• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOP senator suggests brain tumor affected McCain health care vote

RetroMG

Well then, can we elect the brain tumor to the senate? Seems like it's doing a better job than the majority of Republicans.

John McCain made his stance abundantly clear just a few days prior to the skinny repeal vote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ4YZ7OUcpo

"I've known and admired men and women in the Senate who played much more than a small role in our history, true statesmen, giants of American politics. They came from both parties, and from various backgrounds. Their ambitions were frequently in conflict. They held different views on the issues of the day. And they often had very serious disagreements about how best to serve the national interest.

But they knew that however sharp and heartfelt their disputes, however keen their ambitions, they had an obligation to work collaboratively to ensure the Senate discharged its constitutional responsibilities effectively. Our responsibilities are important, vitally important, to the continued success of our Republic. And our arcane rules and customs are deliberately intended to require broad cooperation to function well at all. The most revered members of this institution accepted the necessity of compromise in order to make incremental progress on solving America's problems and to defend her from her adversaries."

And what did Republican Leadership do?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/...partial-repeal-senate-republicans-revolt.html
"The new, eight-page Senate bill, called the Health Care Freedom Act, was unveiled just hours before the vote.

Before rolling out the new legislation, Senate leaders had to deal with a rebellion from Republican senators who demanded ironclad assurances that the legislation would never become law."

With his plea ignored, McCain did exactly what he said he would.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eOOYxz90Ps

And issued a statement.
https://www.mccain.senate.gov/publi...eases?ID=A952CCCA-66D2-4570-9D57-514561BF3D4D

"From the beginning, I have believed that Obamacare should be repealed and replaced with a solution that increases competition, lowers costs, and improves care for the American people. The so-called ‘skinny repeal' amendment the Senate voted on today would not accomplish those goals.

I've stated time and time again that one of the major failures of Obamacare was that it was rammed through Congress by Democrats on a strict-party line basis without a single Republican vote. We should not make the mistakes of the past that has led to Obamacare's collapse."

If anything, the Senator from Arizona with a brain tumor has more sense than any other who voted yes.

McCain stood there in front of all his GoP colleagues, looked at their faces and stuck his arm out at them saying, "This is not how we do this."

That wasn't a tumor.

That was fucking HEART AND SANITY.

-I don't even like McCain and I was taken back by how defiant he was that day.

Johnson is a moron. He'll be posting an apology soon, under duress of course.

BriGuy

f anything, the Senator from Arizona with a brain tumor has more sense than any other who voted yes.

I said at the time that his vote wasn't due to some epiphany or a case of "good guy McCain." It was a lifeline to the rest of the GOP who didn't want the current incarnation of the bill to pass lest they catch hell from their constituents, but also couldn't find the balls to vote no lest they catch hell from Trump.

Geist-

But it wouldn't have affected him if he voted yes, right?

The only good thing about a Trump victory is GOP politicians are much more likely to reveal themselves are evil fucking bastards.

studyguy

He just walked it back lmao.
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/895351902975791111
DGztygrXkAo4r5I.jpg:large

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
lol, he's going to regret making that statement.

While I do believe McCain has already lost cognitive function, he's still easily able to over time consider a yes or no vote over hours/days of time.

When i read the title I nodded in agreement thinking it had to do with the fact that McCaib knows his days may be numbered and he's not getting elected and because of that opted to do the right thing instead of keeping corporate interests in mind one more time.

Turns out I was dead wrong!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Or was pulling a brain cancer patient on the eve of chemotherapy across state lines to vote on one of the most unpopular pieces of legislation that was given zero hearings or discussion worth considering a problem?

McCain did Johnson and the rest of the GOP Senators a big favor by killing that piece of shit so that they wouldn't have to own it if it passed OR lose political face by voting against it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
McCain did Johnson and the rest of the GOP Senators a big favor by killing that piece of shit so that they wouldn't have to own it if it passed OR lose political face by voting against it.

These are some exceptionally stupid and misguided people afterall.

mnannola

Maybe instead of that, it was because every single version of the bill was horrible, and sending the "skinny repeal" bill to conference with two sides that couldn't agree to shit most likely meant that bill was the one that was going to get sent to Trump?

:lol I need some Republicans to explain to me how they aren't the biggest scumbags on Earth with the way they treat each other, let alone others.

Top Bottom