• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going back to the PS3 controller after playing a lot on PS4

Cloudy

Banned
Wow, this thing is awful. How did we manage for all these years? I'm not the biggest fan of the DS4 but it is lightyears ahead of DS3

zkorejo

Yea it feels smaller.. lighter ... cheaper after holding DS4, but after a while I start to get comfortable with it again.

Zomba13

Yeah it's weird. Like, the 360 pad was always better than the DS3 but it was a fine controller (as in it wasn't horrible and did its job). But the DS4 is just so much better that going back just feels wrong, like it just feels cheaper and nothing feels as good. I thinnk the DS4 is definitely the most improve controller (well, maybe N64 -> GC is) and beats the hell out of the the Xbone pad's billion or whatever ergonomic improvements that it boasted.

Cloudy

Banned
Yea it feels smaller.. lighter ... cheaper after holding DS4, but after a while I start to get comfortable with it again.

The grips are way too short and it's not comfortable to hold AT ALL. 360 pad was always better but it seems more noticeable going from sony to sony lol

Soulflarz

Banned
Im fine either way >.< used that design so long (because its basically the ps2s also) that it doesnt bother me whatsoever.

dcassell

Banned
I have big hands and definitely prefer the PS3 controller. But I don't have two fingers on the shoulders at all times, which I have to do on the PS4 to prevent cramps after an hour or so. I like the lighter form, and the sticks feel great to me. Although, if you're one to break controllers easily, it's understandable. My room mates fall into that category and prefer the PS4 controller

Yeah, the Dualshock 3 wasn't a very good controller. I could've told you that back in 2006. I'm glad the PS controller finally got a huge makeover with the DS4. Shame about the battery life, though.

Tohsaka

DS3 obviously isn't as good, but it doesn't bother me too much switching between them. There are more PS3 games coming out this year that I want than PS4 games, so I'll still be using it a lot.

Orayn

Recently got my PS4 and I'm loving the controller. I've still got a few minor gripes like the triggers being slightly spongy and the handles being a tiny bit smaller than I'd like them, but overall it's superb. Easily matches or exceeds the 360 controller for modern multiplats, and it's actually usable for classic/2D stuff because of the d-pad.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really don't get this general sentiment.

The concave analogue sticks and triggers are nice, but otherwise it's no sea change.

And I find the L3/R3 clicks on the DS4 are way too sensitive, which has been a colossal pain in FPSes. Can't tell you how many times I've died because I put on a feather touch of pressure while tracking a target and melee'd as I was in a firefight. It's infuriating, and it's not a problem I've had with any other controller.

plainr_

The DS4 is great and all, but going back to the DS3 or any controller for that matter is a non-issue for me. I literally forget what controller I'm using when I play.

mike4001_

Wow, this thing is awful. How did we manage for all these years? I'm not the biggest fan of the DS4 but it is lightyears ahead of DS3

Being mainly a Xbox 360 Player and also buying a PS3 2-3 years ago I could never understand how people could use this nightmare of a controller and even calling it "good" or "decent" ;)

nib95

Banned
The DS4 is great and all, but going back to the DS3 or any controller for that matter is a non-issue for me. I literally forget what controller I'm using when I play.
Pretty much the same with me. Takes me maybe a minute or more to adjust to any other controller and then I'm set again.

Arklite

It's like an old glove for me. Actually I have no problem at all using any and all official controllers from the past 3 gens.

Yes. You can use a DS4 with a PS3 now. I feel right at home with any PlayStation controller though.

The inevitable day when Sony decides to drastically change the design of the controller will be a sad one indeed.

they should've gone with the boomerang controller for the ps3. that one looks even more comfortable than the DS4.

kTYi1jY.jpg
sLcTnqR.jpg

The grips are way too short and it's not comfortable to hold AT ALL. 360 pad was always better but it seems more noticeable going from sony to sony lol

So long as you're holding it with the controller resting on your fingers and your palms raised from the grips, it's comfortable to use.

You can tell it was designed for D-Pad and face button use only when holding it like you would hold the 360/XB1/PS4 controllers (with your palms gripping around the grips), since with the DS3, instead of your thumbs easily being able to switch between stick and buttons, it'll be stuck on the D-Pad/buttons. They just added thumbsticks to a controller not designed with thumbsticks in mind and kept it for 2.5 generations.

they should've gone with the boomerang controller for the ps3. that one looks even more comfortable than the DS4.

kTYi1jY.jpg
sLcTnqR.jpg

That first picture always tripped me out. Why is the D-Pad so crooked? I mean, that's fine if you want it to be crooked if it's "more comfortable" (if it is) but atleast keep it consistent and make the face buttons crooked too.

coastel

Goto agree a horrible control pad, one of the reasons i payed 360 alot more. Glad the ps4 pad for me is one of the best out there now.

Gray Matter

But you can play TLoU with the Dualshock 4...

I know, but since I can't re-map the buttons it's very awkward using the DS4. That why when TLoU: remastered comes out I'll re-map the buttons just like the PS3 version. And also, there's a lot of dead zones while using the DS4 in TLoU

KyleCross

I never got the hate for the DualShock 3. To hate the DS3 means you also hated the DS1 and DS2, and I had never heard that. I grew up and used that design almost exclusively for 15 years, it's pretty much a part of me. Don't get me wrong, the DS4 is awesome but this hate existed before it apparently.

I also cannot fathom how I constantly have other gamers tell me the 360 controller was the best gaming controller ever, I dislike it.

I never got the hate for the DualShock 3. To hate the DS3 means you also hated the DS1 and DS2, and I had never heard that. I grew up and used that design almost exclusively for 15 years, it's pretty much a part of me. Don't get me wrong, the DS4 is awesome but this hate existed before it apparently.

Probably has to do with people growing and stuff.

It's not particularly off to assume that adults who played the PS3 last gen played the previous two Playstations in their childhood and teens when they had much smaller hands that could accommodate the Dualshock design better than their hands when they grew up. It's not that people suddenly decided to hate the Dualshock all of a sudden with the PS3 (Although those triggers were awful), so much that the DS3 didn't evolve while the generation that grew up with the design did.

I also cannot fathom how I constantly have other gamers tell me the 360 controller was the best gaming controller ever, I dislike it.
it's too small. i was a smaller person with smaller hands when the ps1 and ps2 came out.

Melchiah

No issues with using the DS3 here, when I played ME3 MP a while ago. I miss the convex analogue sticks. Never had to adjust my thumbs mid-game with them. And firing being set to L1/R1 by default, as it's easier to use secondary functions on L2/R2 simultaneously.

I think it's because standards changed. The DS1/2 were the best at the time and at one point, the NES controller was the best controller. I personally don't ever want to hold that thing again (NES controller), or maybe I do just for nostalgia's sake but it was uncomfortable as hell. Nobody really complained because that was the best at the time.

Like it or not, the 360 controller did a lot of things right that the DS3 didn't (and a whole lot wrong). The DS1/2/3 were outdated controllers, literally. The PS1's original controllers weren't made with thumbsticks in mind, it was made for D-Pad and face button use only. Then they added thumbsticks without updating the ergonomics. That's why when you hold it with your palms gripping around the grips, your thumbs will be touching the buttons and the D-Pad and trying to reach for the thumbstick with your palms still gripping the grips will be very uncomfortable and it will make actual use of the sticks impossible.

It's a perfectly fine controller but it could definitely have been better. Simply updating the ergonomics to accommodate stick usage would've done a lot. I mean, it's not impossible to use the sticks, but letting the controller rest in your finger tips and keeping your palms raised to allow your thumbs to use all of the controls is not exactly ideal.

I never minded the DS3. The 360 pad was great but also had its disadvantages. Still, I've zero issue going back to the PS3

I think it's because standards changed. The DS1/2 were the best at the time and at one point, the NES controller was the best controller. I personally don't ever want to hold that thing again (NES controller), or maybe I do just for nostalgia's sake but it was uncomfortable as hell. Nobody really complained because that was the best at the time.

Like it or not, the 360 controller did a lot of things right that the DS3 didn't (and a whole lot wrong). The DS1/2/3 were outdated controllers, literally. The PS1's original controllers weren't made with thumbsticks in mind, it was made for D-Pad and face button use only. Then they added thumbsticks without updating the ergonomics. That's why when you hold it with your palms gripping around the grips, your thumbs will be touching the buttons and the D-Pad and trying to reach for the thumbstick with your palms still gripping the grips will be very uncomfortable and it will make actual use of the sticks impossible.

It's a perfectly fine controller but it could definitely have been better. Simply updating the ergonomics to accommodate stick usage would've done a lot. I mean, it's not impossible to use the sticks, but letting the controller rest in your finger tips and keeping your palms raised to allow your thumbs to use all of the controls is not exactly ideal.

I'm not 100% sure but from the way you describe I'm thinking that maybe you weren't holding it right or maybe trying to hold it like a 360 pad. It's certainly not as ergonomic but I was never uncomfortable

Kagutaba

The DS3 is truly atrocious. The handles are too short, the sticks too lose and too close together. It weighs nothing and feels really cheap. The R2 and L2 "triggers" is basically useless, and makes using any action that gets mapped to them a chore.

I hate it. And I can't understand how so many people could endure playing multi-platform games with it during the last generation, when you had other options.

As far as I'm concerned if you played any multi-platform game on the Playstation 3, be it Dark Souls or Dishonoured, you played the worst version possible solely because of that Controller.

Wow! That was nice to get of my chest. I bought a Playstation 3 for The Last of Us and then of course they had to go and announce a rerelease on the Playstation 4 making my purchase completely unnecessary!

(I also have purchased and played through Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Metal Gear Rising on the Playstation 3)

n0tail

Banned
The pisspoor design of the DS3 is the reason I went with Xbox 360 last generation. It's simply unplayable. It gives me pain on the my thumbs and is just designed for people with tiny tiny hands. Cannot fathom how some people actually defend it.

Kagutaba

The pisspoor design of the DS3 is the reason I went with Xbox 360 last generation. It's simply unplayable. It gives me pain on the my thumbs and is just designed for people with tiny tiny hands. Cannot fathom how some people actually defend it.

Stockholm Syndrome.

Mohasus

Not everyone has your hands. I really like those big triggers, it is the only controller that I can rest my middle finger on them without problems. Other triggers are too thin for me. It feels like they are designed for you to press R1/R2 using one finger only.

I haven't used the DS4 too much though, but between X360, XO and PS3 controllers, I'll choose DS3 everytime.

Radec

Cannot fathom how some people like the things that I don't like!

I never minded the DS3. The 360 pad was great but also had its disadvantages. Still, I've zero issue going back to the PS3

I'm not 100% sure but from the way you describe I'm thinking that maybe you weren't holding it right or maybe trying to hold it like a 360 pad. It's certainly not as ergonomic but I was never uncomfortable

Well, it is comfortable for me since I held it with it laying in my fingers with my palms not touching the grips but hovering over them to allow my thumbs to easily move from D-Pad/face buttons to thumb sticks.

My description was of someone moving from 360 to PS3 and how they'd be used to gripping the controller with their palms rather than just letting it rest in their fingers. It's true that they'd be holding the controller wrong but "holding" something by letting it rest in your fingers is pretty strange in the first place. Well, probably not. Smartphones are held the same way, with it laying in your fingers with palms open and not touching the phone to allow your thumbs to reach every part of the screen easily.

Might I ask, how did you hold the DS3? I'm not gonna defend the thing because it was poorly designed but there's no reason why it should be hurting your thumbs unless you're holding it the way I described how people who complain about the controller tend to hold it. Hold it like how you would hold a smartphone as described above, this allows your thumbs free range of motion from the sticks to the buttons. I'll admit, there wouldn't be this problem if they designed the controller better but there are ways of making it so your thumbs don't hurt, big hands or not, blisters from button mashing in fighting games notwithstanding.

Santar

I really like the DS3, I still use the sixaxis controller I got with my GTA IV PS3 bundle in 2008. Works great to this day, now that's quality. (unlike the DS4).
I really like the light weight of it and it has a pretty great dpad as well.

Top Bottom