• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Circle T said:
If you really want to take it up a notch, learn to stop the ball on the face of your wedge while bouncing it, then start bouncing it again, and THEN smack it out of the air. :D
Damn...I'll have to see if I can mix some stops in there as well!

...man, I want to be at the range right now...

RubxQub

CajoleJuice said:
You want to be at the RANGE? I want to be on the course.
I don't have enough people who want to play as often as I do, unfortunately. I find it easier to go to the range and not feel awkward being alone.

Much prefer playing the course of course!

I have another tournament on Tuesday (August 10th) I really enjoy the scramble format because it allows for someone like me who is new, to help the team and get some fulfillment out of my game right now.

RubxQub said:
I don't have enough people who want to play as often as I do, unfortunately. I find it easier to go to the range and not feel awkward being alone.

Much prefer playing the course of course!
Ah, that's understandable. I've gotten over it. I just go alone if need be and I'm always paired up with someone or three.

RubxQub

CajoleJuice said:
Ah, that's understandable. I've gotten over it. I just go alone if need be and I'm always paired up with someone or three.
A solo joined our group of 3 the first time I ever played on a course. Dude's name was Trip and he was a near scratch golfer...and totally cool as hell. Gave us good pointers without being overpreachy, totally laid back...so cool.

...but then I've seen "King Douche" who was a solo that put with some other people and I could only feel bad for the people this guy was put with. Dude was freaking out as we strolled up to 10 because he needed us to go immediately and wouldn't listen to reason about us letting him play through...since he was clearly in a rush and played the first 9 alone (we were playing at Chisel Creek which is very remote, not many people playing). It was crazy.

Seems like most golfers are very cool people, but my GOD...King Douche!

RubxQub said:
A solo joined our group of 3 the first time I ever played on a course. Dude's name was Trip and he was a near scratch golfer...and totally cool as hell. Gave us good pointers without being overpreachy, totally laid back...so cool.

...but then I've seen "King Douche" who was a solo that put with some other people and I could only feel bad for the people this guy was put with. Dude was freaking out as we strolled up to 10 because he needed us to go immediately and wouldn't listen to reason about us letting him play through...since he was clearly in a rush and played the first 9 alone (we were playing at Chisel Creek which is very remote, not many people playing). It was crazy.

Seems like most golfers are very cool people, but my GOD...King Douche!
Yep, this is why I don't mind going by myself (and I hope people think the same with me). I haven't come across King Douche yet, but I did come across a pretty interesting guy (smoked a blunt on the course, and also talked about going to Amsterdam to "fuck a teenager" -- he was in his 50s). But he was damn good and gave me some helpful tips.

RubxQub

Coursing it up today.

Going to play a 3 person scramble with some friends (because I'm pretty sure this is the only way I could convince them to come out with me).

If the range yesterday was any indication, I should be doing damn well with my driver, pretty well with my long irons, and pretty awesome with my short irons.

My drives yesterday were carrying like 260 and rolling probably to 280-300 so I'm super pumped to see if I can do this out there today. Feels so good when you make that perfect contact, hear that awesome sound, and watch that awesome ball flight.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Just finished a round of 18, ended up with a 110. Started out okay, and figured I had a good shot at breaking 100, but had a handful of bad holes because of drives going OOB and sub-sequentially hitting bad approach shots trying to recover. Nothing more infuriating than starting a round driving well and then losing it sometime later.

On the positive side, I got up and down from the sand each time I was in a bunker, and putted pretty well - a few 3 putts, but mostly 2 putts and a handful of 1 putts. I would've easily gotten in the low 90s if I could just keep the drives on the fairway today and eliminated the few 3 putts I had. Back to the range I guess!

RubxQub

Had a nice scramble with a couple friends on Sunday and man oh man was it great.

- Fun course
- Cute beer girls
- No pressure scramble
- Amazing weather
- Good pace

...could not have asked for a better day of golfing.

Front 9 was a bit of getting into the swing of things and ended with a +7
Back 9 was much smoother and we really only choked on the last 2 holes to give us a +2

So +9 on the day for a three person scramble. I know we could get even, we were doing so well on the back 9 that I know we've got it in us.

766fd938.jpg

c7036e40.jpg

Golfshot is an amazing app if you can get it. The distances at the teebox are always off by a good margin, and I love knowing what ranges I either need to lay up to or get over. Really makes a difference.

LOVE THIS GAME AAAAAHHHHHHHHH

RubxQub

CajoleJuice said:
I meant to make a post yesterday

FUCK THIS GAME AAARGGGHHHHH
Noooooooo!!!!

Bad round I take it? :(

RubxQub said:
Noooooooo!!!!

Bad round I take it? :(
Yeah. :(

I was only able to get in 9 holes, but it was my worst 9 holes in a couple of months. It made me feel like I hadn't improved at all this summer. But I know that my driving (using that 1-hybrid) is so much better. I know my putting has suffered a bit due to getting accustomed to a new putter recently and that it's going to get better. I know that I'm not totally flubbing or shanking shots as often.

I just had a really unlucky 9 holes. And it was made more frustrating due to the fact that I parred the first hole with probably the longest putt I've ever holed.

RubxQub

Bah...it can be a mean girl, that's for sure. Long putts feel just as good or better than amazing drives, so I could totally see how that'd get you up really high at the start.

As they say in those mental golf books, focus on the positives and forget the negatives and you'll become the golfer you want to be, and not be the golfer you're afraid to become.

All in the past! Next time out you'll rock it because of all those little improvements you're talking about.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Bought a spoon finally! Since I'm hitting my Adams hybrid so well, I went with another Adams classic, the 4060 in 14.5* with a Aldila NV85 stiff shaft. Bought it from BSG's ebay for $99, so somewhat of a bargain considering they sell it head only for $150 from their webshop (can't really figure out the reasoning there).

RubxQub

Recently traded in a bunch of clubs and got a new fairway wood myself.

Went with a Callaway Diablo Edge 3W. The sound is to die for, which to me is a huge confidence thing. When you get up to the ball and crack it with that club you just feel like you're going to pull off a great shot.

Need to pick me up a 3 hybrid and a lob wedge and I'll be happy with my set.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
RubxQub said:
Recently traded in a bunch of clubs and got a new fairway wood myself.

Went with a Callaway Diablo Edge 3W. The sound is to die for, which to me is a huge confidence thing. When you get up to the ball and crack it with that club you just feel like you're going to pull off a great shot.

Need to pick me up a 3 hybrid and a lob wedge and I'll be happy with my set.

I tried the Edge Tour at the range a few weeks ago, but I couldn't really get over the shaft. The club head felt pretty good though, but it felt too large overall.
Will see if I have to reshaft the fw wood

I'm so happy with my 3 hybrid now. I had it reshafted and it's a totally different club! Before, I hit maybe 3 good shots out of 10, and had zero confidence in the thing. Now it's just automatic!
My lob wedge, not so much! I hardly ever use it anymore since I got a new sandwedge. Which incidentally traded for the shaft I pulled out of the hybrid! But I'll probably take it out of the bag.

Now I just need a new set of irons, and I'll be happy with my bag! Too bad I'm going back to school and won't be able to afford a new set for the next 2 years :'(

RubxQub

I definitely haven't played long enough to recognize a big difference in shafts, and the clubs I'm swinging are all still of the "massive game improvement" variety, so I could understand our tastes being a bit different.

In time hopefully I can learn to appreciate custom shafts and whatnot.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
RubxQub said:
I definitely haven't played long enough to recognize a big difference in shafts, and the clubs I'm swinging are all still of the "massive game improvement" variety, so I could understand our tastes being a bit different.

In time hopefully I can learn to appreciate custom shafts and whatnot.

It will come, and with it an increase in spending like you wouldn't believe! :D

The shaft can make a huge difference in a club!

Circle T

Keen said:
The shaft can make a huge difference in a club!
I agree. The shaft is about 80% of a club. You can have the latest and greatest driver head (or whatever), but if you have the wrong shaft in the club for your swing, it isn't really helping. With so many different bend profiles, kick points, and flex ratings, it can be daunting trying to find the right one. But once you do, it is great.

Now sure, for someone who is just starting, or doesn't really have a very consistent swing, they probably won't notice. You need to be able to make a consistent swing in order to really fit yourself properly. But, once people get to that point, the shafts in your clubs are very important.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I decided to start learning thanks to this thread. I got my cheap set of clubs and hit the driving range last weekend. I suck, but had a lot of fun. I'm going to keep at it each week and maybe take a lesson or two.

RubxQub

I'm only at the point right now where I can tell that I need a stiff flex versus a regular flex on stock clubs, as my clubs won't lag properly with a regular flex.

...but that's all I got. :lol

RubxQub

Darkness said:
I decided to start learning thanks to this thread. I got my cheap set of clubs and hit the driving range last weekend. I suck, but had a lot of fun. I'm going to keep at it each week and maybe take a lesson or two.
If you're just starting out, I highly recommend watching some video tutorials on just the basics.

