• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

dubc35

You don't need a "backward compatible PS3" to play GT2.

Every PS3 console can play PSone games.

What you need is a GT2 game disc ;)

Oh yeah, forgot about ps1 games working. Anyway, I have a GT2 disc, perhaps I'll try it out when GT6 updates. It'll probably be a paint chip or something. :/

nan0

You don't need a "backward compatible PS3" to play GT2.

Every PS3 console can play PSone games.

What you need is a GT2 game disc ;)

What? :O :O I own a PS3 for over a year and didn't knew this. Welp, time to get some cheap PS1 games from Amazon.

Watevaman

If there's actually something that you get from playing GT2, it will probably be based on the presence of a save file. All you're probably gonna have to do is download and transfer one from the internet.

If there's actually something that you get from playing GT2, it will probably be based on the presence of a save file. All you're probably gonna have to do is download and transfer one from the internet.

That comment probably didn't mean anything anyway. The Pit Stop blog always has weird English.

MGR

B-spec comes from the mind of a madman.

Pitstop blog translation by Imari at GTPlanet:

In the forthcoming update “Ver. 1.16” the new feature B-Spec will be introduced. Previous versions of B-Spec might make one say “Why did you back off there?” or “Get in the slipstream!”, there were a number of behaviours in the AI driver that were highly irritating to the player. In Gran Turismo 6 B-Spec, the number of instructions and pace selection options have increased, and it's possible to alter how the AI driver behaves. Overtaking, slipstreaming, changing lanes, as well as acceleration and braking can all be controlled in real time.

Unlike the Gran Turismo 5 version of B-Spec the style is not that of employing a driver, instead you will feel that you are supporting the AI driver's race.

No. No, no, no, no.

It's like I'm supposed to be crew chief for this professional race team, yet the driver we have employed is so daft they cannot decide for themselves when they should accelerate and brake.
I'm not supporting my driver. I'm desperately trying to prevent them from killing themselves and everybody around them by yelling the most basic of instructions down the radio. The whole thing feels like a bad dream.

How about gathering any stars that you might have missed? The prizes, lap counts, and tyre regulations are all identical to A-Spec.

Congrats. Completion of the single player game is so boring that yelling at your B-spec moron is potentially a more compelling way play for some.
This is not the way to 'fix' the single player campaign.

It's also ideal for the extremely difficult Red Bull X Challenges. And it will allow beginners to attempt some of the other difficult events in the game.

The game is not hard. The problem is the game cannot scale for different levels of player skill. B-spec is not an acceptable solution to the fixed game difficulty level.

Of course, if you are too aggressive with the accelerator, the AI driver will spin or run off the course. A certain delicacy is required, not unlike driving a radio controlled car from a bird's eye perspective.

Unlike A-Spec, one can play as if one were a spotter in a NASCAR race, and so it's easy to comprehend the situation going on around the car. And to get that final edge to win in a close battle, it's good to try playing from an internal perspective.

So it's like being a Nascar spotter, but also like driving a remote control car, but also like having no control at all. Such a poorly conceived concept and a massive waste of energy and resources. :/

Midfield is a welcome addition though. :)

amar212

B-spec comes from the mind of a madman.

My thoughts exactly.

Instead on further developing the "learning and behavioral" aspect of B-Spec, they are making it a Dance-Dance-Revolution game.

I have to see it in works before final judgment, but this is not the B-Spec I subjectively praised since 2004 and wanted in GT6.

The GT5's B-Spec was pure perfection (in constraints of the hardware) and it was GODSEND to be made in the multiplayer mode, where our trained B-Spec Bobs would be managed in the real-time by their 2-16 "managers", with cursing, cheering and laughing during the race.

This "new" B-Spec mode sounds like a dull experiment for the mobile-phone game.

ruttyboy

there were a number of behaviours in the AI driver that were highly irritating to the player.
Never a truer word spoken.

How about gathering any stars that you might have missed? The prizes, lap counts, and tyre regulations are all identical to A-Spec.
I wonder if it will work on the drift events?

Of course, if you are too aggressive with the accelerator, the AI driver will spin or run off the course. A certain delicacy is required, not unlike driving a radio controlled car from a bird's eye perspective.
Wait, just how granular is this control of the accelerator? Is this just a way to drive from the TV camera perspective?

Unlike A-Spec, one can play as if one were a spotter in a NASCAR race, and so it's easy to comprehend the situation going on around the car. And to get that final edge to win in a close battle, it's good to try playing from an internal perspective.
Again, if you're playing from an internal perspective, why not just drive normally?

A most odd development all round.

MINI VGT teaser

i1hev1eqavqotgx2ulq.jpg

i1nl3dxt2xrzdgrfuec.jpg

http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_5745123.html

dubc35

B-spec sounds terrible to me, then again I have never really liked it. It was great for farming money in GT4 and the enduros but that is all I used it for. Sell that Merc CLK-GTR!

IMO, if they implement a B-spec it should be like Motorsport Manager (mobile game). Maybe not the entire game but at least the racing part.

I know it´s different for some, but i just wish they would understand that i don´t want a game, i want a racing sim.

I could never understand B Spec and it´s the type of feature no other game would consider because it´s absolutely nuts.

I do like the tracks, hopefully there are more old tracks coming into the series as well.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
I bet Kaz isn't even aware yet that pCARS is a thing.
It's amazing how Kaz/PD has managed to remain set in their ways for so long. For better or for (mostly) worse, the advancements made in racing games have had little to no effect on their output. It's mesmerizing really.

dubc35

Maintenance tomorrow, because update? Wonder when it will unlock.
At the following time we will perform maintenance on the servers for Gran Turismo 6:

Start: 02/26/2015 03:00 EST
Finish: 02/26/2015 05:00 EST

During the maintenance, it will not be possible to connect to any of the online services.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

*Please note that the maintenance time may be subject to change.

edit, How did I completely miss the Kaz movie came out a year ago? Anyone watch it? Worth watching?

Dead Man

I know it´s different for some, but i just wish they would understand that i don´t want a game, i want a racing sim.

I could never understand B Spec and it´s the type of feature no other game would consider because it´s absolutely nuts.

I do like the tracks, hopefully there are more old tracks coming into the series as well.

B Spec that was more of a race manager sim would be awesome though, and it would be a cool way to do a race weekend. Of course, that would require PD to acknowledge that a race weekend is vastly different from what they present in the game.

So, for anyone that has a lot of money, you can buy this

The Castrol-livery Toyota Supra may be the most memorable car for fans of the early Gran Turismo PlayStation games. Tons of us spent hours saving our video game winnings to build this exact dream machine, but eventually we all had to grow up (sorta), and abandon our daydreams of ever owning such a car in real life.

This Supra wears the full Castrol livery, sponsor decals, and bodacious rear wing that first captured adolescent minds in the original Gran Turismo game. Powered by a warmed-over twin-turbo motor with go-fast goodies from HKS and Blitz, Toyota says the promotional car is good for 370 horses. It wears a full Veilside body kit and sits 30mm lower on 19-inch wheels, though, sadly, all that nostalgia power goes through a four-speed auto.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...is-auctioning-a-real-life-gran-turismo-supra/

landscape_nrm_1424889jejh2.jpg

1.16 is out, 536MB.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/gb/news/00_3293873.html

An update for Gran Turismo 6 has been released. The following is a list of the main features introduced:

Vision Gran Turismo
The "MINI Clubman Vision Gran Turismo" has been released.

After the update has been installed, the car can be purchased from the [Vision GT] option within the [CARS] section in "My Home". Alternatively, it is also possible to obtain the car by completing a lap (regardless of the lap time) in the new Seasonal Event, available only for a limited time.

Mid-Field Raceway
The popular original track of Gran Turismo makes a comeback with further refinements! This high speed circuit is built on a mountain landscape full of inclines and descents. It is further made dynamic by the famous grade separated crossing where the direction of the lap circle changes, and its long flat out sections and mid to high speed corners.

B-Spec Mode
"B-Spec" mode, where an AI driver races for the player, has been implemented in all Career Mode race events. You can use B-Spec for races you might find difficult to complete such as some of the longer endurance races, or when you just want to enjoy watching the race. You can select [B-Spec] from the Quick Menu displayed before the start of an event race in [Career Mode].

"Paint" options expanded
The [Paint] options have been expanded and it is now possible to paint the custom rear wings. In addition, the option [Select from an already painted colour.] has been added to the Paint menu to make it easier to paint the body and the wings with the same colour.

Additional cars available to paint
It is now possible to paint the body of the "Mazda LM55 Vision Gran Turismo" and the "Chevrolet 2X Vision Gran Turismo".

Other improvements and adjustments
- The steering wheel controller force feedback has been weakened for the Red Bull X Series Fan Car.
- It is now possible to view the content of the Seasonal Events from the Community features available on gran-turismo.com

For more details on each of the above features, please refer to the online manual on gran-turismo.com.

Someone try B-Spec and tell me if it's half-decent, or if the driver actually is brain-dead?

You have to use the real time controls to get anywhere. I did a Red Bull X2014 Standard car race, set AI me to 'Push it Hard!' and left him. He only managed 7th place without any intervention from me. Using the real time controls I managed 2nd or 3rd I think. With some practice I could probably do better. B-Spec actually ends up being harder than A-Spec in my opinion, because the AI isn't up to scratch.

Mascot

It's great having Mid-Field back but is anyone else getting substantial screen tearing at 1080p, even using bumper cam in time trial? I've knocked the display resolution back to 720p and it's disappeared, but that leaves me with the fugly-as-fuck dot matrix ditherfest that 720p means in GT6.

The Mini sounds great, by the way. It's got a really raw and raspy exhaust note.

Also, is there any way to get the other recent GT Vision cars for free? I've been away from this game for a while so the seasonals that 'win' you the cars have disappeared.

Watevaman

It is an (ugly) bodykit on the normal car, not a racing model, and not even close to an GT car.

Oh, I know it's just a bodykit with some vinyls, but it just doesn't have the spirit of the real one when it still has both its headlights.

To be honest, I've seen a lot worse done to Supras, so at least this one is tasteful in trying to recreate the JGTC car.

ruttyboy

It's great having Mid-Field back but is anyone else getting substantial screen tearing at 1080p, even using bumper cam in time trial? I've knocked the display resolution back to 720p and it's disappeared, but that leaves me with the fugly-as-fuck dot matrix ditherfest that 720p means in GT6.

The Mini sounds great, by the way. It's got a really raw and raspy exhaust note.

Also, is there any way to get the other recent GT Vision cars for free? I've been away from this game for a while so the seasonals that 'win' you the cars have disappeared.

I played for the first time in months last night and the first thing I thought was, "oh God, was the tearing always like that?" so that might be me not remembering correctly or it might have got worse.

There's some God-awful colour choices for that Mini!

ruttyboy

Wait, I haven't played GT6 in almost a year, when I come back does that mean I have no chance of driving any of those VGTs? Please tell me I'm reading this wrong.

You can still buy them for (I think) 1,000,000 credits each, it's just that as each one was introduced there was an event where you could win one for free.

amar212

You can still buy them for (I think) 1,000,000 credits each, it's just that as each one was introduced there was an event where you could win one for free.

Although I have driven almost all of them in time, I think it is a huge mistake from PD to remove those events for newcomer players.

With hefty pricetag - 1.000.000 credits each - and without possibility to exploit the famous "VGT Mercedes Credit bug" from the release window, the new players will have 0,01% incentive to actually buy and own those cars.

VGT are too expensive to get players really interested in them, compared to other "normal" cars - and there is the crucial paradox. Because they're meant to be PR driven exercise to actually make those cars interesting and special to players.

And with removal of way to obtain them without spending a damn hard to make 1.000.000 Credits - for newcomer players - they are basically removing them from any proper "interest list".

Maybe there is something I am missing here, but I was VW or Mini marketing person and cooperated with PD about this, I would love to get as many as possible players to get my car - even before all other "normal" cars.

Making them one-million purchases after the particular VGT Seasonal is over - and with new owners buying GT6 (European GSK charts shows GT6 still trends regularly in charts in various EU countries) - it is as wrong as it can get. IMO, of course.

Although I have driven almost all of them in time, I think it is a huge mistake from PD to remove those events for newcomer players.

With hefty pricetag - 1.000.000 credits each - and without possibility to exploit the famous "VGT Mercedes Credit bug" from the release window, the new players will have 0,01% incentive to actually buy and own those cars.

VGT are too expensive to get players really interested in them, compared to other "normal" cars - and there is the crucial paradox. Because they're meant to be PR driven exercise to actually make those cars interesting and special to players.

And with removal of way to obtain them without spending a damn hard to make 1.000.000 Credits - for newcomer players - they are basically removing them from any proper "interest list".

Maybe there is something I am missing here, but I was VW or Mini marketing person and cooperated with PD about this, I would love to get as many as possible players to get my car - even before all other "normal" cars.

Making them one-million purchases after the particular VGT Seasonal is over - and with new owners buying GT6 (European GSK charts shows GT6 still trends regularly in charts in various EU countries) - it is as wrong as it can get. IMO, of course.

As someone who hasnt played in close to a year, this is absolutely true.

I cannot fathom investing hours upon hours to earn the millions that will be required to purchase all the VGTs that I missed. Had they been free, I'd try them out gladly, but this? Nope.

Dead in the water to me.

Logic says that with each update you would get the VGT cars as a gift in your garage, because many people stopped playing the game and VGT is mostly PR.

But this is logic, so of course the end result would be vastly different from anything a sane person can think of.

Midfield performance is terrible, it's got to be 30-40 fps here, stuttering on every corner :(

They should just bin the PS3 and give me the best version of GT6 now that I've got my PS4 :D

Dumping the memory to see if there's anything else in this 1.16 update.

B-Spec took the direction the majority of people that disliked B-Spec "asked" (not directly, but it is understandable): more control over the driver. You can look at gtplanet and here, how constant the complaints were about how the Bob AI was dumb, that directions you gave him barely influenced and so on. But PD instead of developing it from a different angle like improving team building/training, they went and made the player more "in control".
Same with endurances, it's so dumb and funny seeing (the same) people go "where are my true endurances!" when they complained those 4/6/24hrs endurances were pointless, dull.
When PD listens to the "fans", it's mostly for the worse.

I'm happy they kept the Vision project as their thing, the reaction is extremely positive in the circles that matter, car developers (and designers too).
And it's good to hear how they are still playing with the audio, improving virtualization, bodes well for the future.

^ Weird, played a 5 lap race at Midfield in the rain and it didn't stutter or tear, have you tried deleting everything/downloading again?

Added to car list:

MINI Clubman Vision Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo Race Mode
Gran Turismo

Must be the already revealed VGT cars.

I don't recall seeing these before:

gtmode/CourseMakerRoot.adc
gtmode/CourseMakerRoot.mwidget

is it finally going to happen? banderas.gif

Can you still have different drivers with a custom name?

Details please, can't boot up GT6 for a while still. gimme all the juicy details on B-Spec!

paskowitz

I hope to God that PD has not forgotten that there is this thing called the PS4. Unless GT7 on PS4 is just going to be a port of GT6 with better performance and visual effects (which is likely considering how GT evolves), I cannot see how releasing all this new content doesn't take away from GT7's development.

I hope to God that PD has not forgotten that there is this thing called the PS4. Unless GT7 on PS4 is just going to be a port of GT6 with better performance and visual effects (which is likely considering how GT evolves), I cannot see how releasing all this new content doesn't take away from GT7's development.

GT7 is in development for the PS4, that much is certain. I believe these features are still coming through a reduced team left with the PS3 development, that's why they are so sparse (monthly support is barely sparse for most games but yeah...), and it is a way to "complete" the game as initially promised. That happened with GT5.

And to call them ports is a bad joke. They've shared assets these past 3 games, but that doesn't qualify the whole game as a "port".

Can you still have different drivers with a custom name?

Details please, can't boot up GT6 for a while still. gimme all the juicy details on B-Spec!

I haven't found the option for multiple racers, but the name is fully customizable. Now there are more commands to give, making the pilot much more predictable/controllable if you are paying attention.

I don't recall seeing these before:

gtmode/CourseMakerRoot.adc
gtmode/CourseMakerRoot.mwidget

is it finally going to happen? banderas.gif

Maybe the Alpine track is a custom track, comes out next month. Believe.

MGR

That's not a mistake. It’s the same reason you now can’t gift cars to your friends.

ux9B22M.jpg

B-Spec took the direction the majority of people that disliked B-Spec "asked" (not directly, but it is understandable): more control over the driver. You can look at gtplanet and here, how constant the complaints were about how the Bob AI was dumb, that directions you gave him barely influenced and so on. But PD instead of developing it from a different angle like improving team building/training, they went and made the player more "in control".

Yep, they managed to take a poorly conceived and executed idea from GT5 and make it even worse by pushing it in completely the wrong direction. The whole ‘manage your driver from the sideline’ philosophy needs to be binned completely. There is nothing fun about watching thick-as-bricks robot AI ‘battling’ other thick-as-bricks robot AI. The very notion that people would prefer this to watching actual real life motorsport is almost insulting.

If anything B-Spec characters should be used to complement the single player game ONLY. No separate B-Spec mode. Bring back endurance races of 4 – 24 hours, but let the player compete with a team of B-Spec drivers to share the load – just as you would in a real life scenario. The 24 hour single player races in GT5 were idiotic.

At least with GT5 B-Spec you could grind for credits. But now you need to provide a credit card number instead :/

Mascot

I wonder if anyone really believes that Kaz and PD will magically abandon two decades of illogical thought processes and baffling decision-making when developing GT7? I'm looking forward to the game with equal measures of expectation and trepidation, knowing in my heart of hearts that it'll undoubtedly contain design decisions that will be an ever-present source of frustration and annoyance.

The very notion that people would prefer this to watching actual real life motorsport is almost insulting.

If anything B-Spec characters should be used to complement the single player game ONLY. No separate B-Spec mode. Bring back endurance races of 4 – 24 hours, but let the player compete with a team of B-Spec drivers to share the load – just as you would in a real life scenario. The 24 hour single player races in GT5 were idiotic.

At least with GT5 B-Spec you could grind for credits. But now you need to provide a credit card number instead :/

I doubt anyone ever uttered that first sentence.

B-Spec would be cool if there was a full, proper mechanical damage/wear system. And full championship (10+ races at the least).
Make the driver offer radio feedback and you have to take decisions/instruct him. Add a fast forward button too, because this would be the game part[/I in Gran Turismo, just look at what other managers like Football Manager do and copy.

And you can easily "grind" credits with seasonals, their credit IAP died with login bonus. Problem with VGTs is that they are commemorative and a further vector for brand awareness, so promoting them to the maximum number of players you can would be the best goal. They really let the ball drop not making them "one-make races" at the Vision car spot. Even a Sierra-like time trial with all cars from the maker would be cool.

I wonder if anyone really believes that Kaz and PD will magically abandon two decades of illogical thought processes and baffling decision-making when developing GT7? I'm looking forward to the game with equal measures of expectation and trepidation, knowing in my heart of hearts that it'll undoubtedly contain design decisions that will be an ever-present source of frustration and annoyance.

I do, "two decades of illogical thought process" is very wrong.
Biggest problems came with GT5 in terms of design choices. And these problems are mostly release-frame related, delaying functions and delivering them with reduced content.
PD started testing out real time volumetric calculations of atmosphere with GT5, there was even a build where smoke/dirt particles were affected and funneled, but it was scrapped, likely because that's a costly process.
They delivered it with GT6 with canned calculations and no visual feedback. I'm 99% sure that's what broke the top speeds, but at least it wasn't dropped and forgotten, since that's a VERY important aspect for simulation.
And they improved and have been improving weight and suspension modelling from GT5 to GT6, and hopefully they'll continue with the tires too.
These are the most important aspects for the core of the product, the "driving simulator", and they are on it.
They are trying too with the feedback aspects of driving: wheel support and to a lesser extent, audio. I'm just sad my G27 may not be supported anymore.

Then we have GT Academy, FIA partnership and Vision, who ties these aspects with real applications, finally moving away from the poisonous idea of being a game only that breeds all these idiotic "dumb AI!", "Career mode sucks!", "scrap the standard models!" complaints. As is the game already does enough to bring in all ages and interest brackets, so there's no need to further simplify, but rather work to redirect their interest in participating in GT Academy/FIA events, improve License tests and tutorials so people understand the differences between cars and so on.

Then after all that and delivering Course Maker, you can think of leaderboards and smart AIs that would actually keep most of the players in the 16th position the entire 5 laps.

Top Bottom