• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Age Anime Thread....List them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemic

hosannainexcelsis said:
Haha, Garzey's Wing is enjoyably bad madness from an unbelievably incompetent director. FLCL is legitimately good stuff. It's ambiguous, symbolic, and out-there, but it accomplishes what it's aiming for very well. The two OVAs should not be linked in any way.

Would you recommend I watch the original jpn voices or stick with the english dub? I usually do subs.(with the exception of berserk as the dub was extremely well done) From the first episode it seems like an ova that can't be properly replicated with its out there craziness by english voice actors.

Dead

well not really...yet
FLCL is one of the few shows i'd qualify as having a dub worth hearing. Its actually well done imo.

Onemic

Just finished the third episode, and I'm used to the shows craziness now. Animation and music is still amazing as usual, and now that I'm accustomed to how the show is, its become much funnier. Liking/loving it so far.(even though most of it still doesn't make much sense) Can't wait to get on to ep.4

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm probably in the minority opinion but I find the dub pretty bad. It tries too hard to be exactly like the JP track down to the inflections in speech and sounds really shitty and awkward.

Jex

I also dislike the dub. I used to find it acceptable, back when I first watched the show, but now it irks me a great deal. Like pretty much every anime dub.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Needs moar Nagahama awesomeness

1.jpg

158.jpg

daimos-episode-1.jpg

img_3514-499x500.jpg

As far as Combattler V is concerned however, ignore the post-Garuda episodes.

Are there any new cyberpunk-Anime out there?
I really miss Anime like Armitage, Venus Senki, Silent Moebius, Crest of the Stars etc.

The last ones I remember watching were Terra he... and the first half of FREEDOM.
And currently I am reading Sidonia no Kishi, which also reminds me of the "past" Cyberpunk/Scifi-Anime.

Any suggestions? Did similar Anime even came out?

Finaika

Chairmanchuck said:
Are there any new cyberpunk-Anime out there?
I really miss Anime like Armitage, Venus Senki, Silent Moebius, Crest of the Stars etc.

The last ones I remember watching were Terra he... and the first half of FREEDOM.
And currently I am reading Sidonia no Kishi, which also reminds me of the "past" Cyberpunk/Scifi-Anime.

Any suggestions? Did similar Anime even came out?
Appleseed XIII

BearChair

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I need some buying advice. I've been reading the unpopular anime opinions thread and Giant Robo has been mentioned several times. It seems like something that might be up my alley. However, looking on amazon, there are multiple versions, all with different run times. Can someone let me know if this show if really worth seeking out and what the definitive DVD version of it is?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I need some buying advice. I've been reading the unpopular anime opinions thread and Giant Robo has been mentioned several times. It seems like something that might be up my alley. However, looking on amazon, there are multiple versions, all with different run times. Can someone let me know if this show if really worth seeking out and what the definitive DVD version of it is?
I would say go with this thin-packaging version, based on amazon info. It seems to be the most recent release with a longer run time (I would assume that's something to do with extra content).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MD2YWA/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I've been planning to pick it up at some point, and that's the version I've got on my wishlist.

It's a low enough price (and sometimes goes to a $15 price, I've noticed) that it shouldn't be too much trouble to take a leap into watching it. From what I've heard, it is more of an enjoyable show if you know a bit more about the genre's past, but still something you can like at face value.

edit: haha, I think the price changed as I was posting this. That, or I was mistaking the other package price for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom