• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

f@luS

More than a member.
TTP said:
That's why I question the PDI decision to go 1080p. I'm pretty sure they can't do stuff they could if they just kept it 720p. I dont even have a 1080p and yet have to suffer from it.

720 P AA*4
1080P AA*2

Everyone is happy (exept you). Prologue demo was already one of the most clean racing game this game (much cleaner than PGR4 , Ridge racer 6/7 , im not even talking about Forza 2..., maybe CMR is as clean, but he was kinda blurry ), and is the most advanced visually. I dont know what youre expecting, but you should wake up !

weedlewalker: wow@ the crap t_t

spwolf

TTP said:
I'm talking about the Fuji vid.

And no, there are no tire marks anywhere

shit, i cant download fuji, i will be way over the limit... I will just get the game and see it then :).

You mean there are tire marks, but they are already on the surface as textures?

Pimpwerx

Zabojnik said:
Still no temporary or permanent tyre marks tho. Why is that? Does this feature take a lot of resources or something? I'm genuinely curious, as this seems a pretty obvious thing to have in a racing game, graphics wise.
Not realistic. And that's pretty much it. Rubber builds up in the racing line, which is why it's darker than the rest of the pavement, but rarely in visible lines unless it's a gross lockup. PEACE.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:
shit, i cant download fuji, i will be way over the limit... I will just get the game and see it then :).

Well, it's the very same issue as with the demo. So if you didnt see it, u wont see it here.

spwolf

spwolf said:

i just watched london again on tv, on ps3 and wipers look fine - it looks as if there are some compression artifacts around wipers, but hard to notice.

I played GT5P demo again and hole thing is seriously upgraded on the videos. There is a lot less aliasing and couldnt notice weird shadows in in-car view either.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
f@luS said:
720 P AA*4
1080P AA*2

Everyone is happy (exept you). Prologue demo was already one of the most clean racing game this game (much cleaner than PGR4 , Ridge racer 6/7 , im not even talking about Forza 2..., maybe CMR is as clean, but he was kinda blurry ), and is the most advanced visually. I dont know what youre expecting, but you should wake up !

AA has nothing to do with this. I dont know what causes it, but it's not simple jaggies I'm talking about. It's the flickering.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
spwolf said:
i just watched london again on tv, on ps3 and wipers look fine - it looks as if there are some compression artifacts around wipers, but hard to notice.

I played GT5P demo again and hole thing is seriously upgraded on the videos. There is a lot less aliasing and couldnt notice weird shadows in in-car view either.

In the London track you are almost in the shadow all the time. Of course you dont see those issues there. But they are there as much as they were in the demo.

Here is a pic of the wipers

1316_0005.jpg

You see those "white" lines on them? They keep trembling all the time and that annoys me to no end.

Topfuel

f@luS said:
720 P AA*4
1080P AA*2

Sure.......

f@luS

More than a member.
TTP said:
AA has nothing to do with this. I dont know what causes it, but it's not simple jaggies I'm talking about. It's the flickering.
and it was really low when playing the demo for me ( kinda big at a friend but his tv wasnt well calibrated...) , and really it has less shimering than many other racing games (not saying which one though :eek:)

Topfuel said:
Sure.......

You dare go against the crazy pixel counter who said this? :lol:

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
antiloop said:
In the intro video I can see skid marks though. From the segments that look like replays.

I ment you dont leave them. They are just there from the start.

spwolf

TTP said:
In the London track you are almost in the shadow all the time. Of course you dont see those issues there. But they are there as much as they were in the demo.

You see those "white" lines on them? They keep trembling all the time and that annoys me to no end.

yeah, i just played on lap on the demo and know what you mean, doesnt bug me, thank god :).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
f@luS said:
and it was really low when playing the demo for me ( kinda big at a friend but his tv wasnt well calibrated...) , and really it has less shimering than many other racing games (not saying which one though :eek:)

This shit about no perfectly calibrated HDTV needs to end. I know how to calibrate my stuff. And GT5P is not the only game I play on it.

Just admit problems are there but u dont mind (while I do) and we can still be friends.

Ranger X

TTP i hope you are openly stating yourself as a graphic whore. :lol

Nothing against you, i'm just poking but i seriously wish i will never ever in my life look at games like you do and stop at such details...

Jesus said:

Posted over 10 times.

TTP said:
This shit about no perfectly calibrated HDTV needs to end. I know how to calibrate my stuff. And GT5P is not the only game I play on it.

Just admit problems are there but u dont mind (while I do) and we can still be friends.

Why is it a problem when only you see it as one? :p

Dever

Banned
Yeah, I noticed those wipers too. It kind of stands of when everything else looks so good. But nevertheless, my mind is blown. Fuji is a much simpler track than London, so it packs more of that sweet, sweet photorealism. I kind of wished for more racing from third-person camera though.

f@luS

More than a member.
TTP said:

So what? i have to admit something wrong? this game is really really clean. There is a bit of shimering, like all racing game with fences have . Nothing to talk for ages , so i hope we wont.

vpance

Buy a 720/768p TV, run the game at 1080p and sit at a recommended distance. It's gonna be the best thing you can do to minimize aliasing imo.

GrayFoxPL

TTP said:
Damn they didn't fix shit. Still shimmering and will look worse "live" via HDMI. Oh well. Money is already in the Wallet.

Can't say about the frame rate as vid is 30fps, but I can clearly see some issues with tearing and stuff. Why the fuck did you go 1080p PDI? WHY!?!?

Dude, you'll never be able to enjoy a game. Ever.

I'm anal too, but if from time to time I didn't say to myself: "Oh, well. Nothing is perfect." I wouldn't be able to play any game.

Don't go that anal route! Don't!

Go schizophrenic! :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
vpance said:
Buy a 720/768p TV, run the game at 1080p and sit at a recommended distance. It's gonna be the best thing you can do to minimize aliasing imo.

Yeah, a blue screen with a "no signal" message jumping around will totally fix the problem.

Sorry, I'm getting hangry here. Need to calm down.

vpance

TTP said:
Yeah, a blue screen with a "no signal" message jumping around will totally fix the problem

There's many HDTVs that support 1080p signal but only have 720/768p panels, like the newer plasmas. I ran the game at 1080p on my Pio 5080 and it looked much cleaner than at 720p. The downscale helps alot.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
GrayFoxPL said:
Dude, you'll never be able to enjoy a game. Ever.

I did enjoy Resistance, Warhawk and Uncharted pretty fine. They too have issues but you got to go look for them. In GT5P, they are like tossed at my face all the time.

You see this awesome cockpit TTP? HERE TAKE THESE FLICKERING WIPERS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN!
You see the awesome car model TTP? HERE TAKE THESE SHIMMERING EDGES ALL OVER IT!
You see the awesome lighting TTP? HERE TAKE THESE GLITCHY SHADOWS OVER THE PLATE!

f@luS

More than a member.
oh jeez, hopeless TTP. I'm sorry for you !

now maybe you can stop spamming that
false crap
:D ;)

TTP said:
The problem is no one is as annoyed as me. The world sucks for not being like me!

:p
I just went a couple of laps on GT5P demo to see if it bothered me. It only seems to happen when the sun is in front of you, directly in front, if it's side ways or in the back it's smooth as silk. And tbh I had never noticed that until now. I'm way more distracted by the self shadowing on the other cars.

I was using the Evo X

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
vpance said:
There's many HDTVs that support 1080p signal but only have 720/768p panels, like the newer plasmas. I ran the game at 1080p on my Pio 5080 and it looked much cleaner than at 720p. The downscale helps alot.

Yeah, probably. But I cannot afford a new HDTV now. :/
Hopefully GT5P supports remote play on the PSP. Would look perfect there :p

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Metalmurphy said:
I just went a couple of laps on GT5P demo to see if it bothered me. It only seems to happen when the sun is in front of you, directly in front, if it's side ways or in the back it's smooth as silk. And tbh I had never noticed that until now. I'm way more distracted by the self shadowing on the other cars.

Yes, when black they are perfect indeed. REMOVE THE REFLECTIONS ON THE WIPERS PDI!!! Seriously, they don't add anything to the overall image, they actually hurt it. REMOVE!

f@luS

More than a member.
SolidSnakex said:
If you want another example of this take a little trip to the OT and watch as people complain about how Kristen Bell looks.
That fugly chick? i guess a lot of people are complaining !

edit : im writing to Poly, asking them to hire TTP coz he knows the SHIT !

vpance

I wonder if they will add dirt, dust, grime effects, and reflection off the windshield. Maybe PD thinks it's going to far and spoils the beauty of the game. But I think it would be awesome if done subtlety.

deepbrown

TTP said:

Hi TTP...that's the HDR cancelling out the AA. That's quite difficult to avoid and get over. I'd expect a breakthrough in the next year...a problem other developers would never hope to solve.

deepbrown said:
Hi TTP...that's the HDR cancelling out the AA. That's quite difficult to avoid and get over. I'd expect a breakthrough in the next year...a problem other developers would never hope to solve.

Utter nonsense. Explain how HDR lighting cancels out anti-aliasing when in shadow.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Looks like shimmering or something like that to me. It's not that noticeable on my system.

Either way, it's definitely a life/death situation that clearly needs to be resolved by re-evaluating your relationship with your PS3 and in turn, burning it for it's blasphemous acts and graphical shortcomings.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Despite the glitches this game has it is by far the best looking racing game out there. I think the bitching over minute issues only cements that.

TTP said:

I don´t see anything...

Did you clean your screen properly?... :lol

J/K

The game looks amazing,it have some glitches here and there,but of course we talking about a demo...

Tom Penny

TTP said:
You see this awesome cockpit TTP? HERE TAKE THESE FLICKERING WIPERS RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SCREEN!
You see the awesome car model TTP? HERE TAKE THESE SHIMMERING EDGES ALL OVER IT!
You see the awesome lighting TTP? HERE TAKE THESE GLITCHY SHADOWS OVER THE PLATE!

Why even bother to play videogames when minor things get your panties in a bunch? I don't see how you enjoy games. Anybody can pick out a graphical flaw in any game ever made.

Firewire

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Why even bother to play videogames when minor things get your panties in a bunch? I don't see how you enjoy games. Anybody can pick out a graphical flaw in any game ever made.

He's a game journalist, he's trained to see these things.

Its better when you don't know shit about screen tearing, shimmering an stuff, because then you don't actively look for it. For TTP, its to late! The graphics whore in him has taken over his soul!

deepbrown

GauntletFan said:
Utter nonsense. Explain how HDR lighting cancels out anti-aliasing when in shadow.
Not nonsense. Bright white light on hard edges has an effect on AA. It's a conclusion met on B3d and we're also trying to understand it. But it is the theory at this moment in time.

Not hard to understand either...AA is a way of shading edges so they remove the jagged edge. When you have two contrasting colours - a harsh white against a dark background, the AA is much harder to achieve.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
well thats 4am Japan time, and nothing

hang on, does Japan have daylight savings? Is it 8 hours ahead of hte UK now, or 9?

Zabojnik

Pimpwerx said:
Not realistic. And that's pretty much it. Rubber builds up in the racing line, which is why it's darker than the rest of the pavement, but rarely in visible lines unless it's a gross lockup. PEACE.

Yes, well, what about drifting then? Or locking your brakes up? Burnouts? It's not a big deal, I'm just saying. :)

Top Bottom