• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google I/O 2015 |OT| Other M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the last update I haven't had any issues with Lollipop. I'm on a Nexus 6. Is it really that bad for people?

Yep, shocking. A quick break down of issues:
- Horrific framerate in UI home screen
- Terrible, terrible battery life (12hrs on standby at best)
- Daily full crashes with restart. It will just sit there then reset
- Poor WiFi compared to how it used to be
- Freezes, chugs, slowdown when minimising browser, lock ups frequent on basic sites like this
- Typing is unresponsive and plays catch up

It's fucking awful.

We have about 30 Android phones at work and they're all shitty on Lollipop. The crashes man, they just fucking fall apart all the time.

- Freezes, chugs, slowdown when minimising browser, lock ups frequent on basic sites like this

It's fucking awful.

We have about 30 Android phones at work and they're all shitty on Lollipop. The crashes man, they just fucking fall apart all the time.

S4/5?

survivor

Banned
Here is a hoping that Android M release won't be an unusable mess like Lollipop, but who am I kidding. It will be bad just like always.

My biggest hope is they move away from Java to something more modern. Dart might be a good candidate.
Do they have the luxury to do that? It seems like it will be too much work at this point to change Android to something else after what they invested into it. Then again Apple got Swift to work so I don't know, maybe it's not that impossible.

Oogedei

Lollipop runs perfectly on my Nexus 6. Not a single problem the last 6 months. Never had a smoother OS, which worked so good and yet people are complaining. Seriously, I don't even know what you're doing with your phones.

Somnid

Here is a hoping that Android M release won't be an unusable mess like Lollipop, but who am I kidding. It will be bad just like always.

Do they have the luxury to do that? It seems like it will be too much work at this point to change Android to something else after what they invested into it. Then again Apple got Swift to work so I don't know, maybe it's not that impossible.

You don't throw what's already there away because there are legacy code needs. You'd have to allow for mixed library cases and start building it in as first class in your tools. Eventually stuff starts moving over because developers like it.

kiguel182

I doubt my Moto G will see this upgrade but I'm still very interested in what comes next. It seems they'll focus on improving what's there already, that's the right choice for sure.

More interesting will be the whole "internet of things" approach Google will have. It's an area I'm really interested in and Google is a company that can make big progress in that are if they put in the effort.

ajpw

Lollipop runs perfectly on my Nexus 6. Not a single problem the last 6 months. Never had a smoother OS, which worked so good and yet people are complaining. Seriously, I don't even know what you're doing with your phones.

the nexus 6 part here is key

NMFried

Lemme get that Android Wear for iOS. I got a Moto 360 on the cheap and I can only see my notifications. They are locked away from me :(

JeTmAn81

It's fucking awful.

My OG Nexus 7 is still mostly destroyed by Lollipop. It's better since the last update, but I'm still dying to flash back to an old version. I haven't been able to because none of my cables I use for charging are working for data.

I'm mostly interested in the new hardware that's going to be unveiled at the event. Also, I hope to see the successor to the Moto 360. All of the recent fire sales on the original is making me restless. Just give me one with better battery life and NFC/Google Wallet compatibility.

I'm also wondering what Google has in store with Glass.

EmiPrime

My Nexus 5 performs extremely well on 5.1.1 (as good as the day I got it) and I haven't had any crashes. My only complaint is battery life but the phone being over 18 months old likely has much to do with that.

I'd like SMS integration for Hangouts on Chrome. Pushbullet is okay but I would prefer a Google solution.

3phemeral

Well if you buy a new phone which has Android Melonpan

159.gif

I hope they adress a lot of issues with Lollipop. Seems like they have tons to cover if the OP isn't mostly rumors.

Lollipop came out November and a lot of phones don't even have it 6 months later...

...which means early 2016 before most people see it? Unless you're on a Nexus or Motorola.

It takes phone manufacturers months before they update their latest flagships. Older phones are either dropped out from support or wait for very long time. I think Google should address these kinda of problems in their latest android version. Make it mandatory to have the latest version of Android to use their services. I know that not entirely realistic, but I am pretty sure phone makers will significantly improve their update schedules.

NotBacon

Nexus 6 here running Lollipop like a dream. Bring on the Marshmallow!

My biggest hope is they move away from Java to something more modern. Dart might be a good candidate.

Hopefully Lisp or PROLOG.

But really, Java is fine. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

It's fucking awful.

Sounds like you need a factory reset, or clean flash. You dun fucked up somehow.

Somnid

Ne
Hopefully Lisp or PROLOG.

But really, Java is fine. It's not going anywhere anytime soon.

Not that I expect it to, I mean plenty of devs are still happy to use Objective-C. Though sticking to it does make a good case to go with Microsoft for those seeking ergonomics.

SimleuqiR

My Nexus 5 is smooth as butter. The battery is probably fine but the OS / apps keep eating it up during the day while the phone sits at my office desk. Wish the stanby was better. Otherwise the phone can hold it's own.

Two main reasons I'm looking forward to another LG Nexus 5:

1. Bigger battery - but this could be completely nullified by a super-pixeled screen.
  2. Google Fi - I want to give the service a try. Paying for only the data I use might save me some monies in total compared to my current T-mobile plan.

Would doing a factory reset wipe all my wifi connections etc? Just backing up photos and video now, but that sort of thing would be annoying as there are loads saved. Can you copy out the wifi 'save' file?

Hilarious, it's crashed whilst copying files over. Worst phone ever :/

Would doing a factory reset wipe all my wifi connections etc? Just backing up photos and video now, but that sort of thing would be annoying as there are loads saved. Can you copy out the wifi 'save' file?

Settings > Backup and Reset. You will see the check box for backing up data like wifi passwords.

Hold off on your complaints until after the factory reset to see if they were justified. Lollipop has significant architecture changes. It is not a normal OS upgrade.

Armadilo

Banned
So they might show off the Twitch competitor their ? rumor was that during E3 but guess they can announce it at this and then share more info at E3, If Google let's everyone have video transcoders that could be a really big move, Twitch has been really bad recently after they were bought out by Amazon. You would think Amazon would make it better but guess Amazon is riding it out since what else are you going to do.

Please googy add a clear all recent apps option

? Mine has one - I'm on a OnePlus One running CM12. Is that a CyanogenMod thing? When I hit the button to show all the open apps, there's a little icon in the upper right, sort of like the "clear all notifications" icon. Gets rid of everything.

Yeah, put me in this camp. But maybe it's a CyanogenMod thing. It works pretty much flawlessly. Amazing.

I hope they use this conference to acknowledge the mistakes with Android L and vow to do better moving into the future with Android M. It's really disappointing that a company like Google has basically stood back and refused to comment or say anything about how disastrous Lollipop has turned out to be, especially when Apple pretty quickly acknowledged the problems with iOS8, fixed them and started the iOS beta updates.

jwk94

Settings > Backup and Reset. You will see the check box for backing up data like wifi passwords.

Hold off on your complaints until after the factory reset to see if they were justified. Lollipop has significant architecture changes. It is not a normal OS upgrade.

I did both of these things and my problems weren't fixed.

Blackhead

Redarse
I hope they use this conference to acknowledge the mistakes with Android L and vow to do better moving into the future with Android M. It's really disappointing that a company like Google has basically stood back and refused to comment or say anything about how disastrous Lollipop has turned out to be, especially when Apple pretty quickly acknowledged the problems with iOS8, fixed them and started the iOS beta updates.

Lol, wut?!
iPhone 6 Plus (April 6, 2015)
Jason Snell said:
I also noticed—and Myke confirmed—that the iPhone 6 Plus’s camera appears to be buggy. I would frequently notice that the entire touchscreen became unresponsive while I was taking pictures, though I could still take them by depressing the volume-up button. And sometimes the camera preview would include strange interference patterns, briefly. Myke told me that he experiences these camera glitches too, and suspects it’s somehow related to the optical image stabilization features that are unique to the 6 Plus. (Myke’s theory is that iOS engineers at Apple may not realize how big a problem the bug might be, because they themselves probably use the more common iPhone 6.)
discoveryd Clusterfuck (May 5, 2015)
Craig Hockenberry said:
I started reporting these issues early in the Yosemite beta release and provided tons of documentation to Apple engineering. It was frustrating to have a Mac that lost its network connection every few days because the network interfaces were disabled while waking from sleep (and there was no way to disable this new “feature”.)
Regardless of the many issues people were reporting with discoveryd, Apple went ahead and released it anyway. As a result, this piece of software is responsible for a large portion of the thousand cuts.

Apple hasn't been on top of their game for a while now.

Polari

It will be interesting to see how they manage to make the battery life of my Nexus 5 even worse this time around.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Fuck, I'm gonna miss this. Stupid office summer party! Gonna have to look up the highlights afterwards I guess.

Some of those Android rumors sound nice, but I'm also really excited about Chromecast 2. I've been wanting one for a long time, but since v2 has seemed like it's been just around the corner for quite some time now I've held off. Let's hope it goes on sale right after this thing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's fucking awful.

I have none of those issues on my N5. Zero. Everything is smooth. Yeah, battery life isn't stellar, but definitely not that bad in standby.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Why not just sync with your Google account? It takes care of all of that. Photos, Wi-Fi passwords, etc. Or are you one of the "Google is evil and can't have my data" people?

Why not just sync with your Google account? It takes care of all of that. Photos, Wi-Fi passwords, etc. Or are you one of the "Google is evil and can't have my data" people?

This. My phone remembers wifi passwords from three phones ago. Get with it!

I thought that was what the other poster was hinting at with the Settings>Backup & Reset comment. That's where you do it, isn't it?

Wish I could without rooting.

Get a real phone next time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom