• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gorillaz-Humanz |OT| After All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieran

Banned
About 3/4 in my first listen and it's not really clicking for me. I recognize this is quality music, but I'm just not really into this style. I also prefer when Damon is up front and center, in this album he is more of a backup vocalist.

Demon Days is a killer album, and their self titled and Plastic Beach are also pretty good. I think they're just exploring genres that don't really do it for me. Oh well. Hope y'all enjoy it!

Fjordson

I dunno, I've never disliked a Gorillaz album on release.

This one is different. Really only two songs I could see myself going back to.

It's pretty good, I need to listen to it again to better discern what tracks were what. Again, one thing that kind of hurts Gorillaz albums for me is how many tracks there usually are. Even if the length of the entire album isn't that long I'd prefer fewer, more cohesive tracks. I can't deal with 26 track albums especially.

Yeah, the album without the bonus tracks a much tighter album. 14 tracks with 6 pretty short interludes.

Reminds of Plastic Beach being thrown to the wolves right after release.

Plastic Beach still doesn't click with me to this day. I like the same handful of songs I like, but as a whole, still at the bottom with The Fall.

Submission works best as a lengthy transition into Charger, I can't get into it on its own.

She's My Collar might be my favorite on the record though, Momentz as a close second and Hallelujah Money in third.

Out of Body is ethereal as fuck.
Such a great song.

As for ranking Gorillaz albums, I can never do it. Each main album is such a different experience that there's almost no point imo. They all serve different purposes and I don't really consider any to be better than any other because of it. It really is apples and oranges.

Saturnz Barz is my favorite. Also like Andromeda, We got the power...The most Gorillaz sounding songs of the album. I like them a lot.

Some of them... Just, what. Needs more 'Gorillaz sounding' songs, less random artist sounding ones. Money hasn't grown on me any more than when I first heard it. Yuck.

BearPawB

Banned
I think at times it does feel like a mixtape.

But I also think this will be very much a "grower" of an album.

Let Me Out is fucking awesome though

Kaban

Haven't heard the whole album yet, but from what I've listened to so far, it's a little too experimental for my tastes, even for the Gorillaz. I say that as a long-time fan. But maybe it will grow on me.

My favourite track so far is The Apprentice, and that's just a bonus track :/

DarkKyo

Think my favorites are The Apprentice, Saturnz Barz, Strobelite, Submission, Andromeda, and We Got the Power, but I genuinely adore everything on here so it's hard to pick favorites.

Out of Body should've been on the main album tbh but whatever I can still listen to it.

Sounds fucking GOOD.

Also SMP is a super great song.

I drooooove the kiiiiids...
I drooooove the kiiiiids...
Into tears of prioooority.

Ash735

Still processing this album, it's a mix of S/T, PB and DD in places. So far though, stand outs are...

- Ascension (mainly because this doesn't feel like a Gorillaz track but a Vince track, which I'm OK with)
- Saturn Barz (Really grew on me over time)
- Submission / Charger (These two work so well together on the album)
- Let Me Out (Old school S/T feels)

From the bonus tracks though...
- New World (Oddly the best Interlude on the album)
- The Apprentice (This track is so amazing, I loved it from the moment I first heard it)

The rest I still need to listen to a few more times before I can give a final verdict on.

Blader

After my first listen, I think Andromeda -- which was my favorite of the singles -- is still my favorite of the whole album. But I also really like Busted and Blue, Strobelite, She's My Collar, The Apprentice, We Got the Power, and Ticker Tape.

There's a lot of fat in here that could've been trimmed out (for starters, all of the skits) and I think the sequencing on this album is really off, which is weird because that wasn't an issue for me with past Gorillaz albums, even The Fall. But I still dig it. Gonna have to listen to it more to form a stronger opinion of it, but I imagine -- like with Plastic Beach -- I'll like it the more I play it.

I like the skits. They're short, non-intrusive, but add context and structure to the narrative. Plus Ben Mendelsohn has a cool voice.

Soma

ohhhhhhh man submission into charger...

Cv298H2.gif

hughesta

Banned
yeah I think the interludes are great. they're short and non-intrusive. I also happen to think the album is impeccably sequenced. Not a song out of place, and the bonus tracks work really well as an epilogue of sorts.

Tesser

Strobelite is easily the stand-out repeat listen - Peven Everett nails it with the vocals and I like the overall groove/rhythm of the track.

Going to reserve my judgement until a few repeated listens, but there's certainly nowhere near enough immediately catchy/memorable riffs or melodies as there were on previous Gorillaz albums. Outside of maybe tracks like Charger or Andromeda.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im starting to realise the only Gorillaz album I actually loved was the first one, and that mkes me sad :/

Gorillaz

Feels weird talking about the album since my username is attached and people will look at it with a sideeye lol

Few things I realized. The album comes off as Damon a stone to kill 2(or multiple really) birds here. It feels like it's Damon getting Gorillaz name back in the mainstream since it's been 7 years since plastic beach which is why is also partly went with certain artist and newer talent instead of more of the older acts like he did in PB and DD. With the way people go through music, 2 or 3 years away from mainstream alone puts you in the back of people's mind It feels like a mix of some things from every era mainly PB and DD. Especially DD since at times it has a very "let's go further into the sound of what Dare was" for alot of these songs especially the back half of the album around Busted and Blue to the end (not including deluxe).

I do think it will be jarring for people who for years of not hearing a new album from Damon expected more abstract shit in it. I think this works tho as a "party at the end of the world" vibe.Also Submission to Charger is smooth as hell. Submission by itself sounds like a song that would be on a 2017 Demon Days in terms of sound. Kelela sounds great on it

Album not even out for 24 hours so slow down on the rankings

NotLiquid

Feels weird talking about the album since my username is attached and people will look at it with a sideeye lol

Few things I realized. The album comes off as Damon a stone to kill 2(or multiple really) birds here. It feels like it's Damon Gorillaz name back in the mainstream since it's been 7 years since plastic beach which is why is also partly went with certain artist and newer talent instead of more of the older acts like he did in PB and DD. With the way people go through music, 2 or 3 years away from mainstream alone puts you in the back of people's mind It feels like a mix of some things from every era mainly PB and DD. Especially DD since at times it has a very "let's go further into the sound of what Dare was" for alot of these songs especially the back half of the album around Busted and Blue to the end (not including deluxe).

I do think it will be jarring for people who for years of not hearing a new album from Damon expected more abstract shit in it. I think this works tho as a "party at the end of the world" vibe.Also Submission to Charger is smooth as hell. Submission by itself sounds like a song that would be on a 2017 Demon Days in terms of sound. Kelela sounds great on it

Album not even out for 24 hours so slow down on the rankings

I agree it's the biggest "grower" they've got.

The first listen I was mixed, but the second I'm loving so many of these nuances they've got.

NotLiquid

I like this quote from Under The Radar's review.

But it's that jarring first listen that will probably stand out most to Gorillaz fans, because suddenly the music places us in that real human world, and the Gorillaz we know are just among the guests, like us.

While Humanz is the biggest departure Gorillaz has yet attempted, it is also their biggest grower. On repeated listens, the concept begins to sink in, and it starts to feel like Albarn is giving us a mirror. This whole time, we have come to Gorillaz to be transported to a cartoon world and see characters different than us. But in 2017, perhaps we need to see that that cartoon world is our world, and those bizarre cartoon characters are us. We are all human(z).

Realeza

Banned
Fucking lmao. Someone asked why there's not too much Damon on the album. The reply:

Murdoc: What were you doing when Busted and Blue came on? Get a grip, mate. Also, 2D is like Christmas or World Cups. If you get too much of him, it loses the magic.

Kid Ying

I didnt like rhis álbum as much as i wanted to.

There are a couple of good songs, but most of them are passable at best.

My favorite one was the apprentice. Great song that made me anxious for the whole thing. Also, whats the deal with the number of interludes? It made me feel like i was listening to a wu tang clan album.

Fucking lmao. Someone asked why there's not too much Damon on the album. The reply:

Russel's response about the criticism of being too rap-centric:

Rx5K18m.png
Some of the responses in there are hilarious. Gunna have to use the "ive got a stack of mind your own business cards" one.

yeah, I think this is the weirdest album they've done since the first. Nothing on any of their main albums is as abrasive and wild as Momentz or Halfway House.
Then you've got Sex Murder Party and Hallelujah Money. People complain that this sounds like mainstream pop or other artists but there's a lot of weird nuances and details in the construction of the songs and the background that's too out there for purely mainstream music which is why I think this album is great. It might be poppy but it's a different type entirely, which is entirely Gorillaz.

It's funny when hallelujah money first came out I thought it was too weird and thinking "this will be among my most disliked songs in the new album"

Then I listened to the rest of the album and so many other songs I really almost don't want anything to do with on a first pass through and hallelujah money sounds like old school Gorillaz by comparison lmao.

Will give the album a few more listens but as of right now there are plenty of songs I'm not crazy about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom