• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Oh No, There Goes Tokyo!

cj_iwakura

Surreal this is so popular here after my tester friend said how bland and buggy it was.

Guess the kaiju thirst is real.

All I need now is Mothra Adult and Kiryu and I'll have all of the monsters.

I am loving this game, though I don't know if I want to focus my upgrades on Burning Godzilla or just Godzilla. Can you unlock the spiral heat beam for regular Godzilla?

Does anyone know if you can unlock Godzilla's son?
3767393-3903230599-minya.jpg

I would not, by any means, call this game deep compared to a real fighting game, but it's a decent system that sadly got rocked by reviewers as clunky. Within the confines of how this game is supposed to play, I think the controls work out well.

So techincally, you have

Light attacks
Strong attacks
Specials (activated with the back/forward triangle moves)
Beams
Dash/Fly mechanic, linking into strong attacks usually
A dodge for some
A roar/buff, that's sorta like an EX move activator and a block
And a super

I already talked about how one character plays with the Mecha Godzilla post, but it's kind of a shame that people drop it after mashing a few buttons. For example, I played against a Bio, and that dude kept spamming the rush attack. As MKG, hopping into the air and doing his strong (which is a spin) kept my hitbox smaller and allowed me to evade while dealing some damage. With some lights into super, that dude was getting wrecked.

MG would have to play the spacing game. He needs to get off his Charge attack into shield and keep spacing out Bio with missiles, or use Charge to dash out of the way since Bio is linear as hell. I think someone good on their Charge timings could get around a Bio real quick and play keepaway, but it's still a bad matchup in general.

I don't know. Evo's got me thinking about the deeper systems at play in games. Hell, you could probably write a page alone on what moves to use in order to keep the temp gauge up and how to wreck a city effectively.

Good to see people enjoying this, sometimes (or even often) one simply must go with what they like rather than what reviews well. Will get when I assumedly get a PS4 later this year. Most looking forward to Godzilla '14 and Rodan, whose initial stand-alone movie is one of the best.

Funny how I actually got back into watching monster/Godzilla movies after picking up the cheap dual-pack release of the first two excellent Heisei Gamera movies when it first released. And then the '14 Godzilla movie accelerated things. Need a Gamera game!

Ridley327

Good to see people enjoying this, sometimes (or even often) one simply must go with what they like rather than what reviews well. Will get when I assumedly get a PS4 later this year. Most looking forward to Godzilla '14 and Rodan, whose initial stand-alone movie is one of the best.

Funny how I actually got back into watching monster/Godzilla movies after picking up the cheap dual-pack release of the first two excellent Heisei Gamera movies when it first released. And then the '14 Godzilla movie accelerated things. Need a Gamera game!

Repeating content over and over again would fit Gamera better than Godzilla!

I kid, I kid; a Gamera game as violent as the Heisei trilogy would be a sight to behold.

Anung

Un Rama
Been playing this most of the evening. This game certainly isn't a looker and the combat isn't deep by any means. But I've been enjoying my time with it. Smashing buildings apart of fighting Kaiju feels great and is a lot of fun.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Mecha-King Gidorah is amazing. He's so big you can't really see but his roar powered up energy blast can take out nearly half of Godzilla 2014s health bar if you're in close.

Daingurse

Been playing this most of the evening. This game certainly isn't a looker and the combat isn't deep by any means. But I've been enjoying my time with it. Smashing buildings apart of fighting Kaiju feels great and is a lot of fun.

Simply stomping around is fun to me. I was having a blast last night jumping around with Hedorah, and tearing shit up. The game completely succeeds in making you feel like a kaiju.

Dingles

Enjoying this - as much as I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors as a Zelda fan.

I love how dumb online battles are. 3 player seems to always be laggy for me though.

Enjoying this - as much as I enjoyed Hyrule Warriors as a Zelda fan.

I love how dumb online battles are. 3 player seems to always be laggy for me though.

3-player battles online have gotten way too laggy for me, so I've been sticking with 1v1 so it's a bit more manageable, but sometimes it's literally a slideshow.

napalmjam

Really love this game it's been ages since I've felt this for a game when you are 50ft godzilla fighting a 100 foot kiryu and Buildings are exploding everywhere it's amazing .

Is there a recommended kaiju to use for gathering parts/cells or do you just play as whoever you'd like?

Every time you finish King of Kaiju mode you get materials for whoever you were playing as plus one of the kaiju that you fought. Probably the quickest if there is a specific thing you are after.

Teknoman

PSN: TeknomanEX

When are we gonna get some GAFzilla battles going. And on that note, I really wish there was some sort of lobby system (is there?) But since it'll probably be a small online community anyway like Lost Planet 1, shouldnt be too hard to match up I suppose?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I'm a huge Godzilla and Ultraman fan(can you tell?) and this game rocks.

It does take some time to get the controls down but they make sense once you get used to them. Gigantic monsters do move slower and methodically and the control system conveys that well IMO.

The game runs surprisingly smooth when there's a ton of mayhem on screen.

If you're a Godzilla fan, pick this up. It's the.best Godzilla game to date.

Drewfonse

Can someone please give me a brief idea of the structure of the game flow? You just progress from area to area busting shit up and fighting other monsters? The YouTube videos look fun. Are there more challenging areas that you have to level up to be able to tackle?

Teknoman

Can someone please give me a brief idea of the structure of the game flow? You just progress from area to area busting shit up and fighting other monsters? The YouTube videos look fun. Are there more challenging areas that you have to level up to be able to tackle?

If you end up in some of the further hard difficulty areas without busting up enough stuff to grow / havent unlocked enough stuff via evolution, surprise kaiju that are bigger than you can wreck you pretty bad.

Unless you can manage to break enough stuff to increase size mid battle. Equally messed up if you raise the disaster level too fast as well.

EDIT: If you send me a PSN request, put GAF or who you are from GAF in the message notes please.

zeopower6

Mecha King Ghidorah in King of Kaiju mode is... insane... :|

Just tried it out for the first time and got the 3 time trophies at once! (did it in 5 mins, 6/8/10 are the trophies)

I think MKG is the kaiju to use if you want to get parts in King of Kaiju mode.

Also seems like MKG is AMAZING in the Defend mode after you unlock him in an Easy route from Go Ashore. You get to go into normally "?" stages for the Godzilla only mode right off the bat and I got my first Rodan, King Ghidorah, Burning Godzilla, and Battra (Adult) cells there on an all easy run. Credits are rolling now where I would normally have gotten "TO BE CONTINUED" endlessly. (I can't beat Mothra (Larva) in Go Ashore Hard x_x, was 100m)

Trying the hard path as MKG, I got my first set of Biollante and Space Godzilla cells! Everything seems to give 3 cells in Defend.

I literally have not stayed up all night playing a game in almost a decade. Until Saturday night -> Sunday.

This game has had me almost tossing my remote, but it all makes sense, so I don't. So challenging.

I also kinda suck at it, which doesn't help, but it's incredibly rewarding to figure out each stage. This game will have PLENTY of longevity in my PS4.

Does anyone know if there a specific kaiju I need to use in Invasion to get Mothra Adult to appear? She is the last one I need and I can't do any more upgrades without her cells.

zeopower6

Does anyone know if there a specific kaiju I need to use in Invasion to get Mothra Adult to appear? She is the last one I need and I can't do any more upgrades without her cells.

I was able to get her by veering towards a hard path with Biollante. I imagine it is the same regardless of kaiju chosen though. She should eventually pop up if you don't get her the first time.

Drewfonse

If you end up in some of the further hard difficulty areas without busting up enough stuff to grow / havent unlocked enough stuff via evolution, surprise kaiju that are bigger than you can wreck you pretty bad.

Unless you can manage to break enough stuff to increase size mid battle. Equally messed up if you raise the disaster level too fast as well.

EDIT: If you send me a PSN request, put GAF or who you are from GAF in the message notes please.

OK, thanks. So you can grow temporarily during stages and also permanently as you progress from area to area?

Top Bottom