• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ascension single player details

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Here's the quote I was talking about earlier. It's from IGN UK. I haven't seen it anywhere else and I'm not sure if it's accurate but it's the closest thing I've seen to a real description of the story for SP.

IGN UK said:
Six months after being tricked into killing his wife and child, a younger Kratos is sentenced to a life of madness with the Furies, caged in a titan sized prison for the living damned. Fighting insanity, his will is tested to the limit as he seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology's darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest for redemption.

The Furies are perfect for a GoW game so I really hope this turns out to be true.

Loudninja

Here's the quote I was talking about earlier. It's from IGN UK. I haven't seen it anywhere else and I'm not sure if it's accurate but it's the closest thing I've seen to a real description of the story for SP.

The Furies are perfect for a GoW game so I really hope this turns out to be true.
Its from the PR
Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC (SCEA) announced today plans to release God of War: Ascension, the newest installment of the multi-million unit selling God of War franchise, exclusively for the PlayStation 3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) Santa Monica Studio, God of War: Ascension is a prequel that will show Kratos’ emotional path of redemption, while detailing the rise of his rage to break free from Ares’ bond. Epic cinematic storytelling, visceral battles, and blockbuster moments will all be present, along with various enhancements, including a revamped combat system and a brand new online multiplayer mode that combines the brutal gameplay and large-scale battles that God of War is known for to create a competitive experience like never before.

“The bar has been set quite high for this franchise as each God of War title succeeds in being better than the last,” said Todd Papy, Game Director, God of War: Ascension, SCE WWS Santa Monica Studio. “But, unlike previous releases, we’re providing a deeper look into Kratos’ tormented past and psyche that fans have not seen before. Combined with refined gameplay, jaw-dropping visuals, and a fresh twist on competitive gaming with our new online multiplayer mode, I guarantee that God of War: Ascension will give fans what they have been eagerly waiting for, and much more.”

For the first time ever in a God of War game, players can compete in online or offline multiplayer battles that combine the fierce combat and scale of the franchise with a unique gameplay experience. Built off of the heart and soul of the single-player campaign, this brand new option can include up to eight players and offers a variety of different multiplayer modes, along with customizable avatar warriors with a range of weapons, armor, and more.

Utilizing state-of-the-art visual technologies, the Santa Monica Studio team has made significant strides to bring unmistakable realism to the gameplay experience. God of War: Ascension will feature a revamped combat and weapon system, promptless mini-games, and new puzzle challenges, coupled with fluid, life-like characters, dynamic lighting effects, and world-changing scenarios that will truly bring Kratos and the environment around him to life.

Set in the realm of Greek mythology, God of War: Ascension is an epic adventure that allows players to take on the climactic role of the ex-Spartan warrior Kratos as he finds a way to break the blood oath that binds him to the god, Ares. Six months after being tricked into killing his wife and child, a younger Kratos is sentenced to a life of madness with the Furies, caged in a titan sized prison for the living damned. Fighting insanity, his will is tested to the limit as he seeks to break his bond and gain the clarity to seek revenge on Ares for his part in the death of his family. Armed with double-chained blades, Kratos must take on mythology’s darkest creatures while solving intricate puzzles throughout his merciless quest for redemption.

God of War: Ascension is an action-adventure game that offers an epic single-player story mode, as well as a deep, innovative multiplayer experience. The title has an ESRB rating of “RP” for Rating Pending. A release date has not been set yet. For more information about the ESRB, visit www.esrb.org. For more information about the God of War franchise, visit www.GodofWar.com.
http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/04/g...-multiplayer-revamped-gameplay-and-new-media/

Kratos will have long flowing hair.
Twilight_TaylorLautner-thumb-500x368-10797.jpg

Valnen

No longer struggling to open chests seems weird, it means Kratos actually got weaker over time?

I guess gameplay should always come before story though...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
of course locked 30, since the constant switching between framerates creates an annoying stutter.
Framerate in gow3 almost never goes all the way down to 30. It averages at 50 probably. Hovers between 40 - 60 most of the time, has very high quality motion blur, and really feels very smooth. Definitely smoother than 30FPS game ever could.

GatorBait

No longer struggling to open chests seems weird, it means Kratos actually got weaker over time?

Perhaps the build quality and materials of Greek chests simply improved over the course of Kratos' lifetime?

Fezan

or chests got stronger.

Also there will be some new fancy groundbreaking cloth tech.

hyperbole by me they just said new cloth tech

Nizz

Framerate in gow3 almost never goes all the way down to 30. It averages at 50 probably. Hovers between 40 - 60 most of the time, has very high quality motion blur, and really feels very smooth. Definitely smoother than 30FPS game ever could.
Yep, I'm fine with the framerate in GOW3. And if it's going to be the same in Ascension then I'm good with that. GOW3's framerate felt great to me, the game felt responsive and smooth.

Motion blur was used beautifully also. I see that they said Ascension would have more color in the game than GOW3 but I felt like GOW3 was plenty colorful as is. Reading this thread I feel like replaying through GOW3 again. Game was beautiful and played awesomely.

Endo Punk

6 months after he killed his family :( I wanted to see Kratos's interaction with his family. Sigh, well there better be flashbacks to that time, and playable flashbacks like in UC3.

The Jer

Chest opening always annoyed me. It was the worst in the first GOW and got progressively better, though. Glad they're finally gonna fix it.

Loudninja

Haha I think you guys are reading too much into that.

Its and old mechanic thats finally getting updated.

PerZona

Nice, I always wanted to use Kratos without the ash form. Looks like the story would be deeper (and hopefully better) this time round.

Ravage

I always felt like the chests being difficult was to add to the tension of the combat. To create enough time to open a chest could be a delicate balance.

I agree with this. Health and mana chests are present in some of the combat areas and finding the right timing to open them is part of the gameplay.

Zen

Banned
I'm happy to hear that the game will be closer to God of War I in length, 2 and 3 went on too long and ended up losing momentum as a result.

Blah, terrible, another prequel set during the same completely irrelevant time period as CoO. What happened to this one being set before Kratos earned the title of the Ghost of Sparta? That would have actually added to the story.

Yeah, very disappointing. We've had 3 games that have billed themselves as 'origin' stories and were nothing of the sort.

of course locked 30, since the constant switching between framerates creates an annoying stutter.

When you're locked if it drops and you go below 30fps, you drop right to 20fps, this is when you get your annoying stutter. The point of variable fps is so you don't have stutter, but you might have screen tearing, unless you have tripple buffering.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
When you're locked if it drops and you go below 30fps, you drop right to 20fps, this is when you get your annoying stutter. The point of variable fps is so you don't have stutter, but you might have screen tearing, unless you have tripple buffering.

Locked means locked, not v-synced. If it was locked it wouldn't go below 30, period.

It sounds to me like Kratos will be tormented by hallucinations which is a fantastic opportunity to create interesting boss fights even though the gods and titans won't be the enemies this time around. They could also use it as an excuse to make tedious hallucination narrative scenes that can't be skipped and serve merely to annoy the player on repeated playthroughs. I hope they choose wisely.

Kinyou

Well at least it isn't playing during the period where he already was a god. Kind of annoys me in Ghost of Sparta. Or was there a reason why he (as a god) has to use a ship to get to a location, or why he just doesn't rip everyone apart as some 50 meter tall Kratos? (like in the beginning of god of war 2)

Locked means locked, not v-synced. If it was locked it wouldn't go below 30, period.

What you want the game to crash if by whatever reason the game has to drop to 29.99 due to that extra pixel from a particle effect? It's not like you have an imaginary gremlin looking at your game pointing a finger at the game saying "you're locked at 30, locked or I'll shut this shit down!", you're basically throwing perfectly good shit out of the game until there's no reason for the game to go below a certain framerate because it's not rendering as much anymore, even then you could possibly have that extra particle effect or transparency effect that might give your framerate a little dip.

Basch

Story wise or game-play wise??

If the former: awesome, if the latter: why?

Either wise, bad. I enjoyed God of War III far more than either of the other two. For me...

GOWIII > GOW >>>>> GOWII

God of War III's art direction and cinematography was why I fell in love with it as much as I did, as well as the ending. Loved the parallels they were using when Kratos basically destroyed the world and Pandora serving as hope/love (a way to get back to his family).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
What you want the game to crash if by whatever reason the game has to drop to 29.99 due to that extra pixel from a particle effect? It's not like you have an imaginary gremlin looking at your game pointing a finger at the game saying "you're locked at 30, locked or I'll shut this shit down!", you're basically throwing perfectly good shit out of the game until there's no reason for the game to go below a certain framerate because it's not rendering as much anymore, even then you could possibly have that extra particle effect or transparency effect that might give your framerate a little dip.

I don't "want" anything. I was pointing out that you were talking about v-sync but calling it locked, which is different. A locked frame rate does not necessarily mean the game will drop to 20fps if it can't render 30fps. That's what v-sync means, if you're assuming a 60Hz refresh rate. Am I wrong about this?

Endo Punk

Nudge Camera huh, sounds good to me. I hope they never add controllable camera, static is great and GoW does it the best. I don't feel its a dated mechanic like most do.

Nudge Camera huh, sounds good to me. I hope they never add controllable camera, static is great and GoW does it the best. I don't feel its a dated mechanic like most do.

I still kinda want a button to get into first person view or over the shoulder camera so that you can really see everything around you.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I was just playing GOW1 last night because of all these GOW:A threads, and there are several beautiful, impeccably framed scenes in the Athens area. It emphasized for me what was missing in GOW3. I can't remember any strikingly composed vistas in that game, though there must have been some. The atmosphere of GOW1 just really holds up. Jaffe is a great man. (And obviously the team is top notch, too.)

That said, I have no problem with allowing camera nudging.

So if this follows the bigger and more bad ass approach that video game sequels then it would mean that kratos' exploits in the other god of war games were less impressive in context.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Very good news :) The new system about opening chest is also highly welcome. I hope it is the same with health/magic fountains as well.

Indeed. I actually though that GoW3 was 60fps until i've recently read that i was around 45fps. From what i can recall, i never noticed any slowdowns in GoW3.

Then you're not sensitive to framerate, cause I dunno how could you mistaken GOW3 for a 60fps action game, it achieves 60 when there's nothing on screen for mere seconds and you can feel the game lacking responsiveness during combat.
I think the variable framerate is the better option for GOW, doesn't introduce stutters like in PC games if that's what you guys are thinking about. Although I sincerely doubts it averages 45fps during combat gameplay in the majority of situations, is there a DF analisys to confirm such a thing?

The Lamp

I thought all that footage was of multiplayer, i.e. not Kratos.

I mean, it looks exactly like Kratos and there are no other players running around, so I don't know. They even do the camera pan-in thing they did in GoW3 on this character, so it's obviously Kratos. I doubt it's multiplayer. Might be though, but even then, it's Kratos with normal skin.

I mean the first video here @ 6:56:
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/god-of...sion-meilleurs-moments-video-actu-489962.html

Alex

Most exciting thing on that to me is the chest opening, haha. Sucks about no campaign co-op, so I hope the specific modes for it are meaningful because thats really the only thing interesting to me at the moment, I'm just really spent on God of War.

Alastor

I mean, it looks exactly like Kratos and there are no other players running around, so I don't know. They even do the camera pan-in thing they did in GoW3 on this character, so it's obviously Kratos. I doubt it's multiplayer. Might be though, but even then, it's Kratos with normal skin.

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/god-of...sion-meilleurs-moments-video-actu-489962.html

You're right. It's Kratos, or someone very, VERY similarly looking. Looks like a couple of seconds of a single-player footage, nice find!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

It's the MP character default body. I saw the pan around in another, brighter video too. The face looks a bit different and the body type is a bit bulkier than Kratos. Different tattoos too. I'm not sure what the context of that scene is though since I don't see other players unless they're in another part of the map and there's a staggered start or something.

Top Bottom