• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 Sells 2.37 Million Copies, 72.6 Million For GT Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah they released it in a bad spot. I remember when Final Fantasy 9 released after PS2 launch. I was a big Final Fantasy fan at that time and I never played FF9 ever. I got 7, 8, 10, 11 <3, 12, skipped 13+ so far because of how it seemed. I may try FF13 Lightning Returns on PC since it seem like a action game.

I did not get GT6 because I am anticipating GT PS4, exactly like FF ps1 to PS2.

Kind of surprised that not many people seem to mention GT5 poor initial reception as a potential reason for GT6's poor sales. GT5 wasn't an awful game by any means, and it got a LOT of updates over its lifespan. But the lengthy wait, the various launch issues like poor UI, a huge install, the first appearance of standard vs. premium cars (which, for the record, I'm mostly okay with but I know a lot of GAFfers weren't and still aren't), and the return of perennial GT complaints like bad sound and chase-the-rabbit moving-obstacles AI didn't do the game many favours, and I can see a lot of people buying GT5 because they'd been waiting for it for years, and then being underwhelmed.

farisr

Expected something like this, I was thinking at most they sold 3 mil.

Launch after PS4 released.
Rumors of a PS4 edition of GT6.
Driveclub initially was going to be a ps4 launch title.

Most of its audience had already spent way too much money to buy a game releasing on a last-gen system.

heyf00L

Let me get this straight. VIRAG pays to advertise on a track. That track is recreated in a videogame seen by at least 10 million people (GT5) for free and VIRAG is mad about this? Why?

The question would be if porting a old PS3 centric engine to the PS4 with a quite different hardware architecture is worth the additional time and manpower.

Or that working on GT7 was more important.
if that's the case then maybe gt6 (and gowascension for that matter) should've been in Ps4 development in the first place. I dunno what you're saying about gt7, though. there has to be a 6th installment before the 7th

Kill3r7

Just out of curiosity was there another racing game last gen that sold more than 5 million copies outside of GT5?

EBreda

I don't really think GT6 was supposed to come out after the ps4 did. It ended up there because of a couple of major delays, as usual.

But I'm pretry sure the plan was to release it before, maybe March 2013? It would've sold so much better it might actually have surpassed GT5.

Anyway, GT7 is poised to dominate in sales once again, with all the installed base of the ps4 and the lack of sim competition on the console apart from pcars, which was released in an unplayable state.

Had an up-port of the PS3 version of this game been a PS4 launch title, I'd wager we'd have seen much better numbers. But I guess it didn't look good enough to be a PS4 game.

Expected them to be low, but not that low. GT6 was almost an apology for GT5. GT6 on PS3 shouldn't have existed, not because the PS4 was already out, but because they should have not fucked so many things up in GT5. GT6 can be summed up as, "too little too late." The fact we haven't even got so much as a CG trailer for GT7 is no boding well. I think PD's entire development cycle is fucked because of the one giant wrench in the works named Kaz. They are still releasing pointless GT Vision cars for GT6, while major features like the GPS course creator that was supposed to be available at launch still doesn't exist. They shouldn't be wasting another second on GT6. It is relatively small install base on a dying console. They need full steam ahead on GT7, which is almost guaranteed to be more of the same, but at least will sell a hell of a lot better than 2.3 million copies.

I would pay good money for a proper behind the scenes documentary of PD through the years. That place has to be an absolute clusterfuck. I would figure Sony would be shoveling money and resources their way to get GT7 out asap, but maybe they did that with GT5 and it still shipped half assed.

kaiyo

Let me get this straight. VIRAG pays to advertise on a track. That track is recreated in a videogame seen by at least 10 million people (GT5) for free and VIRAG is mad about this? Why?

I'm wondering the same. I didn't read through the 7 pages but almost every post is talking about GT6 sales instead of the lawsuit lol.

Kill3r7

Expected them to be low, but not that low. GT6 was almost an apology for GT5. GT6 on PS3 shouldn't have existed, not because the PS4 was already out, but because they should have not fucked so many things up in GT5. GT6 can be summed up as, "too little too late." The fact we haven't even got so much as a CG trailer for GT7 is no boding well. I think PD's entire development cycle is fucked because of the one giant wrench in the works named Kaz. They are still releasing pointless GT Vision cars for GT6, while major features like the GPS course creator that was supposed to be available at launch still doesn't exist. They shouldn't be wasting another second on GT6. It is relatively small install base on a dying console. They need full steam ahead on GT7, which is almost guaranteed to be more of the same, but at least will sell a hell of a lot better than 2.3 million copies.

I would pay good money for a proper behind the scenes documentary of PD through the years. That place has to be an absolute clusterfuck. I would figure Sony would be shoveling money and resources their way to get GT7 out asap, but maybe they did that with GT5 and it still shipped half assed.

That's all fine and good but I think this has more to do with genre than GT5. Racing game aren't selling as well as they once did. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there was another racing game outside of GT5 that sold more than 5 million copies last gen and that includes multiplatform games.

Worse than the PSP game. Horrific decision to make that PS3 exclusive.

Yep. I remember people defending the decision.

Which baffles me to this day. Who in their right minds thought it do amazing numbers being PS3 exclusive a month after the PS4 launched? Should've been a cross-gen launch title or launch window title.

The amount of work that would need to go into the game to port it, is better served by them creating a new GT and using what they can from previous games and reworking/recreating the poor assets.

GT6 doesn't need a port, what we need is a GT7 that has retired the standard vehicles and sound.

That's all fine and good but I think this has more to do with genre than GT5. Racing game aren't selling as well as they once did. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there was another racing game outside of GT5 that sold more than 5 million copies last gen and that includes multiplatform games.

Not entirely. GT is almost always going to be a sales giant, unless you release an uninspired sequel on a last-gen console. No matter what the genre is doing as a whole, the first GT game on a new Sony console is going to sell gangbusters for the graphics hype alone. The errors of GT5 are long forgotten for the general public, most of which probably didn't even know GT6 came out on PS3. As long as GT7 looks great, it will sell incredibly well. Despite my problems with the franchise last gen, I don't doubt their sales potential for a second. Which just highlights how poorly GT6 was managed, for it to sell that low.

they went the whynotboth.gif route, they got free advertisement AND will sue Sony for a quick buck.

I'm thinking that Sony banked this decision on Drive Club actually hitting the launch window. No other reason for this game not to be cross gen with how bad PS360 software sales had tanked by 2013.

Another thing that could have affected the legs of the title was it was essentially a carbon copy of gt5. Polyphony also spoke of monthly dlc packs and content, which was not delivered.

Heck we are still waiting for track creator which was supposed to come out shortly after launch.

Hopefully gt7 will be fantastic and make up for the missteps of gt6.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Was expected when they released it at the end of the generation, although I didn't expect it to sell this low, that's for sure. Still, the series has a huge opportunity on PS4 if they bring in some new content and features and we can certainly see another 10 million seller again.

And this is yet another example of why no one should ever use chartz for sales figures-

QM8SiFf.jpg

mclem

I'm somewhat thrown by the lawsuit. The company paid for advertising, and then sued because that advert also got propogated into a channel they didn't pay for?

I mean, I can see that they're fundamentally within their rights, I just don't really see how this situation is bad for them.

Sorry to admit but I'm glad. I didn't buy 6 because 5 was such a disappointment. GT has been one of my favorite series since the original. I hope 7 is the game 5 should have been and then some. I want to love gran turismo again.

After GT3 it all went downhill for Polyphony as they focused on the wrong things. Sony might want to ditch the series, or at least wait until the end of the consoles life to get the next one out as Project Cars will fill the gap for years to come.

After GT3 it all went downhill for Polyphony as they focused on the wrong things. Sony might want to ditch the series, or at least wait until the end of the consoles life to get the next one out as Project Cars will fill the gap for years to come.

Really? Ditch the series? I'm so very glad you're not in charge of some companies product development, product management division.

Yeah, let's not release Sony's most successful, best selling IP on the hottest selling console since PS2. Makes a ton of sense (no it doesn't)

Edit: Wait. Was I just trolled? Or 'trolol' as the young kids say these days.

Mr Swine

Banned
Another thing that could have affected the legs of the title was it was essentially a carbon copy of gt5. Polyphony also spoke of monthly dlc packs and content, which was not delivered.

Heck we are still waiting for track creator which was supposed to come out shortly after launch.

Hopefully gt7 will be fantastic and make up for the missteps of gt6.

Or not, Sony probably wants to make as much money as possible with GT7 after GT6 "flopped" badly so I guess we will see if they push GT7 out with minor improvements (except graphics) over the last 2 games

EGM1966

I'm somewhat thrown by the lawsuit. The company paid for advertising, and then sued because that advert also got propogated into a channel they didn't pay for?

I mean, I can see that they're fundamentally within their rights, I just don't really see how this situation is bad for them.
Seems that way unless I'm missing something. You'd figure they'd be happy at the free advertising but no.

Im surprised they have continued to support this game regardless of those sales, the have released tons of new content since launch, that studio does seem to work in a vacuum.

Zophar

That's too bad, I really liked GT6. Probably my favorite sim racer from the PS3/360 generation. Here's hoping GT7 turns out awesome.

If it comes out in 2016 doesn't that mean that they'll have to show something at this year's TGS?

TGS: September 15th
Tokyo motor show: October 29th/30th
Paris Games Week: October 27th
Sema Los Vegas: November 3-6th
PlayStation Experience: December 6th

Possible places to reveal GT7 this year.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Was expected when they released it at the end of the generation, although I didn't expect it to sell this low, that's for sure. Still, the series has a huge opportunity on PS4 if they bring in some new content and features and we can certainly see another 10 million seller again.

And this is yet another example of why no one should ever use chartz for sales figures-

QM8SiFf.jpg

Dunno, that seems like a decent enough guess (which is all ******** is doing).

I wonder just what this means for the series long term. GT games were always bulletproof. Heck I bought that crapola GT PSP full price day one and I knew it was crap. Didn't even touch GT6.

Just imagine if a lot of the PS3 only titles in 2013 were released for the PS4:

Ni No Kuni
The Last of Us
God of War Ascension
Puppeteer
Gran Turismo 6
Beyond Two Souls
Rain
Sly Cooper Thieves In Time

Of course some were released earlier in the year, but some that I could have seen being valuable PS4 launch titles to help improve the systems' launch lineup (or at the very least, cross gen ports at launch) are TLoU, Gran Turismo 6, Beyond Two Souls, Puppeteer, Rain and God of War Ascension. I know GoW was released earlier in the year, but idk, I feel they should have kept it as a PS4 launch title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom