• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok ( Speculation )

Tschumi

All i can say is that sounds Incredibly hype, and i thought the series benefited from the change of pace in the reboot ... So if this is just like God of war 4 I'll be pristinely uninterested

All i can say is that sounds Incredibly hype, and i thought the series benefited from the change of pace in the reboot ... So if this is just like God of war 4 I'll be pristinely uninterested
GOW was great but I think it has become a little overrated
It's TLOU combined with Dark Souls
A lot of walking and talking I could give two shits about
I missed the balls to the wall action like the sequel from the original PS2 franchise and that crazy opening to GOW3
I have a feeling Ragnarok will take an astronomical leap over the last game
That's if it's PS5 exclusive of course
Hopefully we see set pieces, gameplay sequences, and other ideas that are unbelievable and unprecedented in scale and quality due to the PS5's technology
Meaning impossible on last gen hardware
I have high expectations

Last edited:

Tschumi

GOW was great but I think it has become a little overrated
It's TLOU combined with Dark Souls
A lot of walking and talking I could give two shits about
I missed the balls to the wall action like the sequel from the original PS2 franchise and that crazy opening to GOW3
I have a feeling Ragnarok will take an astronomical leap over the last game
That's if it's PS5 exclusive of course
Hopefully we see set pieces, gameplay sequences, and other ideas that are unbelievable and unprecedented in scale and quality due to the PS5's technology
Meaning impossible on last gen hardware
I have high expectations
That's totally legit.. i was never very interested in the PS2/3 model so i guess that's where the difference lies between our views... That said, i think you own the series as a fan of the og style, so i wouldn't begrudge you getting that back

Sleepwalker

This reminds me that they teased us with areas you couldn't access in the game, I always thought they would be DLC but I guess it was just that, a tease.

kyliethicc

If Gran Turismo 7 and Horizon Forbidden West both ship by October, and God of War 2 is ready for November, they'll ship it this fall.

Otherwise, they'll push Horizon back to November and ship GoW2 in Feb-April 2022.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

ZhugeEX is, I believe, some kind of credible industry insider.

The only thing I can tell you is that at that particular point in time, I believed he suggested GoW Ragnarok was going to be a PS5 exclusive.

That said, I could have interpreted him incorrectly, as I do make mistakes.

He either suggested it on Twitter or ResetERA. Can't dig it up now though.

Edit:

Read the comments. I wasn't the only one who interpreted one of his comments as Ragnarok being a PS5 exclusive. Though he seems to deny it here.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ZhugeEX is, I believe, some kind of credible industry insider.

The only thing I can tell you is that at that particular point in time, I believed he suggested GoW Ragnarok was going to be a PS5 exclusive.

That said, I could have interpreted him incorrectly, as I do make mistakes.

He either suggested it on Twitter or ResetERA. Can't dig it up now though.

Edit:

Read the comments. I wasn't the only one who interpreted one of his comments as Ragnarok being a PS5 exclusive. Though he seems to deny it here.

I never knew ZhugeEX commented anything on GOW, so can't say about that. But generally speaking, ZhugeEX is pretty reliable. I'd completely trust anything he says.

Last edited:
I can see Ragnarok delayed into 2022.

I hope this is the last Norse-themed game, I don't want characters and events to be teased yet again. I wonder if the areas from the first game will be included.

Astorian

If there wasn't a global pandemic I'd totally believe it would come this year but yeah..

As for the game being a DLC, I'd say there is no chance if it's called Ragnarok.

D.Final

Banned
I mean a 2021 GOW game is too early don’t you think , maybe it’s like an expansion to the original game and you need to have the last game so you can play the new GOW . If you look at it there are realms you can’t travel to ..right ? and much more I think they will unlock it by this ( huge DLC ) maybe?

What do you think GAF

GOW Ragnarock is a 2022 game.
Probably

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I love God of War, but I'd like Sony to experience backlash if this game doesn't release in 2021. They announced it's release date at the pivotal moment before this gen launched, knowing that the 2021 game lineup would be a huge factor in which system people purchased. That kind of sneaky behavior would really tick me off. Here's hoping for 2021.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Vikings tv show and Ubisoft game inspired Kratos Ragnar, killing Odin is something I’d like to see, more raids, dealing with British kings.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I love God of War, but I'd like Sony to experience backlash if this game doesn't release in 2021. They announced it's release date at the pivotal moment before this gen launched, knowing that the 2021 game lineup would be a huge factor in which system people purchased. That kind of sneaky behavior would really tick me off. Here's hoping for 2021.

What if the game honestly was going to come out in 2021, but just got delayed 3 months to March 2022?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
What if the game honestly was going to come out in 2021, but just got delayed 3 months to March 2022?
Still unacceptable. The stakes are too high to promise something of that caliber and not deliver.
Maybe I'd give them the benefit of the doubt had they not already tried to pull wool over everyone's eyes with "we believe in generations" exaggeration.

yurinka

I'm tired of the 'GoWR won't be released on 2021' or 'GoRW is barely a DLC' FUD bullshit.

No, it's a full game direct sequel that if released in H2 2021 (what it seems since they announced it for 2021) it will have been aprox. the same development time than recent GoW games.

They decided to don't show the game because prefered to keep their marketing focus on the PS5 launch and many other exclusives that were going to be released before, and saved the related news bullet for later. Probably for when the PS5 launch solved its supply constrain issues and all their 2020+Q1 2021 and probably Q2 2021 have been marketed and released.

I expect them to show GoW and Horizon 2 gameplay on E3 in addition to showcase there their other H2 2021 exclusives (including big multi games with marketing deals) and announce some extra 2022 exclusive.

I think the game was originally planned for March 2021 but got delayed half a year due to covid. I think won't be delayed to 2022 because they, Guerrilla and ND may have been the 3 first studios to work with PS5, the game is going to be a direct sequel so in terms of game design and engine (other than adding some next gen shiny stuff like extra detail, better lighting or RT, 3D audio and DualSense features support) I don't think there will be huge changes.

They also said that there was a lot of cut content from the previous GoW, that I assume they will put most of it here so a good portion of it very likely was partly of it already done for the previous game. Or at least they had a lot of related work already done and saved it for the new one, where they won't need to reboot everything.

And well, GoWR and Horizon 2 are the two biggest Sony exclusives for 2021 so I assume they will want to make sure these games are released in 2021.

Why would you think Ragnarok is a Miles Morales-type expansion?
Fanboys who hate Sony and spread FUD. This is why they say it will be delayed to 2022, that it will be basically a small DLC.

They did the same last year with Miles Morales, which ended being a full game with ~8h of main story and ~20h of total content for completionists. Not very different of all Gears and Uncharted games except Uncharted 4. But in that case Sony said Morales was going to be in scope more similar to Lost Legacy than to the first Spiderman, and they didn't say the same for GoW.

GOW Ragnarock is a 2022 game.
Probably
The only official thing they said about GoWR it's that it's a 2021 game. And that it features Ragnarok as teased in the previous one, so it's a direct sequel.
As for the game being a DLC, I'd say there is no chance if it's called Ragnarok.
They stated multiple times GoW 2018 won't have DLCs and they will have been working on Ragnarok for the same time they always spent for a full game. Ragnarok it's a full game, the direct sequel of GoW 2018.

Maybe it's just a standalone Expansion like Spider-Man.
Miles Morales isn't an expansion. It's a full game. A spin-off.

Last edited:

OrionNebula

I still speculate that ‘’Ragnorok’’ isn’t the title of the game. Teaser only says ‘’Ragnarok is coming’’

As for 2021 release?
Captain America Laughing GIF by mtv

We haven’t seen a single image and we’re a 1/4 in the year, and Horizon 2 promo will start before GoW’s
My money’s on 2022 for sure at this point

Alright

Banned
If the production shortage doesn't resolve soon, expect games to be pushed back, even if they're finished.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I really shouldn't be leaking this since it's early and a lot might still change. But fans are going to be really surprised. Let's just say kratos' past is catching up to him and he may not make it when odin and thor show up. But Atreus isn't the only main character! You spend half the game as Abbeya the Norse goddess of weightlifting who has beef with kratos. Coming fall 2022 on ps4, ps5 and gamepass.

I guess you get mijonir from killing Thor. even though the axe is just like it but ice element. I hope they make the boss fights more interesting than kratos destroying all Gods like nothing and wiping out this mythology like Greek ones. Kratos seems like the strongest being in all the lands.

SSfox

GOW Ragnarok is one my most antipated next gen game alongside Elden Ring and GT7. I hope it won't be disapointting as TLOU2, TLOU1 was masterpiece and easily one of the best ps3 game, but tlou2 is just ok game, and it wasn't just because of the story that i won't talk here mostly because spoiler and also it's not the topic, but others things too, overall the game design that got too old, and so many times the game where you do nothing outside of pushing joystick to UP and the characters talk, talk and talk, it's a common thing is single player games but some devs are really abusing this, ND aren't the only ones but def one of those and they abuse it too much in tlou2, but anyways

Tho that's ND not SSM, and i totally believe in SSM they will deliver another masterpiece for sure.

Lokaum D+

The previous one was not violent enough? Unless you're 12, it's unnecessary to go back to the cheesy violence of the original trilogy
i m 33 and no, the previous one was not violent enough imo, some ppl just like to play gruesome games like DOOM or the old GOWs for exemple.

The new game toned down violence and gore a lot imo

* Só nunca joguei GoW pela historia, sempre foi um jogo pra chegar em casa e sair arrebentando todo mundo depois de um dia estressante no trampo.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
When will Sony finally announce delay? And will there be blowback? Do we care if Sony lies, if we knew they were lying in the first place? Do average consumers even pay attention to these dates? Does it make a difference?

MiguelItUp

I feel like we'll be hearing about a delay in the next few weeks/month. If they really were expecting a release this year, I'd feel like there's no way they wouldn't be gushing about it by now, or sometime VERY soon. I mean, it's one of Sony's biggest IPs...

I'd LOVE to be wrong and it does drop in 2021, it just doesn't really same feasible ATM...

Three

I mean a 2021 GOW game is too early don’t you think , maybe it’s like an expansion to the original game and you need to have the last game so you can play the new GOW . If you look at it there are realms you can’t travel to ..right ? and much more I think they will unlock it by this ( huge DLC ) maybe?

What do you think GAF
I predicted the same thing in another thread. Plus Cory said he hasn't heard about a new GOW game which would explain why.

Last edited:

Boneless

If Cory is the director again, I have no doubt that this will be an absolute gem. If he's not the director.. well then we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Fake

If Cory is the director again, I have no doubt that this will be an absolute gem. If he's not the director.. well then we'll just have to wait and see.

IDK. The way he interact with people around Twitter, not to mention his full support to Drunk. Kratos can be kicked from the entire franchise.

For me Kratos is God of War and God of War is Kratos, but I seeing people like 'OK' with the director killing Kratos for good from this franchise, so as soon as they do this I'll out of this franchise.

I don't have a good felling about the plot, but I know gameplay will be amazing. They just need to add more weapons and make the gameplay more fast like old times.

SSfox

Sound he's not, and he's seems to be working on new IP (which i'm looking forward too), tho for sure he will keep an eye on Ragnarok, so executive producer is what they call it in general, something similar to Kamiya role in Bayonetta 2.

No way this year. 2022 fo sho.

Also hoping the rumors are true that Roger Clark (Arthur Morgan) is playing Thor.
I don't think Roger is involve with GOW2 from what i hear from his in a podcast lol

Last edited:

dDoc

They kept GOW 2018 under tight wrap till release right.

Maybe they're doing the same here. Release it when ready Sony, as long as it's awesome!

matty3092

Playing through GOW 2018 on PS5 currently really hope they take away the shit gear system and the slow as fuck climbing they are awful other than that it's a pretty good game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I really shouldn't be leaking this since it's early and a lot might still change. But fans are going to be really surprised. Let's just say kratos' past is catching up to him and he may not make it when odin and thor show up. But Atreus isn't the only main character! You spend half the game as Abbeya the Norse goddess of weightlifting who has beef with kratos. Coming fall 2022 on ps4, ps5 and gamepass.
This was surprisingly funny and stupid simultaneously.

Renozokii

Playing through GOW 2018 on PS5 currently really hope they take away the shit gear system and the slow as fuck climbing they are awful other than that it's a pretty good game.
I liked the gear and actually hoped they’d expand on it. With it likely Atreus is going to play a large role his slimmer figure should free them up for some more bad ass armor sets. Kratos looked a bit ridiculous in some of the tighter ones. Climbing definitely should just be put on 3x speed though lol

rofif

Banned
I liked the gear and actually hoped they’d expand on it. With it likely Atreus is going to play a large role his slimmer figure should free them up for some more bad ass armor sets. Kratos looked a bit ridiculous in some of the tighter ones. Climbing definitely should just be put on 3x speed though lol
The problem was that gear stats did not matter. You just had to wear armor with highest number to raise total level

Fake

The problem was that gear stats did not matter. You just had to wear armor with highest number to raise total level

You mean, to the level? If so I agree. In fact I put a loads of defense to face the Valk and works. If there something they need to adress is this stupid level up system. Don't make any sense at all.

Valonquar

It will be a cross dev game. After the first hour, Kojima takes over and you play as Michael Keaton who is going through a rough divorce, and boy is his son. Most of the game mechanics revolve around showering and getting dressed each day.

Max_Po

Banned
I expect a March to June 2022

No way its coming this year..neither is GT or Horizon ...well maybe Horizon

Top Bottom