• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War, Returnal and Demon Souls - Found in GeForce NOW database

Jigsaah

Gold Member
PC's can come dirt cheap or not, however to emulate a console performance at 4k it will take both a decent GPU + processor even a 3060 + 5600x will cost more than a PS5. You also need solid state storage + a decent mother board (for those sweet premium audio codecs, after all PS5 has tempest built in) + a reliable PSU and ram... so what are we up to if you can get them at RRP? Near double the price + additional effort.

Have you seen how much games are on the PlayStation summer sale? What a stupid argument to make, prices on the steam sale are set by the game publishers themselves they have to opt into a Steam sale, they do so because its financially beneficial.

If that makes the PS5 pointless to you OK fine but let me show you something or rather two things...

wvCZLah.jpg

aVOVEUs.jpg

So this is not some jealous fanboy who does not own a PS5 this is coming from a consumer who owns a PS5 and owns a 3+ grand PC, so let's just assume this opinion is coming from someone who is unbiased because I own everything, platform is not an issue for me.

I will always need a game console, that's because it's nice and cheap to buy a system I can plug and play into my huge ass top of the range 4K Q90T and play games on it. I also have a PC and its nice to run competitive FPS games at 240 frames on my Samsung G7 gaming monitor. It's my choice as a consumer what I play games on, that is good for me it will never be not good for me to choose where and how I play a game, the only point it could be bad is for Sony.

So let's assume your making the argument on Sony's behalf because the other reason "pride" is not worth thinking about. Let's also bypass the fact a multimillion pound global conglomerate does not need you to argue business decisions on there behalf as they have well paid PR teams for that. Sony would not do this if there was not profit in it for them, they have looked at how the chips have fallen and can see they will make more money releasing games on PC than they will lose in console sales, because at the end of the day Sony's has looked at what it has to gain by releasing first party titles on other platforms and found it wins out from the limited loss of console sales.

So if that makes a Playstation pointless for you as you have a PC, why are you arguing against it? The fact you can play more games you want to play without investing in an exspensive console benefits you... YOU the consumer save money here, how is it logical to be against that option of choice?
the plastic on that PS5 is triggering thee fuck outta me right now. TAKE IT OFF TAKE IT OFF TAKE IT OOOOOFFFF.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Depends how much gamers value getting a PC and waiting 3 years for unknown PS game X to come out. So do some dont.

Aside from covid effect which killed theatres, I dont see movie theatre sales dropping like a rock when everyone knows you can buy it on DVD, BR and a Netflix or Hulu or Amazon Prime release will come in 8-12 months.

Well, watching a movie on the big screen is a different experience, and one that people think is worth paying a little extra for now and then. Playing a game on PS5 or PC is pretty much the same, given that your PC is decently powerful. So I don't think that's quite comparable.

But sure, as long as it's only years-old games your other point is valid, but when will the first PS5 game make the jump I wonder?

quest

Not Banned from OT
More sales from more channels.

Why does Apple sell their gear in Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and even no-name cellphone and computer stores?

They are so widely known, everyone can just order what they want from an Apple Store or direct from their website, and Apple would hoard all sales and profits. No more middle man.
Sure netflix totally let's people watch their exclusives on HBO max, prime video or hulu lol. I'm sure Amazon will totally let me watch the lord of the rings tv show on hulu for a few dollars haha. Exclusives are a thing for a reason and will hurt a eco system over time.

Rykan

No..no..no..my friend $70 is your first party game price on Playstation

On PC you can get much more for that money
You're comparing a new game for 70$ to older games during a sale. You can also spend that 70$ during a sale on a console. You are aware that sales also happen on other platforms, right?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Naaa you got it backwards, exclusives increase competition between platforms and are extremely pro-consumer.

Just because something doesn't immediately benefit you, doesn't mean it is anti-consumer.

Also you are probably not a consumer of PlayStation.

If you had pointed to raising prices, 10 dollar upgrade fees and shutting down the PS3 / Vita store....those are real anti-consumer moves.

The real anti-consumer aspect of this is that these games were marketed as PS exclusive, so porting them makes all of that a lie. They lied to their customers and that should not stand.
Good to see ya B...apparently this is some type of intervention. We all want you to know that we're here because we care.

ViolentP

No my friend look at your original question

You were asking PS>PC because of the comfy couch you cant get on PC

Im here to tell you that argument was outdated ( like long time ago)

You can play PC game in your living room..on your couch...people (pc gamer) have been doing this for years...
I'm a PC player, dude. I've been playing on my couch for years. You're taking a facetious comment I made to someone else and instead of getting the joke, you are defending the contrary.

sendit

I hate PC gaming so this is of no interest to me.

Edit: I'll add something useful to the tread.
There 's market for PS games on PS platforms and for PC. Why shouldn't Sony sell games on PC?
I'm all for PC releases (mouse and keyboard trumps any gamepad). However, diluting the core platform (Playstation console) is the only negative I can think of.

Airbus Jr

Banned
You're comparing a new game for 70$ to older games during a sale. You can also spend that 70$ during a sale on a console. You are aware that sales also happen on other platforms, right?
The prices are still much cheaper on PC

And yet again the advantage are still on PC

PS5 games coming to PC

You can have PC + PS5 game on PC

And free online ( no PSPlus or XBL ) subscription required

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Will you play any games once you have all of them? Or do they need to go on a deep sale first?
I can't speak for everyone, but if Returnal and Dark souls Remake come to PC I'm instabuying them Day 1. This is my salvation for not being able to procure a PS5 at MSRP.

Admittedly, if this does come to pass, it would make me reconsider buying a PS5 right away. I'm sure that notion may be a bit unsettling to some, but I'm not made out of money. My 3080 was 945 dollars. I paid cash. I'm milking this for as much as I can get.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned
There is no way playstation can compete with pc going forward. Pc has all the games.

No one will buy playstation when you can buy steam dock and play all xbox games, all ps and all pc games. Fuck with nintendos backwards systems all nintendo games through emulation.

A playstation 5 level pc is going to be dirt cheap in 2 years.

Someone is sabotaging playstation from within.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
One thing this definitely DOES do is weaken the PlayStation brand, which has for a long time (especially since the PS3 days) been known for its extremely strong 1st party exclusives. Buying a PlayStation used to be the only way to play those games, but I guess Sony doesn't think hardware sales are as important anymore. Which is strange, because I believe they make a lot of money from their share of 3rd party sales on the platform (digital and physical). If people can play PlayStation games on PC, aren't they jeopardizing that revenue stream?

Precisely.... I saw the slide if the financial presentation in one of the quarterlies and it had this pie chart with text saying 'the diminishing importance of hardware' and I was just left scratching my head..... your whole brand is BUILT on that hardware, the software sales are a direct result of getting hardware into peoples hands.....

If I buy the games somewhere else you get nothing and even the 1st party stuff you have to give a cut to the storefront....

This is absolutely suicidal stuff, completely braindead.

Bryank75

Banned
There is no way playstation can compete with pc going forward. Pc has all the games.

No one will buy playstation when you can buy steam dock and play all xbox games, all ps and all pc games. Fuck with nintendos backwards systems all nintendo games through emulation.

A playstation 5 level pc is going to be dirt cheap in 2 years.

Someone is sabotaging playstation from within.

Especially when I can get my 2 PS5's and sell them for 1500 and add 1-2K to that and make a machine that even a PS5 pro probably would have trouble matching.

Braindead 'strategy' from Sony here. Especially given the Steam Deck is coming soon at 500 dollars.

Where do they think they are putting the brand with this?
How do they fund those 200 million dollar games without 3rd party sales and MTX and PS+???

Dream-Knife

Banned
At a certain point you start wondering what the point of the PS5 is at all. Why not just go full 3rd party?
Because people will still buy the console and subscribe and buy dlc/games from the store.

Consoles are more convenient. I have pretty high-end PC (RTX3080 + Ryzen 3700X), yet I prefer to play on consoles, because because how easy it is to get in/out of game. With PC you basically need to have keyboard and mouse, which I have (wireless), but it's still not as convenient as just grab your controller, press the center button and bam! you are in game.
On the other hand once you have all platforms, PC is just cheaper to get games on. So I struggle with this somewhat - I'd prefer to get game X on XSX/PS5, but I would have to spend more money on it, which I am not comfortable with doing, when all I get out of it is slighly better convenience.
You need to configure desktop settings for your controller. Then you can do everything without a KB+M.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doesn't look like Dreams is in the database (unless it's in another part of the list). If there's any game in PS' catalog youd think would make perfect sense for PC, it's that game first. M/KB controls on a platform known for the biggest creative community.

Bryank75

Banned
I can't speak for everyone, but if Returnal and Dark souls Remake come to PC I'm instabuying them Day 1. This is my salvation for not being able to procure a PS5 at MSRP.

Admittedly, if this does come to pass, it would make me reconsider buying a PS5 right away. I'm sure that notion may be a bit unsettling to some, but I'm not made out of money. My 3080 was 945 dollars. I paid cash. I'm milking this for as much as I can get.

Thank you for being honest and showing how it undermines PS console sales and the brand. I appreciate honesty a lot.

Stuart360

Especially when I can get my 2 PS5's and sell them for 1500 and add 1-2K to that and make a machine that even a PS5 pro probably would have trouble matching.

Braindead 'strategy' from Sony here. Especially given the Steam Deck is coming soon at 500 dollars.

How do they fund those 200 million dollar games without 3rd party sales and MTX and PS+???
Do it Bryank, you would be a welcome member of the Pc race. :messenger_horns:

Last edited:

You know there is lots that prefer console and won't switch to PC regardless? Like I don't follow this doom and gloom narrative at all.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Precisely.... I saw the slide if the financial presentation in one of the quarterlies and it had this pie chart with text saying 'the diminishing importance of hardware' and I was just left scratching my head..... your whole brand is BUILT on that hardware, the software sales are a direct result of getting hardware into peoples hands.....

If I buy the games somewhere else you get nothing and even the 1st party stuff you have to give a cut to the storefront....

This is absolutely suicidal stuff, completely braindead.
Increasing console hardware has been a tough sell for generations. The biggest era was the 360/PS3/Wii generation 10 years ago.

The big money is software and mtx.

Either the console market is saturated or cellphone gamers ate up the pie, but even PS consoles havent budged much in 25 years.

PS1 100M
PS2 150M!!!
PS3 85-90M
PS4 I think 120M-ish

You'd think with the giant rise in gaming in 25 years, PS would be 200-300M consoles, but they (as leaders aside from Wii winning that era) are still stuck in that 100+M range.

Unless somethng huge happens I dont think anyone expects PS5 to sell 150 or 200+. It'll probably be 100M or so again.

So to max out money, its all about mtx, sub plans and growing the potential pie (PC gamers).

aries_71

Some of you should be aware that, as of today in Europe, it's still not possible to get a PS5 at normal price in Amazon or physical stores. Just checked and a PS5 through Amazon.es, Amazon.fr or Amazon.it and their out of stock or selling above 1000€ (that's US $1200). This is happening in Western Europe, I doubt other parts of the planet are doing any better. Situation is not getting better anytime soon, and I don't expect stocks to be normal until mid 2023.

Given this scenario, any sensible game publisher should evaluate launching as much software as possible in PC .

Stuart360

I already talked about this in one of the other Playstation games on PC threads earlier, and i'm tired of repeating the same thing again but.....there will always be console only gamers, PC only gamers, and gamers that game on both.
Yes bringing Playstation games to PC may cost Sony a few mill console sales over the gen, but that small loss of income will almost certainly be beaten by the revenue made from PC game sales.

You have to look at the bigger picture here with this stuff.

Bryank75

Banned
Increasing console hardware has been a tough sell for generations. The biggest era was the 360/PS3/Wii generation 10 years ago.

The big money is software and mtx.

Either the console market is saturated or cellphone gamers ate up the pie, but even PS consoles havent budged much in 25 years.

PS1 100M
PS2 150M!!!
PS3 85-90M
PS4 I think 120M-ish

You'd think with the giant rise in gaming in 25 years, PS would be 200-300M consoles, but they (as leaders aside from Wii winning that era) are still stuck in that 100+M range.

Unless somethng huge happens I dont think anyone expects PS5 to sell 150 or 200+. It'll probably be 100M or so again.

So to max out money, its all about mtx, sub plans and growing the potential pie (PC gamers).

The real issue during PS4 is that they just never dropped the price much, it's still 300 to 400 for a base version in most places for the last few years.

There was no super-slim version and now the console supply for it is almost non-existent..... PS2 had a super-slim and sold for less than 200 for an extended period of time and had the DVD selling point too.

I think there are plenty of untapped markets for console.... emerging markets like China, Brazil and India.... they need ways for people to buy and software regional pricing though.
They could have a high end model that has a glass and metal finish and high end performance as an aspirational piece of tech.

Plus many people want a handheld that can play all the ps4 games on the go....

But it seems like PlayStation management have taken a self-destructive approach to things.

NovaSe7en

If people can play PlayStation games on PC, aren't they jeopardizing that revenue stream?

The number of gamers who have a high-end gaming PC and a PS5, even on an enthusiast forum such as this, is likely very small (if we're honest, it's less than 1%).

Sony's already crunched the numbers. Revenue they would make on Steam would eclipse what they'll lose on hardware.

It's also very unlikely that a typical console gamer will give up their conveniences and ease-of-access to choose PC as their main platform. I would love to be proven wrong with Steam Deck, but Valve marketing is lol.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well, I am strongly considering the switch to PC.
Honestly, I would go PC if you have a knack for tinkering. A lot of people complain because you have to do a bit of troubleshooting when it comes to PC gaming. I love to tinker and troubleshoot so it doesn't bother me. I was a console guy mainly until about 2018. The additional functionality that comes with a PC is great as well. I'm learning how to video edit, done some streaming, started a business, started investing more actively. It's honestly pretty awesome. Still got a soft spot for consoles, but PC is really where it's at, especially because you can play so many old games too no problem.

Bryank75

Banned
I already talked about this in one of the other Playstation games on PC threads earlier, and i'm tired of repeating the same thing again but.....there will always be console only gamers, PC only gamers, and gamers that game on both.
Yes bringing Playstation games to PC may cost Sony a few mill console sales over the gen, but that small loss of income will almost certainly be beaten by the revenue made from PC game sales.

You have to look at the bigger picture here with this stuff.

Not about survival really.... I want to see console gaming grow and they just are not putting in the effort.

It's been a very very shit job from Jim and Hermen so far tbh.

Bryank75

Banned
Honestly, I would go PC if you have a knack for tinkering. A lot of people complain because you have to do a bit of troubleshooting when it comes to PC gaming. I love to tinker and troubleshoot so it doesn't bother me. I was a console guy mainly until about 2018. The additional functionality that comes with a PC is great as well. I'm learning how to video edit, done some streaming, started a business, started investing more actively. It's honestly pretty awesome. Still got a soft spot for consoles, but PC is really where it's at, especially because you can play so many old games too no problem.

I was on PC before, I put my first GPU in back when I was 11. No fear of me...

Blond

Banned
Not about survival really.... I want to see console gaming grow and they just are not putting in the effort.

It's been a very very shit job from Jim and Hermen so far tbh.
The world is changing, Bryan. Sony knows it. Nintendo is an outlier but the types of gaming we enjoy have to long legs if they're going to continue to exist.

lol if DeS on PC is true then there goes the only reason i had for wanting a PS5 :messenger_tears_of_joy: only other game i want is Horizon Forbidden West but i can just play that on PS4. there are no more games on Playstation.

Hezekiah

Banned
Consoles are more convenient. I have pretty high-end PC (RTX3080 + Ryzen 3700X), yet I prefer to play on consoles, because because how easy it is to get in/out of game. With PC you basically need to have keyboard and mouse, which I have (wireless), but it's still not as convenient as just grab your controller, press the center button and bam! you are in game.
On the other hand once you have all platforms, PC is just cheaper to get games on. So I struggle with this somewhat - I'd prefer to get game X on XSX/PS5, but I would have to spend more money on it, which I am not comfortable with doing, when all I get out of it is slighly better convenience.
You realise you can game with controllers on PC right? I have a Series X controller and a DualSense which I use for third-person RPG/action games like Witcher and AC Valhalla.

And if you have a high-end PC I assume you own an M.2 ssd, which should give you load times not far off a console.

For me as Playstation/PC owner I love playing on both. Biggest difference is I game on my PC in SecretLabs chair which is more upright, whereas Playstation is in my armchair, but that's because I don't want my PC hooked up to my TV.

Rykan

The prices are still much cheaper on PC

And yet again the advantage are still on PC

PS5 games coming to PC

You can have PC + PS5 game on PC

And free online ( no PSPlus or XBL ) subscription required
They aren't that much cheaper on PC anymore. The times when Steam sales were so much better than anywhere else are long behind us.

Anyway, comparing the price of new games to games that are on sale is stupid and weird way to get your point across.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Man it’s looking like a good time to sell my PS5. Haven’t turned it on since Ratchet & Clank.

PC is definitely my preferred platform, and I have so much shit to play that I don’t mind having to wait a bit for Sony games.

I wish them great success in porting their games to PC. Keep em coming!

Aenima

I don't think that's quite the same, because they own the software platform PC gaming is done on.
Your question was whats the point of a PS5, ask microsoft whats the point of a Xbox console.

If your question was why Sony porting games to PC, then the answer is the same for both Sony and Microsoft, more money.

And if you ok about setting ur PC in ur living room and hook it to ur TV, then thers no point in owning any of those consoles if Sony ends up porting all they exclusives like Microsoft already does.

Last edited:

yurinka

More sales from more channels. Why does Apple sell their gear in Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and even no-name cellphone and computer stores?
Because Apple's business depends on selling hardware and their own stores have a tiny market share of the worldwide hardare sales.

