• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google+ |OT| A New Social Network

Symphonic

The new auto-hashtag thing is kind of amazing. I uploaded the .gif below to my feed and it automatically tagged it with #dogs. HOW?!

1vj1DPV.gif

Cause it's a gif of a dog

Fireblend

Banned
Really liking this new Google+.

Also it seems that due to the lack of activity in G+ in comparison to FB, my posts get way much more attention than usual
KuGsj.gif

SimleuqiR

http://googleplusproject.blogspot.com/2013/05/google-for-android-42.html

Everyone knows that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is 42. So in addition to last week’s 41 new features, we’re launching another major update: a brand new Android app. Here’s a quick look at the improvements in photos, location, and the stream.

It's funny they keep referencing the # 42, same with that streaming device that passed through the FCC.

What's new:

• Great photos, in less time
  • Location sharing, with just the right circles
  • More to explore, directly from the stream

So after a week or so of use, I decided the hover menu sucks. I've never really liked mouse over elements, but I wanted to give it a shot. I still can't get used to it, and it doesn't act the way a mouse intuitively should (to me). I love the visual design though.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The hover menu I could take or leave but I really dislike the shifty header that tries to be "smart" when you're scrolling up or scrolling down. It works like hell on smaller res/lower spec'd computers.

kehs

Banned
Yea, I'm not digging the redesign at all.

The hover menu...balls.

The adaptive mtop menu... balls.

The tiny "read comment" area within posts...balls.

The super small font size they chose to use.

The last one was fixed zooming in on the page at 110% zoom.

It still beats Google reader as a news feed aggregate though.

SimleuqiR

Yea, I'm not digging the redesign at all.

The hover menu...balls.

The adaptive mtop menu... balls.

The tiny "read comment" area within posts...balls.

The super small font size they chose to use.

The last one was fixed zooming in on the page at 110% zoom.

It still beats Google reader as a news feed aggregate though.

Already banned? Jees...that has to be a record.

SimleuqiR

Neither do I.

So, your entire Google Drive directory (folders, etc) loads up for you to chose from. There is an automatic filter set [pictures + videos] so nothing else shows up besides those type of files. Then you can "import" onto a specific Photos folder.

This is neat because I've been right-clicking and saving many images to my Google Drive.

One step closer to unification I guess.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This has got to be new! Right?

Just noticed this

gOOGY+dRIVE.PNG

My buddy does not have this option on his Photos account...yet.

Picasa/G+ and Drive do share the same quota, so this does make sense.

Long overdue. Plus its an easier way to sync offline pictures to G+ through Drive, than Picasa and upload selective albums. The question is whether pictures smaller than a certain size will still not count against the drive space as if they were autouploaded by a camera.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
New update coming out today:

Notifications that sync across devices, and a new Android app

Starting today, Google+ notifications are much easier to use across mobile and desktop. In particular:

- When you read a notification on one device, we'll mark it as read on your other devices
- Likewise: dismissing a notification (with a swipe or a click) does so everywhere, so you can say goodbye to annoying repeats

We've also updated the look and feel of Google+ notifications, including:

- A new bell icon (in the Google Bar, and in the mobile apps) that lets you know if anything's waiting for you
- An updated notifications tray that separates unread from previously-read items

We're rolling out these notifications improvements gradually — first on Android and the web, then on iOS. In the meantime, we're also releasing a new Android app that incorporates a lot of your feedback. For example:

- You can now delete your photos from the Photos view
- Tapping into a post shows the number of +1's, comments and reshares
- The left-hand menu design is now more consistent with other Google apps
https://plus.google.com/u/0/118170059441102440825/posts/JwvEtqpWH5k

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Woooo more consistent sidebar! Just like Music, Drive, and Gmail.

Hangouts should be updated with it too...

Looks like they're implementing a new Notification icon and card-based interface. There's a "Mark all as read" button in the upper right.

9lwAxzv.png

I wonder if the bell icon will make it's way to the mobile apps, and maybe other services.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Like: New notification dropdown is fricking fast where as the old one was fricking slow.

Dislike: Barely shows any of the text for the captions of photo posts.

Virgil Dobjanschi said:
#googleplusupdate

Google+ for Android: 5 updates you’ve been asking for

Google+ gets better when we build it together, so today's new Android app (v4.1) includes a number of highly-requested improvements. In particular:

1. Account and page switching is a lot easier
Just like Gmail for Android, you can now switch between multiple Google+ accounts with a couple of taps (vs. signing out and signing in again). And the Google+ pages you manage are likewise in the app menu at all times.

2. Google Apps for Business features are now fully supported
If your Apps administrator has enabled Google+, you can now share content publicly, with your circles, and/or with just the people in your organization. In addition: you’ll know at a glance whether someone’s profile is part of your Apps domain.

3. Google Drive photos & videos are now accessible from Google+
If you're storing photos or videos in Google Drive, you now have the option to view and share them from Google+ (on Android, and the web). Drive photos in particular will get enhanced and awesome’d automatically (see plus.google.com/photos/whatsnew).

4. Location sharing includes more controls
Starting today you can share your pinpoint or city-level location with others (if you want), and you can do so on a circle-by-circle basis. For example: you can share your pinpoint location with family, and your city-level location with co-workers. You can also use circles to filter who appears on your “Locations” map.

5. Messenger is going away, Hangouts is sticking around
Now that Hangouts provides messaging and video calls across Android, iOS and the web, we’re removing Messenger from the Google+ mobile apps (first on Android, then on iOS). Later today you'll be able to download all of your Messenger conversations (including text and photos) from Google Takeout.

The new Android app includes a handful of other updates (like pull-to-refresh), but we’ll let you discover those on your own :) It’s rolling out to Google Play over the next few days (goo.gl/xaxMx), so give it a try and let us know what you think! #googleplusupdate

https://plus.google.com/101870761930221849874/posts/HNSJByBhDin

WE IN THERE!!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tip: You can change the default capitalization, just choose "Request different name" or whatever. It'll say it will need to be approved, but if you only change the capitalization it'll be instant. Note that it doesn't actually matter which letters you type into the address bar are capitalized, but they'll be reset to whichever one it's actually set to.

For job-searching purposes, I've re-created a Google+ account.

Outside of that, what can I do or am I supposed to do with it?

It's great for sharing photos, kind of a souped-up Picasa. Some of the groups are pretty good, and if you're into Android or Google stuff there are lots individuals you can circle for interesting posts on those subjects. Beyond that you can simply use it as a fairly universal login for sites that support it.

I think it's mainly fun if:

At least one or two people you actually know in real life use it fairly heavily with you
You take a fair amount of photos
You're into science or technology
You use an Android phone

…if too many of those elements are missing, it's going to seem pointless. If all those elements are in place, it's going to seem amazing.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's great for sharing photos, kind of a souped-up Picasa. Some of the groups are pretty good, and if you're into Android or Google stuff there are lots individuals you can circle for interesting posts on those subjects. Beyond that you can simply use it as a fairly universal login for sites that support it.

I think it's mainly fun if:

At least one or two people you actually know in real life use it fairly heavily with you
You take a fair amount of photos
You're into science or technology
You use an Android phone

…if too many of those elements are missing, it's going to seem pointless. If all those elements are in place, it's going to seem amazing.

This is a pretty good sum-up of its current status. Also, quite a few sports teams and quite a few news sources use it well. So depending on your interests you may find good stuff.

kehs

Banned
End of year Auto Awesome.

Pretty cool.

Of course: many people have been saving and sharing their photos and videos on Google+ all year long. And for those select users we’ve got one more holiday gift: an #AutoAwesome year in review (I've attached mine as an example). You’ll get notified in the next week or so if you have one of these movies waiting for you.

Most importantly we want to say thank you. It’s your support and enthusiasm that make Google+ so special. And we’ll keep working to help you tell your story.

https://plus.google.com/+anilsabharwal/posts/DY2iSB7UFaP

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mine was pretty good as well.

I wonder, is there a way to manually make or edit autoawesome photos? Mainly the short gif types? Sometimes I want to add or remove a certain frame from the auto made ones.

Top Bottom