• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
CitizenCope said:
Saw a commercial for the Adams Golf V-3 Hybrid Irons. I was instantly intrigued. Weeks later was in my local Golf shop and tried them out. Holy Hell was that the best set of clubs I've ever tried. Of course I'm hitting into a net and don't know where the heck the ball is going but good God did the ball feel amazing coming off the head of these Irons.
Now I need to wait for an x-mas bonus that I may or may not get to come up with the $1,000 it will cost me. Doh!!

Edit: Fitted and purchased. Looking forward to spring. :D

You crazy bastard, you went ahead with the purchase? Niiiice. Good for you.

claviertekky said:
In particular as a casual golfer, do you guys recommend that I buy shoes?

I've played for 20 years and haven't worn them once. I do kind of want them now though. For many years my friends with golf shoes would say their feet were killing them at the end of the round. I never had any pain just wearing shoes. Lately though I haven't heard many complaints. They must be making them more comfortable these days.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
CitizenCope said:
I've played for 20 years and haven't worn them once. I do kind of want them now though. For many years my friends with golf shoes would say their feet were killing them at the end of the round. I never had any pain just wearing shoes. Lately though I haven't heard many complaints. They must be making them more comfortable these days.
Golf shoes from Nike/Reebok etc feel fine. You don't really need anything fancy with removable spikes or anything, just a pair that are comfortable and can give you decent stability.

Finally hit the range earlier today after not hitting anything since my last round of golf back in October. Took a while to get the groove going and having to hit into the wind wasn't helping, but towards the end of my session I was starting to get some solid irons going. Driver needs a lot of work though to shake off the rust. Spent most of the early part of the session just doing the L-drill over and over again to try and get the muscle memory back for proper impact. Then spent about an hour on the practice green.

Need the weather to hold up to get a regular practice schedule going again.

Circle T

XiaNaphryz said:
...and having to hit into the wind wasn't helping
That is my favorite way to practice. Into the wind, the curve of the ball is amplified so much, it is quick and easy to see how you are swinging, and if your practice is going well.

I'm getting really pumped for this season. I haven't had the clubs out since I went to Wisconsin to visit my father last fall, and even then, last year was a pretty light season for me. I probably only played a dozen times. I grew up and worked in the golf business for many years, but after I changed careers, I dropped the sport almost entirely. Once I was no longer "living it", I took the opportunity to take a break from it, and make time for other hobbies. Now though, after about 3-4 years out of the biz, I'm getting the itch back.

Priority 1 for me is buying new irons this year, as I sold my old Mizuno MP37s to a friend last year. My wedges are still in good shape, but they have the "old" grooves on them. I should probably just get new ones this year, so I can start learning how the new grooves are playing. Short game is my bread-and-butter, so I need to stay sharp.

XiaNaphryz

Circle T said:
That is my favorite way to practice. Into the wind, the curve of the ball is amplified so much, it is quick and easy to see how you are swinging, and if your practice is going well.
I didn't mind it so much once I got my swing grooved in, but until then it was more of a distraction. At least it gave me a chance to practice some punch shots.

And my back is out. >=(
I was doing some pretty aggresive "Golf stretches" that I found on youtube. Between that and doing physical labor as my full time job I was pretty sore before I hit the range last week to hit a jumbo bucket. The clubs were fantastic btw!!! The next day we played 18 holes of virtual golf and the very next day I had the worst back spasm in my 40 years. Screaming at the top of my lungs. 3 days later it's a struggle to stand.
Hope I didn't just F' up my season after spending all this money on these clubs.

Golf-gaf, its getting to spring time and need some advice.

I'm a weekend golfer, usually go with my dad every other Saturday when it gets nice out. I'm not amazing or anything, but I'm not terrible either.

I still have my grandpas old hand me downs and a newer driver from a friend of mine. I dont want to spend too much since I dont play often and only once a week during the warmer months.

Here's my question:

Do you think I should go with a complete set of new ones? (cheaper quality overall but a brand new matched set)

OR

Pick and choose my most used clubs and get them replaced with better quality ones?(wont have matching sets of clubs, but the more useful clubs will be higher quality)

I'd like to get a new set but I dont want to get super garbage ones and I certainly dont want to spend over 400 for quality ones. This is why I was entertaining replacing certain woods/irons/etc with better quality ones. Also, I see a lot of people say to buy used, but I really dont want to go down that route, you never really know what they went you through, ya know?

