• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Sid

I've played the main ones, but it's been a long time ago. I just figured to broken oath wasn't in relation to the plot of 1, but something else. But if it "just" that, then I guess some of it makes more sense, although wouldn't that go against what they established in 1?
This is a prequel to the entire trilogy,Kratos broke the oath with
Ares
for
tricking him into killing his wife and child
,this is about that.

Hoping to pick this and last of us up by the time I'm done with this semester. I enjoyed GoW3 and I imagine that ascension will be what I'm looking for as well. Reviews are solid and demo was good as well.

velociraptor

Thank you for the response! Looking at it after your post, I guess the new direction for the series was the multilayer, the re-worked combat and the kinder Kratos. like you rightly mentioned, a lot of people look at the multilayer and discount it, when in reality it seems a rather comprehensive mode that is quite bold for the series.

Perhaps many of the journalists out there treated the multilayer with the same level of deflated regard that perhaps robbed it of some of its just deserves? I'm probably guilty of it somewhat myself, even after a very brief go with the Beta, I still wasn't completely sold.

In any case, I'll buy the game and give it another proper effort. More God of War is obviously a good thing for a God of War game, anything less would probably upset the fan base. Going forward though, I do hope bigger changes are made, including ones that make suitable use of the PS4s hardware. Imo it needs to be a new mythos, new weapons, mechanics and/or new main character, more open world or rpg like etc. I also wouldn't mind if the future IP was more technical and less all out offense based, ie Onimusha and the counter/parry system which is vital to combat progress.

Anyway, wish you luck with the release.
That would be terrible.

I still want a story driven 'cinematic' SP experience with God of War. However, if we have a deeper combat system, new weapons, new mechanics, an entirely new character and story arc, I would be thrilled. The game also should have an RPG like upgrade system which a wide myriad of combat moves and new game+. Also, include co-op multiplayer modes e.g. horde mode.

velociraptor

Eygptian GOW would be amazing. Although I'm not sure how 'visually' exciting it would look. In my mind, all I see are deserts. Lol.

There's that other thread about game opening's, and many people including myself have mentioned GOW3 as the biggest and best ever. I think it was always going to be a nigh on impossible task for the Ascension team to top it. If it was up to me I'd have gone the completely opposite direction.

I know that Krotos is more human in this game, and in the demo he even seems to care for one of the Spartans that gets mauled by the mini boss. They could have started the game with Kratos as the general just walking through the encampments of his soldiers, think towards the beginning of Gladiator, and then after speaking to or going through the encampment (tents, soldiers everywhere, training, making weapons etc), lead on to him entering the tent of his wife (que the scene they always show of him with his wife).

Could have moved on to some sort of great battle amidst the battlefield, maybe the one where Ares grants Kratos that army and makes him that damning offer.

Not saying the demo opening isn't spectacular, but it would have set a different tone and could have challenged GOW3's opening in a different sort of way.

That's an incredible idea. :eek:

Still upset that I went in to pre-order just a day or two after the Collector's Edition was no longer available from GameStop. Grrr

The game came out early today in Hong Kong, bought the Collector's Edition, can't expect a top quality statue given the price

in the light, dem horrible eyebrows and eyeliners

F1Pjpnk.jpg

and dat smooth rock

oX6CsOZ.jpg

still looks pretty sweet with some shadows though.

ImUOhdy.jpg

Well i have seen the leaked footage released last week before the video went private and i can say that after the demo, there is one scene that tops the god of war 3 intro completely, but that's just my opinion. It's huge...

Amir0x

Banned
They could not possibly cover a religion that's still practised by hundreds of millions of people. I'd feel uncomfortable myself just playing it

Man, lame. I hate the special status that some random belief has got in this world. People choose to believe something, it shouldn't be beyond criticism or parodying or whatever :(

I agree. Can you imagine Lord Shiva, Vishnu, Durga etc in the game. Would be so freaking amazing!
You know what? I actually would not mind a Dark Souls/ Demon Souls type game set in Hindu mythology as well.

to be fair to your Demon/Dark Souls idea (and I agree), I think every setting ever would make a great Dark Souls/Demon Souls type game. Fuck it, where's my Sesame Street Dark Souls/Demon Souls type game? Tell me you wouldn't play it!

Eygptian GOW would be amazing. Although I'm not sure how 'visually' exciting it would look. In my mind, all I see are deserts. Lol.

Man Egyptian mythology is just ripe for some amazing settings.

Picture this

Our anti-hero walks into a giant hall, flanks of carved pillars intricately drawn up with heiroglyphics of rich blues, reds, black and whites marching down the left and right side of the room. At the far end of the room and building up toward the ceiling are 42 judges and gods, shadows cast over you menacingly as they point you toward a set of pristine golden scales at the center. Your eyes widen as you recognize the device immediately. Horrific scaled hands grab your arms and legs and spread you down on a small altar before the scales. Golden strips run down the floor woven with gems of every rainbow-like hue.

A robed jackal comes before you with a giant onyx dagger and recites some ancient lost Egyptian dialect; as he finishes, he plunges the dagger into your chest and forcibly removes your heart. It pulses grotesquely as it is placed down upon the scales. A feather floats down from the ceiling and lands gracefully upon the other side of the scale. Immediately the balance of the device falls off, creaking back and forth, finally settling in place as the heart nearly touches the floor. "You are damned for your life time of sin."

They march you into the next room, a giant chasm opens up before you. THE GREAT SWALLOWER, Ammit, massive hippo-like body helmed by the head of a crocodile so fierce and so massive that our anti-heros field of vision is completely consumed. You are kicked off into the abyss, and there the player takes control as you face Ammit in an epic classic God of War battle.

I just described the Hall of Truths and the actual scenario of being judged for the afterlife, but the book of the Dead has some amazing fucking scenarios.

Another description

Another location was the Lake of Fire, which was first mentioned in the Book of Two Ways in the Coffin Text (Spell 1054/1166) and illustrated in the Book of the Dead (Chapter 126). Like the "outer darkness," it is a place of regeneration for the sun god and his blessed followers, to whom it provides nourishment and cool water, but a place of destruction for the damned. Birds even fly away from it when they experience the burning, bloody water and small the stench of putrefaction which rises from it. In chapter 126 of the Book of the Dead, its shores are guarded by four baboons who sit at the bow of the barque of Re and who are usually connected to the sunrise. There, they act as judges of the divine tribunal in order to decide who might be granted access through "the secret portals of the West" and who will be delivered to the hellhound, who, according to another spell, is in charge of this place. That demon is the "Swallower of Millions," responsible for devouring corpses, or their shadows, snatching hearts and inflicting injury without being seen.

Yo this game would be so awesome.

Loudninja

It's sad that all you aimed for was to play like a God of War game. This series should be about ambition and being the leader of the pack, not being what we expect. You made a great game here, but after five games in the same formula it was past time to shake things up. I can't think of too many franchises in gaming that go that long without a considerable formula shake up. Especially considring God of War 3 finished the saga, I felt like it was time for something new. And it's clear I'm not alone there. I dunno if it was due to politics not allowing you to go for something a lot fresher, but I'm simply not surprised that critics are panning it.

Hopefully the all time low scores allow for you guys at SSM to sit back and really think what needs to be done, whether its a rest for the franchise or an all new direction. new character, new mythology has seemed the logical way to go for a long time and been discussed by a lot of fans. But you guys have ignored that option (while Jaffe himself said he would have gone that way already).
How in the is that sad?Its is GOW so why shouldn't it play like GOW?

Its not a new IP.

Boss Man

How in the is that sad?Its is GOW so why shouldn't it play like GOW?

Its not a new IP.
It should, but I think his point is fair.

God of War needs to spread its wings. It's starting to feel more like an exhausted series than the franchise that I think everyone expected it to become.

What needs to happen is obvious, everyone has known since Kratos killed Zeus. A change of environment and mythos.

Instead of God of War 3 (which was fantastic), we could have gotten God of War: Book of the Dead set in Egypt with a female protagonist. Then, we could be getting God of War 3 right now on PS3 while Vita gets a prequel to the Egyptian mythos. Next, we could get a new entry into the Egyptian mythos while Vita gets something like Ascension. After that, maybe into Norse mythology. It just needs to spread out a lot more, because it does feel like we keep playing the same game.

I like God of War a lot, mostly because of just how epic it is. The multiplayer could be a huge addition to the franchise, and I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not that's the case. But the truth is that I don't want to just keep getting this game over and over again with better graphics or even with refined combat. The franchise needs to broaden itself a lot, it obviously has the potential to do so and I think that's what most people are on about.

To me, God of War means brutal combat with an absolutely epic campaign. That's the formula. It could grow to mean something for multiplayer as well, which would be great. It doesn't have to mean Greek mythology, Blades of Chaos, or even Kratos for each entry though.

Loudninja

God of War needs to spread its wings. It's starting to feel more like an exhausted series than the franchise that I think everyone expected it to become.

What needs to happen is obvious, everyone has known since Kratos killed Zeus. A change of environment and mythos.

Instead of God of War 3 (which was fantastic), we could have gotten God of War: Book of the Dead set in Egypt with a female protagonist. Then, we could be getting God of War 3 right now on PS3 while Vita gets a prequel to the Egyptian mythos. Next, we could get a new entry into the Egyptian mythos while Vita gets something like Ascension. After that, maybe into Norse mythology. It just needs to spread out a lot more, because it does feel like we keep playing the same game.

I like God of War a lot, mostly because of just how epic it is. The multiplayer could be a huge addition to the franchise, and I'm looking forward to finding out whether or not that's the case. But the truth is that I don't want to just keep getting this game over and over again with better graphics or even with refined combat. The franchise needs to broaden itself a lot, it obviously has the potential to do so and I think that's what most people are on about.
See this is the thing even when they added the multiplayer people complain about it.

I would like to see new mythos, but this is GOW and it doing what it does best.

Honestly the series should be God of War, but they should really consider taking up Jaffe's idea of having the series move onto covering other Godly universes. You could really mix up the mechanics while maintaining the soul of the franchise and mixing up characters, locations and story types.

I'd LOVE an Egyptian or Norse or Hindu version of God of War.

It'd blow people away if the next God of War on PS4 did something like that. Just a tip if they want the next in the series to continue the strong sales and reviews.

oh wow, God of war reboot! but kartos is so iconic now

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

To me, God of War means brutal combat with an absolutely epic campaign. That's the formula. It could grow to mean something for multiplayer as well, which would be great. It doesn't have to mean Greek mythology, Blades of Chaos, or even Kratos for each entry though.

I think if they had made a different GoW earlier in the PS3 lifespan with the way 2 ended, a fan somewhere would have snapped and lit their studio on fire.

Lets be real here they are not going to replace Kratos.

Unless its a new IP of course.

Yes, lets replace kratos just because a small few want to see him go. I hope this game sells really well so those types of people could shut the hell up. This is the second god of war game on the ps3, i don't understand how people could be tired of the series. If i had to criticize something, it would be the combat system.

velociraptor

I think if they had made a different GoW earlier in the PS3 lifespan with the way 2 ended, a fan somewhere would have snapped and lit their studio on fire.

God Of War 3 was absolutely fine. The story needed a conclusion.

However, the end of the 'Kratos trilogy', I too am amazed that SSM made ANOTHER prequel. But I do agree with him - GOW is all about brutal combat with an epic campaign. I hope they continue this on the PS4 on a grander scale. I want to be excited again.

I haven't really felt the hype for this game to be honest. I was extremely excited for GOW3. So excited that I pre-ordered it. As for GOWA, I am simply hoping to pick it up when it is a little cheaper.

I want a Norse God of War where you play as a Valkyrie or something.

^This.
Have you ever played Viking Battle for Asgard? I guess it was just recently released for PC on steam. I played it back on 360. Decent game with some problems, but I still enjoyed it. Man, but with Santa Monica's production values...something like that would be amazing.

I saw that they were also advertising GoW:A along side that new Vikings show on the history channel. I like to think that is a hint at things to come. lol. One can dream...

Greek mythology setting is finished now, moving on to Norse seems like the best move. Egyptian would be too much desert locales to give variety. Keeping Kratos is probably the best idea since he's Sony's most recognisable protagonist except for maybe Nathan Drake.

I wouldn't mind a new protagonist with a new motivation for fighting these mythological figures. I've had my fill of kratos and I feel like a new setting with kratos would only be forced.

I'd rather have someone representative of the region be in the mythology. I don't want a Greek dude doing Norse, Chinese, Egyptian or Indian mythology.

Personally I want to see Chinese mythology or Norse. To be fair I'm not familiar with Egyptian or Indian mythology at all.

velociraptor

^This.
Have you ever played Viking Battle for Asgard? I guess it was just recently released for PC on steam. I played it back on 360. Decent game with some problems, but I still enjoyed it. Man, but with Santa Monica's production values...something like that would be amazing.

I saw that they were also advertising GoW:A along side that new Vikings show on the history channel. I like to think that is a hint at things to come. lol. One can dream...
I think it would be pretty cool to have a Viking universe but set in the future. Similar to Marvel's Thor. This also has great potential for a bigger scope, and I think it's less boring than being stuck to the past.

edit: Norse mythology is probably the closest thing to God of War tbh.

I think we all agree here, the way they should do it is keep Kratos (to please the Kratos fans) and move him into the Norse Mythology somehow (just because it would be to awesome).

I hate the little teaser they add to the end of GoW 3, it just make it feel like the story is not over yet.

I wonder why SSM decide to go ahead with prequel story. they must have put that gow3 end teaser for a reason, as in they already know where they want to take the story forward from that ending.

I hope they didn't put that teaser just as a hook to keep their userbase interested while have no idea where to take it forward, which is why they end up doing prequel instead. :(

Salz01

I hate the little teaser they add to the end of GoW 3, it just make it feel like the story is not over yet.

I wonder why SSM decide to go ahead with prequel story. they must have put that gow3 end teaser for a reason, as in they already know where they want to take the story forward from that ending.

I hope they didn't put that teaser just as a hook to keep their userbase interested while have no idea where to take it forward, which is why they end up doing prequel instead. :(

I forgot about the teaser. I might have to look it up on what it was.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yeah, not sure why they did that. I really don't even see anywhere they could reasonably take the story, it was...pretty damn final, otherwise.

I forgot about the teaser. I might have to look it up on what it was.

it's just showing the place where Kratos supposedly died, but there are no bodies, and there are blood trail leading to the cliff.

some people think it's just Kratos dragging himself and throw himself off the cliff to kill himself, but that doesn't make sense since we already assume Kratos is dead anyway by that point, so why show that teaser at all.

I always thought that mean something took Kratos body for whatever reason.

Yeah, not sure why they did that. I really don't even see anywhere they could reasonably take the story, it was...pretty damn final, otherwise.

my assumption was that some god of underworld/hell from other mythology is the one taking Kratos since Hades is already gone. GoW 4 could start with Kratos in Nilfheim or Naraka, or whatever version of hell from other mythology and Kratos escapes from that. woke up in a very different world in other mythology.

It was the Gravedigger from Ghost of Sparta who put Kratos body in the family grave. Go play Ghost of Sparta! He clearly states it in this game what is going to happen. It was the PERFECT ending, if they somehow put out a sequel after this it would be totally stupid :/ (Except of course with some godly power to revive Kratos in a different time, that would be "ok" i guess.)

youtube of the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQx7rqX5V4k

Mik_Pad

Banned
It was the Gravedigger from Ghost of Sparta who put Kratos body in the family grave. Go play Ghost of Sparta! He clearly states it in this game what is going to happen. It was the PERFECT ending, if they somehow put out a sequel after this it would be totally stupid :/ (Except of course with some godly power to revive Kratos in a different time, that would be "ok" i guess.)

youtube of the scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQx7rqX5V4k

Not possible since The gravedigger was Zeus and you kill Zeus

Salz01

I don't care what mythology they do next, I just hope it's epic, and I wouldn't mind a female lead to switch it up. That said, been playing GoW2 HD this morning, and it still looks and plays great. Hope Ascension delivers.

