• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue The Official Thread of Glorious Cockpit View

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Geezer said:

261gl8n.png

nib95

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I have yet yo play GT5:p (cannot wait), but certainly based on the demo I still remain uncorrected.

Lol. I've found that 99% of those that whine and bitch haven't actually played the game. Replay graphics are the same as in-game. Only difference being in-game doesn't have the added post processing of the motion blur and focusing/depth of field.

People are confusing the PR shots (which have 16xAA and touch ups) to the replay/in-game visuals.

Opus Angelorum said:
I have yet yo play GT5:p (cannot wait), but certainly based on the demo I still remain uncorrected.
I guess you skipped through all the in game shots in this thread then?

For sure it doesn't look that as amazing as the replays do but it's like comparing the Killzone 2 target trailer with the in game trailer that was shown. The difference are there but their at a level that is hard to complain about and it still has a big wow factor to it.

nib95

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
That difference for me is huge, and the same can be said of Forza 2 and Halo 3.

No...no...trust me it isn't.

Like I said. You are confusing PR promo shots (which 80% of the time happen to be in replay mode) to actual replay/in-game shots. See the many screens I've posted over the last few pages. Replay and in-game alike. They are the same. Only difference is that in the replay shots the backgrounds are often blurred and you get nicer camera angles.

nib95 said:
I spoke to one of the lead designers working on the game earlier today. He told me a few other bits and bobs too. haven't made a GAF thread or post about it all yet.

I'll copy and paste my thread from IGN here.

----

Finally managed to have a little chit chat with one of the lead designers (at SCEE Studio's London/Soho) today. Slyly asked about both titles whilst conversing.

Interesting points from the conversation.

- GT5 Prologues London track is using assets taken from The Getaway 3.
- Designer reckons The Getaway 3 looks a little better than the GT5P London track, only on a bigger scale. Essentially Getaway 3 will look similar.
- When quizzed about how this was possible, he merely stated that it's easier to manage when you don't have to worry about 60fps or 1080p.
- Getaway 3 will run at 720p and 30fps.
- This time around The Getaway will focus more on crime/thriller suspense.
- Eight days is coming along very well. First proper public showcasing of gameplay will be this summer.
- Eight Days will not be quite as revolutionary as some have mentioned, but will have numerous innovations.
- Designer reckons Eight Days looks so good, he wouldn't be surprised if it gets 10's from reviewers for visuals.
- Eight Days and Getaway 3 are visually quite different, namely in contrasting art styles.
- When asked which game of the two he thought looked better, he said he thought Getaway 3 looked "a little bit better", but that both looked fantastic.

He also told me what kind of mock scores early play tests of Eight Days had been getting. Ranging from 8.5 - 9's for gameplay and 10's for visuals. But said he wouldn't go in to much detail or blow his trumpet, as we could decide for ourselves later this year. I'll take that as a hint the game is being released later this year. But he didn't budge on the subject.

Take it for what you will. It's from a genuine source. Got his business card and everything.

Why should we trust you?

nib95

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
Why should we trust you?

I don't really care if you don't. I've made numerous threads in the past on the IGN forums. None of my sources have yet to be fake or false. And all my information has always been pretty much spot on. I'm not getting this stuff through type or email. I'm speaking to these guys in person.

I have no reason to lie about any of it. I don't usually even post whatever I learn on the GAF. The people I speak to don't tell me whether I can or can't speak about anything they tell me, which is why to be on the safe side I usually keep it on the low.

nib95 said:
I don't really care if you don't. I've made numerous threads in the past on the IGN forums. None of my sources have yet to be fake or false. And all my information has always been pretty much spot on. I'm not getting this stuff through type or email. I'm speaking to these guys in person.

I have no reason to lie about any of it. I don't usually even post whatever I learn on the GAF. The people I speak to don't tell me whether I can or can't speak about anything they tell me, which is why to be on the safe side I usually keep it on the low.

What are some of the stuff that you have posted on IGN forums have come true?

Opus Angelorum said:
There's a difference, obviously, there's dof and motion blur, nothing more. You said ingame it doesn't look impressive... nuh uh.

But hey, you played the demo, you should know it.

Surfheart

jett said:
Lulz at the PGR comparison. There's no comparison, that's the only truth, even if you disregard the hard cold fact that one of those games runs at double the resolution, double the framerate and has double the amount of cars. Funny how that's always forgotten in this comparisons, but meh like I said it doesn't even matter.

Anyway, to add something to this quickly decaying thread, some more hawt pics:

sweet pics...

bububu teh jaggiezzzZzzzz

Great shots there man. However, does anyone else think they should do away with the shop front mannequins in racing games? It hasn't really mattered in the past, but with GT5 looking pretty much photoreal, the stiff unnatural spectators stand out like dogs balls.

ww13.jpg

Syntek

Opus Angelorum said:
Gran Turismo replays have always looked incredible, in-game not so much.

It's more because of the fancy camera works than anything else. Same reason why racing movies with their dramatic shots looks way better than real life.

Surfheart

GauntletFan said:
How do those shots look like crap?

Do you consider them crap because they are some of the only direct feed shots of actual behind the wheel/car gameplay?

There's nothing wrong with them - they're clean, very low on jaggies and give us (potential customers) a clear look at the actual game.

Are only the most complimentary replay shots or closeups of headlights allowed in this thread? Offscreen caps? - 'ok' as long as solidsnake approves them. Good god, the frothing fanboy nonsense is at an all time high in here.

They are no good because they are not representative of what the game truly looks like when you are playing it on an actual TV. At least that's my experience.

Pistolero

If you insit on acting like a troll, try acting like a mature, dodgy, smart-as*, evasive troll : Keep bragging about damage and tires sound as points that need to be adressed, because criticizing the most technically advanced racing title (by FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR !), for its graphics will only bring your trolling status down from a sneaky and allusive nipticker to a clown forumer.
The info on the Getaway and 8 Days is interesting...Kudos to the poster ! :D

J-Rzez

GauntletFan said:
How do those shots look like crap?

Do you consider them crap because they are some of the only direct feed shots of actual behind the wheel/car gameplay?

There's nothing wrong with them - they're clean, very low on jaggies and give us (potential customers) a clear look at the actual game.

Are only the most complimentary replay shots or closeups of headlights allowed in this thread? Offscreen caps? - 'ok' as long as solidsnake approves them. Good god, the frothing fanboy nonsense is at an all time high in here.

You're out on a mission huh? Those crappy pics you posted a while ago most certainly do not look like what you see on the tv. If you even played GT5:p demo, you would know this. There's something off with Eurogamers pics, who knows what, but rest assured in game they don't look like that.

This game, in game, not only replays, is head and shoulders above anything else to date.

nib95

Banned
AranhaHunter said:
What are some of the stuff that you have posted on IGN forums have come true?

60GB PS3 being discontinued, 40GB PS3 model coming to the EU (I posted about it weeks before anyone had even posted a rumour about it), PSP slim being released, PS3 being just shy of 1 million sold in the UK. (about a month or so after it was announced it had reached a million or so.)

That's stuff off the top of my head. There's more. Don't get me wrong, I'm no journalist. I just speak to other journalists, web site directors and important employees of the relevant companies from time to time. Just through work. That's how I sometimes get games early too. For example, I recently got Army of Two more than a week early. I got a Vegas 2 promo a week early too. If devs/publishers send out promo's instead of debug only games, I can usually get them early.

cool_dude

Banned

nib95, all he's saying is the difference is huge, and it does indeed affect the way the graphics are perceived, even though it is processing via the same graphics engine.

You just keep downplaying his, and other opinions, to give the game more false hype in terms of graphics. Bottom line is, in-game graphics are different, and are poorer in graphical fidelity, than replay graphics. Simple.

nib95

Banned
cakefoo said:
nibs, someone n4g'ed your GT5/PGR4 screens

You should compare cars next...

Sweet man. I'll do another comparison of sorts soon. But I doubt a vehicle comparison is necessary. GT5P's will win that one hands down. I only did the environment one as many people assumed PGR4 had better looking environments. Which isn't really the case. It only appears that was as the comparisons made in the past were circuit tracks from GT5 vs city tracks from PGR4. City tracks always look better. So the new London track has allowed for a better like for like comparison.

cool_dude said:
nib95, all he's saying is the difference is huge, and it does indeed affect the way the graphics are perceived, even though it is processing via the same graphics engine.

You just keep downplaying his, and other opinions, to give the game more false hype in terms of graphics. Bottom line is, in-game graphics are different, and are poorer in graphical fidelity, than replay graphics. Simple.

but the fidelity of the in game graphic is still better than any other games on any consoles to date.

Raistlin

marvelharvey said:
I've a top of the range 47' Sharp Plasma and with the sharpness at the lowest setting, it looks closer to Wax Free Vanilla's shots than Apex's. It's kind of irritating seeing such clean pics, when I get some horrible fizzing on my 'what I thought was good' TV.

Unfortunately, most plasma's are next in line, in terms of pixel-fillrate.

I have an SXRD ... I'll see if its noticeable (I assume most are complaining about those white pixels at seams?), when Prologue releases in the US.

jmd494

Thanks for the info nibs. I see you on IGN from time to time but I didn't know you were in the industry. What do you do?

nib95 said:
60GB PS3 being discontinued, 40GB PS3 model coming to the EU (I posted about it weeks before anyone had even posted a rumour about it), PSP slim being released, PS3 being just shy of 1 million sold in the UK. (about a month or so after it was announced it had reached a million or so.)

That's stuff off the top of my head. There's more. Don't get me wrong, I'm no journalist. I just speak to other journalists, web site directors and important employees of the relevant companies from time to time. Just through work. That's how I sometimes get games early too. For example, I recently got Army of Two more than a week early. I got a Vegas 2 promo a week early too. If devs/publishers send out promo's instead of debug only games, I can usually get them early.

Cool, now who's the chick in your avatar? :D

I really think that they should give you a free G25 setup when you buy Prologue because with the standard six axis there is zero feedback, I imagine that a DS3 would be better but as it stands I find myself longing for a force feedback wheel.

