• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun [Appreciation Thread]: Remembering a Game Boy Advance legend! #GoldenSunday

AzmSFAz.jpg

Credit to AwayToHit from reddit for this image. These maps were included with these RPG games.

PROLOGUE

Thus, Adepts, your adventure begins!

WHAT IS GOLDEN SUN?

Golden Sun is a two part Game Boy Advance classic developed by Camelot Software Planning, the developers of classics such as Shining Force 1-3 games for Sega, Everybody's Golf for Playstation, and the Mario Tennis/Golf series for Nintendo. Take it away, Ryrule:

Golden Sun's dungeons held the substance of a Zelda game. The physic elemental powers your party of characters learn throughout the journey could be used in battle... and OUTSIDE of battle. Those powers, called Psynergy, can move and lift boulders, boxes, read the minds of NPCs, freeze a puddle into a platform, burrow oneself underground, and much more. Psynergy was key to solving the games' various riddles/challenges/puzzles. The games also sported some maze designs in the dungeons. The games have random turn-based battles that are prevalent in maze areas, but non-existent in puzzle areas. Their's a good balance between battle and field activity. The battles themselves are very fast paced and you can use Psynergy, basic attacks with various weapons (sword/axe/mace/lance/rods/knives/etc), and you can summon massive spirits, like in Final Fantasy, to dish massive damage on your foes. The key to summoning is linked to Golden Sun's biggest, most stand-out, feature in its battle system:

THE DJINN

ymjEWyc.jpg

Credit: mekranil from reddit

Ryrule's video goes over the functions of the djinn, elemental creatures scattered through-out the world of Weyard, but let's talk about it a bit. These creatures are key to battle. You must find these creatures throughout the world, capture them, and install their powers into a party member of your choice. Capturing a djinn can involve simply battling and defeating them, or solving a puzzle on the field and using your psynergy to basically trap them into submission. Installing a djinn's power into a character can affect their stats, their psynergy powers (djinn can grant new powers/magic to characters), and their class! In battle, Djinn have both active and inactive states. When they are active on your character, your character enjoys stat buffs, stronger variations of different psynergy, and a higher Class (example: Lord). You can use djinn in battle by unleashing them with their own unique abilities. When a djinn is used, they enter an inactive state. They cannot be active again until you summon them as an elemental spirit. If you leave up to, for example, four djinn in an inactive state, you can summon a MASSIVE level four spirit like Judgement to hail above the world a rain of earthly destruction.

When you use a djinn and it enters an inactive stat, you suffer stat debuffs, lose certain psynergy magic, and even drop in classes(Lord>Gallant>Squire example). Depending on how you arrange your djinn to your party members, you can actively change classes DURING battle and completely re-arrange your array of psynergy powers for your disposal.

PSYNERGY SUMMONS & UNLEASHES

You can also use various psynergy on the field, outside of battle, such as the move "cloak" which renders you invisible in shadows. You use this power for some stealth game-play during a certain optional dungeon.

DAT MUSIC

Composed by Motoi Sakuraba (Dark Souls, Star Ocean, Baten Kaitos, etc). One of Game Boy Advance's biggest audio triumph's.

BEHOLD!

Fan Bonus:

Amazing remix of the popular Venus Lighthouse theme. Reader, feel free to sprinkle the thread with more musical delights (fan remixes or direct rips) from the games. There are no shortages here. :D

RECEPTION

Sales wise, here are the numbers compiled by former gaffer, Celine: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nint...dware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.963700/

Golden Sun: 1.65 million WW LTD
Golden Sun the Lost Age: 1.12 million WW LTD

Note that Fire Emblem had five games release before Fire Emblem Awakening on 3DS. None of them sold a million WW, and its DS game, Shadow Dragon, bombed hard (had it's price slashed as low as ten bucks). Further note that Golden Sun sold better than a lot of represented character franchises in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's current roster. My only guess why Golden Sun's main character, Isaac, is not playable in those games is perhaps timing. Well that and Sakurai bias, because I mean, there's 7 Fire Emblem characters in Smash Ultimate. Like, c'mon. lol

Anyway, Golden Sun Dark Dawn came out on the Nintendo DS eight years after Golden Sun the Lost Age's release on the GBA. That game under-performed. Unfortunately, I don't know the figures, other than being under a million. The price for the game got slashed at Game Stop so I believe it did indeed under-perform. But if Fire Emblem can rebound, so can Golden Sun. The problem moving forward for this series remains Nintendo/Camelot.

Reviews:

Metacritic: 91
Gamerankings: 89

Sites like IGN gave Golden Sun a 9.7/10 back in 2001. Needless to say, Golden Sun came with a HOWL when it launched on the Game Boy Advance around the 2001 holidays. GBA's audience comprised of many young children at the time. That includes myself. Golden Sun had very strong word of mouth in my school, and I imagine this was true around North America. The games did very well in an age that predates social media, DLC, and e-shops.

EPILOGUE FROM YOURS TRULY

Golden Sun was a huge deal for me growing up. I played the game in 2002, and developed a lot of my reading skills and vocabulary during this time. Needless to say, I have a VERY strong sense of nostalgia for Golden Sun. Game just captivated me with it's stunning visuals and music coming out of my little Game Boy Advance, and I really enjoyed the characters and the story. The world of alchemy, the elements, the mysteries this Weyard world had at large, I loved it. Isaac, the main character of this story, was my gateway into this world. His mute voice was no different to me as it is with Link from the Zelda series. I couldn't believe how the original Golden Sun 'ended' and became obsessed with reading fanfiction for it. More, more more! I read so much, until Golden Sun The Lost Age, my most anticipated game ever, finally came out in 2003.

I've been saddened in recent days. A shimmer of hope shined that Isaac from Golden Sun would be playable in the upcoming Smash Bros. Ultimate. The Grinch Leak particularly being the brightest of that dream. My mind raced with excitement over how Isaac could fight without the constraints of the GBA hardware.

This is Isaac in a nutshell:

Funny enough, Avatar the Last Airbender aired on Nickelodeon television a couple years after Golden Sun. Avatar's nations reminded me so much of Golden Sun's adept clans, Venus (earth), Mars (fire), Jupiter (wind/air), and Mercury (water). Indeed, Isaac is basically an earthbender and then some (he can do so much more).

Anyway, the Grinch leak was fake, and Isaac returned to Smash Bros... as an assist trophy. He was an AT in Smash Bros Brawl, and then completely cut from Smash 4 for unknown reasons. It's disappointing because the character and his series has established prior success, has strong nostalgia with fans, and could bring something very cool and unique to the game, plus carve a potential future for the Golden Sun IP. Unfortunately, the fans' voices only merited an updated assist trophy. Additional remix tracks for the game remain unknown at this time, but is unlikely. Last hope is Nintendo pushes for a Golden Sun rep for Smash Ult DLC. The odds appear low, but the fans fight on regardless. Today is #GoldenSunday and so I've decided to create this appreciation thread on behalf of the Golden Sun fan community as a reminder of this awesome Role-Playing experience for myself, and maybe, for some of you still lurking neogaf today.

So... do you remember Golden Sun? Grew up with it? First RPG? Played when it was new? Played it recently?

Please feel free to share YOUR Golden Sun experience!

Additional hashtags: #GoldenSun #Isaac4Smash #UpgradeAssists #黄金の太陽

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Only had the first one, was super dissapointed that it stopped half way in the game for a second part even while the game was really expensive. Never played the second part because of it.

But boy oh boy that game was something else. So much content, so well worked out. All those secrets to be found. Loved it in every way.

It's kinda amazing how this game hasn't been remade.

It's kinda amazing how this game hasn't been remade.

I know right! I wouldn't mind a remake done with high quality sprites mixed with a strong lighting engine similar to the way Octopath Traveler was done on the Switch. The difference being that a Golden Sun remake would push more of what Camelot specializes in, with their own battle camera angles and over the top special effects. A higher budget mix of new and old, with classic top-down RPG gameplay with Zelda-like dungeons. A remake could solve some of the original's problems too like the lengthy chit-chats, no fast travel, and the low difficulty.

Yes, I would love to see a Golden Sun remake on Nintendo Switch.

Two of my favorite games. So many hours put into them, especially the lost age. The story blew 10 year old me away. Loved the combat, music, graphics, story, world building. Everything. One of the greats.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
The best non-port RPG on the GBA (except for maybe M&L). I played Shining Force II a lot as a kid and so Golden Sun felt like an unofficial sequel to that series.

The Lost Age definitely was one of the most awesome RPGs on GBA.

Coming from text MUDs with proc'ing weapons, I immediately fell in love when I saw all those swords/weapons with effects on strike. That combined with all the other awesomeness (abilities in the overworld to get across certain obstructions) was just amazing.

Ryrule released a new video talking about Golden Sun today:

Some interesting points made there. I liked the Nintendo World New York shop reaction to the Isaac Smash AT reveal shown. lol I'm happy to have him in the game in some form, at the least though. Hopefully one day he can go further up that ladder to playable status.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Sorry to be that guy, but I think this is the kind of game that you only enjoyed if you were like 10 when you first played it and/or you were a “Nintendo only” household (and thus missed out on all the true JRPG classics on PSX). If this game released on PSX in 1999 barely anybody would even remember it.

It’s very much the spiritual successor to Beyond the Beyond, another of Camelot’s “classics”. In terms of gameplay, story, and the fact that it only gained attention by being the first JRPG exclusive on a new system. It even does the exact same “dude is missing presumed dead, and on a totally unrelated note, who’s this mysterious masked bad guy who just showed up out of nowhere?” plot device.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I used to work near this tobacconist in the city years ago. The owner looked like the soup nazi from Seinfeld and looked just as grumpy.

Then one day as I went in to get my smokes, I noticed the familiar tinny sound of video game music coming from behind the counter. So, I leaned over and asked what’s the deal. Turns out ol’ soup nazi was a mad gamer and was playing Golden Sun. I never in a million years would have guessed he was a gamer.

Once we realised our mutual passion for games, he gave me a 20 minute schooling on the awesomness that is Golden Sun and how much he loved it. Made me late for work lol.

After that, I used to go in on my lunch breaks/before work/after work and have Advance Wars download play sessions with him on DS. Good times. He was a top bloke.

Games bringing people together, but I still haven’t played Golden Sun. Always meant to.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had the GBA games many years ago. I use to get them used at EB Games and they were a ton of fun. I got the eShop games on Wii U when they came out. Which is awesome to have on the gamepad. I remember finishing the DS game and it was super easy to max level all the characters. Dark Dawn was enjoyable. I remember anticipating it to come out.

It's a very charming game. The animations during battle were enjoyable to watch. Another game that came to mind was Beyond the Beyond. Not as good, but it didn't have to be. That type of art style and the way the characters appear during the battle screen is enjoyable for handhelds. It's definitely an RPG that has a lot of feel good moments and that comes from how the game is designed. It's also very easy to get into and enjoy.

Sorry to be that guy, but I think this is the kind of game that you only enjoyed if you were like 10 when you first played it and/or you were a “Nintendo only” household (and thus missed out on all the true JRPG classics on PSX). If this game released on PSX in 1999 barely anybody would even remember it.

It’s very much the spiritual successor to Beyond the Beyond, another of Camelot’s “classics”. In terms of gameplay, story, and the fact that it only gained attention by being the first JRPG exclusive on a new system. It even does the exact same “dude is missing presumed dead, and on a totally unrelated note, who’s this mysterious masked bad guy who just showed up out of nowhere?” plot device.

Thanks for your take.

Reminds me that Golden Sun was originally being planned for the N64. It would've been at the tail end of that systems life, so they decided to try and launch it alongside the GBA instead. Makes me wonder what would've happened if Dark Dawn was pushed from the DS's tail end to the 3DS instead, and was a first year showcase for the 3D screen. We'd probably have had a Golden Sun 4 today. :(

Anyway, on Beyond the Beyond, Casp made an interesting video about that game, and had a Golden Sun video follow-up:

I never played Beyond the Beyond, but it sounds like it was the stepping stone to Golden Sun, like how the mistakes of the Wii U made the Switch possible, or how the problems with Super Mario Sunshine lead to the creation of Super Mario Galaxy (The dev team cited that Galaxy wouldn't have been possible without the experience of working on Sunshine.)

We still have to fight Alex, god dammit.

Oh man, tell me about it! Will this event ever take place!? This encounter has been put on hold for many years yo! I hope when it finally happens (please Nintendo/Camelot) it turns out a huge, hard, and fun challenge.

Last edited:

Grimmrobe

Utterly generic mediocre RPGs. I don't think they deserve an appreciation thread, but if you enjoyed them, don't mind me and carry on. I just thought someone had to chime in and say this.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Utterly generic mediocre RPGs. I don't think they deserve an appreciation thread, but if you enjoyed them, don't mind me and carry on. I just thought someone had to chime in and say this.
Yes I also go into threads for no good reason only to say "I DON'T LIKE THING I WAS NEVER INTERESTED IN TO BEGIN WITH" for attention.

Grimmrobe

Yes I also go into threads for no good reason only to say "I DON'T LIKE THING I WAS NEVER INTERESTED IN TO BEGIN WITH" for attention.

I like JRPGs. This is just a mediocre series of no particular merit, and this opinion deserves to be aired in a thread about the series. Keep the butthurt to yourself, thanks. I am not butthurt that some people love the series, so there is no reason for you to be butthurt that some people don't.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Keep the butthurt to yourself, thanks. I am not butthurt that some people love the series, so there is no reason for you to be butthurt that some people don't.
I dunno it seems like you are, otherwise why bother showing up? People just wanted to have a nice thread about a game but you just had to show up to start shit. No better than a gamefaq/4chan user.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimmrobe

I dunno it seems like you are. Otherwise why bother showing up? People just wanted to have a nice thread about a game but no people like you just had to show up to start shit. No better than a gamefaq/4chan user.

Buddy gamefaqs and 4chan have posters 100x more mature than you, if the best you have to contribute is some whining over someone's not liking something.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Buddy gamefaqs and 4chan have posters 100x more mature than you, if the best you have to contribute is some whining over someone's not liking something.
As if you have any room to talk with "LOL BUTTHURT" as your counterargument.

Top Bottom