• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia games will cost the same as other consoles despite ownership concerns

mcjmetroid

Ya they did this before and I'll say the same thing.

This will kill it. There is reason why the games should be the same price WITH a subscription service charge.
It's like charging you to buy a music album with Spotify if you want to listen to it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I thought this was a given. No publisher is going to let them undercut other retailers. The selling point here, good or bad, is that you do not need to buy hardware.

Frizzie

Banned
I dislike everything this thing stands for but I also think it's good that Google are doing this. If as predicted it bombs our beloved Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are all unharmed. If it's a huge success they can all decide if they want to jump on the streaming bandwagon next gen.

Let Google take all the risk.

CeeJay

Is not for gamers...Is not for people Who don't like games.... Who's the target for stadia?
I don't think there is a target audience. I think there may have been at some point in it's development but has shifted too far away from that to make sense anymore.

Stadia "should be...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, pay the sub, start playing...

Stadia is...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, buy the starter pack, wait for the kit to arrive in the post, buy the game, search for that link again, click the link, play the game.

In reality...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, see what upfront cost and wait time is required, lose interest, go watch another video and forget Stadia exists...

Elenchus

Banned
Pay $60 for a game with 4K assets in January and pay $10 that month for a premium membership to enjoy that 4K glory on your 4K TV. Let the membership lapse for 2 months and decide you want to play the game again. Go back to Google and pay for a new membership in April to play the game in 4K again? This is nuts. Why didn't they just release a cheap weak console with 4K upscaling?

This feels rushed. They're going to have rethink this. They can't launch it like this unless they want a Hindenburg-level disaster.

nikolino840

I don't think there is a target audience. I think there may have been at some point in it's development but has shifted too far away from that to make sense anymore.

Stadia "should be...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, pay the sub, start playing...

Stadia is...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, buy the starter pack, wait for the kit to arrive in the post, buy the game, search for that link again, click the link, play the game.

In reality...
see a youtuber, advert, streamer doing something cool, click the link, see what upfront cost and wait time is required, lose interest, go watch another video and forget Stadia exists...

So you Say Is Just for youtubers and their followers?

I was interested in getting one as a curio, but following Google’s management over their social media, their ability to drop services quicker than EA, and this?

Im out.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
60fps full hd seems like an ok deal.
Just get the games on a sale.

Cant imagine google not matching other sellers when the games drop in price.

=

Dirt cheap collection with almost no cost for hardware.

Pay $60 for a game with 4K assets in January and pay $10 that month for a premium membership to enjoy that 4K glory on your 4K TV. Let the membership lapse for 2 months and decide you want to play the game again. Go back to Google and pay for a new membership in April to play the game in 4K again? This is nuts. Why didn't they just release a cheap weak console with 4K upscaling?

This feels rushed. They're going to have rethink this. They can't launch it like this unless they want a Hindenburg-level disaster.
Isn't Google supposed to be a hub for some of the smartest people in the world?
How could they get it so wrong.
Ah, but what did either of you expect Google to actually do to begin with?

How cheap did you two thought it was suppose to be?

You really think Google is going to offer you console games at a massive discount, and with huge expenditure each time someone log in to play a game?

This just reminded me of the Disc-less Xbox1S AD. Where people mistakenly believe MS would somehow sell it at a loss for no reason just because it was an inferior product.

A bad product might be less valuable to you, but it doesn't mean it would be cheaper to produce. Streaming is expensive, and someone somewhere has to pay for it. And in this case the user has to pay through the nose.

CeeJay

So you Say Is Just for youtubers and their followers?
It's not really the point I was trying to make, more that it should be aimed squarely at casuals who don't want to invest upfront in hardware, don't care about a bit of latency or artifacts but just want to be part of the latest "next big thing" that they see on social media, youtube or by word of mouth and want it right now, instantly, no waiting, impulse buy with a small transaction. More hardcore gamers who are more likely to invest a large amount of money in their hobby would always choose native hardware and be more inclined to do larger single transactions on new games.

I suppose I am trying to say that Stadia is not playing to it's strengths and is not targeting the audience who fits best with the model they have.

Last edited:
It's not really the point I was trying to make, more that it should be aimed squarely at casuals who don't want to invest upfront in hardware, don't care about a bit of latency or artifacts but just want to be part of the latest "next big thing" that they see on social media, youtube or by word of mouth and want it right now, instantly, no waiting, impulse buy with a small transaction. More hardcore gamers who are more likely to invest a large amount of money in their hobby would always choose native hardware and be more inclined to do larger single transactions on new games.

I suppose I am trying to say that Stadia is not playing to it's strengths and is not targeting the audience who fits best with the model they have.
The audience you are asking Google to Target, are not willing to pay the high price of game streaming.

Low price and game streaming are mutually exclusive. The fact that so many still don't understand this, is baffling. Streaming games is costly and thus not going to ever be impulse buy.

Javthusiast

Banned
Even if it would work for me, I would never buy full priced stadia games until the service has been out for years, proved to be popular and not on the verge of being shut down by google.

Although I don't buy full priced games on consoles either, always weeks later for way less or if at launch, then physical to sell later.

Phil Harrison, one of the many tools this industry has had. Ever noticed that many of these men dress casually these days, thinking that by showing up in that kinda apparel we (unconsciously) identify with them? "Look, it's cool and trendy to side with our thoroughly corporate entity, you're safe, you're at home".

nikolino840

Phil Harrison, one of the many tools this industry has had. Ever noticed that many of these men dress casually these days, thinking that by showing up in that kinda apparel we (unconsciously) identify with them? "Look, it's cool and trendy to side with our thoroughly corporate entity, you're safe, you're at home".
Are you talking about Spencer?

CeeJay

The audience you are asking Google to Target, are not willing to pay the high price of game streaming.

Low price and game streaming are mutually exclusive. The fact that so many still don't understand this, is baffling. Streaming games is costly and thus not going to ever be impulse buy.

So you reduce the cost to something that is an impulse buy and also reduce the product to fit into that envelope. Maybe instead of allowing all games to be included in a sub, just have various vertical slices from all those brand new games included but if you want the full game you buy it. Google have spoken about how a Youtuber will be able to record their gameplay and then let people jump in to that portion by clicking a link. It's not always a 1:1 relationship between cost of implementation to revenue. Think about all those free versions of apps that allow you to use the cool and costly aspects of them but remove an essential yet easy to develop feature such as save or the option to select more than one of something.

JCK75

I don't want to rent my games and be left with nothing when i decide to not renew my subscription.

You buy the game it's yours, the subscription is ONLY if you want 4K streaming rather than 1080.
I can understand not wanting to stream games, but it being digital only is the concern I don't get.
if you purchased a game digitally on PS3/Xbox 360 what became of them when PS4/Xbox One came out?
I find the Stadia model to be an upside since the games stay playable generation to generation and you don't have to keep buying new platforms.
it's not for everyone but I do believe there is a market for people who would like to buy a few games and not need $500 consoles every 5 years to keep up. Personally I think it would be more successful if they had a more affordable model such as actually renting a game for week at a low price, or more of a netflix style all you care to play service.

nowhat

Dirt cheap collection with almost no cost for hardware.
And what happens when Google decides to close the service, how's that collection looking then?

I can't be arsed to list all the products/services that Google has launched and subsequently killed with little fanfare, but they are plentiful.

Agent X

I was expecting that the games for Stadia would be similarly priced. Developers still have to invest the same amount of effort into development as they would for PC or console games.

The real obstacle here is that they don't have any options other than streaming. "Purchasing" a game on Stadia doesn't entitle you to receive the game in a physical or downloadable format.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And what happens when Google decides to close the service, how's that collection looking then?

I can't be arsed to list all the products/services that Google has launched and subsequently killed with little fanfare, but they are plentiful.
Prolly you can download the game.
What will happen to netflix when y
What will happen to spoitfy when x

Blablablabla you don’t own it.

The games i really like on gamepass i still buy in a sale so i “own” it.
I don’t get all this drama

Nero_PR

Banned
Imagine paying more and not owning your games anyway. Sign me out of this mess. Google Stadia will be dead on arrival with how many cons it has: Subscription based service + buying games at full price + latency + they sell the 4k promise but streaming 4k is leagues below real 4k + not owning your games + if your subscription expires you can't play the games you bought in the service + ONLINE ONLY. The most fearful thing is that I don't hold a candle expecting Google to not jump the boat if things don't seem good enough or profitable in the long term.

People have been paying full price (even when physical is cheaper) on PSN and Xbox Live just so they don't have to get their fat cans off the couch to throw a disc in. Don't be surprised if this doesn't hurt them as much as we all might think.
Except currently Streaming is already inferior to downloading from PSN. Game streaming is NOT convenient.

Basically, most of the things that Game Streaming is suppose to be good for, don't actually exist anywhere but in theory.

Hostile_18

Banned
All this to get out of paying for a console straight up.

It's painful to see Google making such decisions. If they had made it like Gamepass/Netflix and leveraged their brand name and finance they could of made so much money. As time has shown again and again;

Convenience and price are king.

All this to get out of paying for a console straight up.

It's painful to see Google making such decisions. If they had made it like Gamepass/Netflix and leveraged their brand name and finance they could of made so much money. As time has shown again and again;

Convenience and price are king.
What money? Where is the money? Who is going to pay for all the hardware in server farms across the world?

if you mean cutting the price of entry, if you cut that you end up losing any and all money you could have made.

Let's say in theory, that Google makes 30% profit out of all of Stadia customer money. If Google decide to lower their price by 10%, they would cut their profits by a third and that 10% discount is NOT going to increase their subscribers by 1/3rd.

Discounting needed to lead to profits somehow, and Streaming doesn't yet have a way to do that.

ShaneDH

Neo Member
That quote just confirms I will never get Stadia and the ambiguity on ownership is the icing on top!

Isn't Google supposed to be a hub for some of the smartest people in the world?
How could they get it so wrong.

On the technical side, I'm certain they have more than their fair share of literal geniuses.

The people making the decisions however are in marketing and sales, as well as the share holders, most of whome are short sighted, greedy, irrational, completely out of touch with real people and quite often actual sociopaths.

On the technical side, I'm certain they have more than their fair share of literal geniuses.

The people making the decisions however are in marketing and sales, as well as the share holders, most of whome are short sighted, greedy, irrational, completely out of touch with real people and quite often actual sociopaths.
Let me ask you then; what do you expect Google to do, and how do you propose they make money out of Stadia? Because what they are doing right now is NOT out of greed, but the financial reality that Game Streaming as a platform basically burns money to make money.

How cheap do you want Stadia gaming to be, describe the pricing you want, and we will see if it is remotely realistic that Google ever see the business break even.

ethomaz

Banned
Yes, but not at full price. I don't see what the possible value proposition is here. What happens when Google dumps Stadia in two years? Everything you "bought" will be gone. I think some people would be willing to give it a go if the games were 40% - 50% cheaper or something. Unless Google is REALLY going to beef up the games included with the sub ala Game Pass, I don't see how this is going to work - sub for full quality required AND full priced games that you don't own. It's going to be a tough sell.
Well that is the same for any digital platform.

What will happen to your digital purchases after Live, PSN, Steam, etc goes down?

You don't buy the game... you buy a license to use the game while the service is online.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Don't expect people who have no interest in gaming to understand what's important to people who do.

Google has no interest in gaming, its just another frontier to monetize. They are basically banking on the ubiquity of YT to back their play. No doubt they'll start showering select influencer's with free codes and let them virally market it for them.

Hostile_18

Banned
What money? Where is the money? Who is going to pay for all the hardware in server farms across the world?

if you mean cutting the price of entry, if you cut that you end up losing any and all money you could have made.

Let's say in theory, that Google makes 30% profit out of all of Stadia customer money. If Google decide to lower their price by 10%, they would cut their profits by a third and that 10% discount is NOT going to increase their subscribers by 1/3rd.

Discounting needed to lead to profits somehow, and Streaming doesn't yet have a way to do that.

How is gamepass profitable then? If needs be make the subscription higher, just charge a single price point. Keep it simple, keep it easy.

nowhat

What will happen to netflix when y
What will happen to spoitfy when x
The difference being, for Netflix*) and Spotify, streaming is their core business. Stadia is pretty much a vanity project for Google, it can be killed on a whim.

*) yes, I'm aware of the DVD rentals - no, I don't think they're that substantial anymore

Last edited:

LordRaptor

Console - you pay for:
- electricty (edit: optional if going physical only)

How the fuck are electricity bills for a console 'optional'?

e:
Google are either slacking on getting the gamespress to understand their business model, the gamespress are being their usual stupid selves, or google don't give a fuck about the gamespress, because the amount of disinformation and FUD in topics about stadia is mind blowing when all you have to do is watch the fucking presentation and it explains exactly how it works.

Its not a rental service, its a streaming service for digital sales.
It is exactly the same model as buying - not renting, not subscribing to a subscription service - a digital film or TV show, from one of the many storefronts that offer that service.
You own a digital copy of that film, and it is streamed to you; you do not need to buy a physical disk and a physical disk player.

Last edited:

Domisto

Just to be clear, it costs the same as a full price console but you don't own anything.

aIq4KVl.gif

How is gamepass profitable then? If needs be make the subscription higher, just charge a single price point. Keep it simple, keep it easy.
Gamepass is profitable because Microsoft doesn't pay the costs to run the games in the player's machines. The subscriber of Gamepass paid for the hardware and the electricity that runs it.

Doesn't matter if you have the entire planet subscribed to your service, if on average it costs more to maintain the service than the money it brings.

Top Bottom