Sony's main business is selling (mostly 3rd party) AAA games for their console, and their console is by far the biggest AAA games market. So they sell their hardware everywhere and want to grow its console userbase instead of reducing it.

So this is why instead of going 3rd party their plan is to have more exclusives than ever while they also have some old games ported to PC, future mobile games using their IPs and movies/tv shows as secondary markets to grow their fanbase so to sell more consoles to play there the new and recent entries of their main exclusive IPs.

S5 first party game price = $70 ( just one game)

The amount of PC game you can get during steam sales with $70?
In PS the discounts, price drops and big sales also exist.

And on top of that many of these games end 'given way for free' in PS Plus, PS Now, PS Plus Collection or Play at Home.

In addition to this, not all PS5 games are sold at $70.

Did not Sony explain more than once that they will be porting more games to PC?
Yes, they said that from time to time they will port more old (sometimes speficied PS4) games to PC and that will continue focusing their internal teams on making games exclusively for their consoles.

They bought Nixxes to make these PC ports, so their other studios don't need to worry about the ports or developing their games as multiplatform and can focus instead on making games only for their consoles.

They mentioned their next one was going to be Uncharted 4 and later confirmed they it will be released this Spring. Other ones will follow, but won't be a massive number of them. Nixxes has a limited amount of output and they don't plan to port every single game. I assume they will focus on the games they consider will sell better on PC and/or the ones whose IP they want to promote or milk because they will have soon a movie/tv show/PS5 sequel.

Considering they will 'soon' release the Uncharted film, the Uncharted ports make sense. I don't understand why they didn't start with the Nathan Drake Collection, I think they will port it after the U4 ports/remasters. They also have the TLOU tv series, plus the TLOU2 MP game coming to PS. So I assume the rumored TLOU1 remake in addition to be bundled with TLOU2 PS5 as supposed was originally planned, would be ported to PC relatively soon.

Last edited:

Gargauth

Because people will still buy the console and subscribe and buy dlc/games from the store.

You need to configure desktop settings for your controller. Then you can do everything without a KB+M.

You realise you can game with controllers on PC right? I have a Series X controller and a DualSense which I use for third-person RPG/action games like Witcher and AC Valhalla.

And if you have a high-end PC I assume you own an M.2 ssd, which should give you load times not far off a console.

For me as Playstation/PC owner I love playing on both. Biggest difference is I game on my PC in SecretLabs chair which is more upright, whereas Playstation is in my armchair, but that's because I don't want my PC hooked up to my TV.

I know I can use controller on PC. Of course I do use it. But issue is that you can't easily awake or put PC to sleep via controller. Ideally I would like to have Steam Big picture running at all times on my PC (connected to TV) and use it just like I do my consoles. Grab controller, sit down, press the xbox/ps button on controller, PC wakes up and you can continue right where you left off.
Instead, I need to grab my KB+M, controller, press button on keyboard to wake up, alt tab to game, play, and when I want to take a break I need to alt-tab out of game again and put PC to sleep. It's no big deal in grand scheme of things, but it really doesn't add to the experience.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Let me break it down then. For years people clamored that PC is not an option to them because they prefer to play on the "comfy couch". Now we have people getting upset at Playstation games arriving on PC asking what would the point of buying a PS5 be?. I'm just curious where all those comfy couch arguments are now.

These people haven't been paying much attention. First I bought a Steam Link for "comfy couch" gaming, and later I bought the Nvidia Shield. It's easy, and not very complicated at all.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Hooking up my Xbox/PS controller connected to my Nvidia Shield in the living room is pretty much the same as playing on a console.

Last edited:

yurinka

But they have changed it. They have always made games only for their own consoles, until the very end of the previous generation, when the first PC ports started happening. Why are they changing such a successful strategy?
They want to grow. Their main revenue source is to sell 3rd and 1st party games for their consoles, so they want to get new fans from movies, mobile, PC and specially from Asia. They want to introduce them to their IPs on these other markets while getting an extra revenue, and to let them know that if they love thess IPs they have newer games on PS5 in addition to other exclusives.

Their main focus continues being to sell games for their console. Which also means their focus will continue selling as much consoles as possible and to make as much exclusives for it as possible. Which is compatible with releasing ports of old games on PC from time to time, it doesn't seem to negatively affect their sales on console. They keep breaking records of revenue generated by a console platform console, consoles sold or games sold for their console.

This seems to work for them, so will continue with this strategy for a while.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The world is changing, Bryan. Sony knows it. Nintendo is an outlier but the types of gaming we enjoy have to long legs if they're going to continue to exist.

They made more profit than ever last gen.... I would say maybe their expectations or greed changed more than the times.

Top Bottom