• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

paskowitz

Really?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sales have been slacking since Pro Street. If you look at NFS as a brand/franchise (console, mobile, Speed Hunters, etc) I guess you could say it is doing ok. This decline has been across the whole genre. The console arcade racer just isn't as strong as it used to be.

The only reason Porsche has an agreement is because, as Solid said, it is likely very lucrative. A company like Porsche doesn't do things for no reason.

Take this with a grain of salt because I still cannot find the article, but I remember reading that the whole deal came about because something like EA executive(s) were big Porsche customers and thus formed a friendship with the manufacturer or those executives went to work for Porsche in the marketing/licensing department.

Given Kaz's new found prominence in the automotive world, I would not be surprised if we see a change.

As I mentioned earlier, the Porsche deal never made sense for EA in the first place. Car manufacturers don't sell games. And by that I mean you aren't going to see people saying "Ooh, this game has Porsche, i'm going to get it over that game". GT managed to become the biggest racing franchise without having Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari. EA's just wasting money by paying Porsche whatever it takes to hold on to the license exclusively. But it's hard to blame Porsche for taking it because it's probably a good amount ofmoney.

Gran Turismo did make the Japanese cars like the Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra, Subaru Impreza. Mitsubishi Lancer etc popular in the west which shows how big it was when it first came out.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Really?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sales have been slacking since Pro Street. If you look at NFS as a brand/franchise (console, mobile, Speed Hunters, etc) I guess you could say it is doing ok. This decline has been across the whole genre. The console arcade racer just isn't as strong as it used to be.

The only reason Porsche has an agreement is because, as Solid said, it is likely very lucrative. A company like Porsche doesn't do things for no reason.

Take this with a grain of salt because I still cannot find the article, but I remember reading that the whole deal came about because something like EA executive(s) were big Porsche customers and thus formed a friendship with the manufacturer or those executives went to work for Porsche in the marketing/licensing department.

Given Kaz's new found prominence in the automotive world, I would not be surprised if we see a change.

I am literally talking about the current gen NFS game that just came out. As far as I know, it reviewed mediocre and sold below expectations.

What about the partnership with the FIA?
The International Federation of Motorsport has already been around for over a hundred years. However, they do not expect motorsport to carry on in the same fashion it has up until now. So we and the FIA entered an agreement to design the next 100 years of Motorsport. With the Gran Turismo Series, we were aways focused on continuing to make history with it. And with Sports, we want to to create a new future for motorsports, that is the idea behind it. It's very exciting.
If they're going where I think they're going with this, it's potentially a megaton, not just for video games, but also for motorsports. GT Academy has been very successful, and motorsports have come under a lot of fire in recent years over environmental concerns and general costs of competing. I think they're prepping GT Sport to basically be the official farm league of professional motorsports. Keep the top couple of tiers in real cars, and move everything below that to virtual competition. Across the sport, this will save tons of money and fuel, freeing up a lot of resources for the real-world competition that draws the really big crowds, and vastly improve accessibility for aspiring racers. A PS4 ain't cheap, but it costs a fuck of a lot less than a competitive racing kart. $300, and you can start working your way up the ranks, getting noticed by coaches and sponsors…

Very exciting, indeed.

DD

I am literally talking about the current gen NFS game that just came out. As far as I know, it reviewed mediocre and sold below expectations.

Well, EA can shove their hollow games with that awful DRM up their asses.

Well, if these companies keep insisting on making racing games for people that cares only about what's trending (and racing is definitely NOT something trendy right now), they'll suffer to find sales numbers. I mean, it's no problem to make a game with trendy stuff, but if this is all that matters in a game, the game will suck. See Dirt 3, for example. They should make racing games for people who care about racing. Instead, they come with shallow experiences made for people with short attention span. It's like they have a fear of people getting bored with something with more deepness. It bores me to death these games with races with 2/3 laps in championships that are up to just 3 races. Why not giving me three 15-20 races championships instead of 200 championships with 3 races each? What about instead of shoving me hundreds of cars that I don't care about, and 10-15 unique locations, you guys give me a game with 30-40 locations and not so many cars, but ones I can get attached with? I mean, gaming is all about immersion, ant that's the point where arcade races fall flat, all of them, including Forza Horizon and Driveclub, the currently most loved ones.

See Forza Horizon, for example. It offers hundreds of cars, a BEAUTIFUL map, and you get to the festival as the Mr. Nobody. Your objective is to get big, to be recognized, to defeat the big names there. Sounds cool, but then you notice that despite the fact that you're Mr. Nobody, everything revolves around you. The events are there on the map, but they'll only happen if and when you decide to take part. You can do them at the order you want, anytime you want. They'll be waiting there forever for Mr. Nobody. What I mean is that that's a very light approach to the gamer, and a game sometimes has to be mean. If it's not mean, it's not a game anymore. So what if, for example, the career in Forza Horizon was designed in a way that YOU have to follow the rules instead of you making the rules? "Hey Mr. Nobody, there's an event happening at the X place in 30 minutes, worth $X credits and X points. Go there if you're interested", and if you miss it, you fuckin' miss it forever, and that's it. And that wouldn't necessarily mean that you can't achieve your objectives at that game. It's all about game design.

And there's another problem with these games: you have to win (or at least be on the top 3) of every f*ckin' race. I don't know, sometimes finishing in 5th coming from a hard battle starting from 9th, sometimes it feels better than winning.

I don't mean that I want the games to be harder. I just don't want to be the almighty in it, where a game tries so hard not to bore me (and doing exactly that instead) where everything revolves around me, that will force me to win everything I'll have to face.

A game that's the complete opposite of that is Dirt Rally, and that's why it is this bloody brilliant game, with so much praising, even still in early access. It's a mean game, hard as f*ck, but every time you fail, you have only yourself to blame. You know what you did wrong, and you have to deal with it. But it's a sim, tho. An amazing arcade game that work somewhat that way is Grid Autosport, if anyone is interested in something like what I described.

It's interesting that Kaz has noted that despite what people think, they do actually have a good relationship with Porsche. It's just that they aren't willing to give them some sort of special treatment in order to include them in the game. So it's just a matter of how long EA decides to hold on to the license.

Gran Turismo did make the Japanese cars like the Nissan Skyline, Toyota Supra, Subaru Impreza. Mitsubishi Lancer etc popular in the west which shows how big it was when it first came out.

Oh yeah, i'm just talking about how car manufacturers themselves aren't going to give a game much of a boost. You really don't see people flocking to NFS simply because EA owns the Porsche license. It's really a shame that there aren't more racing fans in mainstream gaming media because i'd genuinely love to hear why EA thinks the Porsche license is so important. I believe they've had the license since the 90's, and yet I don't think anyone has ever asked them why they have it.

Mascot

Well, EA can shove their hollow games with that awful DRM up their asses.

Well, if these companies keep insisting on making racing games for people that cares only about what's trending (and racing is definitely NOT something trendy right now), they'll suffer to find sales numbers. I mean, it's no problem to make a game with trendy stuff, but it this is all that matters in a game, the game will suck. See Dirt 3, for example. They should make racing games for people who care about racing. Instead, they come with shallow experiences made for people with short attention span. It's like they have a fear of people getting bored with something with more deepness. It bores me to death these games with races with 2/3 laps in championships that are up to just 3 races. Why not giving me three 15-20 races championships instead of 200 championships with 3 races each? What about instead of shoving me hundreds of cars that I don't care about, and 10-15 unique locations, you guys give me a game with 30-40 locations and not so many cars, but ones I can get attached with? I mean, gaming is all about immersion, ant that's the point where arcade races fall flat, all of them, including Forza Horizon and Driveclub, the currently most loved ones.

See Forza Horizon, for example. It offers hundreds of cars, a BEAUTIFUL map, and you get to the festival as the Mr. Nobody. Your objective is to get big, to be recognized, to defeat the big names there. Sounds cool, but then you notice that despite the fact that you're Mr. Nobody, everything revolves around you. The events are there on the map, but they'll only happen if and when you decide to take part. You can do them at the order you want, anytime you want. They'll be waiting there forever for Mr. Nobody. What I mean is that that's a very light approach to the gamer, and a game sometimes has to be mean. If it's not mean, it's not a game anymore. So what if, for example, the career in Forza Horizon was designed in a way that YOU have to follow the rules instead of you making the rules? "Hey Mr. Nobody, there's an event happening at the X place in 30 minutes, worth $X credits and X points. Go there if you're interested", and if you miss it, you fuckin' miss it forever, and that's it. And that wouldn't necessarily mean that you can't achieve your objectives at that game. It's all about game design.

