• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

FrankWza

What's up guys! One of the lucky ones who got a T500 dirt cheap, in the market now for either a stand or a racing chair, can I hear some recommendations?

most of the commercial ones are pretty good. i have a rennsport stand and its awesome for my needs. ive used playseats and theyre ok but the pole gets in the way. the wheel stand because of how theyre positioned do not even with middle pole. check the sim racing hardware forum at gtplanet for most feedback though. you will find a lot of threads there that will help. basically decide if you want a dedicated pit or a stand taht can fold and be hidden/put away and go from there.

edit: i have a t500 and shifter on my rennsport stand btw. handles the FFB of t500 great but shifter is in a bit of an unnatural position but not too bad.

Yes. I've always had my PS3 set to 720p since that's what the majority of games run at.

I watch Blu Rays, though, so that means setting my PS3 to 720p when I start up GT, then setting it back to 1080p when I'm done. Or, in real life, it means starting up GT in 1080p, getting all the way into a race before I remember, quitting out, setting it to 720p, then forgetting it's at 720p the next time I watch a Blu Ray and quitting out, etc etc, every single time. I mean, it's not exactly a dealbreaker, because I'm still going to buy the game and play it for dozens of hours, but it's just another one of those things PD does that are totally incomprehensible.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
most of the commercial ones are pretty good. i have a rennsport stand and its awesome for my needs. ive used playseats and theyre ok but the pole gets in the way. the wheel stand because of how theyre positioned do not even with middle pole. check the sim racing hardware forum at gtplanet for most feedback though. you will find a lot of threads there that will help. basically decide if you want a dedicated pit or a stand taht can fold and be hidden/put away and go from there.

Thanks I'll check this out.

nib95

Banned
Yup. Expecting 70s.

If GT6 does get 70's whilst F5 has been handed out plenty of 8's, 9's and even 10's, despite it's limited content (cars and tracks), modes, lack of day/night, weather, new features, even more laughable micro transaction based design and all the rest…I will be somewhat perplexed.

Having said that, given the late review embargo, something must be up.

JLeack

Banned
I've been wondering why reviews with scores haven't popped up yet. I'm surprised that we didn't start to get them yesterday.

We just received our copy earlier today. The embargo is definitely after launch.

I can't say what I think about the game yetbut I will say that my intuitions were correct.

JLeack

Banned
If GT6 does get 70's whilst F5 has been handed out plenty of 8's, 9's and even 10's, despite it's limited content (cars and tracks), modes, lack of day/night, weather, new features, even more laughable micro transaction based design and all the rest…I will be extremely surprised and somewhat perplexed.

You're missing the whole point. Step back and think about what you're saying.

We just received our copy earlier today. The embargo is definitely after launch.

I can't say what I think about the game yetbut I will say that my intuitions were correct.
In that case, less than ninety minutes left. Very curious to see what you have to say.

nib95

Banned
You're missing the whole point. Step back and think about what you're saying.

I'm really not. The things I listed are huge reasons why I even buy new racing games to begin with. GT has a pretty proven gameplay track record. It's added features, better physics, more modes, options, tracks, cars etc people keep coming back for, and obviously that entails more refined gameplay to boot.

If GT6 does get 70's whilst F5 has been handed out plenty of 8's, 9's and even 10's, despite it's limited content (cars and tracks), modes, lack of day/night, weather, new features, even more laughable micro transaction based design and all the rest…I will be somewhat perplexed.

Would you really be surprised given the media's fascination with another company, one that also tends to be one of the larger buyers of advertising on these sites?

Some of the reviews won't even hit at midnight because sites want to take the online into account (Game Informer and Destructoid have already said there's would come some time after the embargo). With that said, i'm not really sure why people are worried about the scores. I don't really see it getting bad or even mediocre scores as basically every impression coming out from people that got the game early has been very positive.

Quexex

Banned
Liking it so far, I'm not pro enough to judge the new physics model but it feels pretty good to me. I've only done the novice events, national B license, amateur karts, amateur FR and amateur FF so far but yeah, enjoying it, looking forward to racing online tomorrow after doing the nat. A license tests...

Positives (so far):

- Physics, and hence cars, seem more alive.
- The speed/sense of navigation is vastly improved.
- Some mandatory assist settings in licenses.
- Frame rate seems smooth at 720p settings.
- A few surprises in the car list for me (as someone who has been avoiding getting too spoilered).
- Friends trace line type thing on the license tests.
- Premium car models are gorgeous.
- Event variation, even at this early stage, seems better than GT5.
- Blind spot indicators.
- Karts are still in.

