• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOT review embargo up on 14/07

nowhat

That's a big patch for sure.

If I pre-order and then preload the digital version does it download the patch in the background as well or do you have to try and start the game to prompt the day one patch?
Provided the patch is available when you start the preload (which, I've found, rarely starts for me automatically nowadays - but you can manually start it a couple of days in advance), it should include it.

CrysisFreak

Banned

If I pre-order and then preload the digital version does it download the patch in the background as well or do you have to try and start the game to prompt the day one patch?
Well day one patches are usually part of the preload because they are uploaded before the preload starts. Also at any time even before initial release you can "check for updates" via the options button.
Don't worry the moment it unlocks you'll be good to go.
Edit: beaten

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Provided the patch is available when you start the preload (which, I've found, rarely starts for me automatically nowadays - but you can manually start it a couple of days in advance), it should include it.

Ah cool.
I've got the Friday off work so had planned to begin my playthrough at 00.01

ToadMan

The digital version should be pre-patched I believe ... or at least it’s all rolled into the initial download as one step.

EDIT : beaten like a mongol invading Japan hehe

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Oh so it’s not like souls? For some reason I had this idea it was a souls type game, and yeah, more like Sekiro. I haven’t kept up on this game as I wanted to go in fresh but to be fair, I’m not so sure right now.
I'm glad it's not another Souls clone

ToadMan

New rumors floating out...

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gh...have-a-8gb-day-one-patch.242209/post-38942623

If you're averse to clicking the link...

"i was talking to a guy, who is playing the game, but he is not the reviewer, he said the game is pretty great overrall, graphics are one of the best of this generation. Combat its a mix of Nioh (Stances) and AC origins ( but better). He also said Side quests are great and very well done, and the missions is up to you to choose stealth approach or a more samira style approach. he said its not like a Wichter or a Breath of the wild in terms of interaction, but the game is very good and gives freedon to do what you whant to do"

There's a couple more posts in the link - No bugs in the unpatched version was about the only point of importance. Oh and no big cities discovered yet. I'd be surprised if there are any - in the context of the time period Tsushima only had a population of 300!

REE Machine

Banned

https://www.resetera.com/threads/gh...have-a-8gb-day-one-patch.242209/post-38942623

"i was talking to a guy, who is playing the game, but he is not the reviewer, he said the game is pretty great overrall, graphics are one of the best of this generation. Combat its a mix of Nioh (Stances) and AC origins ( but better). He also said Side quests are great and very well done, and the missions is up to you to choose stealth approach or a more samira style approach. he said its not like a Wichter or a Breath of the wild in terms of interaction, but the game is very good and gives freedon to do what you whant to do"

There's a couple more posts in the link - No bugs in the unpatched version was about the only point of importance. Oh and no big cities discovered yet. I'd be surprised if there are any - in the context of the time period Tsushima only had a population of 300!
Cantwait.gif

CrysisFreak

Banned

Nice.
Looks great, is polished and pleasant to play.

ToadMan

How is Witcher (any of them) a good example of world interaction?

Yeah I was wondering what “interaction” meant.

Could be something as simple as the physics of the world and character, or something about the NPC and story building for things like side quests.

Perhaps there’s just not a lot of branching choices with side quests? But the again BoTW didn’t have much of that did it?

Last edited:

GymWolf

I watched that video and the way I see it every single thing he said we knew already by piecing together various info on the game. Meanwhile he presents this as exclusive info from early review copies.
And that's after he was shitting up twitter with contradicting info. I think he's an annoying attention whore at this point lmao.
Same thought, i bet the guy doesn't even possess the game.

HotPocket69

Banned
Is this the first AAA game in history without a single preview or handa on before launch?

This premiered a month or so ago and was the first actual look at the gameplay. You don’t consider this a preview?

Straight up pretty, Ubi checklist game. There’s not even a pickup animation when gathering materials 🤣 That’s some Creed ass Creed shit right there.

Last edited:

J3nga

This premiered a month or so ago and was the first actual look at the gameplay. You don’t consider this a preview?

Straight up pretty, Ubi checklist game. There’s not even a pickup animation when gathering materials 🤣 That’s some Creed ass Creed shit right there.

I don't, it's Sony's SoP presentation, it what way that would be considered a preview?

CrysisFreak

Banned
In what way isn’t it one? It’s showing off various parts of the game before release.

Do you mean a PRE review?
Previews usually come in from various review sites, SOP is basically a gameplay presentation, an extended trailer, there are no opinions, just official marketing statements.
Nothing personal, kiddo.

THEAP99

Banned
Is this the first AAA game in history without a single preview or handa on before launch?
Death stranding didn’t get any. But yeah, this one is out of the norm for a Sony exclusive not getting hands on previews. Death stranding was just the exception. Ridiculous that this has no hands on previews

Arkam

But dont reviews drop the 14th and the game releases on the 17th? Did they push the embargo back (after putting the game in reviewer hands?)

CrysisFreak

Banned
You should respec my onion balls on your chin.
DetailedAdvancedCutworm-size_restricted.gif

nowhat

Previews usually come in from various review sites, SOP is basically a gameplay presentation, an extended trailer, there are no opinions, just official marketing statements.
Nothing personal, kiddo.
Yeah, we still get the review embargo lifted some days before release. It's not like some other companies *cough*Bethesda*cough* who refuse to give out review copies outright.

GymWolf

Lol no, it is not, that is footage that sony released, so yeah, we didn't had a single preview from journalist who actually played the game.

And yes, this is clearly ac samurai from sony so we can only hope the quality is a bit higher.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Lol no, it is not, that is footage that sony released, so yeah, we didn't had a single preview from journalist who actually played the game.

And yes, this is clearly ac samurai from sony so we can only hope the quality is a bit higher.

So a preview ISN’T a look at something before it releases is what you’re saying?

GymWolf

So a preview ISN’T a look at something before it releases is what you’re saying?
Usually a preview in videogames is when someone who doesn't work for sony can tell me his feeling about the game after a try.

That is an overview footage, you can call it preview technically, but it's not what 99% of players expect.

Do you remember the last AAA without a single media preview before reviews?

DS was a strange secretive game and that was the reason why it didn't have previews.

But this one? A run of the mill open world with batman combat and AC core structure? It's very strange that no one tried it.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Usually a preview in videogames is when someone who doesn't work for sony can tell me his feeling about the game after a try.

That is an overview footage, you can call it preview technically, but it's not what 99% of players expect.

Do you remember the last AAA without a single media preview before reviews?

DS was a strange secretive game and that was the reason why it didn't have previews.

But this one? A run of the mill open world with batman combat and AC core structure? It's very strange that no one tried it.

Alright so you guys are wanting some sort of hands on impressions from YouTubers or industry peeps and what was shown at State of Play basically doesn’t count. Got it 👌🏼

Last edited:

J3nga

In what way isn’t it one? It’s showing off various parts of the game before release.

Do you mean a PRE review?
Then any material provided by the publisher could be considered a preview going by your logic, but is it? Preview is when blogger, outlet etc. Covers certain aspects of the game after having played the game x amount of hours. Was this the case? No.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Alright so you guys are wanting some sort of hands on impressions from YouTubers or industry peeps and what was shown at State if Play basically doesn’t count. Got it 👌🏼
Dude are you being obtuse on purpose?? People already explained you what they mean with the word previews, you can be happy with all the footage from sony, nobody is shitting on you for that, but some people want to hear what other people think even if they are payed shills.

I don't even care what journalist have to say usually but i can read between lines and still finding some useful info in previews.

What you saw till now is just marketing, you only know what sony told you, some people are okay but some people want to hear an external opinions when they have to spend 70 dollars on a game.

Rdr2 and gta 5 had this type of marketing and in their video you can hear how good they talk about the combat system in their games and we all know how it ended, so sorry if people doesn't trust what sony has to say about his damn game.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Dude are you being obtuse on purpose?? People already explained you what they mean with the word previews, you can be happy with all the footage from sony, nobody is shitting on you for that, but some people want to hear what other people think even if they are payed shills.

I don't even care what journalist have to say usually but i can read between lines and still finding some useful info in previews.

What you saw till now is just marketing, you only know what sony told you, some people are okay but some people want to hear an external opinions when they have to spend 70 dollars on a game.

Rdr2 and gta 5 had this type of marketing and in their video you can hear how good they talk about the combat system in their games and we all know how it ended, so sorry if people doesn't trust what sony has to say about his damn game.

I don’t trust what other people have to say about it either. You saw already some like-seeking dipshit making comparisons to Witcher 3 and then of course, gotta name drop BOTW for that extra TWITTER SURGE boost!

I’ll make my own judgment when it’s in my hands next week.

nowhat

Still waiting for more screenshots tbh
I'm actually a descendant of Nostradamus - I don't make a huge number out of it, as people would be asking my predictions about everything, but what the hell, I'm feeling generous. This one's free.

There will be more screenshots on 14th of July.

It’s fast pacing game. Adding pickup animation will make the pacing slower i guess. I don’t think there is other reason for that because they’ve been working on this game for 7 years.
I rather don’t have pick up animation than have to get off the horse and pick up flower or shits like slow ass rdr2 lol. Not saying rdr2 is bad but this is just my opinion.

nowhat

I rather don’t have pick up animation than have to get off the horse and pick up flower or shits like slow ass rdr2 lol. Not saying rdr2 is bad but this is just my opinion.
Whether RDR2 is bad or not is up for another debate (personally I don't hate it, but don't love it either), but the meticulous animations actively hinder gameplay, I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Like, you just finished a gun battle. You're looting downed enemies/the surroundings. Your posse keeps yelling "get on with it!" - well I fucking would if I fucking could. And don't give me any of that realism bullshit, you pick up ammo simply by walking over it.

GymWolf

I don’t trust what other people have to say about it either. You saw already some like-seeking dipshit making comparisons to Witcher 3 and then of course, gotta name drop BOTW for that extra TWITTER SURGE boost!

I’ll make my own judgment when it’s in my hands next week.
yeah, my point was only that it's very strange that a game like this has literally zero of what most people consider previews.

Raven117

I watched Seven Samurai over the weekend (first viewing) to get ready.

if y’all haven’t seen it, I suggest you do. Holy freakin smokes that movie is awesome on so many levels.

as for the game, it looks great and I can’t wait to play it. Just crusin around on horse back with that art style and music will carry me most of the way there.

I bet on a 86 to 92 score. Sucker Punch is a great studio, but their games follow a strict pattern/formula to their world (liberating zones, doing side missions, gathering collectibles, then move to the next location and repeat). So I can see a lot of reviews trying to compare not for what it is or it's aiming to. It is bound to happen being compared with Ubisoft games and the GTAs of every time. The only thing that can set it apart from most of them is the setting, the narrative being compelling, and the gameplay (they generally nail the gameplay).

I'm sure this game will be great to complete and have multiple runs because of the famous "karma" system of Sucker Punch's games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
if y’all haven’t seen it, I suggest you do. Holy freakin smokes that movie is awesome on so many levels.
I'm surprised how much fun the movie was despite its age, I tired to watch Godfather and Star Wars, but every time I do, I got bored out of my mind, but both Seven Samurai and Yojimbo was actually really fun movie to watch.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I'm sure this game will be great to complete and have multiple runs because of the famous "karma" system of Sucker Punch's games.
Pretty sure they said there is no karma system in GoT. Your choice is to tackle encounters as a Ghost (sneaky sneaky) or Samurai (fluid swordplay).

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this game is gonna bomb. i have still yet to see anything exciting.

the only good samurai game is Sekiro (No, Nioh doesn't count either). this looks like some cheap ass action game with a Sekiro rip off skin slapped on.

no doubt the Sony Fan Boys will praise it as some masterpiece....

suckerpunch should've stayed with infamous.

Last edited:
Top Bottom