I think we all agree here, the way they should do it is keep Kratos (to please the Kratos fans) and move him into the Norse Mythology somehow (just because it would be to awesome).

They could always recreate a Kratos character from another mythology. It wouldn't make sense for a Greek hero in a Norse game. Do what the AC series does. Make similar characters with similar appearances in a different setting.

Mik_Pad

Banned
Wow... just read the Wiki for the Grave Digger, is that canon or just a gimmick to please the fans?
I think the same writer did all the GoWs so maybe they are canon, I'm sure CoO is canon since they included what happened to Atlas in GoW II.

I think the same writer did all the GoWs so maybe they are canon, I'm sure CoO is canon since they included what happened to Atlas in GoW II.
Yeah, the PSP titles are canon, but I don't know if the Grave Digger costume is canon - which revealed his identity (because it is an extra obtained way after the game).
But combichrist says it was confirmed by a Dev, so I guess it is true.

velociraptor

Man, lame. I hate the special status that some random belief has got in this world. People choose to believe something, it shouldn't be beyond criticism or parodying or whatever :(

to be fair to your Demon/Dark Souls idea (and I agree), I think every setting ever would make a great Dark Souls/Demon Souls type game. Fuck it, where's my Sesame Street Dark Souls/Demon Souls type game? Tell me you wouldn't play it!

Man Egyptian mythology is just ripe for some amazing settings.

Picture this

Our anti-hero walks into a giant hall, flanks of carved pillars intricately drawn up with heiroglyphics of rich blues, reds, black and whites marching down the left and right side of the room. At the far end of the room and building up toward the ceiling are 42 judges and gods, shadows cast over you menacingly as they point you toward a set of pristine golden scales at the center. Your eyes widen as you recognize the device immediately. Horrific scaled hands grab your arms and legs and spread you down on a small altar before the scales. Golden strips run down the floor woven with gems of every rainbow-like hue.

A robed jackal comes before you with a giant onyx dagger and recites some ancient lost Egyptian dialect; as he finishes, he plunges the dagger into your chest and forcibly removes your heart. It pulses grotesquely as it is placed down upon the scales. A feather floats down from the ceiling and lands gracefully upon the other side of the scale. Immediately the balance of the device falls off, creaking back and forth, finally settling in place as the heart nearly touches the floor. "You are damned for your life time of sin."

They march you into the next room, a giant chasm opens up before you. THE GREAT SWALLOWER, Ammit, massive hippo-like body helmed by the head of a crocodile so fierce and so massive that our anti-heros field of vision is completely consumed. You are kicked off into the abyss, and there the player takes control as you face Ammit in an epic classic God of War battle.

I just described the Hall of Truths and the actual scenario of being judged for the afterlife, but the book of the Dead has some amazing fucking scenarios.

Another description

Yo this game would be so awesome.
That sounds pretty cool.

I would hate any other mythology other than Norse or Eygptian tbh, unless they conjure up something good. No thanks to Indian mythology, plus I imagine it would be offensive to a sizable population on this planet.

all gow games are canon obviously, but it did have alteration and changes due to different directors. I think Jaffe mention that if he was the director of GoW2, he wouldn't go the current GoW2 story route at all. then you have GoW1 wall mural depicting 3 magi thing that didn't end up in any of the other GoW games.

we also have heard Jaffe's idea about where GoW could go after GoW3, how Kratos become Death, and his blade of chaos is melted and forged new as a schyte etc.

Mendrox

Played the game for 5 hours now. It is very nice looking no shit, but I play every God of War on normal and didn't have much trouble... till I started playing Ascension.

The game is so much harder than any other God of War that I die doing everything. There was even one point where I thought that I missed something before a battle so that I didn't know what I had to do till I noticed that I did everything right in killing everything like normal.

It's not a bad point that it got harder (or it's really just me...) but it suddenly got harder than the other God of Wars. I am not even able to dodge anything most of the time, because there are so many enemies which do their "you can't parry shit" move and I keep on going get hit... getting hit reduces your rage meter, reducing the rage meter is like drawing the fuel from a incoming train.

Never mind, everything so far was nice and good and I will keep playing. :)

Top Bottom