• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Reveals Pricing for First Stadia Games

Here's Android Authority's review:

One of the biggest questions about Google Stadia is how much latency games have. The controller directly connects to Google’s servers through Wi-Fi, which then relay the resulting image back to your screen. Because Stadia Pro can stream 4K gameplay up to 60fps, a lot of people have been worried about how much lag games will have.

Google recommends connections of at least 10Mbps to stream games smoothly at 720p, and I can confirm that was true during my time playing Stadia. When playing with an internet connection of 3Mbps down and 4Mbps up, the game played pretty choppily. There were times where the game felt smooth for a couple of minutes, but I would get instances of stuttering pretty frequently on a connection of that speed. At higher speeds of around 30Mbps streaming in 4K things improved but lag was still noticeable in random jolts.

Google Stadia Founder’s Edition unboxing: What do the gamers get?

I mostly played Destiny 2 and Mortal Kombat to test latency, as shooters and fighting games require very fast reaction times. For general play, the game felt good on a solid internet connection, but there was definitely a very slight amount of input delay if you’re looking for it. I’m not sure professional players would want to use Stadia as their platform of choice. At least not yet, since input delay and latency will clearly vary over time and connection stability.

Google says it may be able to reduce input delay significantly in the future through a technique called “Negative Latency.” While there have been a lot of memes around this phrase, Google is trying to undercut latency by predicting latency between the server and player. Through machine learning and a lot of data, Google thinks it can reduce latency to less than it currently exists between a console and a Bluetooth controller. While that seems exciting, we’ll have to wait until they start implementing the technique to see if it actually works.

The biggest issue I noticed on Stadia was audio delay. On Destiny 2 in particular, there was a noticeable delay between the gun firing and the sound signal coming out of my TV. For me, it wasn’t enough to pull me out of the experience, but more hardcore players may be more bothered by this. It was less noticeable on stronger connections, but if you’ve got slow internet, be prepared for some audio lag.
Lol. Lagging with a 30Mbps internet. Audio delays.

Also:

How much data does Stadia use?

When playing Stadia on my Windows PC through the Chrome browser at 720p, Stadia used between 12 and 20Mbps. In contrast, a Netflix stream used about the same amount, but Netflix can buffer content to stop streaming constantly. Because Stadia is always pulling data and can’t buffer, it will use a lot more data.
You could technically use Stadia connected to a mobile hotspot, but I’d strongly advise against it if you have a limited data plan. Playing Stadia at 720p used about 7GB per hour. My Google Fi plan costs $10/GB up to 6GB, so I would eat up my entire month’s plan in less than an hour.

In California, Comcast has a data cap of 1,000GB per month. If you played three hours per day for 30 days, you would use almost two-thirds of your data cap playing Stadia at 720p.

Lots of misinformation here.

These prices are no different than what you would see in your favorite consoles digital store.

The difference is I can stream 4k/60fps on a compatible device. Your consoles won't ever hit this performance target even after developers get used to the hardware.

If you have an above average gaming PC, you will be paying for a pro membership and will enjoy streaming Stadia games at 4k/60fps, instead of paying $400 to upgrade your graphics card and $200 to upgrade your processor.

pesaddict

Banned

Stadia Launch Games Pricing
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Gylt - $29.99
  • Just Dance 2020 - $49.99
  • Kine - $19.99
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99
  • Samurai Showdown - $59.99
  • Thumper - $19.99
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
  • Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal
Special Editions:
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

Most of these games you can get cheaper on PS4/XB and even less through the Black Friday deals going on.

giphy.gif

Ar¢tos

I guess publishers set the prices like on ps4/x1/pc and because they know Stadia is doomed from the start they don't give a fuck and just use normal launch prices.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Lol smh it didn't take long and thy went into none of the negatives like not owning your games, the lag, etc. Oh look Stadia has great pricing /s foh.

Barnabot

These prices are no different than what you would see in your favorite consoles digital store.

The difference is I can stream 4k/60fps on a compatible device. Your consoles won't ever hit this performance target even after developers get used to the hardware.

If you have an above average gaming PC, you will be paying for a pro membership and will enjoy streaming Stadia games at 4k/60fps, instead of paying $400 to upgrade your graphics card and $200 to upgrade your processor.
you saved the thread, man, you just did!

ManaByte

Gold Member

giphy.gif

Jtibh

Banned

Stadia Launch Games Pricing
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey - $59.99 $30.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Gylt - $29.99
  • Just Dance 2020 - $49.99
  • Kine - $19.99
  • Mortal Kombat 11 - $59.99 $41.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 - Launch Edition - $59.99
  • Samurai Showdown - $59.99
  • Thumper - $19.99
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider - $59.99
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider - $29.99
  • Tomb Raider 2013 - $19.99 $10.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Final Fantasy XV - $39.99 $29.99 Stadia Pro Deal
Special Editions:
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey Stadia Ultimate Edition - $119.99 - $60.00 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Mortal Kombat 11 Premium Edition - $89.99 $62.99 Stadia Pro Deal
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Special Edition - $79.99
  • Red Dead Redemption 2 Ultimate Edition - $99.99

Most of these games you can get cheaper on PS4/XB and even less through the Black Friday deals going on.

giphy.gif
🤣🤣🤣😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣😂😂😂

Let me check out my local PS Store... Tomb Raider: 4.95€, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 8.95€. These are the "bells and whistles" editions too. Oh, and I get to play them without having to worry about my net connection fucking up.

....you were saying?

If you want to play your sub-30fps Xbox and Playstation versions of games with screen tearing and artifacts that's fine.

But most people will want to play at a smooth 4k/60fps. On phones, 1440p/60fps.

The Xbox One X is your best bet and that is still crippled by a dollar store processor ironically named The Jaguar. Which means in layman's terms that 60fps is impossible.

NickFire

Check Eurogamer. Sounds like you might stream lower than 4k, and then get 4k from local upscaling. And even Eurogamer's top guy had to use a different ISP connection than his standard.

Jtibh

Banned
Not interested in the dead. I aint no medium or funeral director.
I am just here to look for this voost kain dude or what ever his name is and tell him hahahhaha you lost now take your stadisaster and fuck off for good.

Last edited:

SweetShark

With all seriousness now, why Google decided to put "normal" prices to old videogames?
Yes, I know you buy and start playing them immediately, but is there something else?

nowhat

If you want to play your sub-30fps Xbox and Playstation versions of games with screen tearing and artifacts that's fine.

ConcernedPrestigiousLacewing-small.gif

I commented on the price. And I've played both - they're either locked 30 or unlocked >30 fps, no tearing (you know, double/triple buffering is a thing). Further, there's no added input lag from streaming.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
With all seriousness now, why Google decided to put "normal" prices to old videogames?
Yes, I know you buy and start playing them immediately, but is there something else?
Unlike traditional games, buying a game from Stadia requires ongoing maintenance by Google. Data centers take power, A/C, etc and have a pretty hefty overhead. Whereas your PS4 copy of Assassin's Creed Odyssey will boot right up on your PS4 3 years from now without any additional effort on Sony's part, Google has to make sure the resources are available for your to do that with your Stadia copy if you decide to launch it sometime in 2025.

These were always going to be full price, anyone who thought otherwise was fooling themselves.

Check Eurogamer. Sounds like you might stream lower than 4k, and then get 4k from local upscaling. And even Eurogamer's top guy had to use a different ISP connection than his standard.

Eurogamer was caught streaming to sub-par hardware. Let me know when one of these gaming journalists has issues with top-of-the-line machine.

If you try streaming graphically advanced games to toasters you're going to have issues. Your HP pavilion from 2012 isn't going to work with Stadia on high settings. It will work with low settings at 720p however.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

c68a40v.gif

NickFire

Eurogamer was caught streaming to sub-par hardware. Let me know when one of these gaming journalists has issues with top-of-the-line machine.

If you try streaming graphically advanced games to toasters you're going to have issues. Your HP pavilion from 2012 isn't going to work with Stadia on high settings. It will work with low settings at 720p however.
Our time with Bungie's game on Stadia - played on the same connection during the same session as Shadow of the Tomb Raider - resulted in a 1080p experience scaled up for 4K output over the Chromecast Ultra.

spons

Gold Member

Stadia is just a video stream. Settings on their servers have jack to do with decoding that video stream locally. Google could up their game to Ludicrous Settings and it would still work when streamed at 1080p on 99.9999% of devices on the market right now.

Jtibh

Banned

My estimates suggest the average user here on this forum is at least 10 years or older.
You can feed a 5 year old with your shit but insulting everyones intelligence here should be bannable.

Have your 2 months of glory and when stadium of clowns closes down please move on.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
They are, but is the console streaming only? they are giving both options, streaming and regular download/ disc games
So is Microsoft. xCloud is being built as a complementary service, not as a replacement. Sony and MS have the right idea about this streaming stuff.

Last edited:
So. In order to enjoy the benefits of true streaming, you need to have a top-of-the-line PC.

At which point, why just not play locally?

No you only need an above average PC. This would cost you no more than $800, less than the phone you likely have in your pocket as we speak. You can then stream in 4k/60fps without spending hundreds in hardware upgrades. In the long term it saves you a lot money. If you purchase the pro membership you save even more money since you can save hundreds a month on new games.

nowhat

No you only need an above average PC. This would cost you no more than $800, less than the phone you likely have in your pocket as we speak. You can then stream in 4k/60fps without spending hundreds in hardware upgrades. In the long term it saves you a lot money. If you purchase the pro membership you save even more money since you can save hundreds a month on new games.
But according to Google, a Chromecast Ultra should be suitable for 4K/60 streaming! So... what's going on here?

NickFire

Do you really believe that you can convince us an 800 up front cost, and a monthly fee tacked on, will somehow save us hundreds of month in games. Dude, putting aside the notion that somehow we spend enough each month to save hundreds of dollars on games, have you seen the launch lineup? How can you save hundreds a month with a 12 game lineup? Pretty much all of which can be bought cheaper somewhere else.

Last edited:
But according to Google, a Chromecast Ultra should be suitable for 4K/60 streaming! So... what's going on here?

I think you misunderstood what they were saying.

Chromecast can stream 4K movies and apps, but it alone can't stream games in 4K. The servers at google streaming the game to the Chromecast are what make 4k/60fps happen, not the Chromecast alone.

NickFire

Chromecast can stream 4K movies and apps, but it alone can't stream games in 4K. The servers at google streaming the game to the Chromecast are what make 4k/60fps happen, not the Chromecast alone.
I feel like these are circular arguments somehow ending up boxed into corners.

nowhat

Yes... but Chromecast has basically no processing power at all. It's just a display device for a stream. So why would you need a +$800 PC for good Stadia streaming?

I know you won't have a rational answer, but I'm quite enjoying this.

Top Bottom