• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOAT street racer? NFSU2 vs. Midnight Club 3

The greatest?

• Total voters
The PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2 brought with it a lot of great games, from Final Fantasy X to Metal Gear Solid 3 to Resident Evil 4 and even God of War. But then you look at your DVD copy of The Fast and the Furious and you get the urge to do some illegal street racing after sundown. What was your go-to favorite game in said situation? Specifically if you were to choose between the following two games:

Need for Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
EA Black Box

Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition (2005)
Rockstar San Diego

I think Midnight Club 3 was superior, always enjoyed the different vehicle types and three city maps, but I often see more discussion on Need for Speed: Underground 2.

Last edited:
While Burnout 3 is life...

NFS U1/2 came along at the height of the FnF1 buzz and back when the EA label meant something.

Speed, Customizations, Nos, music. When your menu opens up like this, It was no competition in my college.:

Seems mods are still being done for NFS U2

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
1004004000005701.jpg

Breakage

I preferred NFSU2 over MC3. They are both average racing games, though.

PGR, Blur, MotorStorm and the PS2 era Burnouts would be my go-to games for non-sim motor racing action.

juiced was a killer those pink slip races holy shit man

Dark Souls of racing imo.

All or nothing. I dont think any other game in that genre did the pink slip thing.

I remember effectively breaking my game as I lost my car of which I spent all my money on and ended up without enough cash to buy a new one or even (I'm sure this was a thing in juiced) bet on a race. Had to start a new game.

Last edited:

DiscoJer

I really liked Juiced myself (I liked the team racing aspect), but it didn't have free roam and it's car customization was arguably too realistic, because certain cars were just better than others.

I could never get into Midnight Club 3 as it was way too crazy in terms of things like jumps and such. The original NFS:U was a bit in that direction, but the NFS:U2 was mostly realistic - at least no 200 ft jumps. It also had a better soundtrack.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I loved Midnight Club just for the exploration, including ramping up onto secret areas.

While we're at it, WHY NOT SAN FRANCISCO RUSH?!? Dunno if that actually qualifies as street racing, but I have those stupid "russhhh" and "IT'S DANGEROUSS!" noises stuck in my brain permanently.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
MC is the obvious choice.....NFS hasn't been good since Windows 2000 was new

Blur needs more attention. It's basically WipEout with real cars from the studio behind PGR. I love the dream-like, futuristic visuals:

The BEST arcade racer of that generation

I've chosen Need for Speed: Underground 2, even though I prefer the first game.

Never liked the Mightnight Club games. Thought the first game was absolutely terrible, a work of amateurs in fact. And the subsequent games were IMO way "too over the top" when it came to presentation and car selection. Never liked the "bling bling" stuff.

Fox Mulder

Midnight Club was annoying with the open world checkpoint races instead of closed street courses. I don’t want to look at a map or get lost in a race.

The NFS UG games were amazing arcade racing and released at the right time. Then Most Wanted was great too. Now the genre is just Forza Horizon or shit built around online micro transactions.

Last edited:
I never really understood the big deal with nfs underground series.
But I absolutely loved nfs most wanted. Best racing game ever.

Blur needs more attention. It's basically WipEout with real cars from the studio behind PGR. I love the dream-like, futuristic visuals:

Blur really suffered from not being PGR5. People wanted PGR and Blur is not PGR. It tanked and Bizarre went down with it. Now Blur is really only seen as the game that killed Bizarre Studios which is unfortunate as it was a fun game.

Breakage

Blur really suffered from not being PGR5. People wanted PGR and Blur is not PGR. It tanked and Bizarre went down with it. Now Blur is really only seen as the game that killed Bizarre Studios which is unfortunate as it was a fun game.
Perhaps, but I'm happy they tried something different.

Midnight Club 2 and Burnout 3: Takedown are the best ever.
I like Midnight Club II as well but the Remix edition of Midnight Club 3 also includes Tokyo as a location which was pretty cool. I played the second game, 3: DUB Edition and 3: DUB Edition Remix. Never played the first game or Los Angeles.

I never really understood the big deal with nfs underground series.
But I absolutely loved nfs most wanted. Best racing game ever.
I really enjoyed Most Wanted and by that I mean the 2005 release, not Criterion's version. You ever play the sequel Carbon? I'm kind of curious because at the time I skipped it, then played Pro Street, skipped Undercover and then played Shift. I think Shift 2: Unleashed might have been the last really good Need for Speed (not sure if Heat is any good or not).

I really enjoyed Most Wanted and by that I mean the 2005 release, not Criterion's version. You ever play the sequel Carbon? I'm kind of curious because at the time I skipped it, then played Pro Street, skipped Undercover and then played Shift. I think Shift 2: Unleashed might have been the last really good Need for Speed (not sure if Heat is any good or not).
I did play carbon. It's not bad, but it's definitly not most wanted. Most wanted is just on a whole different level.
I tried Heat at my friends house, played for about an hour and then quit. It's horrible. I like the use of Frostbite, it really looks amazing but everything else is shit.
Also that night and day mechanic is cool but terrible in execution. The cops fuck you in a heartbeat. And you have vehicle damage. Not cool.

I did play carbon. It's not bad, but it's definitly not most wanted. Most wanted is just on a whole different level.
I tried Heat at my friends house, played for about an hour and then quit. It's horrible. I like the use of Frostbite, it really looks amazing but everything else is shit.
Also that night and day mechanic is cool but terrible in execution. The cops fuck you in a heartbeat. And you have vehicle damage. Not cool.
Yeah, it's the same with Need for Speed (2015), the graphics look good but it's no Underground and they made some dumb decisions like always-online and the inability to pause.

Top Bottom