• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

Dibbz

Ranger X said:
Most street cars are using ABS so it should be there when i buy that street car if i want it to be realistic. So is it an option to turn it off or there's no ABS at all?
From the sounds of it you can still have the option to keep it on. Default is on I think, but when you set ABS to 0 the wheels can actually lock up now. Before they wouldn't lock even if you slammed the brakes.

Dibbz said:
From the sounds of it you can still have the option to keep it on. Default is on I think, but when you set ABS to 0 the wheels can actually lock up now. Before they wouldn't lock even if you slammed the brakes.

Does anyone have an idea what kind of ABS it is? Is it some general game setting like in most console racing games or does it simulate the ABS system of a specific car? Same goes for TCS.

Elios83

Dibbz said:
WTF it isn't out till Friday...

IS IT?!?

No, actually you can find it in stores today ;) at least in italian stores.
But I'll pick it up tomorrow which is the official release day for continental europe for three games: GT5P, HSG5 and GOW for PSP.

Elios83 said:
No, actually you can find it in stores today ;) at least in italian stores.
But I'll pick it up tomorrow which is the official release day for continental europe for three games: GT5P, HSG5 and GOW for PSP.

You bastard!

I wish I could sleep until the 17th of April...

Mobius 1

avaya said:
Unlcuky. Seems like the NA opening sequence is epic fail compared to the godlike EU version and great Japanese version.

As always. What is the problem with SCEA ruining every single GT intro in history?

What

The

FUCK!?!

Niks

Man NA intro sucks bigtime. I mean WTF???
Who in his right mind would approve that? Im not even going to mention the music....WTF at 0:30secs???

Seriously SCEA.

avaya said:
Unlcuky. Seems like the NA opening sequence is epic fail compared to the godlike EU version and great Japanese version.

The actual footage they use in the US version is pretty good it's just the song they picked that ends up killing it.

avaya

SolidSnakex said:
The actual footage they use in the US version is pretty good it's just the song they picked that ends up killing it.

I'd agree with that. Why change the song at all. Makes no sense.

Niks

SolidSnakex said:

No driver getting into the cockpit. no F1 shot at the end.
Fails

avaya

Niks said:
No driver getting into the cockpit. no F1 shot at the end.
Fails

To be fair cockteasing F1 in the NA version outside of Canada and a minority of the US audience would get a lot of dumbstruck faces.

nib95

Banned
Truespeed said:
Just curious - what type of TV do you have? It's like I'm looking through a screen door.

I'm using a Pioneer Kuro. Just has lots of moire in the photo's due to issues with my digi cam.

test_account

XP-39C²
sportzhead said:
See my problem with the in-car view darkness is that it does not look like that when you are actually inside a car while driving. That is what it looks like when a camera is filming from inside a car. So my question is, are we supposed to be in the car in GT5, or spectating like we are watching it on TV?

I'm pretty sure the in-car view in GT5:p is set from the drivers eyes, and not some external camera, but someone correct me if i'm wrong :)

have you ever driven a car? if you need to be so far back you must be 2.1m tall.
Its hardly rocket science/'accuracy' why they put the view so far back, they just want to show off the interior. If they had any brains, they would allow you free look inside, it would solve the black issue.

Templar Wizard said:
have you ever driven a car? if you need to be so far back you must be 2.1m tall.
Its hardly rocket science/'accuracy' why they put the view so far back, they just want to show off the interior. If they had any brains, they would allow you free look inside, it would solve the black issue.

The placement of the driver has nothing to due with this little discussion. Did you even read what was said? The problem here is the developers vision (no pun intended:D). Does PD want a "from the eyes of a human driver" or a "from the lens of a camera" look.

Kittonwy

Banned
Jfc.
Indifferent2.gif

About private races etc.

In the comments section of his most recent post on the PlayStation.Blog, SCEA producer Takau Imasaki mentioned that in-game voice chat and a private race setting will be available for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue in later updates. Now this news comes in as semi-official as it was not part of the original post, but was made in response to a reader's question. Imasaki wrote, "Private races with buddies and in-game chat are all in the works... but will not be ready from day one. Will keep you posted on the progress!"

We're hoping Mr. Imasaki makes sure that promise is kept. While we won't be seeing these additions by the time Prologue drives its way home with us, we're still anxiously awaiting to hit the GT racing circuit nonetheless. These new features are definitely great, but we can live without them for just a bit longer.

VonGak!

Banned
weedlewalker said:
Oh yeah well.....ummm.....but......

crap.....

^.^ This real life darkness inside a car incident made me wonder if there's actually game reporters who are qualified to review GT.

Because it seems like many on the net, especially game reporters, live in a dream world when it comes to sit in an actual car, just a few examples:

- Tires do scream when one beats the car around in the corners like a maniac (does one drive like the AI there's almost no tire screaming)

- The Gamespot review of GT4 made med laugh out loud, the silly goof thought that the car actually makes a clunk sound when changing gears and blamed GT4 for being unrealistic.

- There still exist a the silly idea that racing tracks are paved with tarmac though they decades ago changed to asphalt. Some games like Forza and PGR emulates tarmac because it's more bumpy bubbly giving a better 3D effect though quite unrealistic.

- Skid-marks on tracks, these only happen when the wheels are entirely blocked which would be a rather stupid thing to do.

- The dashboards are too dark, well they are designed to be dark so the driver actually can see them without reflexions from the sun.

- Finishing a race in a wrecked car, that stuff only happens in Le Mans where the car spends minutes to hours in the pit. That and Hollywood movies.

- Cars do not explode when they roll over or one shoots bullets at the gas tank (a cheap stab at Gamespot again for a stupid comment in their review of Freedom Fighters)

My point is that we should look the GT5P/GT5 reviews in car mags instead.

Dibbz said:
Spec II sounds awesome. I never noticed the lack of wheel locking before. Should be awesome to see wheel lock ups in replays watching other drivers slide of the track :D

Meh they can already slide out, it will be more interesting this in the final game opens up for flat spots on the tires punishing the player for the rest of the race. :D
Now we just need grass on the tires as punishment for cutting corners.

deepbrown

VonGak! said:
^.^ This real life darkness inside a car incident made me wonder if there's actually game reporters who are qualified to review GT.

Because it seems like many on the net, especially game reporters, live in a dream world when it comes to sit in an actual car, just a few examples:

- Tires do scream when one beats the car around in the corners like a maniac (does one drive like the AI there's almost no tire screaming)

- The Gamespot review of GT4 made med laugh out loud, the silly goof thought that the car actually makes a clunk sound when changing gears and blamed GT4 for being unrealistic.

- There still exist a the silly idea that racing tracks are paved with tarmac though they decades ago changed to asphalt. Some games like Forza and PGR emulates tarmac because it's more bumpy bubbly giving a better 3D effect though quite unrealistic.

- Skid-marks on tracks, these only happen when the wheels are entirely blocked which would be a rather stupid thing to do.

- The dashboards are too dark, well they are designed to be dark so the driver actually can see them without reflexions from the sun.

- Finishing a race in a wrecked car, that stuff only happens in Le Mans where the car spends minutes to hours in the pit. That and Hollywood movies.

- Cars do not explode when they roll over or one shoots bullets at the gas tank (a cheap stab at Gamespot again for a stupid comment in their review of Freedom Fighters)

My point is that we should look the GT5P/GT5 reviews in car mags instead.

Meh they can already slide out, it will be more interesting this in the final game opens up for flat spots on the tires punishing the player for the rest of the race. :D
Now we just need grass on the tires as punishment for cutting corners.

Yesss. Stop asking for Skid marks people! Do you see them on roads much, if ever? Tires would last five seconds if they were everywhere.

VonGak! said:

If you read reviews from people like Clarkson and some of the race drivers that have discussed GT they're very different from game reviewers views on the game.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
deepbrown said:
Yesss. Stop asking for Skid marks people! Do you see them on roads much, if ever? Tires would last five seconds if they were everywhere.

Roads are not race tracks.

Kinan

Real tracks do have skid marks:

Turn2GMoore.jpg

But they are accumulated over time due to emergency situations, its not like you should leave skid marks if you driving properly.

Since now you can lock wheels, proper skid marks implementation should be possible. If anyone can do it right - its Polyphony.

VonGak!

Banned
Router said:
Roads are not race tracks.
If any, tire marks are more noticeable on ordinary roads because on race tracks they blend in with the thin layer of rubber left after each race.

I'm not claiming that skid marks do not exist outside underwear, just that they aren't as exaggerated as in Back to the Future. It takes time and effort to leave such a mark when burning tires (an aspect GT games aren't even simulating yet, wouldn't mind if they did though).
You can perfectly drift on an ordinary road without leaving noticeable marks.

But with the move to let the player fully block the tires I bet PD will include tire marks (where they belong) in the final game.
After all, it's not due to PS2 couldn't handle skid marks or PD having financial issues that tire that marks haven't been included yet. It's about an anal developer wanting things to be done perfect or not included at all, like drifting and drag racing were scraped from GT4.

Top Bottom