Brianemone said:
I really think that they should give you a free G25 setup when you buy Prologue because with the standard six axis there is zero feedback, I imagine that a DS3 would be better but as it stands I find myself longing for a force feedback wheel.

So you get a $300 wheel when you buy a $40 game?

Tideas

Banned
Brianemone said:

Yeah me too. I really wish they give me the new 2008 GT-R when I buy a full tank of gas.

Disappointment :(

AranhaHunter said:
So you get a $300 wheel when you buy a $40 game?

In short, yes.

I think that a lot of people that are accustomed to GT on the PS2 will miss the immersion of rumble unless they have already purchased a DS3 or feedback wheel

nib95

Banned
An in-game vs replay mode graphics comparison

Just to silence the nay-sayers up. Top screen is in-game, bottom screen is replay mode.

---

gt1-1.jpg

gt1b.jpg

---

gt2-1.jpg

gt2b.jpg

---

gt3-1.jpg

gt3b.jpg

---

Other random replay screens.

---

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b5.jpg

---

b6-1.jpg

b4.jpg

---

Either people are confusing different racing angles with better looking visuals. Or they're confusing replay graphics for PR shots. Like I've said, actual replay graphics are the same as the in-game stuff.

---

Grayman

Brianemone said:
In short, yes.

I think that a lot of people that are accustomed to GT on the PS2 will miss the immersion of rumble unless they have already purchased a DS3 or feedback wheel
eh after using a DFP for so long I am really bad at gamepad driving in the prologe demo. I wouldn't suggest a DS3, i can't even play GT4 that well with my dual shock anymore.

Opus Angelorum said:
Gran Turismo replays have always looked incredible, in-game not so much.
wha? cmon....the replays have added effects like heat waves and motion blur, but its pretty much the same graphics/textures/aliasing....the only difference being that the replay is viewed from usually static camera angles, while in-game is from the viewpoint of a moving vehicle thus why it MAY seem like different graphics....but no less inferior

nib95

Banned
noire said:
I may be skipping prologue (depending on my will power), but this has got me looking forward to GT5 even more.

Nib, does the increased fidelity hold up when both sources are 720p? I bought my TV when 1080p was still pricey.

I'd love to have the best of both worlds and get PG4's road textures with GT5's everything else :) Sounds picky, but I was really impressed with the asphalt textures in Nürburgring in Forza 2, and I think it helps jazz up the non-city tracks.

I might be able to do that comparison. But there's probably little point till the track is released for GT5. Also, yes, 720p holds up perfectly. In-fact, I doubt you'd notice the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you have a very large screen.

FightyF

Banned
f@luS said:
what a SPIN.

Pgr4 uses motion blur because it is 30fps and can not achieve a 60.

The developers did say that it was targetted at 60 fps with blur originally, but then they went crazy with the weather effects.

Anyways I came in here to see if it was released online, only to find out that it was EUROPE getting it tomorrow and not North America. :p

For some reason I was thinking "March 25th North American release"...I don't know why...

Truespeed

nib95 said:
Lol. I've found that 99% of those that whine and bitch haven't actually played the game. Replay graphics are the same as in-game. Only difference being in-game doesn't have the added post processing of the motion blur and focusing/depth of field.

People are confusing the PR shots (which have 16xAA and touch ups) to the replay/in-game visuals.

I've also found that 99% of the people that complain about GT5P are the same ones that complain about the lack of steering input during replays.

nib95 said:
I spoke to one of the lead designers working on the game earlier today. He told me a few other bits and bobs too. haven't made a GAF thread or post about it all yet.

I'll copy and paste my thread from IGN here.

----

Finally managed to have a little chit chat with one of the lead designers (at SCEE Studio's London/Soho) today. Slyly asked about both titles whilst conversing.

Interesting points from the conversation.

- GT5 Prologues London track is using assets taken from The Getaway 3.
- Designer reckons The Getaway 3 looks a little better than the GT5P London track, only on a bigger scale. Essentially Getaway 3 will look similar.
- When quizzed about how this was possible, he merely stated that it's easier to manage when you don't have to worry about 60fps or 1080p.
- Getaway 3 will run at 720p and 30fps.
- This time around The Getaway will focus more on crime/thriller suspense.
- Eight days is coming along very well. First proper public showcasing of gameplay will be this summer.
- Eight Days will not be quite as revolutionary as some have mentioned, but will have numerous innovations.
- Designer reckons Eight Days looks so good, he wouldn't be surprised if it gets 10's from reviewers for visuals.
- Eight Days and Getaway 3 are visually quite different, namely in contrasting art styles.
- When asked which game of the two he thought looked better, he said he thought Getaway 3 looked "a little bit better", but that both looked fantastic.

He also told me what kind of mock scores early play tests of Eight Days had been getting. Ranging from 8.5 - 9's for gameplay and 10's for visuals. But said he wouldn't go in to much detail or blow his trumpet, as we could decide for ourselves later this year. I'll take that as a hint the game is being released later this year. But he didn't budge on the subject.

Take it for what you will. It's from a genuine source. Got his business card and everything.

I though the next Getaway was based in Amsterdam though. Making it in London would be cheaper though, since thye have all the data already

Top Bottom