• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia games will cost the same as other consoles despite ownership concerns

Dynasty8

Already pre-ordered Founders Edition, I have no regrets at all. Worst case scenario, I just bought a Chromecast ultra + controller that I can sell.

It'll come with Destiny 2 complete. I play that often. This won't be my "replacement" to consoles, but just an alternative.

That being said, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with a shitty internet connection or data caps. I'm lucky to not have that problem. I'll give Stadia a fair shot and decide if latency will be an issue or not. Not jumping on the hate bandwagon like everyone else.

DavJay

I don’t know about this. Seems it should be cheaper. I wouldn’t be interested as an average consumer. Especially when other options are available like physical media exist as with digital from other big companies.

I thought it was gonna be like a Netflix thing
It can't. Streaming games cost a lot of money to maintain. Google has to give out hardware access in their servers every time you use it, and that is not free. Not the same as just streaming video.

Netflix had always been a bad example, but people ignored it because they can't tell the difference.

Already pre-ordered Founders Edition, I have no regrets at all. Worst case scenario, I just bought a Chromecast ultra + controller that I can sell.

It'll come with Destiny 2 complete. I play that often. This won't be my "replacement" to consoles, but just an alternative.

That being said, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with a shitty internet connection or data caps. I'm lucky to not have that problem. I'll give Stadia a fair shot and decide if latency will be an issue or not. Not jumping on the hate bandwagon like everyone else.

Yeah, even though I talk a lot about how I think it is going to fail because Google won't likely give it enough time to get traction, I pre-ordered it as well simply because I want to see first hand how well it works (much I like initially bought PSNow when it first launched).

I honestly don't know if I will continue the sub past the initial 3 months, but I might. I am certain that I won't actually purchase any games there, but I will play the "free" games for however long I keep my sub. If it turns out to be bad, or if Google's newly more fiscally conservative board kills it quickly, then I'll have a Chromecast Ultra that I'll put in a bedroom that currently doesn't have a streaming device.

Game streaming technologies interest me - I have an Nvidia Shield that I stream games from my Steam library (using GeForce NOW) and it surprisingly works REALLY well. I have test driven every streaming service out there at some point (and most have been pretty bad honestly). A LONG time ago, I was a network engineer (think nearly 20 years ago), and I honestly never thought any of this would be possible back then. So even though there's a lot of room for progress, where we are is pretty amazing (on the technology side).

Last edited:

MayauMiao

I just don't know how one can sit well paying a $60 game, then having to pay subscription fee on a monthly basis, on top of that paying high Internet fee for high speed Internet while hoping the streaming performance won't cause issues, just to get the best gaming experience?

Fuck all that.

Cato

Banned
... The value you get from the game on Stadia means you can play it on any screen in your life,' ...

Except the only place you have enough uncapped bandwidth is your internet connection in your home.
So all these screens are really just that one big TV where your other consoles are hooked up.

Question. Googles Project Fi, do they still charge 10$/GB of data?

Hahaha. I guess they don't really expect much cross-pollination between Stadia and Fi. :cool:

Keihart

It can't. Streaming games cost a lot of money to maintain. Google has to give out hardware access in their servers every time you use it, and that is not free. Not the same as just streaming video.

Netflix had always been a bad example, but people ignored it because they can't tell the difference.
Isn't PSNow basically a Netflix type of deal? You also use Network resources when using Netflix btw, that's why it's not free lol.

Mass Shift

0b0.jpg

bukowski81

Seems that im alone in here but Stadia sounds like a great deal to me.

Right now I only have a PS4, there have been a couple X Box One exclusives that I want to play but I havent because buying a console just for a couple of exclusives is not worth it for me. With Stadia, if it has an exclusive that I want to play, you just buy the game and that's it. No monthly fee or harware required (maybe a chromecast, not sure if it is required), just pay the game and you can play it at 1080p and 60fps, of course assuming you already own a pc or a tv and an internet connection. Which honestly, everybody that is interested in gaming already has that.

baphomet

Seems that im alone in here but Stadia sounds like a great deal to me.

Right now I only have a PS4, there have been a couple X Box One exclusives that I want to play but I havent because buying a console just for a couple of exclusives is not worth it for me. With Stadia, if it has an exclusive that I want to play, you just buy the game and that's it. No monthly fee or harware required (maybe a chromecast, not sure if it is required), just pay the game and you can play it at 1080p and 60fps, of course assuming you already own a pc or a tv and an internet connection. Which honestly, everybody that is interested in gaming already has that.

Sure, if you have extremely good internet and don't mind laggy controls with garbage video quality then it's a great way to buy a game for a year or two until it gets shuts down.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I’m all in!! Goodbye consoles and PCs!!

Three

Yes, but not at full price. I don't see what the possible value proposition is here. What happens when Google dumps Stadia in two years? Everything you "bought" will be gone. I think some people would be willing to give it a go if the games were 40% - 50% cheaper or something. Unless Google is REALLY going to beef up the games included with the sub ala Game Pass, I don't see how this is going to work - sub for full quality required AND full priced games that you don't own. It's going to be a tough sell.
What stops google from having a store where you can download your PC games, stream them for free on 1080p devices like mobiles and tablets and stream them to 4k devices with a subscription? Sounds like a better deal than most to me and I don't need to pay to play online.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

A false equivalency. People paid $60 for a digital copy of a single player game with 4K assets and played it in 4K with no additional costs just as they would if the bought a physical copy at GameStop.

Stadia is charging $60 for that same game and putting the 4K version of the game behind a $10/month paywall.

Except they didn’t gain anything in doing so, save the convenience of not having to go to the store or stop eating Cheetos long enough to throw a disc in. And again, they usually pay a higher price than the physical copy. Want an example? Right now, The Crash Team Racing remaster is $59.99 on PSN while the physical copy can be had for $39.99 at Best Buy, Amazon, and others.

It’s not a false equivalency when there is an established trend of gamers allowing themselves to be screwed. In this case, people are willing to pay over 30 percent more JUST for the privilege of not having to put a disc in, which makes me think they’ll behave just as stupidly perhaps with Stadia too.i mean, if you’re dumb enough to pay upwards of twice as much for a game, why worry about having to pay an additional $10 to access the overpriced digital game you already bought?

Last edited:
What stops google from having a store where you can download your PC games, stream them for free on 1080p devices like mobiles and tablets and stream them to 4k devices with a subscription? Sounds like a better deal than most to me and I don't need to pay to play online.

Yes, if there was a way to download your purchases, then I wouldn't have any issues at all with the business model. As it currently is though, it just doesn't make much sense to purchase Stadia games at traditional retail pricing.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
This would be if Netflix charges you full price for the movie but you could only watch it on Netflix if you subscribed.

If Stadia is going this route with full price games that you only own virtually and charges a sub fee with online only play. I cannot see any reason what so ever for me to get interested.

If you buy a game full price you should own it. Not have it locked behind an online only shop.
It’s a no from me

Cato

Banned

Eh, the publishers would stop that plan?

I mean, on platform A, B , C they can charge the players 60$.
Why on earth would they decide "on platform D you pay a lot less, or it is free even".

That makes no fucking sense.

The whole game is NOT to make a better deal for YOU. No company works that way.
The whole deal is how to make you pay MORE for your gaming. You pay full price for the game, then you pay the monthly streaming
fee for the privilege to pay that game you just bought.

Last edited:

Three

This would be if Netflix charges you full price for the movie but you could only watch it on Netflix if you subscribed.

If Stadia is going this route with full price games that you only own virtually and charges a sub fee with online only play. I cannot see any reason what so ever for me to get interested.

If you buy a game full price you should own it. Not have it locked behind an online only shop.
It’s a no from me
You can play it without a subscription.
Eh, the publishers would stop that plan?

I mean, on platform A, B , C they can charge the players 60$.
Why on earth would they decide "on platform D you pay a lot less, or it is free even".

That makes no fucking sense.

The whole game is NOT to make a better deal for YOU. No company works that way.
The whole deal is how to make you pay MORE for your gaming. You pay full price for the game, then you pay the monthly streaming
fee for the privilege to pay that game you just bought.
What? They confirmed it is free to stream your bought games. The subscription is if you want 4k/60fps streaming. Why would the publishers stop that plan when you are buying their games?

Last edited:

LordRaptor

What? They confirmed it is free to stream your bought games. The subscription is if you want 4k/60fps streaming. Why would the publishers stop that plan when you are buying their games?

For all of the talk about how streaming games is so terrible nobody would ever want to do it and how DOA this is, it seems like a lot of people also outright just want to invent shit thats obviously not true or is straight up tinfoil hats to try and make it look worse.

If it was such an obviously terrible idea and such an obviously terrible deal, people wouldn't have to invent shit to try and make it sound worse with FUD, would they?

PocoJoe

Banned
On any screen?

Why would average gamer have to play from any other screen than their living/gaming room tv?

Playing on the go isnt a thing apart from japan and some crazy places whete commute takes longer than 5-30mins.

Portability of switch is even worthless to many players, so whom would need to have this laggy stream on the go, or when visiting parents etc

longdi

Banned
Do you want to pay annually for Office 365 or just buy the standalone and upgrade 5 years later?
Thats how Stadia looks to me.

The more i hear of it, the less the threat to PS5 imo.
But then again, i guessed PS4 will get decimated by Xbox and mobile games, bet against me?

Bryank75

Banned
You can play it without a subscription.

You can stream games from your PS4 already to any android or ios device, DS4 support is out next month....
So if you have a PS4, you can stream your huge catalog of games you already own, you get games for free every month if you pay for PSPlus and when PS5 comes out you can trade in your PS4 / Pro to get a large discount.....

Then you can add all the new exclusives and major third party games to your collection that you can keep forever and still stream to anywhere with a wifi connection. So it is better than Stadia in every conceivable way.

Plus PlayStation has Trophies, films, netflix and loads of other stuff that you can also stream to any location.

Last edited:

bukowski81

Sure, if you have extremely good internet and don't mind laggy controls with garbage video quality then it's a great way to buy a game for a year or two until it gets shuts down.

So all you have are assumptions. Of course if it has laggy controls and garbage video quality it will suck,. Where are talking here about the pricing model, which is great if the product works as it is supposed to work i.e. no input lag and great video quality.

baphomet

So all you have are assumptions. Of course if it has laggy controls and garbage video quality it will suck,. Where are talking here about the pricing model, which is great if the product works as it is supposed to work i.e. no input lag and great video quality.

What makes you think I'm assuming. I, and many others have used this. Even in their ideal conditions there was tons of lag and shitty compression artifacts.

All this talk of ownership... You know you will be dead one day and it will mean nothing right?
In that case, Google has no need to create Stadia since they have no need to own a game streaming service that would one day cease to be. You are not being clever, consumers have the right to choose what to consume. You can't tell us to hand over our money by your post.

game_nomad

In Steam if you buy a game and then it gets pulled down for some political reason, you still can download and play it. And this happens all the time, I have like 30+ good games that you cannot buy any more. It is not the same as owning a hard copy, of course, but it is pretty close. I believe the same applies for Gog, but since Gog deals primarily with retros / indies, they are much less likely to be pulled down. I never lost a game on Gog either

As far as I know on Stadia this question has been primarily avoided. On top of that there will be at least some minor latency. If you are in a region where you can afford solid 100 Mbps connection and no download cap to steam the game, chances are maybe you can just buy the game. My point is not that Stadia is bad, but I do not see the demographic that would prefer streaming over the alternative? Maybe very casual players that want convenience over performance?

LordRaptor

In Steam if you buy a game and then it gets pulled down for some political reason, you still can download and play it. And this happens all the time, I have like 30+ good games that you cannot buy any more. It is not the same as owning a hard copy, of course, but it is pretty close. I believe the same applies for Gog, but since Gog deals primarily with retros / indies, they are much less likely to be pulled down. I never lost a game on Gog either

As far as I know on Stadia this question has been primarily avoided. On top of that there will be at least some minor latency. If you are in a region where you can afford solid 100 Mbps connection and no download cap to steam the game, chances are maybe you can just buy the game. My point is not that Stadia is bad, but I do not see the demographic that would prefer streaming over the alternative? Maybe very casual players that want convenience over performance?

I can see the proposition of PC level gaming but with no upfront cost, no technical expertise requirement or risk of hardware malfunction, and no upgrade cycle pros being attractive enough to offset the always online / input lag / bandwidth requirements cons if its handled well.

I mean, you consider 'performance' to be in terms of input delays and frame timings, when time and time again what the majority of people are talking about when they talk about 'most powerful' and 'performance' is literally just graphical features and how good something looks.

Last edited:

Tumle

I can really only see, streaming for games, work like streaming for any other entertainment product and that’s with a subscription model ala game pass.

then maybe paying a reduced price for the game when it goes out of rotation, to be able to continue playing it..

Last edited:
Console - you pay for:

- console (once)
- electricty (edit: optional if going physical only)
- internet connection
- tv/monitor
- games (wich you own and can resell)

Stadia - you pay for:

- electricity (unsless mobile only and steal charge power from public)
- internet connection
- tv/monitor (unless mobile only)
- monthly pay
- full priced games which you don't own and can't resell

Am I correct?

This thing is a joke, I hope it fucking tanks.

How can anyone like this. Doesn’t even make sense. You use electricity even if you use physical discs. And Streaming is way cheaper energy wise then running a system locally. Never mind monthly pay is optional.

Also this is going to be everyone was wrong: the thread. Everyone in my family would get this over a PS5. All my sisters just play Detroit: Become Human, Knowledge is power, until dawn, Jackbox games, etc. They wouldn’t notice the difference. Other wise nobody would touch a Nintendo Switch.

In that case, Google has no need to create Stadia since they have no need to own a game streaming service that would one day cease to be. You are not being clever, consumers have the right to choose what to consume. You can't tell us to hand over our money by your post.

Then choose not to use it and stop coming across as a bunch of whining children.

LordRaptor

I am speechless. I am not sure it is worth asking you to explain your reasoning, because to even say that means we are from different planets.

He's right though.
PS4 / X1 are fucking power hogs even in "standby" mode, and they both require remote server farms to enable their function (patching, multiplayer, messaging).
Even if you remove the necessity of those server farms for modern consoles (which would be a lie), and assume that PS5 Nextbox are super energy efficient and are down to Switch / mobile level power drain (which would be another lie) you're still trying to say cars are better for the environment than buses, because a car is smaller.

That’s fantastic deal!
$120 a year ($600 a generation) for priviledge of playing normal priced games with extra input lag and lowered, unstable image quality.

llien

So let me get this straight...

1. $10 a month so I can potentially stream at 4K, 60 frames and surround sound
2. Reknown latency
3. Can't even play on all supported device like the claim since I'm an android user

And now you have the audacity to tell me I gotta pay full price for games I won't ever truly own?

STOP SMOKING BIG DOPE, PHILLIP! FUCK OUTTA HERE MEATBALL!

I am from skeptics as well, but you might be bending it too far.

1. You pay $10 a month only if you are after "premium" 4k yadayada experience, 1080p is free. And if you wonder, why the heck do it, the answer is not to have to pay for hardware, keep upgrading it, you would even save on power consumption (in most parts of EU 1kWh is about 25-35 cents)
2. No escaping it, although I had internet connection good enough for 4k Stadia for at least a decade by now.
3. Chromecast pushing is annoying. Most modern TVs would be able to support it natively, for starters, and I'd rather stick with my Fire Stick, thank you for your inferior overpriced product, google. But again, this can get better.

I think the major issue here is, as DigitalScrap DigitalScrap mentioned, what will happen if Google decides to pull the plug on the project? So far they do not seem to be serious about anything, but their core search/ads business.

Top Bottom