• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok difficulty options explained

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: Reddit

God of War Ragnarok Difficulties

*Give me a Story
*Give me Grace
*Give me Balance
*Give me no Mercy
*Give me God of War

They said Give me God of War on 2018 was harder at the start intentionally, so people could have an idea of how hard it could get and let them decide to restart the game with a lower difficulty.

Now, Give me God of War on Ragnarok will have a more nomarlized difficulty that will grow as the game goes on. They also said you will be able to lower from GMGOW to one of the lower difficulties if it's too much for you, but you won't be able to go back up to GMGOW if you do so. The other difficulties you can lower and raise them as much as you want.

They also said each difficulty has been tested and modified to make them work, not just damage and health scales. They said the higher difficulties won't have enemies that feel like sponges anymore, since they can still be killed rather fast, but will be faster, more agressive and cause more damage.

anothertech

Give me grace...
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Probably gonna go with the 2nd hardest, as that's usually the most balanced mode while still having some challenge. "Normal" is always incredibly easy nowadays, in every single game.
This is particularly true for GoW games. Ever since the first game, I've always opted for Hard mode the first playthrough. And each time, it felt like the proper choice. Normal is just button mashing and not much more than that.

RickSanchez

Source: Reddit

God of War Ragnarok Difficulties

*Give me a Story
*Give me Grace
*Give me Balance
*Give me no Mercy
*Give me God of War

They said Give me God of War on 2018 was harder at the start intentionally, so people could have an idea of how hard it could get and let them decide to restart the game with a lower difficulty.

Now, Give me God of War on Ragnarok will have a more nomarlized difficulty that will grow as the game goes on. They also said you will be able to lower from GMGOW to one of the lower difficulties if it's too much for you, but you won't be able to go back up to GMGOW if you do so. The other difficulties you can lower and raise them as much as you want.

They also said each difficulty has been tested and modified to make them work, not just damage and health scales. They said the higher difficulties won't have enemies that feel like sponges anymore, since they can still be killed rather fast, but will be faster, more agressive and cause more damage.
Any more details on the "Give me a Story" mode ? I generally have very bad reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination, so the easiest difficulty on God of War (2018) was actually quite difficult for me. I only managed to complete the story when the PC version came out and i was able to use trainers. But i am hoping to be able to play this one at launch on my PS5. Fingers crossed the 'story' mode is actually a breeze.

Last edited:
Any more details on the "Give me a Story" mode ? I generally have very bad reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination, so the easiest difficulty on God of War (2018) was actually quite difficult for me. I only managed to complete the story when the PC version came out and i was able to use trainers. But i am hoping to be able to play this one at launch on my PS5. Fingers crossed the 'story' mode is actually a breeze.
Give me a story mode is just what it says, in that mode enemies will drop dead in a second, you only have to point your wapon to them.
Atreus, wil kill 70% of the enemies for you and you dont have to sh*t to even try to help him.

You dont have to skill up. And when you dont know wich NPC (non playable character) you must speak to, that NPC will wave his/her arms and will scream:"Over here!!"

And when your lost you must push on options, a big yellow arrow wil point you the way you have to go.
And on the map is a red line from the begin of your story till the end. No side roads inside.
Easy peasy😉.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Give me a story mode is just what it says, in that mode enemies will drop dead in a second, you only have to point your wapon to them.
Atreus, wil kill 70% of the enemies for you and you dont have to sh*t to even try to help him.

You dont have to skill up. And when you dont know wich NPC (non playable character) you must speak to, that NPC will wave his/her arms and will scream:"Over here!!"

And when your lost you must push on options, a big yellow arrow wil point you the way you have to go.
And on the map is a red line from the begin of your story till the end. No side roads inside.
Easy peasy😉.
Sounds good ! Will wait for the reviews to confirm but will most likely grab this at launch

Saber

Gold Member
Gonna guess the first one is the so called "Game Journalist" mode.

Also, I like what read. Not having sponge enemies is aways appretiated in a world of clowns who lazily put billions of health or reduced damage to enemies and call the game harder.

Last edited:

Darak

I always play all my games in the hardest mode available, and did the same in GoW, but I think I would have enjoyed the game more if I played it in the previous difficulty. In fact, I decided not to go for the post-credits content because it was too annoying and time consuming in that mode IMHO, so this looks like a good addition.

Banned
So now we’re apparently complaining about the names given to difficulty levels.

Jesus fucking Christ, you people…

naming is an intrinsic issue with difficulty options in general.
playing Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart on Normal (Rebel Agent... or something) is like playing with cheats on,
meanwhile playing Doom Eternal on Normal (Hurt Me Plenty) is somewhat challenging... not a lot but a bit,
then you play Devil May Cry 3 on Normal and some bosses actually will kick your ass.

and descriptions also usually don't help, because they are highly subjective and someone who has a completely different concept of challenge as written those.

I personally am against having difficulty options for your first playthrough in the first place. most of the all time best games out there have a singular mode, with maybe additional ones unlockable after finishing the game and that's totally fine and way better.
the way Devil May Cry 3 handled it was also a great idea, having 1 mode and then if you suck you get the option to play on a lower mode. after you finish the game you get higher modes etc.

so IMO there shouldn't be difficulty modes and if there are they should not be an option while playing for the first time (maybe only through a cheat or something)

RickSanchez

so IMO there shouldn't be difficulty modes and if there are they should not be an option while playing for the first time (maybe only through a cheat or something)
Then, I'm glad you're not making video games. Elitist gatekeeping like this will alienate a majority of gamers. Some of us just don't have the physical co-ordination or reaction speeds required for anything above the easiest difficulty; but we do have the $70 equivalent to spend for a good narrative experience. Games should be inclusive to everyone.

Games that have easy difficulty modes have been thriving critically and commercially for years (especially Sony first party offerings), precisely because they are so accessible.

zkorejo

The middle one will be my pick. I'll assume it's normal.

Iirc God of war 2018 had the same options and I went with middle one and it was good enough for me.

Lasha

The change from damage sponge enemies sounds promising. I did my playthrough on GMGOW and the difficulty felt so artificial. You've fucked up balancing when boss fights end up being a respite from the hellscape. It was definitely designed for people to play it on NG+ with runics and stuff since it becomes pretty standard once you level up a bit.

Rykan

I think it's strange that even after all these advancements, I'm still being asked what difficulty level I want to play at the start of a game. It's a strange question because I have no idea what any of these difficulties mean. How difficult is normal? What is hard? What makes hard harder than normal? How do I know which difficulty is right for me?

Do these difficulties take into account that I will get better at the game as I progress, or does the difficulty stay consistent?

It's strange that this burden still falls upon players.

GymWolf

The change from damage sponge enemies sounds promising. I did my playthrough on GMGOW and the difficulty felt so artificial. You've fucked up balancing when boss fights end up being a respite from the hellscape. It was definitely designed for people to play it on NG+ with runics and stuff since it becomes pretty standard once you level up a bit.
I hope that not having sponge enemies is gonna traduce in more aggressive enemies, they have to ramp up difficulty in some way in the hardest difficulty mode.

GymWolf

I think it's strange that even after all these advancements, I'm still being asked what difficulty level I want to play at the start of a game. It's a strange question because I have no idea what any of these difficulties mean. How difficult is normal? What is hard? What makes hard harder than normal? How do I know which difficulty is right for me?

Do these difficulties take into account that I will get better at the game as I progress, or does the difficulty stay consistent?

It's strange that this burden still falls upon players.
If you played most AAA games you should know that normal is piss easy, hard is normal and very hard is a decent challenge.

First gow was a bit of a white fly because very hard was seriously hard, but if they re-balanced that to make it less frustrating, i can see my description being accurate for ragnarock aswell.

Top Bottom