And there's another problem with these games: you have to win (or at least be on the top 3) of every f*ckin' race. I don't know, sometimes finishing in 5th coming from a hard battle starting from 9th, sometimes it feels better than winning.

I don't mean that I want the games to be harder. I just don't want to be the almighty in it, where a game tries so hard not to bore me (and doing exactly that instead) where everything revolves around me, that will force me to win everything I'll have to face.

A game that's the complete opposite of that is Dirt Rally, and that's why it is this bloody brilliant game, with so much praising, even still in early access. It's a mean game, hard as f*ck, but every time you fail, you have only yourself to blame. You know what you did wrong, and you have to deal with it. But it's a sim, tho. An amazing arcade game that work somewhat that way is Grid Autosport, if anyone is interested in something like what I described.

Great post.

more simulation master race bs

You do realize that people's interests are different? instead of essentially insulting everybody who plays these "shallow experiences made for people with short attention span" (Which is the underlying point I got from this post, even though I do agree that there needs to be more racing games that focus on simply putting in a good race regardless of position, even though inherently that's a trait only applicable to simulation games like Project CARS, iRacing, and others that don't have an economy set up via winning) you could try to understand why I don't want every racing game to be a 20 lap simulation gong show. Sometimes I and others want a game we can play for a couple hours a week.

This post, FWIW, is why I've come to loathe a lot of people who play simulation games, often times it's the same "Arcade racing games are the devil!" schtick that gets old after a while

DD

You do realize that people's interests are different? instead of essentially insulting everybody who plays these "shallow experiences made for people with short attention span" (Which is the underlying point I got from this post, even though I do agree that there needs to be more racing games that focus on simply putting in a good race regardless of position, even though inherently that's a trait only applicable to simulation games like Project CARS, iRacing, and others that don't have an economy set up via winning) you could try to understand why I don't want every racing game to be a 20 lap simulation gong show. Sometimes I and others want a game we can play for a couple hours a week.

This post, FWIW, is why I've come to loathe a lot of people who play simulation games, often times it's the same "Arcade racing games are the devil!" schtick that gets old after a while
You got the wrong picture, mate. I'm not a sim-only guy. I'm more into simcades, actually, but I play everything, to be honest, because racing is my favorite genre, although I don't even own a wheel.

The thing is: I treat a game like a book. I want to get immersed in it. I don't think that 20 laps is something that everyone should do in a virtual race (I don't do it either). But I also don't want the get into a race to do just 2 or 3 laps, or a 90 seconds rally stage. I don't want to pretend that a sequence of two races should be called a "championship". And I think that it's ok to just boot a game and play some quick races here and there to relax instead of a stressful long and hard race or campaign. The problem is that these arcade games don't give you options. And know what is funny? The sims do. You want to get deep into the game? You can do it. Want to just do a quick short race? You can. But on arcade games, you have no options. You're struck to that shallow formula.

"Once upon a time..."

Gaming is fantasy. Let me live this fantasy. Don't take that from me. Sometimes I want to do just a quick race, but most of the time I want to feel like I'm part of something big, and I just can't see any of Driveclub's or Forza's events as something big. I mean, let me weep when I drive as an idiot, and let me feel proud of finishing in 5th in a race, knowing that I might have other races to recover the points I lost; let me love my car instead of making rain money and cars over my head. I don't want a game trying to make me believe I'm the best driver in the world. I don't know, I understand your point, but sometimes I feel a game is designed to bore me after a few hours, so I'll buy it's next iteration believing that it's better than it's predecessor (or the DLCs).

diffusionx

Gold Member
You got the wrong picture, mate. I'm not a sim-only guy. I'm more into simcades, actually, but I play everything, to be honest, because racing is my favorite genre, although I don't even own a wheel.

The thing is: I treat a game like a book. I want to get immersed in it. I don't think that 20 laps is something that everyone should do in a virtual race (I don't do it either). But I also don't want the get into a race to do just 2 or 3 laps, or a 90 seconds rally stage. I don't want to pretend that a sequence of two races should be called a "championship". And I think that it's ok to just boot a game and play some quick races here and there to relax instead of a stressful long and hard race or campaign. The problem is that these arcade games don't give you options. And know what is funny? The sims do. You want to get deep into the game? You can do it. Want to just do a quick short race? You can. But on arcade games, you have no options. You're struck to that shallow formula.

"Once upon a time..."

Gaming is fantasy. Let me live this fantasy. Don't take that from me. Sometimes I want to do just a quick race, but most of the time I want to feel like I'm part of something big, and I just can't see any of Driveclub's or Forza's events as something big. I mean, let me weep when I drive as an idiot, and let me feel proud of finishing in 5th in a race, knowing that I might have other races to recover the points I lost; let me love my car instead of making rain money and cars over my head. I don't want a game trying to make me believe I'm the best driver in the world. I don't know, I understand your point, but sometimes I feel a game is designed to bore me after a few hours, so I'll buy it's next iteration believing that it's better than it's predecessor (or the DLCs).

I'm glad games like Dirt Rally exist for people like you, but people do want to be the best racer in the world and have 300 cars in their garage. It's escapist fantasy. This is why GT1 blew up in 1997. And there are also online modes for people who want to scratch out 5th place finishes. Sure enough people do take Forza online very seriously. So yea, this is just difference of opinion. I don't think one way is more right than the other.

I'm glad games like Dirt Rally exist for people like you, but people do want to be the best racer in the world and have 300 cars in their garage. It's escapist fantasy. This is why GT1 blew up in 1997. And there are also online modes for people who want to scratch out 5th place finishes. Sure enough people do take Forza online very seriously. So yea, this is just difference of opinion. I don't think one way is more right than the other.

Exactly what I wanted to say.

DD

Haha! Let's discuss how many Skylines we going to see. My prediction: 4.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. :p

I agree with you, mate. And I don't think that my opinion is worth more than those of anyone else. But lets face a fact: many racing games aren't designed for people that enjoy that kind of stuff. They might buy it because it looks and sounds nice on the trailers, for example, but they might not buy it again next time. That's not a loyal base, and since arcade racers are struggling, I believe something must be done.

Yiazmat

Haha! Let's discuss how many Skylines we going to see. My prediction: 4.

I feel like there's not enough premium Skylines tho. We still need the R30 Tomica and the R32 JTCC at the very least.

The real problem now are the GT-R's. Kaz is not going to resist the urge to add more to the collection.

rGwoEKa.jpg

diffusionx

Gold Member
I agree with you, mate. And I don't think that my opinion is worth more than those of anyone else. But lets face a fact: many racing games aren't designed for people that enjoy that kind of stuff. They might buy it because it looks and sounds nice on the trailers, for example, but they might not buy it again next time. That's not a loyal base, and since arcade racers are struggling, I believe something must be done.

The way arcade racers have struggled is really puzzling to me. I mean, NFS for years was one of the top selling franchises in the world. Now nobody cares. If a first party isn't pushing it, it might as well not exist. But sim games have found an audience.

It's like people who enjoyed arcade racers just decided they like FPS games more. I wonder what publishers can do to bring them back.

DD

yup, we need proper late 80's / early 90's DTM

Shit, now I want to get home and play this. ಥ_ಥ

The way arcade racers have struggled is really puzzling to me. I mean, NFS for years was one of the top selling franchises in the world. Now nobody cares. If a first party isn't pushing it, it might as well not exist. But sim games have found an audience.

It's like people who enjoyed arcade racers just decided they like FPS games more. I wonder what publishers can do to bring them back.
THIS!

And since CoD is far from, let's say, Arma, and it sell much much more, sometimes it feels that the simplicity (not in a good way, in my opinion [edit: I don't think that simplicity is something necessarily bad]) in some racing games is (in some ways) intended to try to emulate in a racing game what CoD is for the shooters. That's the feeling I have with some games, sometimes.

As far as GTR's go, Kaz was asked about why the series has so many of them after GT5's release. He said that if you were into cars in the 80's and 90's in Japan you'd always have discussions about which versions of a GTR was better. While they'd all look visually similar to one another, what was actually under the hood was quite a bit different. But he noted that as time went on those differences became less and less. He acknowledged that there were a lot in the series and that they'd dial it back in future releases.

