• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Age Anime Thread....List them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Boat

Some more:
FLCL
Flcl.jpg

Rurouni Kenshin
big-rurouni-kenshin-ost-3-kyoto-kessen.jpg

Hunter X Hunter
070105_box_hunter01.jpg

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Any love for Lupin? I'm not into a lot of anime but I discovered it as Castle of Cagliostro at a StarCon. Good stuff!

Lupin+The+3rd+lupin__.jpg

onemic said:
I wrote anime off as dead before the guilty crown post, I just wanted to know about the current status of the industry and based on the replies I got, it hasn't changed. That link you posted wasn't among the replies I got form the anime thread, so of course I was going to continue thinking the genre dead.(and lets be real here, it pretty much is compared to how it was back in the day)

Thanks for the link though, I'll check some of those shows out.

Your question specifically asked "Is Guilty Crown actually good?", not "Is there actually good recent anime?" So it's no wonder you got the responses you did! (I suppose you had already given up on the thread by the time I offered to give recommendations.) I still don't understand why you were specifically interested in Guilty Crown, given that it's from the director of Highschool of the Dead and the writer of Code Geass and was clearly aiming to be a trashy cliche mashup from the start.

There have certainly been better years for anime than 2011, but there have been some excellent anime well worth watching (besides Usagi Drop, you've got Wandering Son, Kaiji season 2, Mawaru Penguin Drum, and the new season of Gintama for starters). Closing yourself off to the new is no better than closing yourself off to the old. Making a thread that's basically "Let's all list anime from all time - except the last 5 years because obviously nothing good has come out in that timeframe" is dumb.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
hosannainexcelsis said:
Your question specifically asked "Is Guilty Crown actually good?", not "Is there actually good recent anime?" So it's no wonder you got the responses you did! (I suppose you had already given up on the thread by the time I offered to give recommendations.) I still don't understand why you were specifically interested in Guilty Crown, given that it's from the director of Highschool of the Dead and the writer of Code Geass and was clearly aiming to be a trashy cliche mashup from the start.
I think he took the 'anime saving potential' in Dresden's OP seriously.
icarus-daedelus said:
I have not even seen Macross or Nadesico
You should!

Imbarkus said:
Any love for Lupin? I'm not into a lot of anime but I discovered it as Castle of Cagliostro at a StarCon. Good stuff!

Lupin+The+3rd+lupin__.jpg
There is a lot of love for Lupin, and a huge amount of love for Studio Ghibli (the studio that produced the movie, and has brought out a lot of great movies), although I think most people here are referring to series instead of movies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Prophet Steve said:
There is a lot of love for Lupin, and a huge amount of love for Studio Ghibli (the studio that produced the movie, and has brought out a lot of great movies), although I think most people here are referring to series instead of movies.
Miyazaki directed Cagliostro, but he didn't found Studio Ghibli until six years later.

Krev said:
Miyazaki directed Cagliostro, but he didn't found Studio Ghibli until six years later.
Oh yeah, forgotten about that. Thank you for correcting me.

Many of the Ghibli movies are however in the same style (no wonder), so he should still look into their movies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Prophet Steve said:
Oh yeah, forgotten about that. Thank you for correcting me.

Many of the Ghibli movies are however in the same style (no wonder), so he should still look into their movies.
Yeah, for sure.
Also, any fan of Miyazaki should check out Future Boy Conan, a TV series he directed from 1978.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
The period of anime you posted is basically every anime ever. May as well be "Anime Thread, List them!". I can link you to my MAL profile if you want...

Instead I'm going to go against the flow and list some great recent shows from the 00s, because anime is not dead (I agree it's not in its best shape though)

Bakemonogatari
xxxHoLiC
Madoka Magica
Last Exile
Panty & Stocking
Eureka Seven
Code Geass
Arakawa Under the Bridge
FMA Brotherhood
Gurren Lagann
K-On!

Prax

SLAYERS!

slayers_tv.jpg
slayers_next.jpg
slayers_try.jpg
slayers_evoliton-r.jpg

May favourite seasn was probably Slayers Next.
The new seasons, Slayers Revolution wasn't very good since Pakota was such a huge focus, but the second half, Evolution-R seemed to get into the original Slayers groove.

I want them to come out with more... *sigh*

Angry Fork

Is Dragon Ball worth watching or should I just go to Dragon Ball Z? Do the events in DBZ have more meaning if you've seen Goku grow up in DB?

Also between the following series which should I watch first:

Excel Saga
Berserk
Code Geass
Rurouni Kenshin
Serial Experiments Lain

Takao

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Is Dragon Ball worth watching or should I just go to Dragon Ball Z? Do the events in DBZ have more meaning if you've seen Goku grow up in DB?

Yes Dragon Ball is worth watching, and yes it will impact the events in Z greater than going straight into Z.

Risette

A Good Citizen
DKnight said:
The period of anime you posted is basically every anime ever. May as well be "Anime Thread, List them!". I can link you to my MAL profile if you want...

Instead I'm going to go against the flow and list some great recent shows from the 00s, because anime is not dead (I agree it's not in its best shape though)

Bakemonogatari
xxxHoLiC
Madoka Magica
Last Exile
Panty & Stocking
Eureka Seven
Code Geass
Arakawa Under the Bridge
FMA Brotherhood
Gurren Lagann
K-On!
Why are you trying to troll the OP into watching bad SHAFT shows if his faith in anime is already diminished? Cruel.

Aigis said:
Why are you trying to troll the OP into watching bad SHAFT shows if his faith in anime is already diminished? Cruel.

nothing against Arakawa, please.

great manga, great anime, great live-action drama!

survivor

Banned
Angry Fork said:

Excel Saga
Berserk
Code Geass
Rurouni Kenshin
Serial Experiments Lain
I'm gonna be honest even though I don't like Code Geass that much I still recommend that you watch it. It's an experience that everyone needs to have.

Onemic

hosannainexcelsis said:

There have certainly been better years for anime than 2011, but there have been some excellent anime well worth watching (besides Usagi Drop, you've got Wandering Son, Kaiji season 2, Mawaru Penguin Drum, and the new season of Gintama for starters). Closing yourself off to the new is no better than closing yourself off to the old. Making a thread that's basically "Let's all list anime from all time - except the last 5 years because obviously nothing good has come out in that timeframe" is dumb.

I was looking at the OP and of all the animes that were listed, he said Guilty Crown was the best of the bunch. So when everyone in the thread shitted on it, I chalked it up as the whole genre still being shit, when the supposed best one of the year was terrible.

From the link you posted though Monster, Mushi-shi, and Casshern Sins seem pretty interesting, I'll probably get to watching one of those as well as the countless animes posted in this thread.

onemic said:
I was looking at the OP and of all the animes that were listed, he said Guilty Crown was the best of the bunch. So when everyone in the thread shitted on it, I chalked it up as the whole genre still being shit, when the supposed best one of the year was terrible.

From the link you posted though Monster, Mushi-shi, and Casshern Sins seem pretty interesting, I'll probably get to watching one of those as well as the countless animes posted in this thread.
No one seriously expected Guilty Crown to be the best of the year. If you stick around the Anime thread long enough you'll learn that most of us are cynical sarcastic bastards who enjoy taking the piss out of each other.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Angry Fork said:

Excel Saga
Berserk
Code Geass
Rurouni Kenshin
Serial Experiments Lain
The correct answer. Get ready to read the manga too, as you will definetly want more than just the Golden Age arc. I don't want to hype it too much for you but this is one of the best manga out there and noone should miss it, get ready for some really explicit gore and sex though (the anime is milder)

PS: Dragon Ball is way better than DBZ

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
I love Nadia. If you're going to watch it you should be advised that the show goes through a sudden, dramatic dip in quality with a 12 episode filler arc handled by a different director, before picking back up again at the end. You can safely skip most of it.

EDIT:
icarus-daedelus said:
In the interest of fairness I feel like I should warn people that there are large parts of Nadia and Kare Kano (His & Her Circumstances) that are un-good. The rest is golden, though.
In both shows, it's when Hideaki Anno is replaced (sadly, permanently in the case of Kare Kano).

ShirAhava said:
Iria: Zeiram the Animation
qvEuF.png

You have no idea how much nostalgia you unleashed upon me.

Back when I was around 7-9 years old, my city cable provider had just obtained the Sci-fi Channel. It was summer during this time and was enjoying the opportunity to stay up as late as I like. It was an awesome night as well. The Sci-fi channel had just finished a late night broadcast of Army of Darkness, and I was loving it. The movie wrapped up at 3:00 A.M., but my night wasn't over.

There was a soundbite after the movie announcing "Anime Saturday" (Though it was technically Sunday at this time). I was wondering what was up? They then proceeded to play at least one volume of the Iria OVA series, and I was absolutely blown away. It was unlike anything I had ever seen at the time. It was a carton, but it looked really unique, and there was a lot of blood, violence and Zeiram itself was really creepy and cool. After that, I made a direct effort to stay up and watch Saturday anime every time it rolled around. And that is the story of how I became an anime fan.

NewFresh

icarus-daedelus said:
So because no one cares about Midori, Belladonna, or Angel's Egg, I thought I'd picspam this thread with something mentioned earlier, but not loudly enough, in my opinion.

I care!

Also, I can't believe you listed belladonna and not Cleopatra! It had green Caesar!

Momo

Banned
Aigis said:
Bakemonogatari is not bad.
You have bad taste and should feel bad.

Onemic

Let me just add that I've never watched Evangelion, I don't even know what it's about, although as a kid I always heard about it non stop and it was kind of annoying. I was too busy watching Escaflowne. Now I hear its the best anime, well, ever. Guess I should start with that then?

Finaika

onemic said:
Let me just add that I've never watched Evangelion, I don't even know what it's about, although as a kid I always heard about it non stop and it was kind of annoying. I was too busy watching Escaflowne. Now I hear its the best anime, well, ever. Guess I should start with that then?
Escaflowne is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom