• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going Back to Your Favorite Game

What was it like going back to your favorite game after a long hiatus?

It's been about four years since I last played Final Fantasy IX. Prior to that I always played it at least one year. I've been absent from it in recent years because I was on my way graduating from a community college and proceeding into a university where I obtained my bachelor's. While I was at school I felt that I didn't have much time to play games and I had a lot of other distractions so my gaming habits were mainly confined to multiplayer games. I did however beat Dino Crisis 2, Brutal Legend, and The Last of Us during my stay, but I found that I could play those in shorter bursts. An RPG, you have to take your time with.

During my academic adventure my PS2 and PS3 died and I had lost two of my four copies of Final Fantasy IX. I naturally decided to just play it on an emulator, but I could never get it to work even with help online. I called a friend for help and he said "yeah, he could only get it to work one time" and I should just play it on my PS3. I did not have a PS3, but fortunately, my little brother got a PS3 for Christmas somewhere during this time. I knew I only had access to two copies of the game and remembered how some of them are scratched to a point of being unplayable, but I decided to take the chance and start up a new file.

It felt like I was home again. All kinds of feelings and memories swept over me when I saw that first FMV. Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game. Every playthrough is precious and this one was no different. It's something that I remember where almost each hidden "!" item is placed and remembered what bosses had the stuff worth stealing. I also found myself doing the same strategies in certain fights like using a tent on Gizamaluke to make him blind and silent, thus making him ridiculously easy, but the thing I enjoyed most this time was the thing that made it my number one game, the story.

The story of Final Fantasy IX is charming, solemn, and also romantic. The story starts off playful and adventurous, but by the end of the first disc things start to become serious. The game never becomes entirely gloom, though it has plenty of seriousness, it also has comedy to break up the tension. Final Fantasy IX is one of the most well-written games I've played. I admire how well the dialogue flows and how the characters play off each other. Despite being a man of crime, Zidane is carefree and goodhearted. Garnet is determined and naive, Steiner is chivalrous, Vivi is cowardly, Freya is brash, but also hurt, Quina is also carefree, Eiko is rambunctious, and Amarant is solemn. They all grow over the course of the game and I love almost all of them except for Amarant, while not bad, but I felt that he could have been integrated better into the story.

Even almost fifteen years later there are things in the game that I did not really fully recognized until this playthrough.
Gameplay-wise I didn't realize that the Zaghnol that shows up during the Festival of the Hunt shows up in districts other than the Business District. At the end of Disc 3 I think I didn't quite pay attention to or comprehend the dialogue that Zidane had when he confronted Garland. Zidane and the rest of the genomes except for Kuja are all immortal. The genome Vivi talks to in Bran Bal tells him that they do not possess age and Garland states to Zidane "Forget all that. You are destined to live among the stars for all eternity." The sequence of Zidane walking through Bran Bal leading to this was powerful as you could see how this had really affected Zidane how really great his friends are. The "You Are Not Alone" scene is one of the best moments in gaming period. Uematsu really set the tone with that score for that scene.
After the events of Disc 3 were over, my game came to halt temporarily. My disc 4 was messed up and I couldn't get past the first FMV. Switched to my other disc 4 and that one didn't work either. I was furious! Thankfully a kind Gaf member hear was gracious enough to provide me a code so I could buy it and download it off of PSN. I was going to finish this playthrough.

The ending scene of this game is what really hits me though. Seeing Vivi's children, Steiner hooking up with Beatrix, Freya returning to her love, and Quina dropping knowledge was so heartwarming. I mourn for Vivi.

The game's theme revolves around
life. Kuja was given life for the purpose to end life and ended up finding out that his life had a limit. Zidane was also created for a similar purpose and had an urgency to preserve the life of others. Garnet's life was altered by Garland and Kuja. Garland destroyed her home and killed her mother which lead to her ending up in Alexandria and being raised as a princess. Kuja pushed Garnet's new mother and supplied her with weapons, which ultimately lead to war and her mother's death. Vivi found out that he was created with the intent to end lives just like Kuja and that his own life had a limit. During the course of the game Steiner came to terms with how he wanted to live his life. He was previously naive just like Garnet and was blindly devoted to Queen Brahne until he saw that Garnet's life was in danger, this goes true for Beatrix as well though she started to show signs a little earlier than Steiner, when she found out that Brahne did not appreciate her retrieving the stone from Cleyra. Freya represents the sorry in life. Her love went up one day to travel the world and she never heard from him again until he springs up on the day of Cleyra's destruction and discovers that he doesn't remember her. She also witnesses her home being destroyed and her race almost being wiped out. Quina is representative of joy in life. Quina never gets sad or truly angry and always makes way by the simplest things in life. She is never bothered by the troubles of the world. Eiko is also someone who had a lot taken away from her and she makes a very important realization early about making choices for yourself and not for what other people want. Amarant's is a little funny to me. He ties into seeing the importance of company in his stride basically
In contrast to IX, I say that X's theme was death.

On the gameplay side of things, it is serviceable in terms of combat. I know many people feel it's too slow, but I never had an issue with it. The Trance system is a little irritating, but it doesn't kill anything for me and it shows up enough in boss fights for me. Most status effects don't last long enough in this game. Sleep, Haste, Protect, and Shell are the particular ones I'm talking about. Out of all the FF games I've played I felt that Haste is the least useful in this one. I really don't use it outside of the Auto-Hast ability. The game does exploration pretty well and I love Chocobo Hot & Cold. I still never remember where the majority of the chocograph locations are despite the many times I've done them.

All in all it was so great to play this game again. This game lead to my decision of becoming a writer and to own my own game company. Recently after playing through this I feel that my first novel isn't good enough anymore and I should do some moderate rewrites because I didn't quite catch the essence that made IX great. This game also lead to me picking up drawing and even writing rhymes, which I think I'm going to start getting back into.

Have any of you gone back to playing your favorite game after a long hiatus and what did that experience do for you?

FFX is my favorite game. it's easy to go back to because they port it to every system ever :)
Though I still prefer the ps2 version because of superior faces. PCSX2 version in 1080p is so beautiful ")

Anon67

I went back to the first Halo with the MCC. Great game, but I hate how at some parts, you are forced to fight waves of enemies over and over in an area. I just want to get through the level, not stay in this room for 40 minutes on legendary!

Josh5890

First off congrats with your college journey to this point. I'm nearly finished and I know the pain of losing gaming time.

As for my favorite games, I always make it to a point to play Super mario 64 once a year. That game is a classic and it still holds up today.

Jims

While technically not my favorite game (although it's so close it may as well be), I just started replaying Final Fantasy VI a couple days ago. Probably my third or fourth run through the whole game, but it's been at least 5-7 years since my last.

The main thing that I forgot about it was how difficult it can be if you're not being careful. I thought I could breeze through it and not worry about characters' HP too much, but some of the early enemies pack a surprisingly strong punch. It's so relentlessly old school, with a lot of post-battle Cure-spamming afterwards.

Also, the characters walk a lot slower than I remembered. Thank gawd for Sprint Shoes.

There are a lot of small details I forgot, like a couple components to Locke's stealth scenario, as well as the weird cave re-tracing steps mini-puzzle in Edgar & Terra's. Edgar and Terra's whole scenario actually felt so dull, it felt like padding this time around. Sabin's scenario was just as flawless as I remembered it to be. Mr. Thou is still the best.

Sotha_Sil

Morrowind was a pleasure to replay, but it certainly lost some of its wonder when I knew exactly where to go for every dungeon, quest, and hidden item.

I still consider it the best game I have ever played.

Are you my long lost twin, OP? Actually, I always played FFIX with my best friend. It is by far the most emotionally hitting game ever. I can call it my favorite game of all time, even knowing I played Super Mario 64, DK Racing and others. We played the game for a decade, and maybe we'll be playing it again some time in the future.

And you're right about the theme of the game being life. The story, the characters, the art, the music, the battling, the FMVs, the laughs, the tears, the everything. It is such a masterpiece. Still looks and plays great. I feel a deep sitting love every time I see something from it.

I can go on forever about this game, but I think I've said enough already. Thanks, OP, you made me think happy thoughts.

Kirby's Adventure for me!

I love that game with a passion. If you can play that game without having fun, then I don't think you have a soul.

I love going back to it. It still holds up IMO. Plenty to do, the hub world is amazing and I always go back when I hear about easter eggs or glitches like keeping the UFO.

Booshka

I just hope my favorite game doesn't get its online shutdown, cuz that would be the end of me replaying it.

Most of my favorite games have excellent gameplay that will never get old, so it's a lot easier to replay them. They aren't just tied to a time in my life that I enjoyed, although that can be a part of it too.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Radiata Stories is just as charming and heartwarming as it was my first playthrough. I just love the world and feel to it. It's like the game world has so much history and intrigue that doesn't even care about you as a main character.

Basically, until the final boss, you don't even matter as a character. You're just a guy who is trying to do good and make friends. It's a wholesome game that I can sink so much time into. I still remember every great item and where to get them.

bjork

As a kid, I used to play Pirates! on C64 all the time and I would never use the manual to look up the information that is asked of you very early into a playthrough.

Years later, I realized it was copy protection. Made for at least a slightly different experience now, heh.

Are you my long lost twin, OP? Actually, I always played FFIX with my best friend. It is by far the most emotionally hitting game ever. I can call it my favorite game of all time, even knowing I played Super Mario 64, DK Racing and others. We played the game for a decade, and maybe we'll be playing it again some time in the future.

And you're right about the theme of the game being life. The story, the characters, the art, the music, the battling, the FMVs, the laughs, the tears, the everything. It is such a masterpiece. Still looks and plays great. I feel a deep sitting love every time I see something from it.

I can go on forever about this game, but I think I've said enough already. Thanks, OP, you made me think happy thoughts.

No problem. Diddy Kong Racing is my shit too. I haven't played it in forever. I might pick it up now after I get halfway done wit Advance Wars.

I almost never replay JRPGs after finishing them because the random battles would annoy me. On the other hand I love to replay point-and-click adventure games for example.

Tenebrous

I can't go back to Wrath of the Lich King.

:(

Wrath was great up to and including 3.1. 3.2 was alright, but 3.3 ruined it for me... LFD just killed server community spirit ]: TBC forever.

Anyway, going back to Final Fantasy VI is really easy. The gameplay holds up, the music is still great (albeit technically dated), and the story is enjoyable.

bobawesome

Growing up, Majora's Mask was one of my favorite games but I was never able to beat it. I somehow lost the Expansion Pak for my N64, a friend wanted his copy of The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition back, etc. I'd get to Termina Bay each time before having to stop my quest.

I was ecstatic when Nintendo announced they were bringing Majora's Mask to the Virtual Console in 2009 for the reasonable price of $10. Finally, I'd have a chance to beat it. It's been about six years since then and I'm hungering for more Majora's Mask. That 3DS version looks mighty tempting. Sure would be nice if I had some money for it. I'm sure the feeling of childish wonder will come surging back when I finally get my hands on it.

Tenebrous

I've never got the chance to play an MMO outside of a Beta, but going off your post I assume expansions are no longer playable once a new one comes out?

All the content is still there, it's just that it's meaningless now we're so much more powerful that bosses die in one hit.

The attitude of the community is nowhere near the same, either.

For the longest time I used to play Final Fantasy VIII every year, although now I've played it once within the last three or four years. It's a flawed game with a plot that goes insane the moment it hits disc three and a level up system that is so easily breakable that you can get all the potential items to become overpowered before leaving Balamb Garden (The very first area of the game) by playing cards. All it takes is a bit of AP to be able to modify cards into items and the ability to convert those into spells and the game becomes pathetically easy, plus with enemies levelling up as you do it might be the only game that becomes easier when you do a solo character play through as opposed to more difficult.

And I still absolutely adore the game. The setting, environments, the graphics, and the soundtrack are all amazing. The plot is better in practise than execution but still has some interesting ideas and the Trabia Garden scene is as fantastic as it is awful. Other FF games have done other things better (except maybe when it comes to the soundtrack) but this will always be a special game to me. I hope that VII comes to the PS4 soon so they can get VIII on there.

Top Bottom