• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realize Gorillaz has always been about the "now", but my ears just can't enjoy some of the songs when the "singers" are so bad. In the previous albums the raps have been amazing (with legends like Del and De La Soul) and singing on point. This time you have these autotuner hacks and people who cannot either rap or sing (like the vocalist in Ascension).

IKMYHOd.gif

Haruko

Yall can shit talk other songs but nah not submission. I'm not going to sit here and hear this slander.

The only bad thing about it is it's too short. It's still my favorite.

I would have loved another verse on both Saturnz Barz and We Got The Power. I love both but they are over before I'm ready :(

Lucent

I would have loved another verse on both Saturnz Barz and We Got The Power. I love both but they are over before I'm ready :(

I agree. And I feel the same about Let Me Out. There should be at least one more verse. And have it end the way it does in the live versions.

I realize Gorillaz has always been about the "now", but my ears just can't enjoy some of the songs when the "singers" are so bad. In the previous albums the raps have been amazing (with legends like Del and De La Soul) and singing on point. This time you have these autotuner hacks and people who cannot either rap or sing (like the vocalist in Ascension).

lmaoooo

DarkKyo

I heard Andromeda on the radio today! I figure they've been playing Humanz tracks on the radio since release but this was the first time I had heard any tracks on FM so I got all giddy and turned that shit up in the car.

Bread

Banned
I really wasn't feeling the album on my first listens but man it is a serious grower. Things like "cha charger" and "i drove the keys" annoyed me but I love them now! This album is fantastic and I wish the deluxe edition songs were just on the normal album because they're all great.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
She's My Collar is the best track for me, quite convincingly. I feel Damon's absence too keenly in most of the other tracks, but the melancholy of She's My Collar is fantastic. Andromeda's remix and Let Me Out are great too. Not really feeling Momentz - it builds up but never delivers. Ticker Tape is hugely underrated, not enough people talking about it.

EDIT: Oh, and Charger is fucking great. Another criminally underrated track.

FaintDeftone

After four days of listening to nothing but this album, here's my current ranking of Gorrilaz albums:

Demon Days > Humanz > Plastic Beach > Gorillaz

Demon Days is top ten GOAT albums for me and Plastic Beach isn't too far behind, so obviously I love the hell out of this album.

I don't count The Fall.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If we're doing album rankings, all I know is Demon Days is my favourite and Plastic Beach my least. I can't position Gorillaz against Humanz easily, they're both something I appreciate but in different ways.

I'm really pleased to see people love the album on here.
Personally i think it's easily their worst one but as long as others like it then i can keep hoping it does well and they make another one.
I think it's just down to preference, for me demon days is still easily their best work, plastic beach and the self titled both were amazing albums but this one just isn't clicking at all with me.

Yonafunu

Gonna give Atrocity Exhibition a listen to today.

Also, haven't listened to much Vince Staples. What's his best work?

Atrocity Exhibition is amazing. It's not the most easily palatable album on a first listen, but damn is it good.

For Vince, I haven't listened to Prima Donna as much, but Summertime 06 is great.

XXX is also a lot easier of a listen. I still prefer Atrocity Exhibition, but XXX is amazing.

On topic, I've never really been a fan of the Gorillaz, but the features got me interested. This is a pretty good album.

Okay it took me a few listens but I'm digging momentz. Was off-putting at first but I can really get into it now. My two favorites from the album right now are Andromeda and Busted and Blue.

Goldboy

XXX is also a lot easier of a listen. I still prefer Atrocity Exhibition, but XXX is amazing.

On topic, I've never really been a fan of the Gorillaz, but the features got me interested. This is a pretty good album.

I agree that XXX is an easier listen than Atrocity Exhibition, and it's probably a better starting point for that reason, IMO.

Kaban

jesus, I just can't listen to momentz. Superfast Jellyfish was my fave song from Plastic Beach, so was looking forward to another De La Soul track. I don't what they tried to do with this one.

Really digging the album, still needs to sink in for me and give it another few lessons. Feel myself kind of zoning off and tuning out a little bit towards the middle - end period of it unfortunately. Overall I'm positive on it; just hope this isn't the end for Gorillaz! You'd think the fact they're investing in a possible TV series and merch would mean that they don't plan on disappearing for as long this time.

NotLiquid

I managed to get tickets to their Denmark show right now

If I wasn't so sleepy right now, I'd probably be jumping with joy and questioning reality (not that me being sleepy isn't already having me do the latter)

yoooo... how the fuck are you going to say Vince Staples can't rap??

iR1egf0.gif

Moonkid

Never mind the rapping, the non auto-tuned singing on the album is abundant and pretty damn great. The album may be lacking in some respects but quality singing is not one of them when you've got singers like Peven Everett and Kelela.

Out of Body is amazing. It's the only track that really sucked me in so far though. Granted I've only been able to listen to the previews from itunes.

If I liked Out of Body which other songs should I check out?

It's been a hot minute since I've seen a thread where people are so eager and excited to say they hate something with gifs and pageantry.

Hot takes, cool nights.

I can't stop listening to this album

Haruko

I want a full song that uses the melody/beats from the ending of Momentz.

I'm talking about the Kool Klown Klan
music

It's been a hot minute since I've seen a thread where people are so eager and excited to say they hate something with gifs and pageantry.

Hot takes, cool nights.

I can't stop listening to this album

iTunes tells me I've listened to it 21 times already.

What I find amusing is that every time my wife hears it, she asks me what it is, because it often sounds like a completely different band. Are their previous albums this varied?

Got Submission on repeat for the last half hour

So good

What I find amusing is that every time my wife hears it, she asks me what it is, because it often sounds like a completely different band. Are their previous albums this varied?
Yup. They incorporate so many different styles that every album (particularly Demon Days and Plastic Beach) sounds like a mix of different artists

Plastic Beach sounds nothing like Demon Days which sounds nothing like Humanz. ST and Gorillaz are kinda similar though.

Out of Body is amazing. It's the only track that really sucked me in so far though. Granted I've only been able to listen to the previews from itunes.

If I liked Out of Body which other songs should I check out?
I see you have good taste. If you're anything like me, which out of body is my standout track, then the following are the highlights

1. Out of Body
2. Andromeda
3. She's my collar
4. Black and blue
5 Momentz

But I'd argue every track is worth it, listen to the whole album it might take a few listens but most like it after a few trials.

Only tracks I've liked are Charger (but just barely), Submission and Andromeda. Maybe it needs a bit more time to sink in but it's turning into another Plastic Beach situation where it feels like the collaborations are there because Damon couldn't come up with anything interesting lyrically for an instrumental.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom