• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GMR reviews for this month. Included: ToS, Psi-Ops, N-Gage

Matlock

Banned
City of Heroes - 8
Mega Man Battle Network 4 (RS/BM) - 8
Smash Court Pro Tennis 2 - 6
Chronicles of Riddick - 9
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - 9
Karaoke Revolution Vol 2 - 8
Sonic Advance 3 - 8
Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy - 8
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (console) - 7
Harry Potter and the Prisoner who dropped his soap (GBA) - 6
N-Gage (console review) - 8
Splinter Cell N-Gage = 5
Moto GP N-Gage - 3
Ashen N-Gage - 3
Fifa Soccer 2004 N-Gage - 8
NCAA Football 2004 N-Gage - 8
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater N-Gage - 8
The Sims: Bustin' Out N-Gage - 9
MLB Slugfest: Loaded - 7
Shadow Ops: Red Mercury - 4
Full Spectrum Warrior - 8
Tales of Symphonia - 8
Way of the Samurai 2 - 6
Bujingai: The Forsaken City - 7
Thief: Deadly Shadows - 8

re-reviewed

Ridge Racer Type 4 - Old - 9
Ridge Racer Type 4 - New - 8

Revelations: Persona - Old - 9
Revelations: Persona - New - 8

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Old - 8
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - New - 8

Andy787

Banned
What? How in the fuck can a game system, even if it is ergonomically fantastic, get that good a score, when it has one of, if not the current most pitiful library of any comercial videogame system ever?

Matlock

Banned
skip said:
{outrage!}

{indifference!}

{faint praise/backhanded compliment!}

exactly

GDJustin said:
What's the deal with the re-reviews?

It's a regular section where they go back and look at the superhyped games of the past a second time around. Just a nice little 2-page section near the end of the mag.

Soul4ger

Matlock said:
It's a regular section where they go back and look at the superhyped games of the past a second time around. Just a nice little 2-page section near the end of the mag.

I don't really consider Road Trip and Seek & Destroy to be superhyped games...

Same goes for Klonoa, Jumping Flash!, Silent Bomber, etc...

It's just a Retroview section. They pick older games, and compare how they stand up now compared to then.

Deg

Banned
Andy787 said:
What? How in the fuck can a game system, even if it is ergonomically fantastic, get that good a score, when it has one of, if not the current most pitiful library of any comercial videogame system ever?

Its not GBA so its good by default.

Rhindle

It says something about how dismal Nintendo's developer relations are when the Ngage is getting better Western developer support than the GBA.

Solid

Chronicles of Riddick - 9
Mega Man Anniversary Collection - 9
Tales of Symphonia - 8
thumbs_up.gif

Deg

Banned
Rhindle said:
It says something about how dismal Nintendo's developer relations are when the Ngage is getting better Western developer support than the GBA.

I think its time for a check up.

skip

Rhindle said:

you and I have differing definitions of "better."

WarPig

Soul4ger said:
It's just a Retroview section. They pick older games, and compare how they stand up now compared to then.

Yeh. Hype isn't a factor, although it was fun sticking a few pins in Final Fantasy VII a while back. The main idea, because GMR is a retail mag, is to spotlight stuff people might be looking at in EB's used-game section. That's why the Retroactive section doesn't wander so far afield into imports and really old stuff that you couldn't buy at an EB.

DFS.

Soul4ger

WarPig said:
Yeh. Hype isn't a factor, although it was fun sticking a few pins in Final Fantasy VII a while back. The main idea, because GMR is a retail mag, is to spotlight stuff people might be looking at in EB's used-game section. That's why the Retroactive section doesn't wander so far afield into imports and really old stuff that you couldn't buy at an EB.

DFS.

Your Card Fighters Clash article brought a tear to my eye.

Persona 2 deserves a 9 at least. Still, 8 is hardly bad. It absolutely decimates the original, as much as I love that one too, so I really think it should get higher.

I've been playing the hell out of Persona 2 the past week :D

Tamanon

Banned
Persona 2 definitely deserves at least a 9. It's loads better gameplay wise than Persona 1, but both games are flat out amazing.

P2 is easily the best RPG on the PSOne, IMO. SO MUCH DEPTH, SO MUCH REPLAY! "Don't underestimate me you *beep* bastards!"

Great character designs also:)

WarPig

Soul4ger said:
Your Card Fighters Clash article brought a tear to my eye.

I think the CFC retroview was mainly Mielke's idea, he just had me write it. I still liked the game a whole lot, though. Spent my whole Thanksgiving vacation playing that one back in 2000.

Persona 2, incidentally, is a fine game, extremely innovative in many ways, but it was and is behind the visual curve for the PlayStation, frequently repetitive in some dungeons, and somewhat hampered by a whacko translation. "The goodness of a woman isn't in her bra" and all that. Eight out of 10 is eminently fair -- in fact, I think that's almost exactly what I gave it at IGN back in the day. Or an 8.2 or something like that.

DFS.

I can agree with that. The translation is by no means bad, but there's definitely a lot of areas in the game where I'm left scratching my head because there was definitely a far better way to localize a line of text than the way they did lol.

I'd personally go higher than 8, but I think it is also fed by the fact that original still got an 8 by in the "new" review. There's such a large quality gap between the two that I'd be more likely to drop the orginal to a 7 if I wanted to leave Persona 2 at 8. I love both of them though.

It wouldn't surprise me if Persona 2 EP was possible on the GBA. Personally, I wouldn't mind having a copy of the game to carry around in my pocket. I didn't like it much as a "sit on the couch and unwind" kind of game, though.

The 2D is certainly possible. The animation wasn't all that fluid, admittedly. I think some of the spell animations would have to be toned down though.

However, there was a large amount of 3D in the game and despite what people seem to remember, it was pretty solid overall. Certainly beyond the GBA's capabilities.

SMT and SMT2 both were ported to the GBA in Japan though. I would like to see those brought over... it's possible if the PS2 games do well this year.

Semjaza Azazel said:
SMT and SMT2 both were ported to the GBA in Japan though. I would like to see those brought over... it's possible if the PS2 games do well this year.

I doubt we're ever going to see SMT 1 or 2 over here just because of the religious content. That's still a really touchy subject in gaming.

WarPig

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt we're ever going to see SMT 1 or 2 over here just because of the religious content. That's still a really touchy subject in gaming.

Bullshit. People need to get the fuck over that shit. It's that kind of crackhead paranoia that leads to the shit they did to La Pucelle, a game that might have met with resistance in the fifteenth fucking century, but which in the modern age doesn't mean shit.

I mean, if fucking Xenogears can move a quarter million copies on the US market and not raise a fucking eyebrow, you can get away with anything.

Shit, Shin Megaten 3's gonna have you teaming up with Lucifer to kill God, and I'll lay any odds you care to name nobody gives a fuck.

DFS.

ferricide

shrug, i wrote the retro reviews of persona 1 and 2 ... and, for that matter, i wrote a contemporary review of persona 2 when it came out (at gamers.com), and i still like the first game better. =) and i have a goddamn SMT3 poster hanging in my cube and a ja'aku frost doll sitting on my desk. so. talk to the hand.

Meier

Well there's people who will like every game for whatever reason. For me, I won a free copy off of Gamespot I think it was (back when they used to give out like 30 games a week.. maybe it was some other site, it's been a long time obviously) but I thought it to be so awful I threw it in the trash. Hah.

Top Bottom