• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok difficulty options explained

I think it's strange that even after all these advancements, I'm still being asked what difficulty level I want to play at the start of a game. It's a strange question because I have no idea what any of these difficulties mean. How difficult is normal? What is hard? What makes hard harder than normal? How do I know which difficulty is right for me?

Do these difficulties take into account that I will get better at the game as I progress, or does the difficulty stay consistent?

It's strange that this burden still falls upon players.

I would recommend starting from the hardest and just slowly reduce the difficulty to a level that you feel comfortable with.

RickSanchez

If you played most AAA games you should know that normal is piss easy, hard is normal and very hard is a decent challenge.

First gow was a bit of a white fly because very hard was seriously hard, but if they re-balanced that to make it less frustrating, i can see my description being accurate for ragnarock aswell.

I really don't understand comments like these. Generalising the experience of every gamer for every game. How in the f##k do you know if I will find the normal mode "piss easy" ?

I usually look for the absolute easiest difficulty mode on every game, and if it turns out to be baby level easy, I'm all the happier for it, because I'm looking for a relaxed experience.

I could barely manage the easiest difficulty of GOW2018. Normal mode would have kicked my ass, and the hardest more would have been totally impossible for me.

There are people out there like me who need and want relaxed experiences out of their AAA games. Good thing we're being pandered to because we can afford to pay the launch price without taking a loan from our parents.

GymWolf

I really don't understand comments like these. Generalising the experience of every gamer for every game. How in the f##k do you know if I will find the normal mode "piss easy" ?

I usually look for the absolute easiest difficulty mode on every game, and if it turns out to be baby level easy, I'm all the happier for it, because I'm looking for a relaxed experience.

I could barely manage the easiest difficulty of GOW2018. Normal mode would have kicked my ass, and the hardest more would have been totally impossible for me.

There are people out there like me who need and want relaxed experiences out of their AAA games. Good thing we're being pandered to because we can afford to pay the launch price without taking a loan from our parents.
Maybe you are just bad at action games if easy on gow was still barely manageable.

I was talking for people with average/good skills.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Maybe you are just bad at action games if easy on gow was still barely manageable.

I was talking for people with average/good skills.
I am bad at games in general, not just action games. Yet I have enjoyed dozens of games throughout the years by using easy difficulty options (or trainers on PC).

People with good gaming skills are great, but you guys are few in number relatively. A big Sony AAA game like GOW needs to be accessible for more people. There are always Elden Ring, Returnal and other such games for more hard-core guys.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I am bad at games in general, not just action games. Yet I have enjoyed dozens of games throughout the years by using easy difficulty options (or trainers on PC).

People with good gaming skills are great, but you guys are few in number relatively. A big Sony AAA game like GOW needs to be accessible for more people. There are always Elden Ring, Returnal and other such games for more hard-core guys.
Nah, i'm pretty shit with fps, i only play those at max difficulty if they have rpg mechanics like cyberpunk and rage 2, in stuff like wolfenstein or doom i play on normal or hard, never very hard or ultra hard or above, same for pure action games like dmc.

I have nothing against difficulty levels on any game except forcing them on developers who don't want them like miyazaki.

Last edited:
Only complaint I have about Give Me God of War difficulty was with enemies being health sponges early in the game as they could level up mid-battle to the Skull level (basically 1-hit K.O.) when you barely had any weapon movesets or skills unlocked.

That’s Sony’s preferred gamer. Day one PSN store 70$ gamers.

Not these coupon 40$ disc resell to gamestop gatekeeping fucks.

That being said, I do like some trophies being attached to difficultly.

Fake

They said Give me God of War on 2018 was harder at the start intentionally, so people could have an idea of how hard it could get and let them decide to restart the game with a lower difficulty.

Bullshit. I played the game. The problem with those devs are they never know the meaning of 'hard' in difficult.

Making foes like a sponge have nothing to do with difficult at all. Just make the game boring because regular foes take ages to be defeated. This was a problem since the introduction of open world games.

Instead of increase the aggressivity of the enemy or increase the patern of the attacks, they just use hit point multiplier scale with level difficult. Just like Skyrim use level scaler. Is just a lazy way of make things harder.

Last edited:

DonF

Probably gonna go with the 2nd hardest, as that's usually the most balanced mode while still having some challenge. "Normal" is always incredibly easy nowadays, in every single game.
Same, that's usually the difficulty that demands the player to use all the game mechanics and arsenal.

Lower difficulties you can get away with just smashing buttons.

Lasha

That’s Sony’s preferred gamer. Day one PSN store 70$ gamers.

Not these coupon 40$ disc resell to gamestop gatekeeping fucks.

That being said, I do like some trophies being attached to difficultly.

Are you guys really celebrating being good consumers? Or did I miss something?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'll be playing through on normal as I do the majority of the time. The most recent exception being Alien Isolation.

I'm surprised to see, in this day and age, people concerned with how others play their games. You'd think with time people would eventually come to understand some don't always play games for a challenge. The older you get, the less dexterity you have, less strength and stamina as well, yet some young people still try to claim gaming as only their entitlement, which baffles me. It's like we've come so far, but not really.

Top Bottom