• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

dubc35

I don’t have a ps4, or any intention to buy one, so I’m out on GT7. If I had one I’m sure I would buy the game, I’m a sucker for GT, but I think the series is what it is now. By that, I mean it’s the premier simcade on playstation and unless Sony decides to challenge it, it will continue its long, iterative development cycle. I think I have all the GT’s released in NA (1-6, 5:p, PSP) so it will be the first I won’t buy. I’m fine with that though. Eventually a PC racing rig is what I will use. The user created mod community creates a lot of content, tracks being the most important.

benzy

LOL at the Subaru being influenced by the shape of a block of dried fish. No wonder it's the ugliest Vision GT car yet.

1972_2.jpg

8u2b.jpg

The Audi R8 GT3 cockpit sound got upgraded.

before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPMkdIL4UA&t=2m10s

after 1.14 patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u81Tsqs3FxQ

amar212

All cars have updated sounds I presume, I tried random cars and they all sound better. Also, new mic position option is great step forward. And cockpit surround spatiality have been finally upgraded to amazing GT5 standard.

I hope new Community design will be implemented over all UI elements.

LOL at the Subaru being influenced by the shape of a block of dried fish. No wonder it's the ugliest Vision GT car yet.

1972_2.jpg

8u2b.jpg

The Audi R8 GT3 cockpit sound got upgraded.

before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPMkdIL4UA&t=2m10s

after 1.14 patch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u81Tsqs3FxQ

Here's the Viziv's sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1quFNRUH04#t=108

Since it's not a real car it's hard to compare it to anything. But it's definitely very different than your typical GT engine sounds. Much louder and "throttier".

Holy shit, here's the Chapparal VGT

la-fi-hy-la-auto-show7siu1.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-hy-la-auto-show-chevy-concept-pictures-photogallery.html

offshore

Community features!

Only 11 months late! :p

Really needed this at launch... my GT buddies long since abandoned 6 :-(

Oh well. Always GT7 :)

muteki

Yeah it looks like the head of Voltron or with wheels.
The chaparral on the other hand looks great.

I agree, it is interesting how a lot of these VGT's end up with similar characteristics when different companies set out to create "the ultimate sportscar". The Subaru is okay, but soon it won't look like a Subaru anymore when they change the look every year it seems.

Adding these additional VGT's is great but I think it would take an event or championship for them to get me back to the game.

paskowitz

I know PD has only a few employees, are perfectionists and the PS3 is dead... but I really feel like this, right now, is the game that should have been released

Watevaman

I really like the BMW safety car. I didn't drive the normal M4 that much but I like the way this handles, it really likes to step the rear end out.

I don't really notice too much with the new Suzuka in terms of changes besides the lack of the guardrail around Spoon, but I do like the time of day changes.

benzy

All cars have updated sounds I presume, I tried random cars and they all sound better. Also, new mic position option is great step forward. And cockpit surround spatiality have been finally upgraded to amazing GT5 standard.

I hope new Community design will be implemented over all UI elements.

Yeah, a good number of them have updated sounds. Adding in a sports or racing exhausts sounds awesome for many of the cars too. Wax do you know if the amount of audio samples changed?

I really like the BMW safety car. I didn't drive the normal M4 that much but I like the way this handles, it really likes to step the rear end out.

I don't really notice too much with the new Suzuka in terms of changes besides the lack of the guardrail around Spoon, but I do like the time of day changes.

Nice shots. I need to test this car out.

The Chevrolet Chaparral 2X VGT channels that spirit of innovation into a vision of what the future of racing could hold, with a radical form and an advanced, laser- based propulsion system.

"It was created in a no-rules atmosphere to challenge designers and test engineers to deliver the most exhilarating sensations. This is a fantasy car by design," said Frank Saucedo, who oversaw the team that worked on the concept. "Like the original Chaparral race cars decades ago, the Chaparral 2X VGT weaves advanced aerospace technologies into the design to help achieve its performance goals."

The Chaparral 2X VGT's concept propulsion system is inspired by technology derived from advanced work targeted at space travel and future aircraft design. It features a mid-mounted laser, beamed-energy propulsion system, which pulses beams of light that focus in a shroud, creating shock waves that generate tremendous thrust in the lightweight race car.

With a 671-kW laser, powered by a pack of lithium-ion batteries, and an air- powered generator to provide 900 bhp of thrust, the Chaparral 2X VGT will be capable of a 240-mph top speed in the video game, with 0-60 acceleration capability of 1.5 seconds.

The propulsion system's position in the composite chassis complements an unconventional yet highly active prone driver configuration – face down with the driver's arms and legs splayed toward the wheels. In fact, the race car's propulsion and suspension systems are built around the driver, enabling progressive strategies of active and driver-adjustable aerodynamics.

"Think of it as adapting a wing suit to a racing car, where the driver's movements control certain aspects of the aero package," said Saucedo. "In many ways, the Chaparral 2X VGT is like racing wing suit, with a protective fuselage for 'flying' very low to the ground."

The driver-enabled aerodynamics eliminate the need for large, conventional wings and other aero devices used to generate grip-enhancing downforce – an attribute that helps minimize the overall mass of the Chaparral 2X VGT's minimalist structure. Only essential elements are on board, with instrumentation, for example, projected on the driver's helmet visor.

Additionally, lightweight chassis components reduce the sprung weight of the race car, enabling the car to provide tremendous cornering grip with a relatively small footprint. It rolls on 17-inch front and rear wheels, all wrapped with racing tires.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/19/chevy-chaparral-2x-vision-gran-turismo-concept-la-2014/

benzy

The Chaparral 2X VGT's concept propulsion system is inspired by technology derived from advanced work targeted at space travel and future aircraft design. It features a mid-mounted laser, beamed-energy propulsion system, which pulses beams of light that focus in a shroud, creating shock waves that generate tremendous thrust in the lightweight race car.

whoa-gifs.gif

With a 671-kW laser, powered by a pack of lithium-ion batteries, and an air- powered generator to provide 900 bhp of thrust, the Chaparral 2X VGT will be capable of a 240-mph top speed in the video game, with 0-60 acceleration capability of 1.5 seconds.

1413096830292kmkk2.gif

Oh muh gawd, I need it.

I need diagrams!

There's a description of a system like that here http://www.centauri-dreams.org/?p=9413
but that's for ground based lasers beamed towards an aircraft. Sounds a bit weird for a car to be using unless it's powered directly via thrust ( which it might be?) But the super-heated air it leaves behind might be an issue for cars it's racing against.

Hmm mid-mounted laser, is it that red thing on the roll hoop? Maybe each wheel has its own plasma shockwave engine inside then. Somehow I don't think this will be a thing even in 2050.

Mush

Someone should make a thread over in Gaming because that is far too cool to be kept in here.

It'd be cool if they were to enter it as part of Le Mans' Garage 56 programme.

benzy

Someone should make a thread over in Gaming because that is far too cool to be kept in here.

It'd be cool if they were to enter it as part of Le Mans' Garage 56 programme.

Alright, just posted it. Yeah, this car's design is really exciting, but it doesn't look safe at all though, lol.

mzpdtt.gif

EDIT:

Is this Willow Springs?... GT7...

cq5dam.web.1280.1280bbd0y.jpeg

Watevaman

I think they're composite renders, aka real life backgrounds with the CG model on them.

or, they might be the real "mockup" model of the car if they've finished it

Niks

Got around playing with the new update...

Community section looks great, waiting for Norante to add me to test it out..
but the best thing imo was the "Onboard Mic Position". Seems Kaz is opening to fan feedback regarding sound realism. Did some laps trying each setting out, and exterior seems to give the most engine grunt (and less wind noise).

Also the Suzuka update gives me hope for GT7 tracks, they added quite a bit of geometry. (grass, bushes). Time change truly gives an old track new life.

Great update overall.

amar212

B-Spec and Course Maker being left to be delivered

Also, if they had one more year and delivered GT6 in this current state (1.14), game would get much more critical acclaims from users (GT6 reviews were pretty good)

What makes me happy is seeing everything coming together as an amazing foundation for future developments of the series

Also, the new Community features bring one side-option that is simply great - ability to get "studio photos" of the cars:

http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/a-new-amazing-way-of-photographing-your-car-1-14.319995

EDFq4vb.jpg

dubc35

I only had a little time to play around with it last night (damn this thread making me come back to the game, lol). Suzuka 2014 looks great and the GTR Sierra rally was fun. I had 50+ overtakes and ran out of time literally feet from the end, d'oh!

Anyone notice a difference in braking with ABS off? I only had time to shakedown an old Impreza on Suzuka but the braking felt different. It would lock up easier. Adjusting the brake balance helped but it still seemed different. Only a one car sample so maybe it was just me, the car, updated track mu, or some combination.

What's the number for the club?
Would like to know too when it's setup.
I know PD has only a few employees, are perfectionists and the PS3 is dead... but I really feel like this, right now, is the game that should have been released
Agreed. I didn't realize how much I used the community feature in GT5. Basically if I was going to shakedown a car I would do it in the GT5NRL lobby.

Seanspeed

Banned
I swear they must have the worst sound engine of all-time. I listened to the 'after' vid first and its just shit. Absolute shit. I cant believe that is what is supposed to be an *improvement*.

Now there's a prototype I actually really like. Looks great.

Mobius 1

That's the club number. It's set to private so I guess norante has to add you all.

I kept it private because the moment I made it some strangers started to join. Just drop me a PM here or at PSN or wherever and I will add everybody. :)

Jedi2016

I need to keep up with this more often, I missed the Toyota VGT. That Chapparal, though.. that's the kind of thing I expected from VGT, just car designers going nuts. Most of what we've gotten so far (with a couple exceptions) are just prototypes for a few years down the line.. normal cars with some slick lines. I want to see more like the Chapparal.

Djie

Neo Member
Wauw, I'm really impressed with this update of GT6. Although i wished this version was available straight from the release...

The Motec export feature looks promossing at first sight, data seems pretty good for analysis. Will be looking into it more.
image_2014-11-21.jpg

Top Bottom