I don't care about Porsche or this FIA online championship bollocks, I just want a proper reveal at this PSX with juicy details on the offline game, next gen course maker, and the first glimpse of the mountain.

GC was absolutely pathetic.

DD

I might need to fire up GT6 again and hit green hell with the Merc Evo II & Ruf BTR.

I've never played a GT in my life... ಥ_ಥ

I don't care about Porsche or this FIA online championship bollocks, I just want a proper reveal at this PSX with juicy details on the offline game, next gen course maker, and the first glimpse of the mountain.

GC was absolutely pathetic.
Same. :3

Since this is the current GT thread, I have a bone to pick with GT:

It's soooo fucking slow feeling. I think I've said this before but it has absolutely no sense of speed in its modern iterations. If I look at fancy replay footage with motion blur like that Lexus LFA .gif that GAF loves, it makes me really want to play GT6 again. I boot it up, play a few races, and it just feels so awful. The driving physics feel pretty good but it feels like I'm going absolutely nowhere, despite doing like 270mph down the Mulsanne in an R92CP.

I've been playing Gran Turismo 2 on a modded PSP lately and it has me absolutely hooked - despite being a PS1 game and looking awful now, it feels so much faster. FWD shitboxes are actually fun because it feels more like I'm throwing it around. It almost seems faster driving an old Clio in GT2 than it does driving an LMP in GT6. I think part of the feeling is down to the camera, if I go around a corner hard enough, I begin to see the side of the car in GT2. In GT4/5/6, the camera is just totally locked to the car with no sway at all. It feels less like I'm actually in a car in motion and more like I'm controlling the environment as it moves around a static car.

I dunno where I'm going with it, but I suppose I just really want PD to consider their sense of speed if they're going for this heavier motorsport focus. Pleeeease consider some in-game motion blur or a less rigid camera.

Yiazmat

GT Sport better have a decent rally mode to make up for what we got in GT6. They showed rally footage in the teaser so I'm hopeful.

And they better bring back the GT4 crowds.

6QtuBHI.gif

We know that hiring people to implement rules specifically for rally events (as well as GT and NASCAR). So whatever it is it should be a much more serious approach to it than anything they've done before.

velociraptor

I feel like there's not enough premium Skylines tho. We still need the R30 Tomica and the R32 JTCC at the very least.

The real problem now are the GT-R's. Kaz is not going to resist the urge to add more to the collection.

rGwoEKa.jpg

I don't mind different liveries or base models - the GTRs should really be grouped together.

hesido

GT Sport better have a decent rally mode to make up for what we got in GT6. They showed rally footage in the teaser so I'm hopeful.

And they better bring back the GT4 crowds.

6QtuBHI.gif

That looks mental. I think I skipped GT4 due to failing console, but this is incredible stuff.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The crowds at those rally races strike me as literally insane. They basically stand on the bends. Like wtf. It's a car going really fast and you stand there.

The crowds at those rally races strike me as literally insane. They basically stand on the bends. Like wtf. It's a car going really fast and you stand there.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the game or real life, but you might not want to look at any footage of Group B rally lol.

Those gifs only shows that something went horribly wrong after GT4.

I know some don't like blaming the PS3 for what happened, but it is a big part of it. The original Vision GT trailer showed that they wanted to continue in that direction with giving the game atmosphere through stuff like crowds or pitcrews

https://youtu.be/JUVjg3aW1XQ?t=73

I remember they had to remove flags and people from some tracks to improve the framerate. The PS3 was just a cause of a lot of unnecessary development issues.

On a sidenote, does anyone have the Vision GT trailer from TGS where the cockpit view was first teased? I can't find it anywhere. I remember that I believe Ruliweb was the only one that posted it. There was never an official direct feed video released for it as far as I know.

chepu

Those gifs only shows that something went horribly wrong after GT4.

I think everything went horribly wrong after GT2. Car sounds got worse (totally vaccuum like) camera got effed up in GT4 (completely fixed to the car) We lost racing modification and used cars came back in GT4 after they were out of GT3.

the thing with gran turismo is... its just a few details away from being THE perfect game. Madly great physics, excellent graphics and attention to detail, beautiful tracks. oh well, heres hoping they fix it for GT Sport.

Top Bottom