My limit is 300 but I was hoping not to go that high if possible. I know thats not a lot in terms of golf clubs, but its more of a hobby with my dad and I so I'm not super serious about it. Just want some good clubs that'll last awhile.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Lionheart1827 said:
Here's my question:

Do you think I should go with a complete set of new ones? (cheaper quality overall but a brand new matched set)

OR

Pick and choose my most used clubs and get them replaced with better quality ones?(wont have matching sets of clubs, but the more useful clubs will be higher quality)

I'm still using my Grandfather's hickory-shafted putter. It's a marvel.

As for the rest of the clubs, definitely DON'T mess around with replacing individual clubs. You'll end up with different clubs with different swingweights and playing characteristics, and it just messes everything up.

The best way is to get a new set - but you do need to make sure you are comfortable with them. Try borrowing clubs from your friends and relatives to find out what seems comfortable to you. You don't have to buy them brand new though, not at all. I bought my set from a friend of about the same height as me who had a lot more money than sense so kept replacing his clubs every few years. Got a full set of irons from him for £50 and still using them now 20 years on.

Unless you are spectacularly skillful you can safely ignore every one who bangs on about the need to have everything custom-fitted to your swing and so on. The human body is an adaptable thing and over time you'll adjust to pretty well anything provided you get the length of the clubs and the shaft stiffness right for you and stick with them. So long as you can hold it, swing it and the head doesn't drop off you'll be OK. But put new grips on if they are worn.

That it for the irons (I carry 2-SW, less the 8 which I lost in a water hazard about 10 years back - because I hadn't got the grip replaced).

Putters are different, just find one that suits you.

As for woods, it is less important to have them matching the irons. I got a cheap mid-size driver in a sale which suits me just fine, and use a 40-year-old small-headed 3-wood from a charity shop for everything else.

For emergencies I carry two extra clubs to make up the 14. A very light whippy ladies 8-iron that I stole from my auntie, which proves useful in wispy rough - and a left-handed 9-iron for shots I can't reach any other way.

phisheep said:
I'm still using my Grandfather's hickory-shafted putter. It's a marvel.

As for the rest of the clubs, definitely DON'T mess around with replacing individual clubs. You'll end up with different clubs with different swingweights and playing characteristics, and it just messes everything up.

The best way is to get a new set - but you do need to make sure you are comfortable with them. Try borrowing clubs from your friends and relatives to find out what seems comfortable to you. You don't have to buy them brand new though, not at all. I bought my set from a friend of about the same height as me who had a lot more money than sense so kept replacing his clubs every few years. Got a full set of irons from him for £50 and still using them now 20 years on.

Unless you are spectacularly skillful you can safely ignore every one who bangs on about the need to have everything custom-fitted to your swing and so on. The human body is an adaptable thing and over time you'll adjust to pretty well anything provided you get the length of the clubs and the shaft stiffness right for you and stick with them. So long as you can hold it, swing it and the head doesn't drop off you'll be OK. But put new grips on if they are worn.

That it for the irons (I carry 2-SW, less the 8 which I lost in a water hazard about 10 years back - because I hadn't got the grip replaced).

Putters are different, just find one that suits you.

As for woods, it is less important to have them matching the irons. I got a cheap mid-size driver in a sale which suits me just fine, and use a 40-year-old small-headed 3-wood from a charity shop for everything else.

For emergencies I carry two extra clubs to make up the 14. A very light whippy ladies 8-iron that I stole from my auntie, which proves useful in wispy rough - and a left-handed 9-iron for shots I can't reach any other way.

Thanks for the tips! I gather what you're saying generally is look into getting a set of good matching irons? The driver I have is fine atm and I dont really need a putter either. Irons however are old, and the closest thing to having a wedge in my arsenal is my 9i :D

As for complete sets, any recommendations? I'm just worried that I'm gonna buy a set and BAM one of the heads flies off after 50 or so swings. :[

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Lionheart1827 said:
Thanks for the tips! I gather what you're saying generally is look into getting a set of good matching irons? The driver I have is fine atm and I dont really need a putter either. Irons however are old, and the closest thing to having a wedge in my arsenal is my 9i :D

As for complete sets, any recommendations? I'm just worried that I'm gonna buy a set and BAM one of the heads flies off after 50 or so swings. :[

Yeah, that's it - sorry I got a bit long-winded!

I'm not the right guy to ask for recommendations though - as like I said, mine are 20 years old and going strong. But on the other hand, what's right for someone else may not be right for you. So all I can suggest is get yourself up to a range or pro shop and spend an hour or so trying out every 7-iron they have, then make sure you write down the shaft stiffness/head type/length of the ones you like and work outwards from there.

XiaNaphryz

phisheep said:
Unless you are spectacularly skillful you can safely ignore every one who bangs on about the need to have everything custom-fitted to your swing and so on. The human body is an adaptable thing and over time you'll adjust to pretty well anything provided you get the length of the clubs and the shaft stiffness right for you and stick with them.
When most people say to get fitted, they usually are referring to the items you've bolded when it comes to beginner/casual players. No point in stuff like lie angle and whatnot unless you have a very consistent swing.

You always hear the pros and trainers talk about an even swing plane but I've been watching a ton of golf lately and slowing up swings with my DVR. Sure a lot of the players do have a beautiful swing plane but I can't believe how many really look nothing like what they all try and teach us.
So I'm wondering what the most important part of the swing is. If Bubba Watson can win on tour with that swing I certainly don't need to be worrying that everything is perfect in my back swing.
I've played and sliced for more then 20 years. This is the first off season where I feel like I know what I'm doing wrong. Of course this is from just swinging in the back yard. I'm getting my hips through first and realizing it's helping me not use my upper body with the majority of my swing. I'm seeing results on my mat that would equate to a more square club at impact. WTF 20 yrs before I could tell what I was doing wrong. What a sport. =/
Have 3 lessons available but I'm not so sure they are going to confuse me more than anything. What to do?
Anyways just rambling because I can't wait to get out there. Giving my back two more weeks before my first round.

th3dude

CitizenCope said:
You always hear the pros and trainers talk about an even swing plane but I've been watching a ton of golf lately and slowing up swings with my DVR. Sure a lot of the players do have a beautiful swing plane but I can't believe how many really look nothing like what they all try and teach us.
So I'm wondering what the most important part of the swing is. If Bubba Watson can win on tour with that swing I certainly don't need to be worrying that everything is perfect in my back swing.
I've played and sliced for more then 20 years. This is the first off season where I feel like I know what I'm doing wrong. Of course this is from just swinging in the back yard. I'm getting my hips through first and realizing it's helping me not use my upper body with the majority of my swing. I'm seeing results on my mat that would equate to a more square club at impact. WTF 20 yrs before I could tell what I was doing wrong. What a sport. =/
Have 3 lessons available but I'm not so sure they are going to confuse me more than anything. What to do?
Anyways just rambling because I can't wait to get out there. Giving my back two more weeks before my first round.

Over the years I've discovered that while the 'perfect swing' is ideal, we are all different and have our own unique swings. Once you are at a point where you are too old/not enough time to learn a 'perfect swing', you learn to play with the swing that you have, maybe tweaking it here and there.

XiaNaphryz said:
When most people say to get fitted, they usually are referring to the items you've bolded when it comes to beginner/casual players. No point in stuff like lie angle and whatnot unless you have a very consistent swing.

This. Unless you are playing every day, you really only need to worry about those two things (shaft type and length).

For most, standard length is usually OK unless you are on the tall or short end. As for shaft stiffness, I go by the faster your swing speed, the stiffer your shaft should be (giggity).

Circle T

CitizenCope said:
The only place you REALLY need to worry about the swing is from 12" behind the ball through the 12" after the ball. You just want to try and get the club face and swing path to be going on roughly similar trajectories in that little 2ft space. Tiger, Bubba, Furyk, Sergio, Trevino, etc. They all have very different swings for 90% of the motion, but when their club comes into the impact area, the club will be going down the target line, and the club face will be mostly square to their target.

That is the key with golf, and where a lot of people get into trouble. As discussed, there is no singular "Perfect Swing" that everyone can use and succeed with. Everyone's body and muscle structure will swing the club a little differently. You improve by figuring out how to get your body to return the club face back to the ball as square as possible. For some that might be a little more upright, outside-in with a fading ball flight. Some might have a flatter, inside-out swing, drawing the ball. Others, like Furyk, are a little of both, being very upright to start, but then looping down at the start of the downswing for a very inside-out draw flight.

The one constant that I always try to work on, though, is what I call "Toe-up to Toe-up". On the backswing and follow through, at the point when the club is parallel to the ground, you want the toe of the club to be pointed straight up. I'll usually make a couple half-speed practice swings where I deliberately watch for that. That always helps me feel that motion, and get the club fairly square.

XiaNaphryz

Circle T said:
The one constant that I always try to work on, though, is what I call "Toe-up to Toe-up". On the backswing and follow through, at the point when the club is parallel to the ground, you want the toe of the club to be pointed straight up. I'll usually make a couple half-speed practice swings where I deliberately watch for that. That always helps me feel that motion, and get the club fairly square.
Yep, if I'm ever in a funk I spend a little while at the range focusing on nothing but the L-drill, making sure I have the club in the right spots when the club is parallel to the ground and when my arms are parallel to the ground. Doing that for a bit always gets my shots back on track with better, more consistent impact and straighter shots, and then I proceed to a more full swing.

lil smoke

Banned
Where is the damn game? I thought it was on Golf HD, but all I see are interviews that could have been shown yesterday. What channel is this on?

Tune into ESPN @ 3, that's when official coverage begins. Yes, it sucks, but that's the way it's been for as long as I can remember.

Circle T

Masters.com this year is kick ass. They currently have the usual Amen Corner Live, as well as 15 & 16, but I think they said more holes would be available later. Plus you can put one of them picture-in-picture on the streaming window, and then swap back and forth. And if you go to the main leaderboard and expand out a players scorecard, you can click on certain holes to see highlights (Like Goosen's hole-out eagle on 1). All in all, it is a pretty awesome setup until main coverage starts later.

lil smoke

Banned
Circle T said:
Masters.com this year is kick ass. They currently have the usual Amen Corner Live, as well as 15 & 16, but I think they said more holes would be available later. Plus you can put one of them picture-in-picture on the streaming window, and then swap back and forth. And if you go to the main leaderboard and expand out a players scorecard, you can click on certain holes to see highlights (Like Goosen's hole-out eagle on 1). All in all, it is a pretty awesome setup until main coverage starts later.
That sounds better than CBS then. Same hole coverage, but no PIP. I'll check that out thanks. Looks like we might see TW soon, approaching Amen.

lol watching the masters at work too.

speaking of swings, i think the smoothest swing out there is freddie couples.
speaking of freddie couples, knew a guy who worked at torrey pines. recalled a story of when it was raininy pretty hard during a practice round at the buick invitational, freddie and a sizeable group of guys huddle together near a practice green and start toking it up. must have been for his back problems.

XiaNaphryz

Managed to hit the range recently now that the weather's been clear for a while. Good session, most of my shots went the way I was aiming and the mishits still went straight and just lost some distance.

Still have yet to go out for my first round of the year. Getting a bit antsy!

Keen said:
First round of the season tomorrow, feel like a kid before christmas!
I would hate to only be able to golf during certain times of the year. I live in Hawaii so it's golf season all year.

Just my luck, this thread pops back up today.

Had one of my worst rounds of 9 hole ever played today. I dont know what the hell was wrong with me but my fairway game was absolutely horrendous. Literally, every shot would have no loft and just skipped across the ground. Even my tee shots were absolutely terrible. I had maybe one or two good shots all day. Ruined my day.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
CitizenCope said:
I wear golf shoes every time. They are no less comfortable then regular shoes. The reason to wear them has to go with grip, not comfort.

jogarrr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWTXoNzuk8c

Would have been amazing to see that live. His caddy was not amused :p

Edit: watching on Golf channel now, fun hearing him and his caddy chat. It was pretty convenient that they were mic'd.
Caddy: "I was trying to tell you to go back to the tee."
Na: "I figured it would only take a couple of shots to get out."

Edit2: a shame he couldn't recover better on 9, he went on to finish 3 under on the back 9. All else being equal he'd be tied for third if he had managed par on 9.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Second round yesterday, and overall it went pretty well. My iron play was kinda shoddy, made good contact but hooked or drew my shots overly much. Hit some killer drives though, drove the green of a 300 yard par 4 (3 putted for par after a 307 yard drive :( ), and hit one 326 yards which is by far my longest (measured) drive. Putting went pretty well, short game was shit.
But I feel this will be a good season :) So excited to play again!

14 drives.
7 straight as an arrow.
7 with outrageous slices.
=( I don't know what the heck I'm doing wrong.
Short game was decent so this just killed my score.

XiaNaphryz

Played my first round of the year a few days ago, just a quick 9 holes. Ended up +10 due to a couple 3 putts and bladed chips. Not surprising that it's my short game that's the most rusty. Drives were actually decent with the driver, and most irons went where I aimed at though I had the occasional thin shot.

Circle T

This might be more "Insider Business" than GolfGAF normally talks about, but this is a pretty big thing. Apparently, Callaway (with partner Blackstone) is looking to purchase the Acushnet brand away from Fortune Brands. Acushnet, for those who don't know, is the parent company of Titleist, Cobra, Pinnacle and Footjoy. This would be a pretty huge thing.

