• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

Sygma

this game is gonna bomb. i have still yet to see anything exciting.

the only good samurai game is Sekiro (No, Nioh doesn't count either). this looks like some cheap ass action game with a Sekiro rip off skin slapped on.

no doubt the Sony Fan Boys will praise it as some masterpiece....

suckerpunch should've stayed with infamous.

TIL Sekiro is a samurai game

Apparently everyone besides gamers themselves got the game in review copies, it makes me furious after all the goddamn fucking delays. Like why delay then, just to shank us?

CrysisFreak

Banned
82 - 86 is a safe bet imho, the one thing it does really well outside of gameplay is world building / lore and quests. Its much better than any last AC games. The quests structures are well thought out
So you have the game?
Should we assume the combat is Sekiro (10/10), Nioh (8/10) or AssCreed (4/10)

JimiNutz

Banned
If GOT is 'much better' than AC Odyssey, which is sitting on a 83 MC rating, then I guess it's not wild to hope for a game that scores in the 90s :messenger_grinning:

Ultimately I don't really care as I'll have it day one anyway but if the game is as good as it looks then it'd be nice for SP to have some of the same critical success that other Sony studios seem to attract.

CrysisFreak

Banned
If GOT is 'much better' than AC Odyssey, which is sitting on a 83 MC rating, then I guess it's not wild to hope for a game that scores in the 90s :messenger_grinning:

Ultimately I don't really care as I'll have it day one anyway but if the game is as good as it looks then it'd be nice for SP to have some of the same critical success that other Sony studios seem to attract.
I think high 80s is great and still realistic tbh. 90s would be mindblowing. There is no way it's less than 75

JimiNutz

Banned
I think high 80s is great and still realistic tbh. 90s would be mindblowing. There is no way it's less than 75

Yeah I'm not necessarily expecting 90s and it's hard to make that judgement when there has been no real hands on previews or much footage shown. What I have seen and heard does sound awesome though so I'm hoping SP get the praise they deserve if they do deliver the goods.

Can you explain what you mean? Are you saying certain reviewers didn't get the game.
No I meant opposite. Reviewers got their copies, so much so that even bloggers now considered reviewers and get the game early and write just 200 words shit pieces for it. While the gamers are shanked and get the game 2 weeks later than these fuckers.

THEAP99

Banned
82 - 86 is a safe bet imho, the one thing it does really well outside of gameplay is world building / lore and quests. Its much better than any last AC games. The quests structures are well thought out
That’s fantastic to hear and was my worry. That it’d be a bunch of cut and paste nonsense.

How are the controls. Do they feel floaty and janky like past Suckerpunch games?

What’s holding this game back from a must play rating? Pros and cons?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah I'm not necessarily expecting 90s and it's hard to make that judgement when there has been no real hands on previews or much footage shown. What I have seen and heard does sound awesome though so I'm hoping SP get the praise they deserve if they do deliver the goods.
Even game 90s it doesn't guarantee you gonna enjoy it, dont put too much weight on scores alone.

Do they feel floaty and janky like past Suckerpunch games?
What!? to me Sucker Punch' games always controls smoothly and fun, its one of the big reason I'm fan of their games.

Last edited:

nowhat

No I meant opposite. Reviewers got their copies, so much so that even bloggers now considered reviewers and get the game early and write just 200 words shit pieces for it. While the gamers are shanked and get the game 2 weeks later than these fuckers.
Oh the humanity! This is the first time this has ever happened in the history of video games!!!

...oh wait, this is what happens with every video game where review copies get sent out before the game is released. *insert Adam Orth jpg here*

Bryank75

Banned
So good to hear, that is for me the most important thing... I love to explore and happen upon things and find interesting things happening that link back or expand the lore / story or side stories.

Sygma

So you have the game?
Should we assume the combat is Sekiro (10/10), Nioh (8/10) or AssCreed (4/10)

You got Nioh and Sekiro's scores reverted

I absolutely don't uphold From Software's combat highly due to how laughable their games are on a pure mechanical level. Ninja Gaiden Black and definitely Nioh 2 are much, much, much more impressive on that end period. Regarding GoT it's surprisingly close to AC Origins but with different stances and an actual "ohk orientation" at the highest difficulty. With that being said its also way above origins.

Competent game, technically solid, good quests and world but to me it just doesn't have that novelty or that uniqueness to it, even if admittedly there are unique gameplay elements in quests that I really didn't expect

THEAP99

Banned

I absolutely don't uphold From Software's combat highly due to how laughable their games are on a pure mechanical level. Ninja Gaiden Black and definitely Nioh 2 are much, much, much more impressive on that end period. Regarding GoT it's surprisingly close to AC Origins but with different stances and an actual "ohk orientation" at the highest difficulty. With that being said its also way above origins.

Competent game, technically solid, good quests and world but to me it just doesn't have that novelty or that uniqueness to it, even if admittedly there are unique gameplay elements in quests that I really didn't expect
Sounds about right. My 83 predictions sound good. A good open-world game that improves on what already exists but just doesn't have a strong enough story to rise it up over most games?? Maybe?

Bryank75

Banned

Any suggestions you might have had for them? Or can you say anything?

WellSheet

Sygma Sygma

If you can answer/allude to...

hows the exploration? They Seemed to really hype that aspect up during the SOP in May....I think (what is lacking from

BIG open world games is that discovery and mystery that seems to exist in games that are more linear/semi-open....examples....Bioshock, Control, Hollow Knight, The Witness....granted all those games are very different...but I think they feel more like you’re truly exploring and uncovering things - truly unique sights and environments with well-worth-it loot and such. I know I’m comparing different game world design ideologies here...but that SOP made me hopeful Sucker Punch was aiming for this balance.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Sounds about right. My 83 predictions sound good. A good open-world game that improves on what already exists but just doesn't have a strong enough story to rise it up over most games?? Maybe?
I wonder if the story will click with the critics

Bartski

Gold Member
Whether RDR2 is bad or not is up for another debate (personally I don't hate it, but don't love it either), but the meticulous animations actively hinder gameplay, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Like, you just finished a gun battle. You're looting downed enemies/the surroundings. Your posse keeps yelling "get on with it!" - well I fucking would if I fucking could. And don't give me any of that realism bullshit, you pick up ammo simply by walking over it.

I would totally argue otherwise. I absolutely love that shit, just as any other mechanic that makes the presentation more believable and realistic BUT ONLY in games designed to look and feel grounded (GoT, RDR2, TLOU2, etc.), for anything else I couldn't care less. I think the problem is the economy and how many items are you actually picking up and why, there is usually just way too many pickups that are meaningless (especially in open-world games) which makes tiresome real quick.

But I also fully understand why so many people hate it and ideally it would be great if games did that, but allowed to disable item pickup animations under options, for those who want things to move a bit quicker.

nowhat

I would totally argue otherwise. I absolutely love that shit, just as any other mechanic that makes the presentation more believable and realistic BUT ONLY in games designed to look and feel grounded (GoT, RDR2, TLOU2, etc.), for anything else I couldn't care less. I think the problem is the economy and how many items are you actually picking up and why, there is usually just way too many pickups that are meaningless (especially in open-world games) which makes tiresome real quick.

But I also fully understand why so many people hate it and ideally it would be great if games did that, but allowed to disable item pickup animations under options, for those who want things to move a bit quicker.
But if you take something like TLOU 2 (which, granted, is pretty much bleeding-edge when it comes to animations and motion matching), the actions are much more fluid. Ellie/Abby doesn't need to position herself exactly where a meticulous animation starts, instead she can pick up things behind her back for example. Not so in RDR 2 - first, carefully and sloooowly get to the position where the animation takes place, then execute that animation. You may call that realistic presentation, I call that wasting my time.

Bartski

Gold Member
But if you take something like TLOU 2 (which, granted, is pretty much bleeding-edge when it comes to animations and motion matching), the actions are much more fluid. Ellie/Abby doesn't need to position herself exactly where a meticulous animation starts, instead she can pick up things behind her back for example. Not so in RDR 2 - first, carefully and sloooowly get to the position where the animation takes place, then execute that animation. You may call that realistic presentation, I call that wasting my time.
I know what you mean, the tech in TLOU2 is also far from perfect but superior, simply because it doesn't lock the character in place like RDR2, so it doesn't hinder movement and that just feels like a step in the right direction. Also - this is certainly a hell of an expensive system and a hard sell in development just to make it a preference... but to me it's valuable for immersion in games that rely on it and I hope to see more of it next gen, done right.

THEAP99

Banned
That’s the thing. I don’t like how ghost of Tsushima barely animates anything.

like there’s no legit movement whatsoever when you pick something up. Some may say it’s because “they want everything to be quick” but like, it just seems like laziness to me.

these type of things are what separate great developers from good developers. Not like it will make or break the game or anything, but still you know what I mean.

also the way enemies fly back when hit with a bow. Not a deal breaker, but still hilarious and dumb. Once again separating great from good.

Last edited:

nowhat

Also - this is certainly a hell of an expensive system and a hard sell in development just to make it a preference...
Actually, this may not be the case (and yes, TLOU 2 is still far from perfect, granted) - the way motion matching works (very much simplified here) is you have a lot of mocap data, basically small variations of various actions. You store them in a database of sorts. And then when a character is going from $MOTION_A to $MOTION_B, the engine queries the database to get the closest matching motion between the two and uses that to make the transition.

I'm not an animator nor a developer, so this is a very crude description. There's the original GDC talk (an interesting watch), and always, the devil is in the details. My point being, for large productions, there will be a lot of mocap data available, it's just a matter of putting it to use.

THEAP99

Banned
I mean shit, even Days gone had some detailed effort put into animations.
You’re gonna tell me they couldn’t have paid some college intern or something under the table money for a few weeks to create at least some movement and dynamic in pick up animations?

In TLOU2 the animations were above anything seen in any game till now, correct. But the game rests on scrounging on resources that player less and less frequently finds in higher difficulties, so in the game world it makes sense that those animations are meticulously crafted. In an open world game like GoT where I think resources are mostly unlimited maybe just sprinkled far in between, so animations would hinder it. RDR2 for example was getting tiresome after some time, not because those were worse than TLOU2 animations, but the fact that they took too long and too frequently. GoT has the better approach for its type of game imo.

Rolla

Banned
Game has really fucking cool sidequests and unique gameplay elements btw, they absolutely held back on showing it
Do you already have copy of the game?

I absolutely hate when people do this. I'm super hyped for GOT. I've had the special edition ordered but I can't stand when people intentionally imply they have early copies of games but can never answer directly. They just like to live in this weird space where people ask them for receipts.

To be really clear Sygma Sygma Do You Have The Game?

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
In W3 late game combats were a joke after getting all the armors and leveling up, it just turns into button mash in orderly fashion. I hope GoT trumps W3 in combat too.
Yeah, it looks like there's some variety with the stances. I'm anxious to play it

GymWolf

Game has really fucking cool sidequests and unique gameplay elements btw, they absolutely held back on showing it

7f8b27a762227c3c8f8e03f68ad18e68.jpg

Sygma

hows the exploration? They Seemed to really hype that aspect up during the SOP in May....I think (what is lacking from

BIG open world games is that discovery and mystery that seems to exist in games that are more linear/semi-open....examples....Bioshock, Control, Hollow Knight, The Witness....granted all those games are very different...but I think they feel more like you’re truly exploring and uncovering things - truly unique sights and environments with well-worth-it loot and such. I know I’m comparing different game world design ideologies here...but that SOP made me hopeful Sucker Punch was aiming for this balance.

I mean its nothing you haven't played but the main systems are well thought out and it is indeed rewarding, its not just collectables left and right. Even tho there's a fair share of ? ? (which I honestly cant be fucked to do)

GymWolf

I mean its nothing you haven't played but the main systems are well thought out and it is indeed rewarding, its not just collectables left and right. Even tho there's a fair share of ? ? (which I honestly cant be fucked to do)
just tell me one thing, does the game still has these horrible precanned death animations for every enemy you kill? no ragdoll at all? what happen if you still attack an enemy locked into the death animation?

Rolla

Banned

This Russian reviewer implies it curbstomps Assassin's Creed (if I interpreted his tweet right, yes I speak Russian).

If that's really the consensus then what a way for Sony to end the generation. I mean, you couldn't script a better ending to the gen. But they literally, and planned it years in advance.

Last edited:

Sygma

I absolutely hate when people do this. I'm super hyped for GOT. I've had the special edition ordered but I can't stand when people intentionally imply they have early copies of games but can never answer directly. They just like to live in this weird space where people ask them for receipts.

To be really clear Sygma Sygma Do You Have The Game?

Do you have your brain wired on jealousy by default and if so why should I give a fuck about it? GymWolf GymWolf well you gotta understand that these animations are meant to embrace the kind of aesthetic present in classic samurai movies, theres defo some brutal results that you can expect

Last edited:
Top Bottom