• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2010

CiSTM

Banned
RJT said:
Great OP, BUT... Why isn't Panzer General 2 bolded? If I remember correctly, it's a fucking amazing game!

It's no Steel Panthers but still it's a great game. Deserves to be bolded.

Minsc

Gold Member
For those helping with mod listings, if you test them on the GOG installer and verify they work, please indicate that as well when suggesting the mods! I'll make note of it in the form of "tested to X (through launch, 50% 100% complete, etc), include the install order used and any notes if necessary.

See the newly updated Fallout 1 listing for an example.

gketter said:
Great thread. Gog is the only site i use instead of steam. And they've been killing it with the recent RPG releases

Additional Recommended titles
Interstate 76
Freedom Force

Can you list was needed to get Interstate '76 working properly for you (if anything?), as I was having troubles (poor framerate iirc, and wobbly/janky tires). If it does the trick for me too, I'll change it over if you also post the gameplay holds up nicely as well.

rezuth said:
Any words on supporting platforms outside of Windows?

I've never read anything official, though many people have had success getting the DOS games to run via DOSBox obviously, and some success elsewhere through emulation. Short of that or interpreters like SCUMMVM, I don't think it's a very likely thing.

RJT said:
Great OP, BUT... Why isn't Panzer General 2 bolded? If I remember correctly, it's a fucking amazing game!

Because unfortunately I know nothing about it... test it again for an hour or so (preferably from GOG, if not that's fine), and if it works well and your memory serves you correctly, I'll be happy to bold it! :)

stuminus3

Amazing thread, Minsc. I think GOG is popular enough around here to be worthy of a thread better than the Steam one! :D

JoWood games on sale this weekend. I think I'll grab the Dark Fall games and Spellforce, maybe a couple of others. There's some stinkers in the bundle and I already have Gothic 2 Gold and Painkiller Black.

Holy crap, Fallout hi-res-- I might have to try that this weekend. Great thread.

Another lukewarm weekend package deal. I'm tempted to get the whole thing even though if I'm honest with myself I'd probably only play like 4 games out of it. Blarg.

Minsc

Gold Member
MomoPufflet said:
Holy crap, Fallout hi-res-- I might have to try that this weekend. Great thread.

I tried setting it to 1024x768 for the heck of it last night and it did look pretty nice, squishing a rat was every bit as fun! I believe it supports widescreen resolutions too, though the higher you go the smaller everything gets, so you want a large monitor to go high high res.

I played through to the end with the mods at the original 640x480 res though (I'm strangely paranoid about resolution mods, even those that I've read other people using fine) - but I used the High Resolution mod anyway because it really helps the framerate, mouse cursor chugs along like a snail on my system with just the vanilla install of Fallout. I believe it also makes all the FMV actually full screen instead of windowed which is another nice side effect of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
720p seemed to be the sweet spot on my 1080p monitor for Planescape, so I suspect it would be the ideal resolution for Fallout as well (I will try it out myself tonight as it has just been sitting in my GOG account for a while). 1080p gets really ridiculous and is just too much effort when it comes to reading the smaller fonts, especially on a TV that is 3-4 feet away.

androvsky

Minsc said:
For those helping with mod listings, if you test them on the GOG installer and verify they work, please indicate that as well when suggesting the mods! I'll make note of it in the form of "tested to X (through launch, 50% 100% complete, etc), include the install order used and any notes if necessary.

See the newly updated Fallout 1 listing for an example.

Can you list was needed to get Interstate '76 working properly for you (if anything?), as I was having troubles (poor framerate iirc, and wobbly/janky tires). If it does the trick for me too, I'll change it over if you also post the gameplay holds up nicely as well.

I've never read anything official, though many people have had success getting the DOS games to run via DOSBox obviously, and some success elsewhere through emulation. Short of that or interpreters like SCUMMVM, I don't think it's a very likely thing.

For me, Interstate '76 works a lot better running on Wine in Linux than it does on Win 7 64, even using the batch file with CPU Grabber to run it... well, until it crashes. Can't get past the first mission either way. In general though, old Windows games have a decent chance of being playable in Linux, as long as it's on an x86 machine (or has a really fast CPU emulator).

epmode

MomoPufflet said:
Another lukewarm weekend package deal.
The way I see it, GOG is permanently on sale. $10 is well within my impulse purchase range so I just get the stuff I want as it goes live.

kswiston

I love the new thread, especially the mod section.

As for the recommendations, I think the Might & Magic 6-pack is a great buy. The first couple titles may be too dated for some, but the later games are still fully playable/enjoyable. Might and magic IV/V and VI alone are worth $10 if you are interested in classic, open-world PC rpgs. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in that pack.

EDIT: I haven't played through all of the M&M games on Win7 64-bit, but most of them are DOS-BOX I believe, so there should be no problems. I DO know that the GoG version of Might and Magic VI works great on Windows 7, and that the retail versions of VI and VII have been a gigantic pain in the ass to get working on modern systems since Windows XP.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kswiston said:
EDIT: I haven't played through all of the M&M games on Win7 64-bit, but most of them are DOS-BOX I believe, so there should be no problems. I DO know that the GoG version of Might and Magic VI works great on Windows 7, and that the retail versions of VI and VII have been a gigantic pain in the ass to get working on modern systems since Windows XP.
ive had no issues getting MM6-8 to work on Win 7 64-bit.

Minsc

Gold Member
disappeared said:
All I want is Hero's Quest and Police Quest II. :(

Specifically Hero's Quest, not Quest for Glory? I loved the remake, never played the typing version. That tavern and alley scene are forever stuck in my memory, some awesome moments in the game playing it when it first came out. The entire series is great, though some of it aged a little worse than others I'd imagine.

I wonder why we've seen King's Quest and Space Quest on DD but not the rest? I'm sure Quest for Glory would be just as popular, Police Quest to a lesser extent, and even the old Leisure Suit games. And throw in Full Throttle, DoTT, and whatever other Lucas Arts ones are missing while we're at it. Even as incredible as these last few months have been, GOG still has a lot of work to do! No resting for them yet!

Minsc said:
Specifically Hero's Quest, not Quest for Glory? I loved the remake, never played the typing version. That tavern and alley scene are forever stuck in my memory, some awesome moments in the game playing it when it first came out. The entire series is great, though some of it aged a little worse than others I'd imagine.

I wonder why we've seen King's Quest and Space Quest on DD but not the rest? I'm sure Quest for Glory would be just as popular, Police Quest to a lesser extent, and even the old Leisure Suit games. And throw in Full Throttle, DoTT, and whatever other Lucas Arts ones are missing while we're at it. Even as incredible as these last few months have been, GOG still has a lot of work to do! No resting for them yet!

The version I played as a kid was Hero's Quest (before that whole lawsuit business renamed the series) so I'll always call it that. :) And yes, the tavern (don't drink the Dragon's Breath!) and the alley with the Thieves is burned into my memory. Also, raking leaves in the castle, Baba Yaga's hut, the Brigand invasion... soooo good!

Police Quest II was the epitome of depth - I guess as much as it could have been with those old DOS games. You actually had to do your job as a cop would. Dust for prints, calibrate your gun, question witnesses, drive to locations... it was so surreal. Suiting up in diving gear and searching the lake for the missing body was crazy.

Minsc said:
I wonder why we've seen King's Quest and Space Quest on DD but not the rest?

They're the only ones Activision had already rejiggered to run on modern systems for that recent boxed set re-release.

epmode

charlequin said:
They're the only ones Activision had already rejiggered to run on modern systems for that recent boxed set re-release.
True.

I guarantee that I could put together a full GOG release for all of the missing adventure games with nothing more than the original disks, manuals and a scanner. 2 days tops. It's free money, Activision!