Negatives (so far):

- Jaggy straight edges, particularly noticeable for example on the white lines in the amateur kart race at the GT Arena, eek.
- Have to play a lot of SP to even unlock MP (around an hour or two I reckon - 2 of three events in the novice class plus the nat. B license, 7 races (across any events ) in the amateur class plus the nat. A license).
- Common opponents list on the info screen before entering a race doesn't list PP/HP/weight/tyres for these potential opponents which can make judging the right car to use for a challenge a little harder.
- dealership possibly a little overwhelming, particularly when you can't immediately tell standard from premium and there is no way of knowing at a manufacturer screen level of knowing whether there are any premium cars of that make. The upside of this is that it makes the near-duplicate car issue very very obvious.
- Car list available in arcade mode is way too small and doesn't have many obvious car match ups for split screen.
- Same old sounds/damage model.
- No taco stand at the 'ring.

I have absolutely no doubt I'll sink many many happy hours into it but the PS3 is starting to show it's age a little now.

Use the recommended garage it filters the car list to the ones suitable for each level.

Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't a late embargo make sense considering the state of the game + direction of the franchise?

Many promised features and stuff aren't day 1, but will come as part of GT's transformation into a service rather than a standalone game on its own.

A review of GT6 a year from now may look very different.

Some of the reviews won't even hit at midnight because sites want to take the online into account (Game Informer and Destructoid have already said there's would come some time after the embargo).
This.

I'll have some coverage up on GameTrailers, but I just loaded up the game 15 minutes ago and the online still isn't up.

JimiNutz

Banned

Forza plays absolutely amazing though.
Not everything is about bullet points on a page.
Features are fantastic and they do enhance an experience but surely it's ultimately about the actual gameplay? How much fun will you have with the game?

I'm sure GT6 will play very well, but you can't just say 'we've got more content and features therefore we deserve to score just as well as that game which has less content and features...'

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Didn't Polyphony state that the review embargo is there because of the day 1 update? Essentially what they were saying was that they didn't want reviews being put up based on the non updated code.

spwolf

Maybe I'm just naive, but doesn't a late embargo make sense considering the state of the game + direction of the franchise?

Many promised features and stuff aren't day 1, but will come as part of GT's transformation into a service rather than a standalone game on its own.

A review of GT6 a year from now may look very different.

embargo is certainly due to day 1 patch.

I think people should complain about reviews:
1. Once reviews come out
2. Once we try the game

My GT6 is downloading and cant wait really... will move my PS3 to other room where i have 5x faster line.

I don't get why you guys are expecting poor reviews. Mainline GT has never scored below 80. And it's not like the competitors have raised any bars since 2010. In fact, Forza went backwards with the latest iteration...

JLeack

Banned
I'm really not. The things I listed are huge reasons why I even buy new racing games to begin with. GT has a pretty proven gameplay track record. It's added features, better physics, more modes, options, tracks, cars etc people keep coming back for, and obviously that entails more refined gameplay to boot.

Do yourself a favor and play Forza 5. Hell, if you live in southern California you're welcome to come over to my home and play it. You're not giving it the credit it deserves.

And yes, I'm talking about Forza in a GT thread, but only because it was brought up by someone else.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Forza plays absolutely amazing though.
Not everything is about bullet points on a page.
Features are fantastic and they do enhance an experience but surely it's ultimately about the actual gameplay? How much fun will you have with the game?

I'm sure GT6 will play very well, but you can't just say 'we've got more content and features therefore we deserve to score just as well as that game which has less content and features...'

Ahh...GT5's driving model was sublime, and I don't see why GT6's won't be either. So if both games have good driving models, then it is content and features that separates them. What happens when the game that has less of those gets rated higher, and things that weren't an issue (Micro-transaction etc) in one game, are now an issue in the other?

I'd be more than "perplexed."

It would be a double standard.

nib95

Banned
Do yourself a favor and play Forza 5. Hell, if you live in southern California you're welcome to come over to my home and play it. You're not giving it the credit it deserves.

And yes, I'm talking about Forza in a GT thread, but only because it was brought up by someone else.

I appreciate the kind offer lol.

But honestly, I don't feel Forza 5 has done enough to warrant a purchase given I'd have to buy an Xbox One for it. It really is the least ambitious Forza game Turn 10 have released, and add to that, the way they've dealt with content, lack of new features, cars, tracks, the micro transaction implementation (built in to the fabric of the game itself), DLC, steering wheel support (admittedly Microsoft's fault) and I just find less and less reason to invest, despite enjoying both Forza 3 and 4. Always preferred GT anyway so it's no big loss. Hell, I'm not even particularly impressed with the visuals, and that's one of the main reasons people invest in a next gen console at launch. In terms of visuals and lighting, it's just not the next generation leap I was expecting.

No way I'm playing any of these games with a controller either, so I have to consider that too.

How long do you usually spend with online before you are satisfied enough to write the review?

Until I'm satisfied is really the best way to put it. It's going to vary based on the game, but I'll put at least a few hours into it. I've still got more I want to do in single player too, so my review won't be up until Monday night at the earliest.

jayu26

Until I'm satisfied is really the best way to put it. It's going to vary based on the game, but I'll put at least a few hours into it. I've still got more I want to do in single player too, so my review won't be up until Monday night at the earliest.

I see. Looking forward to reading it.

Your input is appreciated.

Mush

Did you end up getting a Precision Pack code?
Nope. :(

Anyway, since I am wheel-less for another 2 weeks, I've spent the last hour fiddling around with menus and browsing dealerships.

Now I'm mucking about with the karts in Arcade mode. Man, I've forgotten how fun these things are, even with a DS3.

malyce

The online features that PD wanted to implement wont be patched in till next year. GT6 online = GT5 Online + Ability to change name of rooms, mandatory pit stops and tire changes, and a new qualifying option. It's practically GT5 with prettier menus.

The online features that PD wanted to implement wont be patched in till next year. GT6 online = GT5 Online + Ability to change name of rooms, mandatory pit stops and tire changes, and a new qualifying option. It's practically GT5 with prettier menus.

It still has some important additions like forcing a set number of pit stops or tire changes per race. Not doing so will result in a time penalty at the end of the race. And the ability to create quick One-Make races by giving the host the ability to select a specific car out of their garage and then everyone drives it.

It still has some important additions like forcing a set number of pit stops or tire changes per race. Not doing so will result in a time penalty at the end of the race. And the ability to create quick One-Make races by giving the host the ability to select a specific car out of their garage and then everyone drives it.

Car clubs too.

malyce

Sure it was out of the user's garage? From what I read it's the same setup as GT5 with the host being able to choose a car from the "recommended garage" for the whole room.

Car clubs too.

Did car clubs make it in?

MGR

Admittedly I haven't played it yet but I'm pretty sure it's the exact same one-make system that GT5 had. ie only limited to a select number of vehicles.

Dead Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=659PCcIwVNg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

dont know if its posted already.
Does anybody kno if the sound is going to get patched?

God damn, not just the vacuum cleaner, but those tyre sounds :/ They are totally ridiculous.

I trust Garnett Lee for racing games, I am getting GT6 regardless as I have not played one since 2 and I really dislike Rivals so far.

Get a PS2 and GT4. Unless 6 really knocks it out of the park it will still be the best one.

Liking it so far, I'm not pro enough to judge the new physics model but it feels pretty good to me. I've only done the novice events, national B license, amateur karts, amateur FR and amateur FF so far but yeah, enjoying it, looking forward to racing online tomorrow after doing the nat. A license tests...

Positives (so far):

- Physics, and hence cars, seem more alive.
- The speed/sense of navigation is vastly improved.
- Some mandatory assist settings in licenses.
- Frame rate seems smooth at 720p settings.
- A few surprises in the car list for me (as someone who has been avoiding getting too spoilered).
- Friends trace line type thing on the license tests.
- Premium car models are gorgeous.
- Event variation, even at this early stage, seems better than GT5.
- Blind spot indicators.
- Karts are still in.
Excellent.
Negatives (so far):

- Jaggy straight edges, particularly noticeable for example on the white lines in the amateur kart race at the GT Arena, eek.
- Have to play a lot of SP to even unlock MP (around an hour or two I reckon - 2 of three events in the novice class plus the nat. B license, 7 races (across any events ) in the amateur class plus the nat. A license).
- Common opponents list on the info screen before entering a race doesn't list PP/HP/weight/tyres for these potential opponents which can make judging the right car to use for a challenge a little harder.
- dealership possibly a little overwhelming, particularly when you can't immediately tell standard from premium and there is no way of knowing at a manufacturer screen level of knowing whether there are any premium cars of that make. The upside of this is that it makes the near-duplicate car issue very very obvious.
- Car list available in arcade mode is way too small and doesn't have many obvious car match ups for split screen.
- Same old sounds/damage model.
- No taco stand at the 'ring.

I have absolutely no doubt I'll sink many many happy hours into it but the PS3 is starting to show it's age a little now.

Fucking hell, how can you make a decent race with no rubber banding if you don't know what the opposition will be driving speed wise?

Thanks for your impressions, appreciated :)

Didn't Polyphony state that the review embargo is there because of the day 1 update? Essentially what they were saying was that they didn't want reviews being put up based on the non updated code.

PD should have released a completed game then :/ I hate this shit everyone does now.

Dead Man

Ahh...GT5's driving model was sublime, and I don't see why GT6's won't be either. So if both games have good driving models, then it is content and features that separates them. What happens when the game that has less of those gets rated higher, and things that weren't an issue (Micro-transaction etc) in one game, are now an issue in the other?

Gameplay is not just the driving model. If you had a game that had 6 billion cars and perfect physics but had no races that made sense and had a broken online system you would not score it highly, would you? There are a lot of things that relate to a games quality, not just physics and amount of content.

Top Bottom