I pretty much exclusively went with Shawn Clements:
http://www.youtube.com/user/clemshaw

and Rickard Strongert:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-perform-the-perfect-golf-swing

...when I first started. Since then, I've bought the Stack and Tilt DVD set and took a lot away from those as well. Now, my swing is probably some hybrid of all these methods, but with a heavier skew towards the SnT method.

Both Shawn and Rickard are great resources, though. I could watch those videos all day (and have).

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Cool thanks for the links. I was actually going to go looking for some videos tonight for when I hit the range again Saturday. My friend showed me some basic stuff already, but he hasn't really been much himself.

RubxQub

Darkness said:
Cool thanks for the links. I was actually going to go looking for some videos tonight for when I hit the range again Saturday. My friend showed me some basic stuff already, but he hasn't really been much himself.
Biggest thing to keep in mind is to try and stick with some good resources and not spread your search too wide. You'll find a lot of conflicting stuff out there, and they aren't all necessarily wrong, but one teacher may be preaching a 2-plane swing versus a 1-plane. One may be a SnT pro. One may have developed their own swing entirely.

Just need to try and stick with a couple or a few good resources so the information you're getting is consistent. My swing changed dramatically while I was learning everything because I was just listening to anyone who'd talk about golf without filtering.

Circle T

RubxQub said:
I'm only at the point right now where I can tell that I need a stiff flex versus a regular flex on stock clubs, as my clubs won't lag properly with a regular flex.

...but that's all I got. :lol
Yea, that's fine. Getting close to the right flex is about all someone who is still learning really needs to worry about. Then, like I said, when you get to the point that you have a pretty repeatable swing, you can start to dial it in some more.

DD-11

Well, I've been out 8 times this year. I long for the days when I was shooting mid-90s! :lol

My handicap is currently at 32.7. It's really my long clubs that are giving me fits. I average 1.9 putts/hole, my chipping is great, but off the tee I just can't do anything with consistency. I only hit 31% of fairways, which means I'm on the green in regulation only 23% of the time.

Makes it difficult. I've only had 2 birdies and 26 pars after 8 outings. I’ve never loved something so frustrating!

I do scramble for par almost 20% of the time which is nice, but I'd kill to be able to hit the middle of the fairway and 200 yards off the tee with regularity. I've been fiddling with my grip and I think I'm on to something though.

XiaNaphryz

DD-11 said:
Well, I've been out 8 times this year. I long for the days when I was shooting mid-90s! :lol

My handicap is currently at 32.7. It's really my long clubs that are giving me fits. I average 1.9 putts/hole, my chipping is great, but off the tee I just can't do anything with consistency. I only hit 31% of fairways, which means I'm on the green in regulation only 23% of the time.

Makes it difficult. I've only had 2 birdies and 26 pars after 8 outings. I’ve never loved something so frustrating!

I do scramble for par almost 20% of the time which is nice, but I'd kill to be able to hit the middle of the fairway and 200 yards off the tee with regularity. I've been fiddling with my grip and I think I'm on to something though.
If your grip and swing seem consistent (proper lag, inside-out swing path, etc) but you're still missing fairways, you may want to experiment with ball position and tee height - different drivers work better with different setups due to differences in the face, size, etc.

Try watching these:

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTI_WxjmJw
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtWs3RoHuTU

DD-11

Thanks for the vids. I think I am doing some things differently than shown there (I have that exact Cobra driver we was demonstrating with). We'll see next week.

RubxQub

Just signed up for my first golf lesson at Golf Galaxy. Seems a bit more expensive than normal ones, but they save your lessons online to rewatch and you can buy them in groups to save a little.

Went with a single lesson for now to feel out the instructor before I invest.

After reading a thread where everyone mentioned if they were self taught or took lessons, the overwhelming majority of folks taking lessons said they taught themselves and played that way for so many years, only to have their game dramatically improved when they went in for lessons. People even went as far as to say they wasted years of golf by not going.

...I'm a bit skeptical, but I figure I'd be crazy to not at least try it. I suspect I'd have to go for a bunch of lessons before I can figure out if this is the right thing for me or not, but I really really want to get my golf game as best as I possibly can, so I'm willing to go with it.

Will report back later when I'm back to see how it goes. Dude said to just bring a wedge and a 7 iron for the first lesson.

Wonder if he's going to think my swing is awesome for where I am or if he's going to try and break it entirely ... :lol

Circle T

RubxQub said:
Wonder if he's going to think my swing is awesome for where I am or if he's going to try and break it entirely ... :lol
Unless someone has some horrific fundamental flaw that needs correcting, any good instructor should be able to help people make simple adjustments to their current swing with no need for major reconstruction. Though, I haven't seen your swing, so who knows :p

RubxQub

Circle T said:
Unless someone has some horrific fundamental flaw that needs correcting, any good instructor should be able to help people make simple adjustments to their current swing with no need for major reconstruction. Though, I haven't seen your swing, so who knows :p
I'm gonna assume my swing isn't awful and just needs touch-ups like you said...but we'll find out.

After doing a bit more research it appears as though there's a PGA Master Pro a half hour from here that gives lessons through Golf Galaxy. I'll make sure to give that guy a try with his background. If the drive isn't too bad I'd prefer to go to a guy who has a ton of teaching background like that.

Circle T

RubxQub said:
I'm gonna assume my swing isn't awful and just needs touch-ups like you said...but we'll find out.

After doing a bit more research it appears as though there's a PGA Master Pro a half hour from here that gives lessons through Golf Galaxy. I'll make sure to give that guy a try with his background. If the drive isn't too bad I'd prefer to go to a guy who has a ton of teaching background like that.
Almost all Golf Galaxy locations actually have a PGA member on staff. Not that that guarantees they are a great instructor or anything, but the couple Pros I know from around here that work at the various Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy locations are great guys, and very good instructors. But, if the other guy you mentioned does a lot of teaching, might not be a bad idea to work with him.

With instructors, sort of like clubs, it is just as important finding one who you feel works well, not just the one who has the best certifications. My dad is a Class A PGA professional, but I couldn't stand working with him growing up. He is more of a "feel" player, and his instructions for me, more often than not, were just too vague and general. He's a great player, but I like to be more specific with my methods and instructions. So, I worked with the Assistant Pro at the club instead. He and I connected on very much the same wavelength with our swing thoughts and direction, so it was a great fit.

So, see how it goes, but don't hesitate to move on if you feel like the connection isn't there. Once you find an instructor who can communicate things in a way that makes sense to you and your swing thoughts, you will find your swing improvements coming much more frequently and naturally. Good luck.

RubxQub

Circle T said:
Almost all Golf Galaxy locations actually have a PGA member on staff. Not that that guarantees they are a great instructor or anything, but the couple Pros I know from around here that work at the various Dick's Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy locations are great guys, and very good instructors. But, if the other guy you mentioned does a lot of teaching, might not be a bad idea to work with him.

With instructors, sort of like clubs, it is just as important finding one who you feel works well, not just the one who has the best certifications. My dad is a Class A PGA professional, but I couldn't stand working with him growing up. He is more of a "feel" player, and his instructions for me, more often than not, were just too vague and general. He's a great player, but I like to be more specific with my methods and instructions. So, I worked with the Assistant Pro at the club instead. He and I connected on very much the same wavelength with our swing thoughts and direction, so it was a great fit.

So, see how it goes, but don't hesitate to move on if you feel like the connection isn't there. Once you find an instructor who can communicate things in a way that makes sense to you and your swing thoughts, you will find your swing improvements coming much more frequently and naturally. Good luck.
That's what the guy I'm going to today is, a Class A PGA Pro. Looking at the guy's tourney scores online, it looks like he generally shoots mid 70's. Not sure if that's good or not for an instructor, but we'll see how today goes.

I'm all pumped up, though. I don't think I've danced and sung so hard in the shower in recent memory. :lol

I'm easily excitable

Circle T

RubxQub said:
Looking at the guy's tourney scores online, it looks like he generally shoots mid 70's. Not sure if that's good or not for an instructor, but we'll see how today goes.
Doesn't matter at all. Being able to teach the game well is a completely different thing from being able to play it. Look at it this way. I'm sure Butch Harmon and Hank Haney are decent players, but they never played on tour. And yet, Tiger Woods (along with a decent number of other players) used them for instruction for many years. Don't let this guys scores deter you.

RubxQub

Just got back, and there is good news and bad news.

Good news is that he said my swing is actually "pretty decent".
Bad news is that I'm swinging too vertically with my arms and not enough horizontally with my hips...so I need to shallow out my swing plane.

Sounds like I've got some work to do, but the guy seemed really nice, and it sounds like he's going to edit together a lesson package to post online for me to follow during the week.

Basically told me to work on my athleticism a bit more with my turning so I can get my hands more inside without it feeling uncomfortable.

I suspect I'll be going back...as I know you're going to need a lot more than a single lesson to reap the benefits.

RubxQub

Wow...so swinging more on plane like this has really changed the way I need to approach both my back and downswings.

On my backswing, I've got to pull the club behind my body much further than I'm used to, which means I'm turning my waist much more to get it back there. On the downswing, I find that I'll constantly swing just over the ground unless I perform a hipslide towards the target, which causes me to bottom out just at the point of the golfball and take that divot in front of it.

Definitely not comfortable doing this just yet...it is just day 1 after the lesson, but hopefully this leads to good things and I'm not just effing up my existing swing. :lol

My lower back is definitely feeling it.

XiaNaphryz

RubxQub said:
Wow...so swinging more on plane like this has really changed the way I need to approach both my back and downswings.

On my backswing, I've got to pull the club behind my body much further than I'm used to, which means I'm turning my waist much more to get it back there. On the downswing, I find that I'll constantly swing just over the ground unless I perform a hipslide towards the target, which causes me to bottom out just at the point of the golfball and take that divot in front of it.

Definitely not comfortable doing this just yet...it is just day 1 after the lesson, but hopefully this leads to good things and I'm not just effing up my existing swing. :lol

My lower back is definitely feeling it.
Sounds like you'll be seeing higher ballflight and longer distances once you nail things down. Though keep in mind you want your swing to bottom out in front of the ball, not at the ball - otherwise, your divot would actually start behind the ball a bit.

RubxQub

XiaNaphryz said:
Sounds like you'll be seeing higher ballflight and longer distances once you nail things down. Though keep in mind you want your swing to bottom out in front of the ball, not at the ball - otherwise, your divot would actually start behind the ball a bit.
Hope so :D

I need to try this out at the range, as right now it's kind of hard to tell. I'm swinging in my house and picking a spot on the carpet and gauging where I'm bottoming out based on the carpet. Will probably feel/see a lot more difference if I'm hitting balls instead of nothing.

RubxQub

So I may or may not be taking an "unofficial" half day today to play a round. :D

Kinda worried, as I'm still between swings. Last time I went to the range, I was doing all sorts of funny things leading to weird shots...so hopefully I can suppress that a good amount.

Either way...I love being out on the course. I can already taste the cold beer and feel the smooth breeze on my face as we cart around.

Saw a commercial for the Adams Golf V-3 Hybrid Irons. I was instantly intrigued. Weeks later was in my local Golf shop and tried them out. Holy Hell was that the best set of clubs I've ever tried. Of course I'm hitting into a net and don't know where the heck the ball is going but good God did the ball feel amazing coming off the head of these Irons.
Now I need to wait for an x-mas bonus that I may or may not get to come up with the $1,000 it will cost me. Doh!!

Edit: Fitted and purchased. Looking forward to spring. :D

Is Gaf Golf ready for spring?
Finally got my clubs after many F' ups at Golf Galaxy. Two months to get them right.
Playing 18 holes of virtual golf this weekend. Can not wait to hit the ball.
I have 3 lessons I received as an x-mas gift. I need them!! Used to hit consistantly in the mid 80's with my best score being an 81 about 5 years ago. Now a 100 is not out of the question.

Oh I'm ready. A friend and I have already planned out a two day golfing trip in Virginia for sometime in the spring. I can't wait. Two days of nonstop golfing and drinking oh lawwwwd

clav

I just started golfing with my friend a few weeks ago. I had a set of old clubs my uncle donated to me when I was younger, and they actually fit me really well.

In particular as a casual golfer, do you guys recommend that I buy shoes?

Also, what's the time frame I will be practicing on a driving range before moving up to a golf course?

Anyone have tips or videos to share?

claviertekky said:
I just started golfing with my friend a few weeks ago. I had a set of old clubs my uncle donated to me when I was younger, and they actually fit me really well.

Also, what's the time frame I will be practicing on a driving range before moving up to a golf course?

I don't have any golf shoes and I've done fine for the past 3 years. However! I have had a foot slip in damp conditions or if the course isn't in great condition.

claviertekky said:

I jumped in the day after I bought all my things. I learned how to swing the clubs and how to play the game the same day, which was unintentional. Just one friend went with me. He hasn't gone to pro school or anything, but he was good and I wanted the teacher student ratio 1:1. It was the beginning of summer so I had an entire season to practice.

XiaNaphryz

claviertekky said:

Golf shoes can really help with stability, especially in parts of the course that may not be in great condition. Just find some that are on sale and you'll be fine. No need for the fancy ones with replaceable spikes just yet.

Personally, I'd suggest sticking to the range until you can get the majority of your shots in the air as opposed to shanks/dribbles/thin/topped/fat. Even if they don't quite end up where you aim, if you can at least get them into the air and cover some distance you can at least compensate for the direction.

You should also spend the same amount of time you do on the driving range practicing short game stuff (chipping, pitching, sand play) and putting.

Any tips on hitting a driver or woods. I can hit all my irons straight and with pretty good contact but when it comes to the woods and my driver I can't hit them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom