• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia is a lonely place

Paasei

The only positive thing it had going for it was convenience. I can't think of anything else that doesn't have a (massive) counterweight as a negative.

A solution to a problem that didn't exist.
There was certainly a problem; that of game studios not being able to fully kill off single player games and used games. Stadia solves that problem by granting game studios the power to kill off access to a game you already bought, to force you to buy the sequel.

The issue is, this is a problem for the publisher, not the customer. So the customer has no reason to participate.

ToadMan

Stadia, or something like it is the future though.

People laughed at the idea of live steaming TV quality data back in the 90s. During the dotcom boom companies offered all kinds of ideas and services that the technology of the time couldn’t handle and many of them failed.

2 decades later and free to air TV is an afterthought on its last legs compared to Netflix and the other streaming Platforms.

When the the technology is genuinely ready people will ditch their consoles and gaming PCs in an instant. But until then it’s a tough slog for the pioneers of the service.

Grinchy

Banned

People laughed at the idea of live steaming TV quality data back in the 90s. During the dotcom boom companies offered all kinds of ideas and services that the technology of the time couldn’t handle and many of them failed.

2 decades later and free to air TV is an afterthought on its last legs compared to Netflix and the other streaming Platforms.

When the the technology is genuinely ready people will ditch their consoles and gaming PCs in an instant. But until then it’s a tough slog for the pioneers of the service.
I just wonder how the technology can "be ready."

The speed of light is not being broken, and that's the limitation. When you press a button on your controller and then send that to a server which then processes it on its hardware and sends back the response to you, the fastest that back-and-forth communication can take place is the speed of light, right?

So how do you ever eliminate the game-breaking input lag (which is what makes the service pointless) outside of having servers within miles of every single person?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Being able to click and instantly play your favorite game without worrying about graphics drivers, Windows updates, clunky console interfaces, or huge downloads is a genuine transformation for gaming.

I seriously and honestly can't remember the last time any of this occupied my mind, even noticed. "Genuine transformation for gaming"..? Eh..

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Gold Member
I've a founders edition or whatever tf it's called. Was thinking about firing it up. Am fortunate to have 1gb dl speed now. My question is, is anyone playing it and have resolutions higher than 1080p been implemented?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've a founders edition or whatever tf it's called. Was thinking about firing it up. Am fortunate to have 1gb dl speed now. My question is, is anyone playing it and have resolutions higher than 1080p been implemented?
Yes for the "Pro" tier, but no because Coronavirus. Netflix throttled their streams down to 1080p so as not to break the internet when everyone was home from work, and Google did the same with Stadia.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gamers got sick and tired of lag you can call it oNlive 2.

onlive-controller-963x675.jpg

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
What's wrong with it? I was just considering it for my amplifier to add BT connectivity.

Nothing they are amazing I have 4. Its just one of those things that Google discontinued.

Its not BT though, its bascially a wifi puck that you control with your phone. It receives its own wifi signal though and its not BT so its not mirroring your phone sound. Quality a lot better than BT.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Yes for the "Pro" tier, but no because Coronavirus. Netflix throttled their streams down to 1080p so as not to break the internet when everyone was home from work, and Google did the same with Stadia.

Thanks! Welp, didn't tear into the box just yet so I'll hold off. Was hoping for at least 2k resolution. 1080p is a bit much in terms of lost fidelity, details, shadows, etc. i think. Google should at least kick it up to 2k see how it goes.

Edit: GAF needs a "Thank you" emote

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Written by Tom Warren. Trash.

Expect later for an article to come around saying "Xcloud, the future Google promised and Microsoft delivered."

XCloud won't have the problem he's detailing though?

Whether you think Tom Warren is some xbox fanboy or not, the article is pointing out Stadia doesn't have the player base for multiplayer games to thrive. XCloud will have whatever the XBox version of a game's playerbase to back it up.

So something like Destiny 2.
Stadia: 9.6k
Xbox: 291k

Players playing yesterday for example.

More games becoming crossplay should help though.

Last edited:

A.Romero

I'd be surprised if Stadia can be rescued.... The hype has died down, it is obvious that games are affected by technology constraints... If it's not showing great numbers right now it will never do it (everyone is at home, 2 months free trial, compatible with more devices)...

The infrastructure is not ready for this tech. It might never be. It's just not good enough for gaming.

.Pennywise

Banned
So just like people called it before it was launched, if it didn't print money from day 1, Google wouldn't give proper support to it. And here we are.

nkarafo

Nah. people will still care about ownership and preservation in the future.

The music/movie industry gets away with it because there was never an implication that streaming will completely replace buying/owning a copy of a movie or an album. But the game industry has made their intentions about them having full control over your game collections and the death of ownership crystal clear.

I disagree. Well, how far into the future are we talking? I don't see compression artifacts going anywhere anytime soon, or input latency issues. More importantly, A LOT of people are still stuck with monthly data caps. I have a hard time seeing streaming taking over as a PRIMARY method of gaming for quite awhile

At least as V Voost Kain breathes, you will never be alone on Stadia

Gamernyc78

Banned
I didnt get stadia but I resubbed to my Psnow. Stadia is something we didn't need. Both offerings from competitors will get better fidelity soon enough.

Last edited:

Zero7

I wish a quick death on any company that tries to take away consumer rights, I was happy when MS got bit hard on the ass when they tried the same shit.

Let Stadia fail, fuck that shit and fuck all the shills that bought into it. You've lost both your game's and money when Google inevitably pulls the plug.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
The pricing structure is also crazy. It cost more per game than any other platform. Right now I would be wary of google just saying screw the project and shutting it down. Then all the digital purchases are lost. In my opinion, it was dead on Arrival. Poor marketing (most still don't know what it is), Bad pricing, lack of any kind of good original content, etc. I predict it to be shut down in less than 2 years. Looks like onlive 2.0

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
XCloud won't have the problem he's detailing though?

Whether you think Tom Warren is some xbox fanboy or not, the article is pointing out Stadia doesn't have the player base for multiplayer games to thrive. XCloud will have whatever the XBox version of a game's playerbase to back it up.

So something like Destiny 2.
Stadia: 9.6k
Xbox: 291k

Players playing yesterday for example.

More games becoming crossplay should help though.
I'd argue that it's actually a lot worse than that. Stadia is a lonely place because it doesn't have basic multiplayer features we've all grown accustomed to on other platforms. If you're like me, you've got a sizable list of contacts already in Google - none of which carry over onto the Stadia service. I've also got a lot of friends linked in Google Play Games (Android) that also don't show up in Stadia - meaning signing up for a new Stadia account leaves you with a friends list that is absolutely blank even if you already have connections through Google elsewhere. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised they even have the ability to add friends / social stuff at all.

The biggest social draw for me (as a predominantly single player gamer) is the ability to compare achievements / trophies / gamer score with others. Well guess what? Stadia doesn't have an achievement system. At all. They've gone full Nintendo. Never go full Nintendo when it comes to online anything.

Finally, they initially promised Youtube integration for Stadia that has simply failed to materialize. One of the ecosystem's "killer apps" (as it were) was going to be the ability to jump in to multiplayer games directly with people live-streaming on Youtube directly from the Youtube interface without having to jump through a bunch of hoops outside of purchasing. Or the ability to record your best run and have others instantly boot up a game and challenge your high score or whatever. None of this exists yet, and may have just been vaporware from the beginning.

Including these promised features, console cross play, and an achievement system would go a really long way towards making Stadia feel less lonely.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
I play Destiny 2 with my nephew all the time...works great!

*edits to 'splain myself"

We chat on discord and play games together a bunch. He has a switch and a chromebook he uses for distance learning and destiny 2 plays great that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom