• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Age Anime Thread....List them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedSwirl

Guess I'm gonna have to be the one to represent:

9gact0.jpg

RedSwirl

survivor said:
70 is creepy, 80 and 90 are disgusting, 00 and 60 are alright

That's just a really bad example of the 90's. A better one is the Geass comparison... which I cannot find.

It was typical for many animes from the 90s like Slayers or Tenchi Muyo... okay the K-On picture it's a little extreme but not untrue.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That's not 70's!

Also time to put in some classic Literature animoo. Here are some of my favorites.

Anne of Green Gables

anne-of-green-gables.jpg

A Little Princess

shot0039.png

Heidi of the Mountains

heidi-closeup.jpg

Trapp Family Story (Yes, Sound of Music got an anime)

38010.jpg

Nobody's Girl

remy1510.jpg

Flowers of Charlotte

5035.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ookami-kun said:
I'm just saying that it really didn't do much and that the show isn't something special.
It's a very well directed show with memorable, even relatable characters and an interesting hook. It also has great mechanical animation --pretty much anybody who was somebody worked on it.

Your grudge against Gainax and their works is certainly something. We get it, you know about Ideon and Zambot 3. There's no need to whip them out every time Eva gets mentioned in a positive light.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Isn't it a little tacky watching them just recycle Western literature in the World Masterpiece Theater stuff? I can see the fascination for a Japanese person, I guess.

Apparently Heidi, Girl of the Alps is incredibly popular and I had planned on watching at least a bit of it because Isao Takahata directed it in his younger years.
I think most of the love of those series is directed toward the Takahata directed ones anyways. I rarely see the other ones mentioned anywhere.

icarus-daedelus said:
Isn't it a little tacky watching them just recycle Western literature in the World Masterpiece Theater stuff? I can see the fascination for a Japanese person, I guess.

Apparently Heidi, Girl of the Alps is incredibly popular and I had planned on watching at least a bit of it because Isao Takahata directed it in his younger years.

Why? They are all well-made, I see no problems wathcing WMT animes.

And I watched it since I was a little kid in Singapore, Taiwan and then Europe, so they have a great nostalgic value for me.

Boss Doggie

Finaika said:
^ You have fine taste.

Also Perrine.

Ah yes, Perrine.

Goddamnit it, I cried when her mom and donkey died. ;_;

PdotMichael said:
although Nobody's Girl killed the World Masterpiece Theater animes, because of low ratings.

B-but Nobody's Girl is really good!

icarus-daedelus said:

There's something endearing about watching them animated, to say the least. And seeing them animated in an episodic format rather than theatrical sort of expands them.

Aigis said:
It's a very well directed show with memorable, even relatable characters and an interesting hook. It also has great mechanical animation --pretty much anybody who was somebody worked on it.

Your grudge against Gainax and their works is certainly something. We get it, you know about Ideon and Zambot 3. There's no need to whip them out every time Eva gets mentioned in a positive light.

It's more on the noisy fans actually. I really don't care much about Gainax's stuff. The only thing that remotely made me interested is His and Her Circumstance, and that's because they didn't do their batshit scenes in the show.

Jex

Ookami-kun said:
...I think you're the one missing out my gripe. I'm not arguing EVA isn't popular, I'm just saying that it really didn't do much and that the show isn't something special.
I mean, this is like, empirically wrong. Even if we're just talking popularity, what it did clearly worked.
Ookami-kun said:
Because you know, all of Tomino's works are the same! FYI he's only partially involved in Zambot 3[...]And yes, the age thing does matter because the main "praise" Eva gets is that "it does it first".
Complaining about someone making a broad brush generalisation, and then making a broad brush generalisation is a bit hypocritical.

dysonEA

Regulus Tera said:
Is there an actual golden age of animu or are people just posting stuff from their childhoods?

I think its the late 80s and all of the 90s that were the golden age.

Wazzim

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Is there an actual golden age of animu or are people just posting stuff from their childhoods?
End of the 80's till the start of the 90's are pretty golden age like no?

Jex

Krev said:
[Evangelion]. The director was going through depression as he was working on it, and his attempts at expressing his feelings at times overcome the narrative. I think his directorial style has been very influential for modern anime.
I would like to point out that this is factually incorrect. He was suffering from depression while working on Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.
Regulus Tera said:
No, there isn't really a 'golden age'. You can talk about good years, and good periods, but I'd be hard pushed to apply the 'golden age' label too liberally, especially if you're not mentioning all the excellent shows from the 2000's.

Boss Doggie

Jexhius said:
I mean, this is like, empirically wrong. Even if we're just talking popularity, what it did clearly worked.

Complaining about someone making a broad brush generalisation, and then making a broad brush generalisation is a bit hypocritical.

I'm not saying it isn't popular.

And yes, it's ignorant not to acknowledge that fact - a lot of people do say that it "deconstructs" a lot of things or "tried things first".

Regulus Tera said:

A lot of the posts here aren't really "golden age" though :p

Jex

Ookami-kun said:
And yes, it's ignorant not to acknowledge that fact - a lot of people do say that it "deconstructs" a lot of things or "tried things first".
Regardless of what 'lots of people' may or may not say, I think it's much more constructive to directly address points ranged by actual members on this forum, as opposed to blaming SEELE.
icarus-daedelus said:
Well, when these World Masterpiece Theatre shows are directed by Isao Takahata, with the help of Hayo Miyazaki and others you end up with, in my experience, some of the finest anime television series that I've ever seen. This is hardly surprising when you consider the talent that went into making these things.

Mature

Ooh, I didn't know this thread existed. Here are a couple contributions off the top of my head:

Detective Conan
detective_conan_wallpaper_9899.jpg

Ghost in the Shell (any of it)
ghost-in-the-shell-poster.jpg

Chromartie High School
26821111356844.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ookami-kun said:
Why do you keep bringing up this imaginary "lot of people" who have nothing to do with this discussion instead of addressing points made by people that are actually a part of the discussion?

BearChair

So how exactly does one find this stuff. Kimagure Orange Road was put out by Animeigo ages ago and finding Haibane Renmei isn't exactly as easy as Bleach or Naruto? If I wanted to stream this stuff legally where could I start looking? Crunchyroll?

Shouta

Aigis said:
Why do you keep bringing up this imaginary "lot of people" who have nothing to do with this discussion instead of addressing points made by people that are actually a part of the discussion?

But uh, you guys haven't really made any points. You're just saying "Nuh uh!" The only thing resembling a point that anyone has made is thta Tomino is a bad director, but then Anno is bad too so it's even.

Ookami-kun said:
It's more on the noisy fans actually. I really don't care much about Gainax's stuff. The only thing that remotely made me interested is His and Her Circumstance, and that's because they didn't do their batshit scenes in the show.

Uh, there's some ridiculous stuff in Karekano.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah I thought the same thing prior to watching Anne of green gables - but it's really wonderful in terms of execution due to takahata directorial skills, you can even see elements of his later work like only yesterday show up in it. Plus it's considered one of the most faithful adaptations of the novel, and probably the best one to!

I'm not so sure if it's worth bothering with any WMT anime if it's not directed by dezaki and takahata tho.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Shouta said:
But uh, you guys haven't really made any points. You're just saying "Nuh uh!" The only thing resembling a point that anyone has made is thta Tomino is a bad director, but then Anno is bad too so it's even.
What? I explained reasons why it's popular. It's well-made and has a great hook as well as characters that people remember/relate to/etc.

He thinks that the only reason people like it is because they think it's a DEEP deconstruction that did NEW THINGS, but thankfully Ookami-kun himself is here to enlighten us and tell us that it didn't do anything new so it really doesn't deserve its popularity, for some reason.

Also Tomino is an objectively bad director. His writing is poor and contrived. He has ABSOLUTE NO SENSE OF PACING AT ALL, seriously watching his shows is mind boggling because they're paced so poorly. Editing.. scenes in Tomino anime do not flow -- this is not another way of saying "they don't flow well" -- no, they don't flow. At all. Each new scene is like a new episode in itself. And when each new scene starts it feels like the characters have already been doing whatever for several minutes before the viewer arrived. This is not a good thing.

In short, he's so amazingly awful that pretty much everything he's made is watchable for the wrong reasons.

Anno is/was (Rebuild is terrible, even if he's only the chief director of that I'll still blame him for it) a GREAT director and a middling writer.

Pollux

Because it's not mentioned enough:

char.gif

199675.jpg

As well as...

ShiningGundam.jpg

and...

I'll get bashed for this one but I really enjoyed the mech design...

Wing_Zero.jpg

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
SaitoH said:
No one mentioned Rose of Versailles!
That is a crime!
Many shows that Dezaki was involved with hold up very well and are worth checking out. Ashita no Joe, Rose of Versailles, Oniisama E, Black Jack, etc.
Jexhius said:
I would like to point out that this is factually incorrect. He was suffering from depression while working on Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water.
As I understand it, his depression was a long-term thing. I'm aware of what he was going through when making Nadia, and how expressing himself through Eva became his way of 'not running away' from his problems or the rest of society (since he felt making anime was one of the only ways he was able to properly communicate with the world around him). He's stated that when he finished Eva he felt completely empty, like there was no more purpose to his life and no reason to go on living, and I recall an anecdote about him retreating to a snow covered island and spending days walking around, sometimes barefoot, in a kind of daze, before he was able to find the motivation to make The End of Evangelion. There was an NHK special from in 1998 where he teaches animation to school kids in his home town, and he shows a lot of signs of depression in that. It's not something that was limited to his time making Nadia.

Boss Doggie

Jexhius said:
Regardless of what 'lots of people' may or may not say, I think it's much more constructive to directly address points ranged by actual members on this forum, as opposed to blaming SEELE.
Aigis said:

Don't need to go that far. Just got o TVTropes or ANN or any similar forum.

With that said, I just said that as a follow up to a post many aeons ago.

Shouta said:
Uh, there's some ridiculous stuff in Karekano.

I guess, but it's not as mind-boggling.

Aigis said:
Anno is/was (Rebuild is terrible, even if he's only the chief director of that I'll still blame him for it) a GREAT director and a middling writer.

I guess if you consider making people bewildered by weird imagery as great?

Anyway needs more classic Tatsunoko

Science-Ninja-Team-Gatchaman-picture.jpg

casshan2.jpg

tekkaman1.jpg

HurricanePolymar4.jpg

Risette

A Good Citizen
Ookami-kun said:
I guess if you consider making people bewildered by weird imagery as great?
Has nothing to do with the quality of his direction. There are few TV anime as well-directed as Eva TV is.

Shouta

Aigis said:
What? I explained reasons why it's popular. It's well-made and has a great hook as well as characters that people remember/relate to/etc.

He thinks that the only reason people like it is because they think it's a DEEP deconstruction that did NEW THINGS, but thankfully Ookami-kun himself is here to enlighten us and tell us that it didn't do anything new so it really doesn't deserve its popularity, for some reason.

But frankly, Eva isn't famous or popular for being well-made and having great characters because there's a lot of anime that's just as good if not better. Ookami's is relatively on point, much of the mindshare that Eva has is because of the perception that it did new things or was a deconstruction. That isn't really true. Ookami is however wrong in that it wasn't the only reason. The other big reason it was popular was because it was one of the few series up until that point to have a really edgy presentation. It was head-turner and it still is because it's unique in that regard.

I'm not really going to get into Anno's directing because that's one helluva a long argument I simply don't have the time for. However, I will say that I don't think he is any better than Tomino.

duckroll

Shouta said:
I'm not really going to get into Anno's directing because that's one helluva a long argument I simply don't have the time for. However, I will say that I don't think he is any better than Tomino.

Wut. Maybe if you said "storyteller" that would sort of make sense, but saying that Anno is not any better than Tomino as a director would require ignoring any sort of actual standards we have with regards to film making techniques. Anno actually understands film and direction, and he demonstrates a very capable application of such skills. Tomino does not. Tomino doesn't even give a shit about his "direction" in general, he is only interested in using whatever medium he can to tell a story.

Tomino is not a good director, and he is not a good writer, but he has really interesting ideas which he enjoys expressing without giving a damn about any preconceived notion of what a movie or series "should" be like. This could be a good or bad thing depending on the intended end result, but honestly Tomino is really better off if he just came up with ideas and let someone who is actually capable of proper film direction to direct his stories.

Boss Doggie

Aigis said:
Has nothing to do with the quality of his direction. There are few TV anime as well-directed as Eva TV is.

You mean as popular as how EVA is directed. I'd list examples but I can expect the reaction.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ookami-kun said:
You mean as popular as how EVA is directed. I'd list examples but I can expect the reaction.
You can't just say something like that and back out.

Jex

Krev said:
As I understand it, his depression was a long-term thing. I'm aware of what he was going through when making Nadia, and how expressing himself through Eva became his way of 'not running away' from his problems or the rest of society (since he felt making anime was one of the only ways he was able to properly communicate with the world around him). He's stated that when he finished Eva he felt completely empty, like there was no more purpose to his life and no reason to go on living, and I recall an anecdote about him retreating to a snow covered island and spending days walking around, sometimes barefoot, in a kind of daze, before he was able to find the motivation to make The End of Evangelion. There was an NHK special from in 1998 where he teaches animation to school kids in his home town, and he shows a lot of signs of depression in that. It's not something that was limited to his time making Nadia.
Of course, depression/not being depressed is hardly a simple thing with on/off states, but from interviews I've read he was actually in therapy at that time and considerably better than when he was making Nadia.

Jex

Shouta said:
But frankly, Eva isn't famous or popular for being well-made and having great characters because there's a lot of anime that's just as good if not better. Ookami's is relatively on point, much of the mindshare that Eva has is because of the perception that it did new things or was a deconstruction.
I don't think that's right either. That's kind of like saying Gundam isn't famous for having Char Aznable and that he isn't a draw for the show. Is it likely that a work endures for 15 years just on the strength of being 'edgy' or a 'deconstruction'? If people can't connect to the work on some level, through characters or something else, I don't see it retaining it's popularity or appeal. That's not the same as saying the characters are 'good', just that they have a clear appear.
Shouta said:
When given full creative and artistic vision, Tomino makes stuff like Garzey's Wing. Writes, directs, storyboards etc. It's a disaster. He isn't really great at cinematography, framing or any of the basics. Just as bad, or perhaps worse, he has zero understanding of pacing and editing. He, literally, can't direct, or write. Somehow he's remained this way for 30 years.

Anno, on other hand, has demonstrated a fine understanding of directing.

Einherjar

Oh man, seeing the picture of Guruguru really reminded me of how much I enjoyed watching it as a kid. I'm gonna guess it didn't age well and spare myself from ruining my memories :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom