• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Stadia will standardize 1080p/4k/8k, 60fps without hardware! Xbox4 and PS5 in trouble?

Google Stadia will allow you to play pretty much any game at a consistent 1080p/4k 60fps depending on what resolution your device supports in a few seconds and no downloading. You can carry it from your desktop, to your laptop, to your casting device, to your tablet, or to your phone. Local co-op and MP with no sacrifices. They are combining the Youtube and movie license divisions with Stadia and already at launch will have a vastly superior online platform than all 3 of the current console makers combined, however at least Microsoft is dabbling on a few similar features.

Nintendo or Sony however, can't really compete. With third-party games being the biggest sellers and games like Apex and Fortnite on the rise, the full access on all your devices and the on-demand infrastructure for games, not needing high-end hardware might I add, really does make buying a console seem foolish which is why people laughing at Microsofts Xcloud are no in for a rude awakening.

It's releasing this year and already has done so much more than anyone was expecting within the next 5 years. Googles going on in and they have shown they were not just playing around.

If Nintendo doubles down on a niche they may survive, but I'm not sure if it'll be enough considering R&D costs, software sales will be going to Google.

Sony really doesn't have a way out since all of Stadia is compatible with most VR headsets and it can also work with weaker devices, I'm not entirely sure of PSVR can actually do anything about that, Sony needs to focus many first-party studios to the cloud to survive.

Pricing is already rumored to be very cheap and it's looking pretty bad, the industry just got shook up in a way people were not expecting within the next 5 years, and it's coming out in 2019. This is what you call a mover and shaker right here.

Gamezone

Gold Member
End of traditional consoles? Jesus, come on.

Even Phil Spencer himself said that downloading a game will always be the best way to play games, and that streaming works well in certain scenarios.

Last edited:

NickFire

Google Stadia will allow you to play pretty much any game at a consistent 1080p/4k 60fps depending on what resolution your device supports in a few seconds and no downloading. You can carry it from your desktop, to your laptop, to your casting device, to your tablet, or to your phone. Local co-op and MP with no sacrifices.
Google is no joke. But I'm having a tough time believing this today. A mere few seconds to load a cutting edge game, played remotely, with no performance hit at all, even to multiplayer? Its very hard for me to believe, but I'll certainly be following the news. If they can pull this off they will be handsomely rewarded for it.

Jubenhimer

The problem I see with Stadia is that its a case-based scenario. What happens when your internet craps out, or you're at a place with no wifi or cell signal? And of course, this being Google, they're going to spy on and track all of your content as much as possible. I think Stadia could be a neat novelty provided it works well, but internet connections need to keep up with handling running a game, and they're still not there yet. Plus, most people still want some form of private, offline ownership of their media too. Netflix is popular, but people still download movies and music off iTunes, and there are people who still buy DVD and Blu-Rays.

Glacia

Neo Member
Those kind of posts make me think that Google is shilling their product online. It's just streaming for fuck sake.

Google Stadia has the ability to have games run off multiple server GPUs which is insane because we have already see them state at the Keynote that it can do 8k gaming and it's 8k ready. It also has auto-down-sampling.

The new Xbox and PlayStation hardware coming up will not even be able to give us a standard of 4k/60fps based on all the rumored specs, and based on what chips are available (to make a consoles less than $500 anyway) with several of the same limitations the PS4 and XBox One have.

Stadia is basically a virtual game consoles that can be expanded upon indefinitely, the new consoles will be hard to compete. Nobody is going to buy a PS5 for Killzone if they can play all the other great games at 4k/8k, 60fps or potentially, 120fps maybe a couple years from now. Xbox is trying to tackle this ahead of the curve by expanding what devices you can play on and we'll see if that hols out but Sony can't really do anything. You can play all the PS5's multiplats with better fps and resolution, even on a garbage laptop from 2 years ago, why buy hardware?

That's what's the big seller and now the "most powerful console" shifts to Googles Virtual Stadia console. It's insane how far Google got behind the scenes, no one could have suspected such a thing. Imagine, finally, standardize 60fps gaming with high-resolution.

fallingdove

Those kind of posts make me think that Google is shilling their product online. It's just streaming for fuck sake.

Nah - it’s more Voost FUD to try and generate concern around Sony and Nintendo’s futures. It’s propoganda and it’s obnoxious as fuck.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd say MS have far more to be worried about than Sony.

This tech is pushing Linux ond Vulkan, not Windows and DirectX. As a service its directly in competition with MS cloud efforts and PC-gaming enterprises on the whole, and may even beat it to market.

MS have also fouled their pitch badly on the compute shared-world physics bullet point, with Crackdown's MP launch being so underwhelming, I thought it was pretty hilarious that the flattest reception in the whole presentation was the short demo of this tech. Wonder why... LOL

At the end of the day, its all about content, brand recognition and install-base. Three things Sony is in a far better position than MS is.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I'm legit beginning to wonder if Voost is a viral marketer. This is the same person that has been posting all of the Google console threads since the rumor one in February. =\

kaczmar

Absolute vaperware until games, price points, and release dates are named. This is typically of Google. Just like that AI assistant making a hair cut appointment. Neat demo of things to come. Nothing more.

CRAIG667

Without games like Uncharted, Halo, The Last of Us, Forza, Gears of War, God of war etc they can have all the tech in the world... I still wont be sold.

It's the games that count.

DanielsM

Banned
Yep, just like the 5 other game streaming services that killed consoles as we know them.

Oh wait.

First was PC gaming was dead, than they switched it back to console are dead.

And IGN, in its own 2012 look at the fate of the console market, offered a bold prediction for the fate of the PS4 months before it was even officially announced: "A better-graphics box at $400? Not going to work."
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018...ath-game-consoles-are-doing-better-than-ever/

2014!
Amazon Just Pushed Game Consoles One Step Closer to Death
https://www.wired.com/2014/04/amazon-fire-tv-gaming/

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:

nkarafo

With lots of input lag and artifacting.

And only if you have a decent connection.

It won't even make a dent.

Fuz

Banned
Don't buy into this streaming shit.

You do that, you help fuck up the gaming media even more than it's now and push for the loss of consumers rights.

spookyfish

Is this our first Stadia fanboy?

Or is this just Google viral marketing?

Yes.

Also, "Dudes!! This new system 3DO is going to *kill* Nintendo and Sega! It's a whole new PLATFORM. The specs are INSANE!! There's no way Sega and Nintendo can catch it!!"

Last edited:
IF WE PANIC LOUD ENOUGH THEN GOOGLE MIGHT ONLY ABANDON THIS PLATFORM AFTER 2 YEARS INSTEAD OF ONE!!!! MAYBE THEY WILL ADD A NOTCH TO THE CONTROLLER BECAUSE WHY NOT!!!!

Trippy

Just watched the presser. Saw the exact same presentation about 10 years ago with a service called Onlive.

Google will be more successful, but will it be the revelation that they’re heralding?

Not convinced.

EVERYONE LET'S ALL PANIC RUN FOR OUR LIVES!!!! AAHHHHH!!!!

Come on guys. Nothings going to happen. They barely showed much of anything outside of a controlled environment and it still had input lag and frame-drops.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
V Voost Kain why are you asking of XBO 2 and PS5 are in trouble by this?

Its like asking if PS4/XBO/Switch are in trouble because there is PS Now.

Its like asking if PC's are in trouble because there is Geforce Now.

At best, Stadia is a supplemental service, not a replacement.

Mr Nash Mr Nash
Unrelated but i also found it very peculiar that as soon as Hunert Smoke got axed, Voost Kain arrived.

Last I checked PlayStation Now has infrastructure in the US, UK, EU and JP.
Not the entire EU,and the way Stadia will work a lot of people will have access to it,compare to playstation,Stadia works from youtube,the idea is that if you see a video of a game you can press play and start playing that game.So it is something,if its works,till now these are only promises,but then again Google has money to buy a country so if they really invest in this,who knows.

Trippy

To have any chance of displacing consoles they need to get EA and Rockstar onboard, without question.

Also, "Dudes!! This new system 3DO is going to *kill* Nintendo and Sega! It's a whole new PLATFORM. The specs are INSANE!! There's no way Sega and Nintendo can catch it!!"

Actually, this never really happened. 3DO advertised as premium out the gate, it gained traction to sell millions of units because the Jaguar screwed up and basically got a year to itself.

End of traditional consoles? Jesus, come on.

Even Phil Spencer himself said that downloading a game will always be the best way to play games, and that streaming works well in certain scenarios.

This. Even Microsoft is not being so arrogant as to say that streaming > local play. They are merely going to offer streaming as an 'add-on' capability for certain short-interval scenarios. F.e., travel when you are only bringing along an iPad Mini + controller.

zwiggelbig

The problem I see with Stadia is that its a case-based scenario. What happens when your internet craps out, or you're at a place with no wifi or cell signal? And of course, this being Google, they're going to spy on and track all of your content as much as possible. I think Stadia could be a neat novelty provided it works well, but internet connections need to keep up with handling running a game, and they're still not there yet. Plus, most people still want some form of private, offline ownership of their media too. Netflix is popular, but people still download movies and music off iTunes, and there are people who still buy DVD and Blu-Rays.

50 million people played apex legends. look how many people played fortnite. all those players who apparently can play multiplayer games well probably have good enough internet to use this and for them this is just fantastic

Simply_Bry

How good does your internet have to be for this kind of performance? I think even with the best internet possible there will be some latency and multiplayer games that require very precise timing will suffer greatly because of this.

Also does it have (quality) exclusives?

Last edited:
Ps5 is rumored at 12 TF minimum, so how is that not going to give u 4K 60?

XBox is rumored to be 14TF minimum... Haven't we hard for the last 3-4 years now that power is irrelevant, it's all about the GAMES??? Look at Nintendo Switch... the least power and it's old megatons of consoles because of exclusive games that people WANT. This is why Stadia is DOA - it has no games.

50 million people played apex legends. look how many people played fortnite. all those players who apparently can play multiplayer games well probably have good enough internet to use this and for them this is just fantastic

Playing locally rendered game with multiplayer is not the same as server-rendered. The latency issues that will bring to any battle royale game is a deal breaker unless everyone has a fiber-optic connection. Good luck with that before 2040.

zeorhymer

The graphics, sound and physics are rendered on your local machine. Only thing being transmitted are player locations, items and bullets. The Stadia will render everything offsite and stream images to your device. That's a whole lot more data to transmit than just coordinates.

Top Bottom