• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 - Bathurst trailer

New sounds as in absolutely ground up new?
Or just re-working existing sounds?

"I think I mentioned this in the past, but we're really working to change the fundamental way that the engine sound works," Yamauchi said in a press event at Polyphony's offices in Tokyo. "Right now I have a feeling that it might not make it for day one for GT6."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-17-gran-turismo-6s-audio-likely-to-be-patched-post-release

PD does do actual engine recordings, so the problem is there. Something goes wrong between that recording and transferring them into the games. They become heavily filtered, processed, muffled and they end up losing what makes them unique in the process. If they can fix that then everything will be fine.

Oh man, that Volvo art is awesome.

I feel the sound issue hit a tipping point with GT5 and now with GT6 (so it seems) where the fidelity of everything else became so impressive, it made the sound issues that much more of a distraction. Getting into an Enzo (cockpit view) on SSR7 in the rain and you are completely immersed...except the sound. I definitely agree with Amar on the fact that you can have shitty sounds in other ways, such as horrible mixing, way over done "throaty" or "beefy" exhaust (see: Shift series) sounds that go overboard in trying to be super awesome rad pink slip racing mountain dew fueled awesome anus blasting fast and furious bro scene. GT sound mixing is not without its flaws. You can't even hear your own RPM in your race trimmed LM cars with two fucking fiat 500s in front of you, you still get their engine note 1000% louder than your own cars.

The vacuum sfx issues need to be put out to pasture and shot in the back of the head with a 12 gauge. When I fire up GT6 and I instantly go to the drivers license tests, because that is how you play a GT game damn it! I want to be reminded of my GT nostalgia and that first time playing GT1. However, when I blast down a straight away in a Skyline and I hear it's engine note, I do NOT want to be reminded of a PS1 era game.

nib95

Banned
I don't think spacial audio has ever been a point of concern.

I mean what good is all that when my 351ci Windsor motor sounds like an I4?
Or if my BOV sounds like Mr Magoo sneezing?

This is a exaggerated description imo. At least for some of the cars anyway. Did you play the GT6 demo at all? I'd say the only car that sounded extremely electronic or whispy was the Leaf, and that actually is an electronic and wispy sounding car lol.

The Nismo GT3 actually sounds far whispier in real life lol.

Real life Nizmo GT3

GT6 Demo Nizmo GT3

Whilst they could have toned down the whisp and upped the bass (GT seriously needs more bass and aggression) on the GT-R for example, it's actually not too far off the real thing which does indeed have that turbo whine.

Real life GT-R

GT6 demo GT-R

I think it's true that with some cars GT are way off, but it's actually more accurate than some of the competitors in a few as well (turbo whine, shifts on some cars etc), the latter whom tend to exaggerate things massively for added audiovisual effect at the behest of realism. Be interesting to see if GT6 improves things at all. I certainly wasn't put off by the sounds of the cars in the demo, though there's still definite room for improvement.

ethomaz

Banned
When you compare the sound between Forza and GT, it becomes painfully obvious how insular the GT team is. There are a dozen other examples, but that is the most obvious one.
That's a bad example... I don't want to hear the super powerful sound faked in Forza... I prefer far way what we have in GT.

GT need to improve in sound department but please they don't need to kill the sound to make more commercial... I prefer always a more realistic sound in a sim racing.

BTW there are cars in GT with have close real-life sound... just make that for all cars ;-).

saladine1

Slightly modified sounds from what we got in GT5. If you expect anything else you'll be disappointing.

Well, there you go.
Not holding my breath but we shall see if sound was indeed a priority or not.

Believe me, I'm fucking dying here man. I want to be able to enjoy the game and have the best experience possible. Sound is an integral part of a racing game for me, more-so than finely modeled leather stitching on a steering wheel or the greatest lighting on earth.
I want to feel like I'm driving a highly modified racing beast and not some gimped granny spec, run of the mill grocery getter.

I'm not saying every car or effect is terrible. There are few instances where it goes right.
But man, I cry when I see other games at least try and offer some sort of great auditory experiences whilst The Pioneer stagnates..

Probably the greatest attempt at a V8 Supercar sound

Into my veins

dankir

a7dudq.gif

Does GT6 have a dynamic in car camera? Or it's still fixed?

ethomaz

Banned
Side note most guys that seems to hate the GT sound uses the TV speakers playing the game... the sound gets better in good surround system ;)

Some cars you can't even say the difference compared with same model in real-life.

Others cars are really bad.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, that Volvo art is awesome.

I feel the sound issue hit a tipping point with GT5 and now with GT6 (so it seems) where the fidelity of everything else became so impressive, it made the sound issues that much more of a distraction. Getting into an Enzo (cockpit view) on SSR7 in the rain and you are completely immersed...except the sound. I definitely agree with Amar on the fact that you can have shitty sounds in other ways, such as horrible mixing, way over done "throaty" or "beefy" exhaust (see: Shift series) sounds that go overboard in trying to be super awesome rad pink slip racing mountain dew fueled awesome anus blasting fast and furious bro scene. GT sound mixing is not without its flaws. You can't even here your own RPM in your race trimmed LM cars with two fucking fiat 500s in front of you, you still get their engine note 1000% louder than your own cars.

The vacuum sfx issues need to be put out to pasture and shot in the back of the head with a 12 gauge. When I fire up GT6 and I instantly go to the drivers license tests, because that is how you play a GT game damn it! I want to be reminded of my GT nostalgia and that first time playing GT1. However, when I blast down a straight away in a Skyline and I hear it's engine note, I do NOT want to be reminded of a PS1 era game.

Solution: Extend PD's offices to EU and hire more peeps. I think KY needs to have a team of at least 250-300 for his nasty ideas to become achievable.

Will the standard cars be back in GT6

yep

ethomaz

Banned
Will the standard cars be back in GT6
Yes and no.

Yes, the standard cars are part of GT6... No, no more differences between Premium and Standard (no separate categories and everything you do with a Premium you can do with a Standard).

Naminator

Banned
This is a bullshot video, right? I see a lot of motion blur and super clean anti aliasing going on here.

I'm just curious.

But has there EVER been a Gran Turismo trailer that was not "bullshot"?

All the trailers I've seen so far of GT6 are downright impossible to be running on the PS3, especially after seeing some actual in-game GT5 screenshots.

Dead Man

This is also a great point. People love the exaggerated sounds out of some of the competitors, but don't give credit to the GT franchise for offering considerably better surround spatial audio. Compare how you can pin point locations, sounds and distance of other cars racing around you in GT to it's main rival, and it's a massive difference. Hell with the former you can even make out which specific car is near you or when they're shifting.

I'd take sounds that sound like the cars I have sat in even if the spatial differences are not as pronounced. Unrealistic sounds with spatial differences are still unrealistic sounds. I have an old Mustang, and the one in the game sounds pathetic.
Well, there you go.
Not holding my breath but we shall see if sound was indeed a priority or not.

Believe me, I'm fucking dying here man. I want to be able to enjoy the game and have the best experience possible. Sound is an integral part of a racing game for me, more-so than finely modeled leather stitching on a steering wheel or the greatest lighting on earth.
I want to feel like I'm driving a highly modified racing beast and not some gimped granny spec, run of the mill grocery getter.

I'm not saying every car or effect is terrible. There are few instances where it goes right.
But man, I cry when I see other games at least try and offer some sort of great auditory experiences whilst The Pioneer stagnates..

Probably the greatest attempt at a V8 Supercar sound

Into my veins

And that PD, is how it should be done.

nib95

Banned
I'd take sounds that sound like the cars I have sat in even if the spatial differences are not as pronounced. Unrealistic sounds with spatial differences are still unrealistic sounds. I have an old Mustang, and the one in the game sounds pathetic.

It's probably one of the cars they haven't actually recorded in real life. I'd imagine many are simply made up. Hopefully they can improve on that.

Dead Man

It's probably one of the cars they haven't actually recorded in real life. I'd imagine many are simply made up. Hopefully they can improve on that.

I actually rate it as one of the better sounds in the game, it is just nothing like the real thing at all.

In other GT threads I have said I would prefer a bit of exaggeration to make up for the lack of vibration and randomness of a real cars noises, I still would prefer that over a clinical pure recording. It doesn't convey the experience of being in a fast car at all.

It's not only Forza though. Almost every other game, arcade or sim, has great sounding vehicles and effects. NFS, Driver, The Crew, RR, pCars, Grid, Dirt..etc all have acceptable and beyond sound effects.
Only PD is left living in the 20th century. I can't believe that this department wasn't their priority for GT6.

Unacceptable and ridiculously mind boggling!

I doubt PD has to care about what any other racers do. Sure, they probably look at them, but GT is a huge, huge franchise that will sell millions regardless. A lot of the problems are over exaggerated too. It's in it's own league when it comes to racing game, Forza isn't even remotely close sales wise, and while some people may prefer, it's not yet dethroned GT given the numbers.

nib95

Banned
I actually rate it as one of the better sounds in the game, it is just nothing like the real thing at all.

In other GT threads I have said I would prefer a bit of exaggeration to make up for the lack of vibration and randomness of a real cars noises, I still would prefer that over a clinical pure recording. It doesn't convey the experience of being in a fast car at all.

I agree with you. That's really the main thing. All it needs is a bit more bass and aggression, a touch of reverb etc. Not a huge overhaul, just more grunt. And better surround sound speaker alignment as well.

Currently I just set my bass up on my surround sound system for GT and it does the job pretty well, but I shouldn't have to add in extra bass really. I will say though, the Nizmo GT3 in the GT6 demo sounds amazing. I was seriously impressed.

velociraptor

This is a exaggerated description imo. At least for some of the cars anyway. Did you play the GT6 demo at all? I'd say the only car that sounded extremely electronic or whispy was the Leaf, and that actually is an electronic and wispy sounding car lol.

The Nismo GT3 actually sounds far whispier in real life lol.

Real life Nizmo GT3

GT6 Demo Nizmo GT3

Whilst they could have toned down the whisp and upped the bass (GT seriously needs more bass and aggression) on the GT-R for example, it's actually not too far off the real thing which does indeed have that turbo whine.

Real life GT-R

GT6 demo GT-R

I think it's true that with some cars GT are way off, but it's actually more accurate than some of the competitors in a few as well (turbo whine, shifts on some cars etc), the latter whom tend to exaggerate things massively for added audiovisual effect at the behest of realism. Be interesting to see if GT6 improves things at all. I certainly wasn't put off by the sounds of the cars in the demo, though there's still definite room for improvement.
I'm impressed. The GT-R sounds lifelike.

How do they still have no transmission sound effects? Such a glaring omission. The GT6 videos so far only make things worse. People analyze the sound and look for any marginal improvement. But lets say on a sfx quality scale of 0-10 we would like to see GT at an 8, they have been "improving" from an 5 to 5.1 to a 5.3. Yes there are improvements, but it is minute and only improving on what I consider a horrifically flawed system of sound implementation.

Dead Man

I agree with you. That's really the main thing. All it needs is a bit more bass and aggression, a touch of reverb etc. Not a huge overhaul, just more grunt. And better surround sound speaker alignment as well.

Currently I just set my bass up on my surround sound system for GT and it does the job pretty well, but I shouldn't have to add in extra bass really. I will say though, the Nizmo GT3 in the GT6 demo sounds amazing. I was seriously impressed.

Yeah, pretty much. With the newer car models they have done a decent job with a few of them, but the supercars, race cars, and classic cars are pretty busted.

nib95

Banned
How do they still have no transmission sound effects? Such a glaring omission. The GT6 videos so far only make things worse. People analyze the sound and look for any marginal improvement. But lets say on a sfx quality scale of 0-10 we would like to see GT at an 8, they have been "improving" from an 5 to 5.1 to a 5.3. Yes there are improvements, but it is minute and only improving on what I consider a horrifically flawed system of sound implementation.

Can you explain what you mean by no transmission sound effects? I'm pretty sure they're they're unless you're referring to something else. Can you give an example?

Liamario

Banned
Take a guess.
This isn't a bit polished with a bit steadier framerate, this is a completely different game that they are showing.

I have to agree. The trailer is a lie. The demo they released, although unfinished, looked even worse than GT5. I can imagine some improvements, but there is no way in hell it's going to get anywhere close to what they imply with the trailers. No doubt the PS4 version would be hit close, but PS3 version will look nothing like what the trailers are suggesting.

nib95

Banned
I have to agree. The trailer is a lie. The demo they released, although unfinished, looked even worse than GT5. I can imagine some improvements, but there is no way in hell it's going to get anywhere close to what they imply with the trailers. No doubt the PS4 version would be hit close, but PS3 version will look nothing like what the trailers are suggesting.

What on Earth are you on about? No it didn't. Shadows, lighting, grass, tree's, aliasing, shaders etc have all been improved in GT6, and that's based on an unfinished demo. Not exactly a massive difference, but it's an improvement none-the-less, and on ageing hardware to boot.

GT5_720p_011.png

GT6_720p_011.png

GT5_720p_000.png

GT6_720p_000.png

GT5_720p_009.png

GT6_720p_009.png

GT5_720p_016.png

GT6_720p_016.png

benzy

Someone post that YouTube Ferrari f1 2010 on 24h nurburgring for all the haters. All of these new tracks seems to be created on par with that level of quality and lighting, so we've got nothing to worry about in the final game.

otapnam

The trailers are more like beefed up replays anyways. Do u think you're supposed to drive a car like the trailers are shot? Come on now

Horp

Maybe a slight improvement but far, far, FAR from the trailer. Guess nothing in the trailer explicitly states the game will look exactly like that, but it's still pretty damn shady. What is this wonderful game we are seeing in the trailer? GT6 on a PC?

And not everything is improved from GT5 either. Some things are seemingly lower quality, for example the motion blur and the anisotrophic filtering definitely seems lower quality.

Vorg

Banned
And not everything is improved from GT5 either. Some things are seemingly lower quality, for example the motion blur and the anisotrophic filtering definitely seems lower quality.

If that means 60 fps without screen tearing, I guess it's worth it.

nib95

Banned
Maybe a slight improvement but far, far, FAR from the trailer. Guess nothing in the trailer explicitly states the game will look exactly like that, but it's still pretty damn shady. What is this wonderful game we are seeing in the trailer? GT6 on a PC?

What about the trailer is so impressive to you? It's pretty much exactly the same thing but down sampled and with added filters (for cinematic and filmic effect). Probably about what you can expect in replay mode, minus the movie effects (vignetting, black and white etc).

Horp

What about the trailer is so impressive to you? It's pretty much exactly the same thing but down sampled and with added filters (for cinematic and filmic effect). Probably about what you can expect in replay mode, minus the movie effects (vignetting, black and white etc).

??? You better go rewatch that trailer.

To name a few things:
3D, wonderfully detailed, trees and environment in general
Extreme tesselation on all cars
Perfect AA
Super high shadow resolution
Huge drawdistance, and detailed backgrounds far away
Way prettier lighting than the demo
Better motion blur
Beautiful post-processing, such as high contrast filters and color grading
Solid, steady framerate even from longshots with miles of drawdistance and all cars in full details.

I'm not even sure you are serious when you post things like that nib. Please get off the Sony-horse and let's have a real discussion for once.

Name exactly waht it is. They're using the same models that you're see in the game, the same lighting engine and the same courses. None of that is changed or swapped with the trailer. They're just running it at a higher resolution and with better AA, and that's basically normal practice in the industry nowadays with trailers.

nib95

Banned

I've watched it 3 times. It's taken straight from in-game engine, as I said before, just down-sampled (no aliasing, better filtering) and with filmic post process effects. I can see lower res assets all over the place (textures, tree's, polygons etc).

nib95

Banned
Image quality, motion blur and depth of field looks superior. Assets are otherwise the same.

Agree. But they add some of those motion blur and depth of field affects in replay mode in the game too. Clearly the PD design team has been having a blast with After Effects, because there's a lot of filmic editing going on in there lol.

Emwitus

I'm just curious.

But has there EVER been a Gran Turismo trailer that was not "bullshot"?

All the trailers I've seen so far of GT6 are downright impossible to be running on the PS3, especially after seeing some actual in-game GT5 screenshots.

I know this has been posted a million times but what differentiates GT from most games is their lighting. It's the same for trailers and actual gameplay. Everything else is super sampled like the ingame replays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=kQO6JHZl-Cs#t=33
They could easily pass this as a ps4 game for the lighting alone.

Top Bottom