• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2010

CTLance

Bought the only game I didn't already own, The Journeyman Project 2. Looking forward to the surprise.

Vagabundo, the GOG downloads are standard HTTP fare through your browser (but without the ability to resume interrupted downloads).

If you need to resume downloads you can get the GOG downloader Adobe AIR executeable from their site, which also allows for queueing up downloads - but it only works for the setup files and not the goodies (OSTs, wallpapers, etc).

After you download the setup file(s) you're done and do not need an internet connection anymore.

Tim-E

I already have Sanitarium and the Longest Journey, but I'll likely buy Tex Murphy before the weekend's over. :D

mclem

CTLance said:
Bought the only game I didn't already own, The Journeyman Project 2. Looking forward to the surprise.

I can't speak too much for the second, but I really enjoyed the first title; admittedly, it fell into a lot of the cliches of adventure games which hit around the appearance of CD-ROMs, but it was still rather enjoyable.

It also had wonderful music. I'd quite like to see the first game on GOG simply for the hope that they've managed to extract it into MP3 format like they've done for a number of other titles.

mclem

Today's surprise: Windows 7 compatability on Arcanum and Myst.

Certainly reassuring that they're still pushing on those fronts.

These surprises have certainly been eclectic, at least!

Minsc

Gold Member
mclem said:
Today's surprise: Windows 7 compatability on Arcanum and Myst.

Certainly reassuring that they're still pushing on those fronts.

I was able to get them both working before today fine, but it is nice that they are trying to make the process easier and stay on top of some of the trickier games. I don't recall any difficulties at all with Arcanum, but Myst had a few issues to get the QT video working properly.

I sorta wish they did 14 days of straight game releases, I'd look forward to that much more than these kind of things. I still think they should get a few more freeware titles on, like Ur-Quan Masters and some of the other popular ones if they could negotiate with the communities, they could always fill in some holes with that if they did a 14-day release run.

If day 14 is EA though, with a double pack of Crusader: No Regret & Remorse, for $5.99 (or even the highly wanted SS to start out), all will be forgiven! No way it is though :(

stuminus3

Did the actually change anything with Arcanum and Myst or did they just "certify" them? I've got Arcanum installed already on W7x64 and it seems to run without issue.

Minsc

Gold Member
stuminus3 said:
Did the actually change anything with Arcanum and Myst or did they just "certify" them? I've got Arcanum installed already on W7x64 and it seems to run without issue.

They definitely changed stuff to make the process of playing more seamless, as it says:

To get the latest, Windows 7 compatible versions of the games, you have to re-download and install them again.

It's not uncommon for them to silently update an installer, many games have been updated after release for troubleshooting purposes, but if it works fine for you, there's likely little reason to get the new installer.

Zachack

onken said:
Hovering over the buy button for Sanitarium...
Stop hovering and start clicking. The only game in that list that people should hesitate on is Journeyman. The other three are pretty much "best in class" level adventure games (although I will admit that the Tex Murphy engine may come across as a bit dated, and I have not tried it recently).

Cool, I've been looking at buying Sanitarium for a while.

The Longest Journey looks interesting as well. I'll wait until the end of the weekend to see if I still want it.

Catshade

Someone on Penny Arcade forum posted this. Ha, I wish... :(

Ip2AP.png

IrishNinja

Catshade said:
Weekend deals:

The Journeyman Project 2 - $3
The Longest Journey - $5
Sanitarium - $5
Tex Murphy: THe Pandora Directive - $5

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Dreamfall's on my wishlist, but still $20 on steam...hoping to come down for the holiday sale. Sanitarium sounds good at that price.

DiscoJer

Catshade said:
GOG one-day special: Red Baron Pack 75% off ($2.50)

Thanks. I don't know if I will ever play it, but I bought it for the manual. 232 pages.

(I had the game back in the day, the original plus the mission designer add-on, but like most of my stuff, it's long gone)

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Funny, as soon as I posted in the Broken Sword 2 thread that I was going to buy both when they're both available, GOG.com makes me an offer I can't refuse.

Gotta love those monks...

epmode

That doesn't include the original, non-dumbed-down BS1, does it? I'd get it if so. Otherwise, the disc will have to do.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just realised they have my favourite game ever on this: Cannon Fodder!

It was so bought, I really wish they had Dungeon Keeper though :(

epmode said:
That doesn't include the original, non-dumbed-down BS1, does it? I'd get it if so. Otherwise, the disc will have to do.

I don't think it does. What was dumbed down-- those little blue dots that tell you where to click? I agree those are pretty annoying. I wish there was a way to turn them off on PC.

epmode

MomoPufflet said:
I don't think it does. What was dumbed down-- those little blue dots that tell you where to click? I agree those are pretty annoying. I wish there was a way to turn them off on PC.
I don't even know about those dots. I was talking about the changed dialogue. I remember some really terrible examples from the early section of the game.

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
I don't even know about those dots. I was talking about the changed dialogue. I remember some really terrible examples from the early section of the game.

I remember making a pretty big stink about it too when it was posted in the DS/Wii remake thread, the changed dialog examples were grating to say the least, when compared directly. However, it's like .01% of the dialog in the entire game that was changed to my understanding.

So little that to someone new to the game, it essentially has no effect and should not be relevant to whether they purchase it. The added intro chapter and in-game hint system, to me, made up for the unfaithful dialog tenfold.

I could see how a big fan who played the original could not stomach such a change in dialog (to me its like preferring the original, comically translated PS version of FF:T over the PSP re-translated version), the way the lines got reworked it changed the whole meaning of them. But still, such a small fraction of the whole game, and really quite irrelevant to most people in the bigger picture.

Minsc

Gold Member
Suairyu said:
GoG don't do Steam-style "bet you wish you waited" deal of the days during holiday sales, do they?

Nope! Shame this wasn't a new publisher, but there's always next year for that. Perfect time to scoop up all these great recent releases if you have been holding off!

CiSTM

Banned
Are Jagged Alliance's expansion packs any good ? I have heard good things about Wildfire and I was thinking of getting it.

Also any opinions of Alone in the dark: the new nightmare. I know it can't reach the level of the orginal game but I haven't played good horror game in a long time so what does gaf think ? Should I give it a try or not ?

edit: offtopic but does somebody know if Nocturne is available in any DD services ?

peakish

Nice sale, though I was hoping for a huge new game or a publisher since I can't buy too many games right now. Egotism, but hey.

Awesome! I've been waiting for Syberia 1 & 2 to drop in price, $9.99 was too steep so 50% off suits me fine.

Picked up;

Another World: 15th Anniversary
Myst: Masterpiece Edition
Postal
Postal 2
Riven
Syberia
Syberia 2

Danj

How long's this sale on for? I want to buy stuff but I'm holding off because of the inevitable Steam sale, and I don't get any more money until the end of this week when I get paid.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Only 21 days left
Atari catalogue sale ends in 6 days
Activision catalogue sale starts in 3 days

You basically have a week to get the D&D games on sale.

epmode

Danj said:
How long's this sale on for? I want to buy stuff but I'm holding off because of the inevitable Steam sale, and I don't get any more money until the end of this week when I get paid.
The sale is on for a few weeks but some games will be added and some will be removed before the end.

Top Bottom