• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Age Anime Thread....List them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

onemic said:
I was looking at the OP and of all the animes that were listed, he said Guilty Crown was the best of the bunch. So when everyone in the thread shitted on it, I chalked it up as the whole genre still being shit, when the supposed best one of the year was terrible.

From the link you posted though Monster, Mushi-shi, and Casshern Sins seem pretty interesting, I'll probably get to watching one of those as well as the countless animes posted in this thread.
Don't take anime thread OP's seriously, and to be honest unless you have a lot of exposure with the medium you're better off asking for recommendations in the thread rather than trying to cherry pick comments on one show to gauge the entire season or year of anime. You should at least watch the first episode or 2 of Guilty Crown to decide for yourself. There are certainly much better shows this year and this season though that you could be watching though. Anime isn't dead and there have been plenty of top quality shows in the last five years.

onemic said:
Let me just add that I've never watched Evangelion, I don't even know what it's about, although as a kid I always heard about it non stop and it was kind of annoying. I was too busy watching Escaflowne. Now I hear its the best anime, well, ever. Guess I should start with that then?
Best anime ever? Probably not. It's certainly up there, and is also one of the best mecha shows. Would definitely watch it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Golden Age

Yet most are 90's animu.

While that age is great, I'll show you the true golden age, you newbs!

Kokuto+no+ken+Ost_+%25281%2529.jpg

cartoon-pictures-for-facebook-profile-slam-dunk.jpg

vultus_v.jpg

daimos1.jpg

Cooking_Master_Boy.jpg

8y6ukk.jpg

saintseiya.jpg

Onemic

Instro said:
Best anime ever? Probably not. It's certainly up there, and is also one of the best mecha shows. Would definitely watch it.

On GAF the hard on for evangelion is crazy. It changed the anime medium forever to the point that animes after it were considered post-evangelion. At least that's the vibe I'm getting combing through all the past anime threads.

zeroshiki

onemic said:
On GAF the hard on for evangelion is crazy. It changed the anime medium forever to the point that animes after it were considered post-evangelion. At least that's the vibe I'm getting combing through all the past anime threads.

Not getting into the relative merits of Evangelion but it is indeed true that Evangelion changed anime forever. Its one of the few anime that went totally mainstream and whose characters are still popular to this day, 15 years after original broadcast. Whether you want to argue for the better or for the worse is another matter entirely.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
onemic said:
It's a landmark and an essential watch for anime fans.

Boss Doggie

onemic said:

Which is kinda hilarious, since Evangelion was already done before but hey tweens aren't old enough to watch amazing Zambot 3 or shows that already "deconstructed" stuff Eva did.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Some of my favs that have already been mentioned:

Haibane Renmei:
2wMMe.jpg

Card Captor Sakura
MTcdp.jpg

Revolutionary Girl Utena:
2igjcwh.png

Some others I haven't seen mentioned.

Saikano:
51TKaNSW%2B3L.jpg

Magic Users Club:
ITNHg.jpg

Kodomo No Omacha:
oQzGC.jpg

zeroshiki

Ookami-kun said:
Which is kinda hilarious, since Evangelion was already done before but hey tweens aren't old enough to watch amazing Zambot 3 or shows that already "deconstructed" stuff Eva did.

?

Zambot was in the 70's, Eva is from the 90's. You don't understand why kids in the 90's preferred a 90's show?

Boss Doggie

zeroshiki said:
?

Zambot was in the 70's, Eva is from the 90's. You don't understand why kids in the 90's preferred a 90's show?

Nope, but hailing it as "revolutionary" when it's done eons ago is just funny. That, and the stuff they're supposed to be "deconstructing" rarely happens in the genre they're "deconstructing".

Renmei

Banned

Bastard! Heavy Metal references + old school fantasy + villain protagonist = badass!

It is crazy how well the dog fights hold up even to today's technology.

*points to username*
Haibane Renmei, this anime is a gem.

Riding Bean!

Yes I know this anime is garbage, it is one of the first ones I remember saving my lunch money to buy on vhs and I have fond memories of the dub. Nostalgia glasses in full force!

I'll still pop in a random Ranma 1/2 episode and laugh my ass off.

Onemic

zeroshiki said:
Not getting into the relative merits of Evangelion but it is indeed true that Evangelion changed anime forever. Its one of the few anime that went totally mainstream and whose characters are still popular to this day, 15 years after original broadcast. Whether you want to argue for the better or for the worse is another matter entirely.

Most of the mainstream doesn't know what evangelion is.

Dragonball on the other hand is known by everyone. I would think that the dragonball series would have changed anime forever, not evangelion.

iavi

onemic said:

Dragonball on the other hand is known by everyone. I would think that the dragonball series would have changed anime forever, not evangelion.

That's if you were to say anime only airs in the west.

Onemic

Miri said:
That's if you were to say anime only airs in the west.

Worldwide I'm near 100% positive dragonball was MUCH more popular than evangelion. In Japan sure, but worldwide dragonball was definitely the bigger mainstream anime

zeroshiki

onemic said:

Oh sorry, I forgot that America was the center of the universe. In the real world though, anime is made in Japan and it was insanely popular there so much so as to spawn similar shows. People in their 20's grew up with Evangelion and were influenced by it. Hell, read interviews with people in the industry and in one way or the other they will say Eva influenced them.

The Dragonball manga is also a billion times more popular than the Dragonball anime, if we're going there.

Anteater

Don't know about best, but these are the animes I watched in the 80s/90s, I don't think certain era animes are better or worse, I just don't watch them much now (like video games).

Touch
XuWYW.jpg

Saint Seiya
xvOll.jpg

Maison Ikkoku
tHDzS.jpg

Orange Road
Mtwoh.jpg

Cyber Formula (I only liked Zero)
dAiyo.jpg

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Gigantor/Tetsujin 28 > Giant Robo
Aw hell no!
zeroshiki said:
?

Also, Zambot is Tomino, and he's an awful, awful director.
Ookami-kun said:
Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

Jex

AzureNightmare said:
I just lost all respect for you, Get the fuck out of this thread.
Maybe when Tomino actually learns to um, direct a show. Like, how editing, pacing, etc work. Heck, he can't even write dialogue.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
AzureNightmare said:
Err doesn't pretty much every Tomino fan agree that he's a shitty director? it's like how star wars fans agree universally that george lucas is a shitty writer and director.:)

Nope, but hailing it as "revolutionary" when it's done eons ago is just funny. That, and the stuff they're supposed to be "deconstructing" rarely happens in the genre they're "deconstructing".
Execution > Premise.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Err doesn't pretty much every Tomino fan agree that he's a shitty director? it's like how star wars fans agree universally that george lucas is a shitty writer and director.:)
I mean, I have no problem with people saying they like his stuff. That's fine, but he is a bad director and writer and editor and storyboarder...

Boss Doggie

Jexhius said:
Aw hell no!

Also, Zambot is Tomino, and he's an awful, awful director.

Excuse me while I roll my eyes.

Because you know, all of Tomino's works are the same! FYI he's only partially involved in Zambot 3.

And please roll your eyes over there. I don't want to see some eyeball fluids ruining the pathway.

Lafiel said:
Execution > Premise.
zeroshiki said:
But Zambot is older! Ergo, it must be better!

Because clearly Zambot is poorly executed! My oh my.

And yes, the age thing does matter because the main "praise" Eva gets is that "it does it first".

Jexhius said:
I mean, I have no problem with people saying they like his stuff. That's fine, but he is a bad director and writer and editor and storyboarder...

Who said I enjoy Tomino's stuff? There's a reason the Tomino works I enjoy were primarily not made by him fully (others include Voltes V and Daitarn 3).

Teenagers these days.

Suairyu

Banned
Oh god I miss old animé. Not that there aren't great examples of modern animé (hello, Monster!) but I think it certainly lost something with the shift to the digital age. I adore the muted colours and grain you get with traditional cel animation of the era. Animé was always bright and colourful, but with the shift to digital it became ridiculous. Also can't stand all the post-processing effects. 2D animation with goddamn bloom lighting? How does that work? Whyyy?

However, the real question this thread brings to the fore is does Duckroll watch Kite and Mezzo Forte with or without the sex scenes?

icarus-daedelus said:
Has anyone posted Angel's Egg? lol, of course not. What a silly question.

Anyway, it would be my favorite animu if one or two other things didn't exist, and it's from 1985 - so old that Studio DEEN made it before they started sucking.

Visual design by Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy art guy...the good one who does the logos) and direction by Mamoru Oshii (he of Ghost in the Shell, Patlabor.)
This film certainly is beautiful, but I don't think it's that great as a film. I'm no stranger to weird, 'out there' experiences but this one just left me feeling unsatisfied and wanting.

Felt more like a technical showpiece for the talent involved rather than a complete product.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Ookami-kun said:
Because you know, all of Tomino's works are the same! FYI he's only partially involved in Zambot 3.
Only director and co-creator. Nothing too major.

Fusebox

Banned
Golden Age, and them starts with Champloo?

Anyway, my golden age animes are more like:

Porco Rosso
Battle angel Alita
Fist of the north star
Starblazers
Macross

zeroshiki

Ookami-kun said:
Because clearly Zambot is poorly executed! My oh my.

And yes, the age thing does matter because the main "praise" Eva gets is that "it does it first".

I don't even know who you're arguing against. Where are these people?

If you don't understand why Eva is popular and not Zambot for some reason then I don't know what to say to you.

cajunator

Banned
DrForester said:
Some of my favs that have already been mentioned:

Haibane Renmei:
2wMMe.jpg

Card Captor Sakura
MTcdp.jpg

Revolutionary Girl Utena:
2igjcwh.png

Some others I haven't seen mentioned.

Saikano:
51TKaNSW%2B3L.jpg

Magic Users Club:
ITNHg.jpg

Kodomo No Omacha:
oQzGC.jpg

This list is absolute perfection, but I would also add Kino's Journey, Now and then Here or There, and Twelve Kingdoms.

CiSTM

Banned
In no order:

Slam Dunk!
Kimagure Orange Road
Maison Ikkoku
Urusei Yatsura (takes time to get into it but it's worth it)
City Hunter
Galaxy Express 999
Captain Harlock
Touch
H2
Area 88
Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
Bubblegum Crisis
Armored Trooper Votoms
Lupin III
GTO
BECK
Hajime No Ippo
Samurai Champloo
Monster

edit. There was also this epic space opera anime based on some novel series but can't remember the name. Galactic something IIRC.

Reknoc

A good few mentions of Macross. You are good people, but I feel you're all talking about the series. Which is cool an'all but you gotta ask yourself one question

Lj5D4.jpg

Do You Remember Love?

(oh and let's be honest here; Macross 7 is the best Macross)

Boss Doggie

Krev said:
Only director and co-creator. Nothing too major.

Co-creator. Just co. Still not that too major. Only thing they can credit to him is the "let's kill 'em all!" but at least the show was smart enough to do the "how kids would actually be like when piloting a mecha".

zeroshiki said:
I don't even know who you're arguing against. Where are these people?

If you don't understand why Eva is popular and not Zambot for some reason then I don't know what to say to you.

...I think you're the one missing out my gripe. I'm not arguing EVA isn't popular, I'm just saying that it really didn't do much and that the show isn't something special.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Evangelion is very special in what it tried to do. The problem is that people who don't know the history of mecha anime praise it for the wrong things.
CiSTM said:
edit. There was also this epic space opera anime based on some novel series but can't remember the name. Galactic something IIRC.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Wazzim

Banned
Krev said:
It's a landmark and an essential watch for anime fans.
never watched it (don't even know what it is about) and am doing fine but that's probably because I mostly watch older anime only. With the exception of the new Gundams and things like Haruhi and Clannad.
What is so special about it? I might watch it someday.

Sad that I'm the only one who posted Initial D :|

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wazzim said:
never watched it (don't even know what it is about) and am doing fine but that's probably because I mostly watch older anime only. With the exception of the new Gundams and things like Haruhi and Clannad.
What is so special about it? I might watch it someday.
It's a monster-of-the-week mecha vs aliens series that draws upon 70s stuff like Getter Robo, Ideon and Devilman. It has a veneer of 'complexity' because it deals with shadowy inscrutable conspiracies and has lots of showy symbols. It's also characterised by angst and character introspection, handled in very arty ways. The first half is sometimes very comedic and full of fanservice, and the second becomes very weird and overtly, bluntly philosophical. The director was going through depression as he was working on it, and his attempts at expressing his feelings at times overcome the narrative. I think his directorial style has been very influential for modern anime.
It's a very strange work and very love-it-or-hate-it (I'm firmly in the former category).
Since it really shook things up the anime scene from the early 90s and shaped the fan culture, anyone who wants to fully 'get' anime should check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom