• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotLiquid

Now that some time has passed, any of these songs break into your top 10 Gorillaz songs?

Hmmm

She's My Collar, Out Of Body, Strobelite, Momentz, Saturnz Barz and Busted & Blue are all contenders for me to be honest but I'd have to actually think through what my Top 10 Gorillaz is in the first place.

At the very least, despite my lessened like of it, Plastic Beach still has the two GOAT Gorillaz tracks on it; Empire Ants and On Melancholy Hill.

Valkrai

I still can't like Sex Murder Party. It's so bizarre and uninteresting. If The Apprentice replaced it, it would be my favorite album but it's close. Plastic Beach is still GOAT tier Gorillaz

I still can't like Sex Murder Party. It's so bizarre and uninteresting. If The Apprentice replaced it, it would be my favorite album but it's close. Plastic Beach is still GOAT tier Gorillaz

Sex Murder Party isn't the stand out track for me, but I'd keep it over Carnival any day of the week. Carnival for me is just too fucking weird.

Valkrai

Sex Murder Party isn't the stand out track for me, but I'd keep it over Carnival any day of the week. Carnival for me is just too fucking weird.

Carnival isn't the greatest track on there but it's not bad, just odd. It's one of those tracks that's better watching live.

Edit: It gives me memories of Glitter Freeze. It's something that you can listen to but its not memorable. Both are good in live gigs

Now that some time has passed, any of these songs break into your top 10 Gorillaz songs?
Not yet but if anything it'll be Saturnz Barz, Andromeda, or She's My Collar. Truthfully though, there's a good amount of tracks I can skip. This might be shaping up to be my least favorite album. Still some great stuff though.

Salsa

VQlcMoI.jpg

bruh 8 months away but still shocked they're playing Uruguay

saw Blur here a couple years ago and knew Damon loved the city enough to make the most iconic Montevideo landmark as one of his singles' cover

0000419514.jpg

(you can see my house from there)

so yeah I was hopeful but still in disbelief

paid the VIP ticket cause ffffffffffffuck it man. seeing Gorillaz in 8 months. never thought I would. hype.

Calm Mind

Not so much an album but a musical journey. It's beautiful, dark and twisted at times yet haunting where it needs to be. I won't compare it to previous albums because I don't believe that is fair to the art. I will say that it is one of the best pieces of original music I've heard this year. A very matured sound throughout. - listened to Deluxe version

Van Bur3n

Not as good as Demon Days or even Plastic Beach, I'd say. Andromeda and Saturnz Barz are definitely the best, and were the reasons why I was excited for this album. Turns out the rest of the album wasn't as good.

Yep, just came to post ;) Was strongly expected, glad it panned out. I'll be going.

How much do Single Day passes usually run for? I've never been. Is it worth for the whole weekend? I have a buddy that'd be willing to help me out and give me a place to stay so hotel costs are cut.

Actually so excited right now...

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Really surprised people are so positive about Momentz. It just doesn't go anywhere as a song - it needed at the very least a second verse and some kind of development. Instead you get 30 seconds of good stuff, then apparently everyone decided they were done and chucked in a repeat chorus.

NotLiquid

Fuck it. Going by gut feeling here.

1. On Melancholy Hill
2. Empire Ants
3. El Mañana
4. Out Of Body
5. DoYaThing
6. She's My Collar
7. Strobelite
8. Sound Check (Gravity)
9. Kids With Guns
10. Momentz

DarkKyo

So many more tracks I like than this but if I had to distill 10 of my absolute favorites... Not even going to try to rank them in order of favorites so I'll just throw 'em all out here.

Doncamatic
Empire Ants
Tomorrow Comes Today
New Genius
El Manana
Rhinestone Eyes
The Apprentice
Saturnz Barz
White Flag
Andromeda

I think my favorite CD might still be Gorillaz or Plastic Beach. It's too early to say Humanz is one of my favorites but I don't see why it wouldn't be after some retrospection due to its consistently wonderful tracklist. Demon Days is incredible and was a very important part of my life and cultural interest during my college years, but it strangely seems to have the least of my favorite tracks on it.

Valkrai

I have to go with for my top songs

1. Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
2. Superfast Jellyfish
3. The Apprentice
4. Dirty Harry
5. Empire Ants
6. Ascension
7. Plastic Beach
8. Hallelujah Money
9. Tomorrow Comes Today
10. Some Kind of Nature

At least for me it's Plastic Beach > Humanz > Demon Days > S/T >>> The Fall

hughesta

Banned
Really surprised people are so positive about Momentz. It just doesn't go anywhere as a song - it needed at the very least a second verse and some kind of development. Instead you get 30 seconds of good stuff, then apparently everyone decided they were done and chucked in a repeat chorus.
I dig the progression of Momentz. You get the weird first verse, the hook, the sweet bridge, than the hook comes back with added synths and it fucking bangs, and then a sick outro. I really like it.

Realeza

Banned
Clint Eastwood
El Mañana
Feel Good Inc
DARE
Stylo
Rhinestone Eyes
Empire Ants
Andromeda
Saturn Barz
Doncamatic

TM94

My top 10:

Clint Eastwood
Stylo
Empire Ants
Feel Good Inc.
DARE
Andromeda
El Mañana
Tomorrow Comes Today
Hong Kong
She's My Collar

Question about ACL. If a band is in it (The Gorillaz) does that mean they play everyday that weekend or are they designated a certain day?

Is it worth it to get all 3 day pass? How is the festival overall?

Honestly, just go by yourself. Got back from a metal concert alone last night, within my first 20 minutes in line i made friends, met a lot of cool people, everyone was super nice. Great experience. Im not a very outgoing or talkative person.

I'm sure I can convince at least one acquaintance to go with me. Worst comes to worst though, fuck it I'll go by myself. I wouldn't even mind going with gaffers if someone else is down there.

Ballistik

Not in any order, but just 10 songs that stick out for me:

El Manana
Dracula
Clint Eastwood
Tomorrow Comes Today
On Melancholy Hill
Rock the House
Let Me Out
19-2000
Superfast Jellyfish
The Apprentice

Also, am I the only one with Dracula on the list? I just find it really catchy...

Dracula is great. I was surprised when I found out it was just a bonus track. I liked it better than a lot of songs on the main album.

Fjordson

Don't think so. Andromeda is the only song I really like on Humanz, but it's not quite up there.

In somewhat chronological order:

Slow Country
Tomorrow Comes Today
19-2000
Sound Check (Gravity)
New Genius (Brother)
Ghost Train
Kids With Guns
Hong Kong
To Binge
Empire Ants

I'm disgusted that not a single one of you has Cloud of Unknowing in your top 10

DISGUSTED

I'll have to think about it some more, but my top 10 is probably at least half Plastic Beach tracks.

Wiped89

Ooh, I've never thought about it, but... my top 10, in order of bestness:

White Flag
Clint Eastwood
El Manana
Rhinestone Eyes
The Apprentice
19/2000
On Melancholy Hill
O Green World
Tomorrow Comes Today
Feel Good Inc

Damn, that's 10 already, but at least I got one from this album in there albeit from the bonus disc. Can't believe no one else has White Flag. That song is an incredible mix of brilliant rap with a bleedin' orchestra, people!

I think Andromeda has a very good chance of pushing into that top 10 though. And I have to say, I really like this album despite some minor grumbles.

All of my close friends listen to metal and hard Rock. Maybe one will go with me I have to ask

I'm sure I can convince at least one acquaintance to go with me. Worst comes to worst though, fuck it I'll go by myself. I wouldn't even mind going with gaffers if someone else is down there.

Yeah, I'm in Dallas and have a friend in Houston who's a huge fan of Gorillaz but I doubt he'll go. Have a couple friends that live in Austin as well, but I don't know if they're down. Asked a friend and she said if she had the money that she'll go so fingers crossed.

Yeah, I'm in Dallas and have a friend in Houston who's a huge fan of Gorillaz but I doubt he'll go. Have a couple friends that live in Austin as well, but I don't know if they're down. Asked a friend and she said if she had the money that she'll go so fingers crossed.
I got lucky and one of my friends in Austin seems to go every year apparently. Might go spend time with him assuming he's going this year

Top 10s are usually fun, this one wasn't.

El Mañana
Feel Good Inc
Do Ya Thing
Stop The Dams
Submission
19-2000
Every Planet We Reach Is Dead
Empire Ants
Clint Eastwood
Andromeda

Status
Not open for further replies.