• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Go! Go! Kokopolo (DSiWare) |OT| of Indie, Sprite-based, Hyperactive Awesomeness!!!

Mlatador

Banned
Awesome Thread! :D

I just heared about the game for the first time yesterday. I really made me smile :) It looks so much fun :)

TheOGB

Banned
Teetris said:
I wasn't cool with Crash's new design :(
8yvbB.jpg

This one, that was actually used in Twinsanity...

xssO5.jpg

...or this one, from the two most recent games by Radical?

And here's an example of the concept art Keith Webb did for Twinsanity

TheOGB said:
8yvbB.jpg

This one, that was actually used in Twinsanity...

xssO5.jpg

...or this one, from the two most recent games by Radical?

And here's an example of the concept art Keith Webb did for Twinsanity

NICE! Thanks for finding some art by Keith Webb of Crash! I was hoping to find some, major thanks! :D

BTW, Keith gave me a load of high-res art from Kokopolo as requested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?lzu1a10tv9vpy

AND, he also gave me a higher-res copy of the HYPER 8BIT artwork:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2agpyr4.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Game has been on my shopping list since it was launched on the EU store. Glad to see the good impressions.

post-purchase edit: good game is good.

CANLI

I will buy it when I'll add some bucks in a few days.
Can we have a sales number until now? Why people don't add a rating (there are just 2 or 3 ratings for this game in eshop)

CANLI said:
I will buy it when I'll add some bucks in a few days.
Can we have a sales number until now? Why people don't add a rating (there are just 2 or 3 ratings for this game in eshop)
The eshop ratings are most likely for your country only. Here in the US it has 25 ratings.

CANLI

Another Nintendo error to not give other countries' ratings grrr....
Here in Belgium 2 votes: 2 & 5 makes 3,5 .

Ok, I'm on Boss H and Kokopolo runs down the path and "onto" the boss and nothing happens.

Do you have to do something(figure it out) or is this part of my game frozen/glitchy???

Thanks if anyone knows.

Hi, Allow me to formally introduce myself...I am Keith Webb the designer, artist, animator and producer of Kokopolo! :D (and long time lurker, first (second?) time poster!)
First, I wanna say many thanks to you all for downloading and playing the game :D It's been really cool to see the positive response that it is getting, and I'm really glad everyone is enjoying it, as I spent a lot of time trying to get the balance and enjoyment the best it could be!
It was really a really enjoyable process developing Kokopolo, and I'll leak some more details about the dev cycle on here if you like, and feel free to ask any questions about this game and the state of DSiWare evelopment in general! :D

@TheGreatMightyPoo - and any others that have got to Boss H! This issue is being looked into as we speak, and has actually been solved! What should happen is that Kokopolo (or Tatsumo - depending on your player), should run into the gem, knock it over, and wake up the Panda boss (Pandora), thus starting the boss fight. Somehow, though, and we are not sure how, when one of the final bugs was fixed, it pushed the boss forwards 32 pixels, and therefore the hit box isn't activating...OH NOES!!!

Last week we fixed the issue and contacted Nintendo, who are currently testing the final patched version, and it should be ready to fix the issue ASAP! You might actually be the second person in the world to get that far, as only one other peron has reported the bug, so thats cool for you!!!! Congrats!!!

Please accept my apologies about this issue, it's really embarassing, especially as we spent so much time trying to get this quality title out there..but it should be fixed soon!

In the mean time, feel free to try and locate all the scratch cards in time attack mode if you like, for an extra challenge whilst we are updating the glitch!!!

And again, many thanks you guys for being fans of Kokopolo, and feel free to give me any feedback and questions if I ever get to do a sequel!!

All the best-
Skullomania

(also, if anyones got any ideas on how I could promote this game to the masses, let me know! Although it's got a great critical response...sales figures are hillariously low at the mo...can't go into details cause of Nintendo policy...but I lol'ed hard when I saw them!!!)

That sucks that it's not selling, maybe you can try building publicity by doing something like that guy who posted an ad with pictures of a rabbit and threatened to kill the rabbit and eat it if people didn't donate money... at least it would go well with the game's theme of mercilessly killing cute and harmless animals for no reason!
EDIT - This guy

skullomania said:
Hi, Allow me to formally introduce myself...I am Keith Webb the designer, artist, animator and producer of Kokopolo! :D (and long time lurker, first (second?) time poster!)
First, I wanna say many thanks to you all for downloading and playing the game :D It's been really cool to see the positive response that it is getting, and I'm really glad everyone is enjoying it, as I spent a lot of time trying to get the balance and enjoyment the best it could be!
It was really a really enjoyable process developing Kokopolo, and I'll leak some more details about the dev cycle on here if you like, and feel free to ask any questions about this game and the state of DSiWare evelopment in general! :D

@TheGreatMightyPoo - and any others that have got to Boss H! This issue is being looked into as we speak, and has actually been solved! What should happen is that Kokopolo (or Tatsumo - depending on your player), should run into the gem, knock it over, and wake up the Panda boss (Pandora), thus starting the boss fight. Somehow, though, and we are not sure how, when one of the final bugs was fixed, it pushed the boss forwards 32 pixels, and therefore the hit box isn't activating...OH NOES!!!

Last week we fixed the issue and contacted Nintendo, who are currently testing the final patched version, and it should be ready to fix the issue ASAP! You might actually be the second person in the world to get that far, as only one other peron has reported the bug, so thats cool for you!!!! Congrats!!!

Please accept my apologies about this issue, it's really embarassing, especially as we spent so much time trying to get this quality title out there..but it should be fixed soon!

In the mean time, feel free to try and locate all the scratch cards in time attack mode if you like, for an extra challenge whilst we are updating the glitch!!!

And again, many thanks you guys for being fans of Kokopolo, and feel free to give me any feedback and questions if I ever get to do a sequel!!

All the best-
Skullomania

(also, if anyones got any ideas on how I could promote this game to the masses, let me know! Although it's got a great critical response...sales figures are hillariously low at the mo...can't go into details cause of Nintendo policy...but I lol'ed hard when I saw them!!!)

Thanks, dude, didn't think anyone would respond to my dilemma let alone the developer of this wonderful game.

The only reason this "bug"(now that that is cleared up) bugs me is that the game is my most played game in recent memory and I couldn't wait to see it through til the end.

I doubt I am in that small minority that got that far but it's good to know I have some skills, been gaming for a long time and this game just clicked with me and it messes with your mind as you really become one with the levels after a while and they really make you use best advantage of your brain, both with regards to your reflexes on the fly and your memory.

Ok, enough of my technical nonsense: The game is CRIMINALLY underlooked.

I can't believe people are letting this pass them by.

So much content and so few flaws(kind of weird that the plants have limits to how many baddies they can eat, maybe you have to string along the rest--- after the initial ones are eaten---all over again.

But most of all, this is FUN GAMING BLISS and you have nothing to be embarrassed(shit happens) about and hopefully it won't be one of those rare classics that never get followed up on because of something as bewildering as it not selling(if games like Super Meat Boy can sell, this one should as well).

One last thing, this is one of those games that screams for a level editor but I just hope you are able to work on any future game of this name and ilk.

Thanks for your post, it shows developers care.

TheOGB

Banned
skullomania said:
First you make awesome art for Crash Twinsanity

now you come to GAF under the name Skullomania

Keith Webb you are awesome :D

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
skullomania, kudos for the gem! My regards to everyone who was involved in the making.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
skullomania said:
Contest? Cross promotion with your next title? 3DS sequel?

You could also go the "Commander Video" method and start making teaser videos, leak them to IGN, and get them pouncing all over the place with it.

(Silly question time: is it at all possible to release a "3DS Enhanced" port of a DSiWare game with basic support for 3DS Home Menu functions, etc.? Part of me was assuming that it should be possible to compile a DSiWare game under a 3DS development environment just to add base 3DS functionality, then offer both versions for download... but I'm probably an optimistic nut.)

DavidDayton said:
Contest? Cross promotion with your next title? 3DS sequel?

You could also go the "Commander Video" method and start making teaser videos, leak them to IGN, and get them pouncing all over the place with it.

social network and videogame website may represent a solution to make the public know about this game, at least at a niche level, which is not bad at all.

Wow, I saw this in the E-Shop, and thought about picking it up because I thought it looked cool, but now that I've read this thread and know that it's the work of one man (an illustrator to boot) and that he's posting in the game's own NeoGAF OT, I'm going to grab it right now.

CANLI

Maybe If people who liked the game add it to their blog-twitter-Fb, sales can rise a bit.

My question is: I want to buy it but do I have to wait the fix? I leave in Belgium, so don't forget the european version :)

wiibomb

this game is awesome, I suck too hard on it, but it is just awesome, and it deserves very high sales, it is a real shame that this game isn't selling very well, but all I can say is that IMO, this game hasn't sold well because of the advertising of it, very few know how good this game is, even know it exists, it need more trailer to bump its advertising.

I'm sure IGN and other websites would be more than happy to promote it by a trailer

I downloaded the game since last thursday and I am very amazed and trully honored to have it, this game is one of the unknown gems of DsiWare

Awesome! Thanks for all the suggestions, they should really help out with promoting this game further to reach the most peeps possible! I'll get to work on them right away! :)

I probably shouldn't have said too much about the sales, the game is doing a lot better now, and I think it's simply as case of the more people know about it, the more they get interested and want to try it out! But it really helps that it has been so well recieved by the people who have played it so far! :)

In terms of the BOSS-H glitch I mentioned a few posts back - while that is being fixed, it's prob best to take a slight "detour" if you haven't got that far yet! Best thing to do is if you find yourself completing World G - simply take the right hand route to World I, that way you can complete all of World I before going back to H, and unlock 8 extra stages before the glitch... If you've already taken the route to World H, then you might have to just sit back a bit till we get the patch approved by Nintendo! :)

@nincompoop - Yep, that sounds like a really cool idea actually I might try something along those lines, maybe kidnap a hobo or something and only release him after a certain number of copies are sold, lol! (Just kidding by the way - or am I?)

@TheGreatMightyPoo - Yep, a level editor for a future version (maybe a 3DS sequel) is certainly something I'd look into. It's interesting, when planning out the stages initially, how different they look when you are laying them out till when you are actually playing them. Some of the routes are designed to be a little disorientating for the player, so I reckon people could come up with some cool stages with an editor! But you're right, it does ext both your memory and reflexes to the limit! :)

@electroplankton - Just wanna say thanks again for letting me do the interview! ;) Also, World F is pretty good going! :) (It's world H and G where it gets real difficult :O :) )

@Red Liquorice - Lol, thanks for that, but I can't actually take the credit for the pic. I actually got it from one of the Off-Topic pics that make you laugh thread, a while back, and thought it was perfect for Kokopolo :D I did add the "hilarious" text all myself though!!!

@TheOGB - Thanks bro! Glad you like the Twinsanity stuffand concept art! And you're right I wasn't responsible for the "radical" re-design, but more the Twinsanity stuff before then! I also think Skullomania is COOL!!!!!!! (the character, obviously!)

@blu - Thanks buddy, I'll pass on the regards to all the peeps involved! :)

@DavidDayton - Yep, I really wanna develop a 3DS enhanced port (with all new levels though, not a straight port - a sequel more like).It's certainly something in the pipeline...I think a few new characters are waiting to be introduce into the world of Kokopolo too!

@Veal - Thanks! :D

@AlexMeloche - Hope you are enjoying it, and not finding it too frustratingly challenging, lolz!!!! :D

@Duane Cunningham- DO IT!!! GRAB IT NOW!!! (or you prob already have by now, in which case - BUY IT TWICE!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D )

@Pennywise83 - Thanks man! Appreciate the support! I will make sure it sells!

@CANLI - Nintendo haven't confirmed with me yet the details of how they want to go ahead with the patched version, but I'm aware the WiiWare Cave Story had a simple update, so you should be fine! Hope you enjoy it!!

@wiibomb - wow, thanks! It was designed to be the kind of game that the better you get at it, the more skillfully and natural it feels, with getting long chains of enemies and doing speed runs in time attacks, etc! Glad you are still enjoying it, even though you suck, though!! :D :D :D

Today, I got to Boss H again(this time playing as Tatsumo---liked playing as him though he plays the same).

The game is phenomenal, I usually don't care enough about this but a sequel must be made!!!!!!

I look forward to the bug being fixed but don't look forward to the game ending though I'm sure I'll replay it down the road(time trials are a great addition and glad they are there but I've never been too fond of them).

The game is a classic for sure but it leaves a lot of untapped potential to be even better.

My favorite downloadable game for sure and I have some great ones.

watershed

Banned
TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Today, I got to Boss H again(this time playing as Tatsumo---liked playing as him though he plays the same).

The game is phenomenal, I usually don't care enough about this but a sequel must be made!!!!!!

I look forward to the bug being fixed but don't look forward to the game ending though I'm sure I'll replay it down the road(time trials are a great addition and glad they are there but I've never been too fond of them).

The game is a classic for sure but it leaves a lot of untapped potential to be even better.

My favorite downloadable game for sure and I have some great ones.
What happened to your avatar? Got tired of Rose?

artwalknoon said:
What happened to your avatar? Got tired of Rose?

NEVER.

I just went back to having nothing as an avatar after the great and terrible season.

He'll always be my boy and they are always my team, I just prefer no avatar(or a drunk swaying Conker) when posting mostly here.

gogojira

Wow, this game looks great. I've been out of touch with the handheld scene lately, but I'll be downloading this tonight. Count in another copy sold for what it's worth.

Dragmire

I followed this game before it came out and thought it looked great. I got it immediately when it released in the US and I wasn't disappointed. It's a great, arcadey sort of game and a very unique concept. And yes, it's much harder than it seems from the videos. It's a shame it hasn't sold a lot better. It really deserves it.

I don't really know how to get DSiWare games to sell better, but I've told people about it. Maybe if you get more sites to review it and they see that it's a very high quality game, it could become more prominent on sites like Metacritic and GameRankings when people look up DSiWare games. I just checked and the Metacritic score is not at all indicative of the game's quality for a downloadable, indie, portable release.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
nincompoop said:
Fuck, I got the Boss H bug too :( Knowing Nintendo it'll be months before they put up a fixed version of the game.
And saves will probably be deleted.

The gameplay looks like a lot of fun, and I love the sprites and animations in the trailer. This is a definite purchase once I pick up a points card.

WesFX

Neo Member
I love it when game developers join in on the discussion of their games, and luckily it's a great game.
I started on Normal and was getting a bit annoyed, so I switched to Easy and, as I said, I now feel it's a great game.

Though, <__<, I'd personally be careful with the 3DS version talk. I know every time I hear that some WiiWare or DSiWare game could see a 3DS version, I just wanna wait and buy the 3DS version. Well, at least remember that sometimes you need to remind people that the first game needs to sell before you put money into a version on another console or a sequel.

And, since I'm not sure what forums you visit, I'll pass on a little thought from another user that I think could represent the early situation of your game; according to this person, a trailer for Go Go Kokopolo wasn't available the same day as the game, and it could have hindered people from seeing how interesting the game was. I'd guess the strongest concentration of eShop visitors happens each Thursday, so they might not have stumbled on the video till a full week later.

Tyeforce

I've seriously been considering downloading this game. I have a fairly big DSiWare wish list, though, but this one just might be good enough to bump to top of the list.

How would you guys compare this game to the best of the best third party DSiWare? (Mighty Flip Champs!, Mighty Milky Way, Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Cave Story, Plants vs. Zombies, etc.) Does it rank right up there with them? If so, I'll definitely download it. If not, I'll still probably download it, lol. It looks interesting enough. Love the character design, too!

Yagharek

This game looks stupid in a good way (absurdity is something missing from way to many games in recent years). Not everything needs to be po-faced angst.

Sleeping cat > woken up > rage > gameplay

That's logic I can get behind.

Unfortunately its not available nor likely to be available in Australia, so I'll have to remember to get it next time I do a region change on my 3DS.

Pixel art certainly looks impressive in a wayforward kind of way. Good job OP/skullomania on bringing this to my attention.

mr_chun

The sheer effort he put into making this thread make me want to get the game. It's on my wishlist for now. Will probably buy next time I get some eShop moneys.

Tyeforce

Okay, I caved and bought the game. I have to say, it is pretty great. Love the character design the most. The gameplay is great, too. Maybe too hard for me, though, lol. But I really like the game.

There's just one minor gripe I have about the game, and that is the lack of polish. Overall, the game is awesome, but in some areas, particularly text, it seems kinda amateurish. I've spotted quite a few grammar errors with punctuation and whatnot. The sound effects are kind of lacking (or in some cases nonexistent), too. By no means is it a big deal in comparison to the amazing game itself, but it's kinda big to me. I guess I'm just spoiled by the usual Nintendo polish. =p Then again, this is a game that was made by one guy with the help of a few others, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to have perfect polish. It just really bugs my inner grammar nazi, lol.

On the other hand, the gameplay is unique, fun, and addicting, and did I mention how much I love the character design? XD I also love the well animated sprites. The music is pretty good, too. Definitely worth the 800 Points/$7.99.

Top Bottom