• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

quetz67

Banned
Just saw the London video, and I must say it doesnt look much better than the PGR4 city tracks or others. It is a little underwhelming.

Not that the modeling and textures arent great, there is even lots of AO, but I think the lighting in a real city street probably is just much more complex than consoles can handle.

And it is obviously more apparent to the human brain than it is in more open tracks. It just doesnt feel real, especially the cars dont seem to really belong there.

quetz67 said:
Just saw the London video, and I must say it doesnt look much better than the PGR4 city tracks or others. It is a little underwhelming.

Not that the modeling and textures arent great, there is even lots of AO, but I think the lighting in a real city street probably is just much more complex than consoles can handle.

And it is obviously more apparent to the human brain than it is in more open tracks. It just doesnt feel real, especially the cars dont seem to really belong there.

So it does look better. And with 16 cars, and 200k poly per car, etc etc... What's the problem then? :p

sugaki

I live my life one quarter-mile at a time
Complaining about a wiper blade? Talk about petty. That has nothing to do with being a journalist.

What bugs me the most is the skidding sound--it sucks just like the other Gran Turismos. There should be a lot more variation--especially since that's the sound you hear the most, second to the engine roar.

Game looks great though.

deepbrown

quetz67 said:

Aye we're not in realism just yet...what the hell were you expecting! lol

Oh and GT5 cars do feel as if they are there - definitely the best car models by a LONG way.

centracore

Since the game does release in Japan on December 13th my educated guess is that they would throw it up on the PSN around the same time stores open there - if that's the case we should see it within 2-3 hours... hopefully.

XonoX

Very excited for Prologue. Can anybody tell me ;

1) Does the JAP version have English menus selectable ?

2) Is there any talk about collisions being able to be turned off in the online mode ?

Some of the best online racing i ever had was with NFS5 - Porsche with collisions off.

It was then all about who had the cleanest lines, regardless of who was in your way. Helped me learn the art of finding the sweetest line through a corner.

Pimpwerx

Zabojnik said:
Yes, well, what about drifting then? Or locking your brakes up? Burnouts? It's not a big deal, I'm just saying. :)
Not sure you see much rubber behind in drifting. Much of it burns iirc. Lockups and burnouts should leave marks, but not necessarily like other games. It really comes down to tire compound used, track abrasiveness and driving style. Watch a race track "rubber in" after a rain storm sometime. We see it a lot in F1, and the racing line never gets tire "streaks" just an ever-darkening patch of tarmac. Rather gradual and subtle. PEACE.

I would still be nice if the cars left some form of rubber when under heavy grip loss of sorts, it helps add to the feeling because right now to me skidding cars in gt remind me of racing on ice.

spwolf

quetz67 said:
but I think the lighting in a real city street probably is just much more complex than consoles can handle.

i wouldnt complain about lighting since GT5P has gone where none has gone before. Lighting is actually pretty damn awesome.

If you want to bitch about graphics being only "a bit" better than some other game, show the pics to back it up.

deepbrown said:
Not nonsense. Bright white light on hard edges has an effect on AA. It's a conclusion met on B3d and we're also trying to understand it. But it is the theory at this moment in time.

Not hard to understand either...AA is a way of shading edges so they remove the jagged edge. When you have two contrasting colours - a harsh white against a dark background, the AA is much harder to achieve.

So you're saying the HDR is making the lighting have more contrast, hence more jaggies. I guess so, but it's also just a classic problem of fine polygonal edges meet realtime lightsource.

The car models are without question the most realistic ever seen, I am however in agreement with a few others.

I prefer the look of PGR4's environments, but it's mainly because it has a slightly more stylised appearance.

Technically GT5 Prologue is closer to 'real-life' but as I've elaborated some time ago, I think it looses something in the precise clinical approach.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:
cmn TTP, put that capture card to use :D

lol DJ already did the capture part. I'll just play :p

Downloading now. It's huge: 1,8GB

Downloading fairly fast: 5% now

Sirolf

Downloading it right now :D
Question : it's only 1,8 go whereas the retail disc requires 5 Go to install.
What are we missing?The intro ?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
TTP said:
The problem is no one is as annoyed as me. The world sucks for not being like me!

:p

rejoice, you're not alone :p

seriously, gaf, there are people who, due to acquired or innate senses, spot these things immediately, and it bugs them. especially when they originally have high expectations for the game's visuals (and who doesn't when it comes from PD?).

the one issue i've had with the new gt ever since i firts played gthd is the inadequate resolution of the shadowmaps in it - they cause quite some shimmer in various situations where surface edges fall in/out of shadow.

small ridges seld-shadowing the surface below - shimmer (all kinds of grooves and spoilers).
thin surface stripes casting a shadow - shimmer (hello, cockpit view!).

now, i'm not accusing PD of anything - everybody who's ever touched texture-based shadows knows what a bitch that problem is to tackle, taking into account hw limitations and stuff. but still, a shimmering artefact in the middle of your view is nothing you can neglect if you were unfotunate enough to be able to spot it in the first place.

i suspect the windscreen wipers might be an example of that shadowmaps issue, but i still have to play gt5p to tell. anyhow, i do hope PD address the issue by gt5, otherwise i'll be driving thousands of kilometers in a less-than-perfect racer ; )

f@luS

More than a member.
sirolf, tu as acheté une carte de 5000Y sur ebay?

blu said:
rejoice, you're not alone :p

seriously, gaf, there are people who, due to acquired or innate senses, spot these things immediately, and it bugs them. especially when they originally have high expectations for the game's visuals (and who doesn't when it comes from PD?).

the thing is , that im one of these guy , and its too mutch bitchin' for gt5, this game looks gorgeous

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Sirolf said:
Downloading it right now :D
Question : it's only 1,8 go whereas the retail disc requires 5 Go to install.
What are we missing?The intro ?

maybe those 5GB are reserved space for future content (?)

edit: I love you blu

1316_0024.jpg

The trees look more detailed than the ones in the demo, as far as I can see

Sirolf

f@luS said:
sirolf, tu as acheté une carte de 5000Y sur ebay?
Ouep l'ebayeur cité plus haut!
Voila le lien : http://cgi.ebay.fr/Playstation-Netw...yZ147177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hyper rapide et sérieux..Dans l'hypothèse ou tu te décides à lui prendre maintenant,tu aurais le code dans quelques heures vu le décalage.En tout cas ,moi j'ai craqué :lol

TTP said:
maybe those 5GB are reserved space for future content (?)
I hope so!

10%....

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
f@luS said:
the thing is , that im one of these guy , and its too mutch bitchin' for gt5, this game looks gorgeous

it does indeed - PD are simply the pinnacle this civilizations has to offer when it comes to visuals in consumer racing sims. but the bugging feeling remains, and it'll take time for those who suffer from it to overcome it.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sirolf said:
Voila le lien : http://cgi.ebay.fr/Playstation-Netw...yZ147177QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Hyper rapide et sérieux..Dans l'hypothèse ou tu te décides à lui prendre maintenant,tu aurais le code dans quelques heures vu le décalage.En tout cas ,moi j'ai craqué :lol
rah la tentation :x . Tu pourras me dire s'il est locké sur un compte? ca membeterrai d utiliser mon compte jap pour y jouer forcément (warhawk est bloké compte...).

Goldrusher

Sirolf said:

5000 yen = 30 euro
That guy is selling them for a whopping 47. Like the game isn't expensive enough already. :/

f@luS said:
rah la tentation :x . Tu pourras me dire s'il est locké sur un compte? ca membeterrai d utiliser mon compte jap pour y jouer forcément (warhawk est bloké compte...).

Good question.

Sirolf

f@luS said:

Pas de soucis..Je vais attendre la fin du DL là et je teste,puis je te poste ça...Vais encore être bien au taf demain moi ;)

Goldrusher

Sirolf said:
Pas de soucis..Je vais attendre la fin du DL là et je teste,puis je te poste ça...Vais encore être bien au taf demain moi ;)

This is NeoGAF, not NouveauGAF. :lol

Anyway, let us know if you can play the game on another account than the one who bought it. (f@luS' question) And maybe try installing it on a second PS3 as well.

f@luS

More than a member.
Sirolf said:
arigato....et bienvenu au club des insomniacs ! Ducoup, j'attend ton feedback moi :lol
Demain ca risque d etre GT5P , la demo de burnout, et mon UT3 acheté sur ebay :eek:.

goldrusher : yeah quite expensive, the BD version is almost cheaper including shipping but...can..you...wait ? :D

Sirolf

Goldrusher said:
This is NeoGAF, not NouveauGAF. :lol

Anyway, let us know if you can play the game on another account than the one who bought it. And maybe try installing it on a second PS3 as well.

:lol

Yes absolutely i will post once i've installed it..But i think TTP will be one of the first.

arigato....et bienvenu au club des insomniacs ! Ducoup, j'attend ton feedback moi
Demain ca risque d etre GT5P , la demo de burnout, et mon UT3 acheté sur ebay :eek:.

héhé mon UT3 arrive demain aussi XD

spwolf said:
i wouldnt complain about lighting since GT5P has gone where none has gone before. Lighting is actually pretty damn awesome.

If you want to bitch about graphics being only "a bit" better than some other game, show the pics to back it up.

Don't go there. Please.

TwIsTeD

tried putting in my mastercard info on the psn store knowing it was not going to work, i dont want to pay an extra 25 dollars for psn money and waiting for play-asia to ship the disc is'nt cutting it either, anyone want to share lol

Top Bottom