Any opinions of Star Wolves? I've never heard of it before, but it looks like my sort of thing. It seems to have a number of good reviews on the GoG site, but I don't want to spend 10 bucks on the back of some potentially rose-tinted fan reviews.

Also, while I'm at it I think Simon the Sorcerer should be recommended - it's a charming point & click adventure that, in terms of story and humour, is right up there quality-wise with any of LucasArt's classic point & click games. The fairytale setting allows for some vivid and vibrant artwork, while the gameplay provides a lengthy main quest and some clever puzzling action, but it's the wonderful music, witty script and excellent voice over work (Chris Barrie, of Red Dwarf fame, provides the voice acting for the main character) that make Simon the Sorcerer such a classic, and undeservedly overlooked gem in the point & click adventure genre.

Simon 2 is a good game too, but while some areas were improved (mainly the clarity of the artwork & the sound quality), this wasn't necessarily a good thing as with those improvements a lot of the original games charm went out the window. Also, Chris Barrie didn't return for the 2nd game. And it should go without saying that Simon 3D should be avoided at all costs.

Lonewolf

kswiston said:
I love the new thread, especially the mod section.

As for the recommendations, I think the Might & Magic 6-pack is a great buy. The first couple titles may be too dated for some, but the later games are still fully playable/enjoyable. Might and magic IV/V and VI alone are worth $10 if you are interested in classic, open-world PC rpgs. There are hundreds of hours of gameplay in that pack.

Indeed. How come the pack isn't bolded yet in the OP? It's easily the best deal on the entire site.

Might and Magic VI is my favorite game of all time, I even love all of its little flaws and goofy sides. The exploration and secrets are awesome, and so are the world, loot, spells, quests, humor, and the dungeons. Just nothing but pure, leisurely, carefree hack and slash goodness with sweet music.

1 and 2 didn't age well but they're still worth the detour for the fans. 2 has an automap (you need to buy it from a seller in the first town).

3 and World of Xeen (4+5) have aged very well, and still look extremely good. Some of the best and most inventive enemy sprite work I've ever seen. In many regards the skill building and puzzles are more rewarding than in VI.

19Kilo

Awesome work Minsc!

Maybe bold IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946?

It's still the premier WWII flight sim and high watermark. Hundreds of planes (347 different aircraft, with 256 being flyable), multiplayer, mission editor, etc. It includes all of the IL-2 games and addons (original IL-2 Sturmovik, IL-2: Forgotten Battles, Forgotten Battles Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific Fighters, PE-2, Sturmoviks over Manchuria, 1946) - all for $10, plus the gog.com version is already patched to the latest version. Runs perfectly with no mods required.

Best value on gog.com imho.

stuminus3

IlludiumQ36 said:
NOLF and NOLF 2, please. GOG, Steam, D2D, ANYONE - please make these available in DD.
Especially the first game, since it has a stupid 16-bit installer that won't run on 64 bit systems (even though the game itself works just fine as it's 32-bit). You can get the game running on x64 with some very minor tomfoolery, but the patches also have 16-bit installers...

Is there a hardware mouse patch for Fallout 1 or is software the only way? Also, the game doesn't seem to like 32-bit color (it crashes on launch for me). Does it even make a difference?

epmode said:
The way I see it, GOG is permanently on sale. $10 is well within my impulse purchase range so I just get the stuff I want as it goes live.

I don't understand why people always feel the need to remind me that $10 is not a lot of money when I say a particular sale isn't that great. Yeah, I get it-- 3 lattes, 20 snickers bars, etc. I'm saying that in the context of GOG sales, this one isn't that great. Why is that so hard to grasp? I have like 40 games in my GOG library so I think I'm entitled to a noninflammatory opinion on the desirability of sale packages.

Minsc

Gold Member
MomoPufflet said:
Is there a hardware mouse patch for Fallout 1 or is software the only way? Also, the game doesn't seem to like 32-bit color (it crashes on launch for me). Does it even make a difference?

I've never understood exactly what hardware mouse does in games... however I just updated the Fallout mod list yesterday, did you use the high-res mod and run f1_res_patcher.exe and edit the ini to be 16-bit color? Fallout and Fallout 2 both don't use 32-bit color, they actually run in 8-bit color by default (according to the high-res mods' ini files).

I don't get a single crash and have a very responsive mouse cursor with the mods from the OP. It wouldn't be a bad idea to patch the game across the numbered steps in the order listed there, TeamX's patch fixes a huge number of bugs. The un-numbered steps are mods I haven't used.

epmode said:
I guarantee that I could put together a full GOG release for all of the missing adventure games with nothing more than the original disks, manuals and a scanner. 2 days tops. It's free money, Activision!

In talking with HK-47 yesterday, I came to realize that not only is Activision greedily sitting on the lion's share of the extensive and incredible graphical adventure catalog of Sierra On-Line, they're also sitting on the entirety of the text adventure catalog of Infocom, a collection which has already had all its supplemental material scanned and digitized, which can be distributed with an open-source virtual machine emulator that will run every game 100% perfectly on modern Windows (and Mac and Unix and all smartphone platforms), and which in total, combining the games themselves, the emulator, and all the supplemental material, is less than 100 megabytes in size.

The last full-catalog* release of Infocom's games was Masterpieces of Infocom, which came out in 1996 and now sells for upwards of $140.

*Okay, it's missing the two licensed games.

gotee12

Great job on the OP Minsc. I tried the Freespace 2 Open Installer as you suggested and it went as smooth as silk.

Dang that game got awesome all over again with those mods...

Fraeon

Man, I gotta have me some NWN. That game got awesome modules. Sadly the copy I used to play the game with wasn't mine.

I remember the Penultima series of modules being really good and some Planescape related modules but any idea of other good ones? As far as I remember, the main campaign in NWN was actually kind of crap. Sites like NWVault have huge repositories but a lot of the links are broken and I have no idea what's actually good. :lol

Bootaaay said:
Any opinions of Star Wolves? I've never heard of it before, but it looks like my sort of thing. It seems to have a number of good reviews on the GoG site, but I don't want to spend 10 bucks on the back of some potentially rose-tinted fan reviews.
I haven't played it, but I've heard that the second game is the way to go if you dislike bugs. It's also very likely to be very cheap sometime during the Steam x-mas sale.

Kraftwerk

I hope someone here can help me out.I would like to play some nice adventure games on my macbook,so are any of the GOG games compatible with mac osx?

epmode

Kraftwerk said:
I hope someone here can help me out.I would like to play some nice adventure games on my macbook,so are any of the GOG games compatible with mac osx?
Anything that uses DOSBox or SCUMMVM will work with a Mac. Most of the best adventure games fall into this category so you're good there. Unfortunately, not many of them are actually on GOG.

As for what's there, the first two Gabriel Knight games are pretty rad. The same goes for a bunch of the Space Quest games, although the EVERYTHING KILLS YOU thing might annoy someone unfamiliar with that kind of game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Stallion Free said:
720p seemed to be the sweet spot on my 1080p monitor for Planescape, so I suspect it would be the ideal resolution for Fallout as well (I will try it out myself tonight as it has just been sitting in my GOG account for a while). 1080p gets really ridiculous and is just too much effort when it comes to reading the smaller fonts, especially on a TV that is 3-4 feet away.

Cant you adjust the font size in Torment though through the Tweakpack?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Minsc said:

We might get some of the minor Lucasarts games like the three pack thats on Steam or Fate but I bet all the major games are being held back for MI style remakes. Of course the fact that there is a complete lack of Star Wars, even with stuff like the entire Jedi Knight series, Republic Commando and KotOR already on steam but not on GOG shows that maybe Lucasarts just hates money as par the course for them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
HK-47 said:
One of the tweaks lets you do that, but it only supports resolutions up to 720p. I think it's just options like small/medium/large, with large being nice on TV's IIRC.

Nice thread. I've been looking at GOG because I was never really into PC gaming, and as such there are a lot of old PC games I've never played but want to try out. So once I actually have some money to spend I'm going to pick out a bunch of old games to buy (through GOG if they're available or actually tracking down physical copies if not) and proceed to catch up on a lot of the great gaming I missed out on.

Rctdaemon

ElectricBanquet said:
Nice thread. I've been looking at GOG because I was never really into PC gaming, and as such there are a lot of old PC games I've never played but want to try out. So once I actually have some money to spend I'm going to pick out a bunch of old games to buy (through GOG if they're available or actually tracking down physical copies if not) and proceed to catch up on a lot of the great gaming I missed out on.
You're going to have a lot of work ahead of you.

I just remembered that I own the Police Quest collection CD. Off to play Police Quest II! :lol

DOSBox is easily the best gaming PC application ever made.

coopolon said:
Seriously. I'd gladly drop some cash for the GOG versions of the Quest for Glory games, and Police Quest as well.

I hear that. One easy place for every version that counts (Hero's Quest/QfG1 EGA, QfG1 VGA remake, QfG2, QfG3, QfG4 original and CD-Rom versions, and QfG5).

Fun fact: Jennifer Hale had her very first video game voice acting role in QfG4 as Katrina. Even back then she was awesome.

Minsc

Gold Member
HK-47 said:

Yup, I'm doing my take on Torment mod list update next - should be up by tomorrow morning, though it's really all spelt out in the current link. Just be sure to start a new game and play past the intro dialog before every single step, including the first. Might not be necessary, but doing that will let you know everything is working so you're not stuck guessing between 4 mods as to which you didn't setup properly.

Torment-default-font.jpg
Torment-120-font.jpg

I just ran through the mods on a vanilla GOG install, and they worked perfectly. Ghost Dog's UI mod lets you increase font size, above is a comparison between the default and the maximum 120%, running under a 1920x1080 widescreen resolution.

1280x720 at 80% might look a little nicer, but it makes a huge difference being able to get the type larger at the higher resolutions like 1080p!

disappeared said:
The version I played as a kid was Hero's Quest (before that whole lawsuit business renamed the series) so I'll always call it that. :) And yes, the tavern (don't drink the Dragon's Breath!) and the alley with the Thieves is burned into my memory. Also, raking leaves in the castle, Baba Yaga's hut, the Brigand invasion... soooo good!

Police Quest II was the epitome of depth - I guess as much as it could have been with those old DOS games. You actually had to do your job as a cop would. Dust for prints, calibrate your gun, question witnesses, drive to locations... it was so surreal. Suiting up in diving gear and searching the lake for the missing body was crazy.

Not to mention that if you didn't type "look both ways" when crossing the street you'd get run over.

The Quest for Glory games are still pretty damn good. Played through them all a couple of years ago and they all hold up great, well except for maybe Quest for Glory 5, but I was never a big fan of that game to begin with.

Is there anywhere I can buy Blade Runner, Discworld Noir or more of a long shot Snatcher, digitally? I checked gog but no luck, was thinking maybe another similar service got it?

Visualante said:
Is there anywhere I can buy Blade Runner, Discworld Noir or more of a long shot Snatcher, digitally? I checked gog but no luck, was thinking maybe another similar service got it?

I haven't seen them anywhere. Another I'd love to see is The Last Express

gketter said:
I haven't seen them anywhere. Another I'd love to see is The Last Express
Yeah I don't know what's up with that, when the Prince of Persia game was coming out Idle Thumbs had a brief discussion about it and I got really interested- I mailed whoever owns the rights to it and they didn't seem to know or care about it being re-released digitally.

Top Bottom