Acushnet, and more specifically Fortune Brands, as of late, have not been doing very well, so they're going to need to do something, one way or another. Surviving on their own is becoming an increasingly improbable thing. The Titleist and Footjoy names and tech would (should) be fine if a sale happens, but I'm not so sure about Cobra or Pinnacle.

If a deal DOES happen, one thing will be certain; Callaway will be a short-game powerhouse. With Callaway then employing Roger Cleveland AND Bob Vokey, the wedges they produce could be some of the best things ever. And having both Odyssey and Scotty Cameron, they would have every end of the price/performance spectrum covered.

-----

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/04/28/us-fortune-idUSTRE73R7WF20110428

Reuters said:
Fortune may decide in the end to spin off the golf business -- instead of selling it outright -- unless the bid prices come in significantly higher than they did in the first round, said a third source familiar with the situation.

A decision is still uncertain as Fortune waits for the next round's bids, that source said.

Blackstone and Callaway declined comment.

Fortune Brands spokesman Clarkson Hine said: "As we've said before, we are exploring the sale or spin-off of our industry-leading Acushnet golf business. Acushnet is a valuable company that can create significant value for shareholders through a sale or as an independent company. Beyond that, we don't intend to discuss the process."

XiaNaphryz

Circle T said:
This might be more "Insider Business" than GolfGAF normally talks about, but this is a pretty big thing. Apparently, Callaway (with partner Blackstone) is looking to purchase the Acushnet brand away from Fortune Brands. Acushnet, for those who don't know, is the parent company of Titleist, Cobra, Pinnacle and Footjoy. This would be a pretty huge thing.

Acushnet, and more specifically Fortune Brands, as of late, have not been doing very well, so they're going to need to do something, one way or another. Surviving on their own is becoming an increasingly improbable thing. The Titleist and Footjoy names and tech would (should) be fine if a sale happens, but I'm not so sure about Cobra or Pinnacle.

If a deal DOES happen, one thing will be certain; Callaway will be a short-game powerhouse. With Callaway then employing Roger Cleveland AND Bob Vokey, the wedges they produce could be some of the best things ever. And having both Odyssey and Scotty Cameron, they would have every end of the price/performance spectrum covered.

-----

Time to hit the wrx boards and see the reactions...

Kosmo

Banned
Circle T said:

-----

Cobra was already sold to Puma a while ago. Pinnacle hasn't been relevant in a long time - do they even still make those balls? They have moved the Titleist brand into that market with the NXT and Nike and Top Flight both have uber-cheap balls.

Circle T

Kosmo said:
Cobra was already sold to Puma a while ago.
That's right, I forgot about that. That was almost a year ago. My bad.

Kosmo said:
Pinnacle hasn't been relevant in a long time - do they even still make those balls? They have moved the Titleist brand into that market with the NXT and Nike and Top Flight both have uber-cheap balls.
Pinnacle, if this sale goes through, will almost certainly die. They do still make balls. A lot of courses buy Pinnacle range balls as part of their yearly buy of Titleist balls. But, given that Callaway already owns Top-Flite, and like you said, the already overflowing "low-price" ball market, Pinnacle doesn't really have much to offer the golf world post-sale.

NJ Shlice

Okay Golf GAF, help me out

This is the first year I'm really taking Golf seriously (I know... not too seriously, i'm not getting frustrated, I just want to get better)

I've been going to the range a few times a week and this is my deal:

I'm really comfortable with PW, 9, 8, 7. Nice and straight.

When I pick up the 5 it just hooks to the right so much I don't understand it. And my Driver is the same thing, I can't get it consistently straight.

Now, outside of where to place the ball in relation to my feet (Moving the ball forward for every decreasing iron), what are some other tips that I should be taking into consideration when hitting irons less than 7??

Circle T

NJ Shlice said:
Now, outside of where to place the ball in relation to my feet (Moving the ball forward for every decreasing iron), what are some other tips that I should be taking into consideration when hitting irons less than 7??
Swing a little easier. The less loft a club has, the more any minor swing faults you have will amplify themselves. Taking a little slower, smoother swing will allow you to hopefully come through the ball a little more square, and get the ball headed in your intended direction. A smooth, 80% swing with good contact will often go farther than one where you swing like crazy at 105% and mishit it. You can worry about maximizing distance later, just let the length of the clubs handle that for now.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try and keep your head and hips still, and your weight behind the ball on those longer clubs. Getting your weight moving forward in the downswing means that you have to compensate and speed your hands up to match. When that doesn't happen, you will more than likely come through impact with the face open, and leave shots out to the right, as it sounds like you do. You want to try and keep your spine in roughly the same spot, and just rotate around it.

By swinging a little easier, and keeping your weight from shifting too much, you will eliminate a good deal of the variables in the swing. This SHOULD allow you better contact with the ball, and in turn, better shots.

Ristlager

After a loooong winter, hitting tons of balls into a wall. The courses finally opened here in Norway, and I played the best round in my life, one over par after nine holes and a nice 78. Reaching my year goal of becoming a singlehc in my first round :) fuck me, golf is funny when everything clicks. Had total controll over every part of the game (a few slices with the driver fucked up a couple of holes) Just hoping I can keep up the form for the rest of the season :)

Kosmo

Banned
NJ Shlice said:

This is the first year I'm really taking Golf seriously (I know... not too seriously, i'm not getting frustrated, I just want to get better)

When I pick up the 5 it just hooks to the right so much I don't understand it. And my Driver is the same thing, I can't get it consistently straight.

Your swing with your irons should be exactly the same from 3-W as far as tempo. People think they have to swing harder to make the ball go farther with lower lofted irons and that's not the case at all.

XiaNaphryz

Kosmo said:
Your swing with your irons should be exactly the same from 3-W as far as tempo. People think they have to swing harder to make the ball go farther with lower lofted irons and that's not the case at all.
They're not entirely incorrect though - higher swing speed does mean farther distance if you hit the ball properly. Of course, actually doing it and still getting flush contact isn't easy for many amateurs as their mechanics often breakdown at some point speeding up.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
NJ Shlice said:

Experiment. That's the thing.

This stuff about moving the ball a bit forward in your stance for each decreasing iron works just fine if you already have a perfect late-hit swing. Most of us don't - and I most certainly don't.

After lots of experimenting (holding clubs shorter, slow/fast swings and so on) I found that playing the long irons further back in my stance worked a dream. Back - the opposite of the received wisdom. Seems to encourage hitting down on the ball. Whatever it is my irons from 5-2 suddenly started going straight and long, whereas before they'd all gone the same distance as the 7-iron and usually hooked or sliced.

Having made that change, I'm now hitting greens with a 4-iron that previously I couldn't reach with a 3-wood.

Not saying it'll work for you - but it is worth playing around a bit and seeing what really works for you rather than what the books say.

XiaNaphryz said:
They're not entirely incorrect though - higher swing speed does mean farther distance if you hit the ball properly. Of course, actually doing it and still getting flush contact isn't easy for many amateurs as their mechanics often breakdown at some point speeding up.

Sometimes I think the torque you build up during the backswing is more important than overall swing speed. I'm not a big guy, and I have a pretty compact swing. I don't have a super fast swing speed or long backswing (I never get close to parallel at the top), but my hips and lower body are super quiet build up a lot of torque, which is the only way I can explain my distances.

*sigh* I'm really itching to start playing seriously again. That would justify buying new clubs, which I would like to do one day. I'm still on that 2004-ish technology :(

XiaNaphryz

kevo_huevo said:
Sometimes I think the torque you build up during the backswing is more important than overall swing speed. I'm not a big guy, and I have a pretty compact swing. I don't have a super fast swing speed or long backswing (I never get close to parallel at the top), but my hips and lower body are super quiet build up a lot of torque, which is the only way I can explain my distances.

*sigh* I'm really itching to start playing seriously again. That would justify buying new clubs, which I would like to do one day. I'm still on that 2004-ish technology :(
But isn't building up torque part of increasing swing speed? Swing speed at impact is what matters - I'd think arriving at the unwind point at a faster speed would mean when you unload the torque will result in even higher speeds at impact.

As for new clubs - I've noticed a bunch of iron sets at local golf shops on closeout sale (I'm guessing they're trying to unload older model stock?). A few hundred for a brand new set of clubs isn't bad at all considering what they usually go for.

I need to buy some new clubs for a charity tournament I foolishly signed up for next month. I had a set of starter clubs for many years but they were awful. My skill level is VERY LOW, I play maybe a few times a year and I'm pretty terrible so I'd like clubs that are as forgiving as possible. I'm left-handed which sucks because it always limits the selection. I don't mind spending money for a good set. Does anyone have recommendations for (a) a set that would fit my needs and (b) a good golf store where I can go try them out and get fitted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom