• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia is a lonely place

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Whoever at the company greenlit the Google Stadium project def needs to be thrown into the city dump along with rest of the inventory collecting dust in stores.

jakinov

I think Stadia will shine more next-gen. There's a lot of more "casual hardcore" players who might not want to buy a new console right away and who might say buy the next GTA or Fifa on Stadia instead of putting hundreds of dollars upfront for a console. Also as Google releases more exclusives games and third parties release their timed-exclusives the service should get more traction. How much traction we will have to see. But so far they released a lot of old games, don't have all the promised features in place and a shit ton of people already have consoles.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Just another failed Google product. Stick it in the corner with Google Wave. Seriously, Google are now really only an ad company. And not a very good one.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'd argue that it's actually a lot worse than that. Stadia is a lonely place because it doesn't have basic multiplayer features we've all grown accustomed to on other platforms. If you're like me, you've got a sizable list of contacts already in Google - none of which carry over onto the Stadia service. I've also got a lot of friends linked in Google Play Games (Android) that also don't show up in Stadia - meaning signing up for a new Stadia account leaves you with a friends list that is absolutely blank even if you already have connections through Google elsewhere. To be honest, I'm kind of surprised they even have the ability to add friends / social stuff at all.

The biggest social draw for me (as a predominantly single player gamer) is the ability to compare achievements / trophies / gamer score with others. Well guess what? Stadia doesn't have an achievement system. At all. They've gone full Nintendo. Never go full Nintendo when it comes to online anything.

Finally, they initially promised Youtube integration for Stadia that has simply failed to materialize. One of the ecosystem's "killer apps" (as it were) was going to be the ability to jump in to multiplayer games directly with people live-streaming on Youtube directly from the Youtube interface without having to jump through a bunch of hoops outside of purchasing. Or the ability to record your best run and have others instantly boot up a game and challenge your high score or whatever. None of this exists yet, and may have just been vaporware from the beginning.

Including these promised features, console cross play, and an achievement system would go a really long way towards making Stadia feel less lonely.
Some good points for sure.

IIRC achievements do exist but there's no place to view them and you aren't even told about them when the game unlocks them for you lol... incredibly half baked service with some interesting ideas.

But I personally think their "streaming only" model was doomed from the start either way. Like maybe AFTER game streaming actually takes off someone can enter the foray w/ a streaming only service, but not BEFORE.

I think Stadia will shine more next-gen. There's a lot of more "casual hardcore" players who might not want to buy a new console right away and who might say buy the next GTA or Fifa on Stadia instead of putting hundreds of dollars upfront for a console. Also as Google releases more exclusives games and third parties release their timed-exclusives the service should get more traction. How much traction we will have to see. But so far they released a lot of old games, don't have all the promised features in place and a shit ton of people already have consoles.

I think Lockhart will be more interesting to those casuals than Stadia, assuming Lockhart is real

Streaming-only gaming really isn’t very viable right now IMHO.

Has Stadia started delivering in their resolution and ultra settings goals with all games? I know in the beginning there were some letdowns

Last edited:

jakinov

I think Lockhart will be more interesting to those casuals than Stadia, assuming Lockhart is real

Streaming-only gaming really isn’t very viable right now IMHO.

Has Stadia started delivering in their resolution and ultra settings goals with all games? I know in the beginning there were some letdowns
Lockhart will still probably be 250-400$. The kid who really wants to play XYZ or the parents who wants to buy it for their kid is probably going to be more hesitant (or can't afford) to put up a few hundred bucks up front so that they can play a game. It could even be a PC gamer where it's not affordable or practical to spend money on a console or upgrade/buy a PC. I don't know if it still has problems but things should ideally only get better from here from a technical perspective. People get faster access to Internet, data centers improve, architectures, algorithms whatever all get updated. It's also backed by company with great technical proneness. People bring up that Google killed products before, but not because Google couldn't deliver at a technical level, it's because they couldn't sell enough people on the product/service or the value/usage went down over time.

I love how you can get banned for shitposting about the consoles, but not for Stadia, it makes every Stadia thread glorious.

There is a common consensus on Stadia. Its not like banging your head against a wall if you point out its shortcomings.

It is pretty much a common enemy at this point including the mods.

Truespeed

IF Stadia is a lonely place for Tom Windows Warren then maybe he should pay a visit to the xCloud cemetery. If reddit is any indication of popularity then they should start burying those 900p xBox's.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

The pricing structure is also crazy. It cost more per game than any other platform. Right now I would be wary of google just saying screw the project and shutting it down. Then all the digital purchases are lost. In my opinion, it was dead on Arrival. Poor marketing (most still don't know what it is), Bad pricing, lack of any kind of good original content, etc. I predict it to be shut down in less than 2 years. Looks like onlive 2.0
It's like they expected us consumers to be retarded at maths. There is no value for money in the service and product they are providing.

Truespeed

I wish a quick death on any company that tries to take away consumer rights, I was happy when MS got bit hard on the ass when they tried the same shit.

Let Stadia fail, fuck that shit and fuck all the shills that bought into it. You've lost both your game's and money when Google inevitably pulls the plug.

How many paid services has Google pulled the plug on in their 20 year history? People like to talk shit about Google pulling the plug on free services, but the reality is that Microsoft makes Google look like an amateur when killing products and services.

Last edited:

replicant-

IF Stadia is a lonely place for Tom Windows Warren then maybe he should pay a visit to the xCloud cemetery. If reddit is any indication of popularity then they should start burying those 900p xBox's.

Eh? X-cloud isn’t a commercial product yet, closed beta.

720p atm, but the XOS currently powering it are getting swapped out with XSX.

Thirty7ven

Banned
XCloud won't have the problem he's detailing though?

Whether you think Tom Warren is some xbox fanboy or not, the article is pointing out Stadia doesn't have the player base for multiplayer games to thrive. XCloud will have whatever the XBox version of a game's playerbase to back it up.

So something like Destiny 2.
Stadia: 9.6k
Xbox: 291k

Players playing yesterday for example.

More games becoming crossplay should help though.

At this point it’s disingenuous for this cat to be writing about Microsoft’s competition and you know it.

Bryank75

Banned
Stadia, or something like it is the future though.

People laughed at the idea of live steaming TV quality data back in the 90s. During the dotcom boom companies offered all kinds of ideas and services that the technology of the time couldn’t handle and many of them failed.

2 decades later and free to air TV is an afterthought on its last legs compared to Netflix and the other streaming Platforms.

When the the technology is genuinely ready people will ditch their consoles and gaming PCs in an instant. But until then it’s a tough slog for the pioneers of the service.

No it's not, it's a corporate wet dream and a consumer nightmare...

Just wait till they implement the 'hate speech algorithm" which automatically bans you for political wrong-think.

They can lock you out of all your content for any arbitrary reason and take full ownership over everything, can throttle your experience at any time, no guaranteed minimum standard..... I could list negatives here all day.

I will only play on hardware where I can buy physical or digital at my leisure and if the day of streaming only comes, I will not be gaming anymore and neither will my kids.

Gaming without next gen hype and evolving hardware is not gaming at all, it's a shit uninteresting wasteland of mind-control.

Last edited:

T-Square

its really too bad. it could be a great platform if the games were there. im playing thru AC Odyssey on it now and i really enjoy the immediacy and the performance

Last edited:

Miles708

I suppose Stadia requires a google account, right?
That means that, if you accidentally/intentionally/by mistake break the Terms of Service of any google product, you could potentially lose all your Google access, right?
In extreme cases, a copyright strike on Youtube could mean losing all your Stadia Games?
And Google is know for having exactly 0 customer service or even a point of contact.

If that's the case, how can this be even legal? In Europe at least.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I love how you can get banned for shitposting about the consoles, but not for Stadia, it makes every Stadia thread glorious.
Because Stadia is objectively trash and is nearly useless as a consumer product, while console warring is pointless shitstirring that doesn't benefit anyone.

Because Stadia is objectively trash and is nearly useless as a consumer product, while console warring is pointless shitstirring that doesn't benefit anyone.

You say Stadia, I say PlayStation, swings and roundabouts, innit.

Don't ban me.

Last edited:

T-Square

I suppose Stadia requires a google account, right?
That means that, if you accidentally/intentionally/by mistake break the Terms of Service of any google product, you could potentially lose all your Google access, right?
In extreme cases, a copyright strike on Youtube could mean losing all your Stadia Games?
And Google is know for having exactly 0 customer service or even a point of contact.

If that's the case, how can this be even legal? In Europe at least.
if im not misunderstanding you, then no this isnt true. my son got himself suspended from youtube but still has access to all his other google services

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The next 30 days are going to be critical for Stadia. Hopefully they do something to keep people interested when the free Pro upgrades run out. It's hard enough to find someone to play PUBG with now, I can't imagine when the community is culled to paying customers only.

wolywood

I just wonder how the technology can "be ready."

The speed of light is not being broken, and that's the limitation. When you press a button on your controller and then send that to a server which then processes it on its hardware and sends back the response to you, the fastest that back-and-forth communication can take place is the speed of light, right?

So how do you ever eliminate the game-breaking input lag (which is what makes the service pointless) outside of having servers within miles of every single person?
Eh, I wouldn't call it game breaking. If you're used to playing local PC games then sure you'll notice the input lag, but console gamers already deal with lag via Bluetooth wireless controllers; Stadia controllers utilize a direct wifi connection which negates some of that latency. I've played Red Dead Redemption 2 on a PS4 Pro and on Stadia and to me there's really no difference in response time between the two. I have a direct fiber connection to my apartment so I do recognize that my internet experience might not be reflective of everyone's though, and that is a definite issue for these streaming services. How do you ensure that rural gamers or folks in countries with lower quality internet infrastructure have a good game streaming experience? Right now you can't which is why traditional console gaming isn't going away anytime soon.

Well, at least Stadia has a decent timed console exclusive, imo

Stadia is the timed console exclusive for Serious Sam 4, won't Playstation or Xbox until 2021

bummer for Serious Sam fans who are Sony and Xbox users

Oddspeak

Well, at least Stadia has a decent timed console exclusive, imo

Stadia is the timed console exclusive for Serious Sam 4, won't Playstation or Xbox until 2021

bummer for Serious Sam fans who are Sony and Xbox users

FVxs6fG.jpg

teezzy

Banned
I'm a gamer with 2 Chromecasts, 1 Home Max, 1 Home, and 1 Home Mini...

Even I couldn't be bothered to buy a Stadia.

NullZ3r0

Banned
Stadia is a new platform and just needs exclusive content. No one would buy PlayStation and Xbox if all they had were 3rd party ports that came out on other platforms months ago. Let's not overanalyze this.

The service has exceeded my expectations and is my second "console". As long as Google doesnt get bored with it, it could be the future mainstream gaming platform. But right now its just a way to stream games you probably already own.

Top Bottom