• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Hux1ey

Banned
It's like no one in PD has ever seen a roof cam or bonnet cam or bumper cam or chase came in any other game or even real life. I bet there won't be a change, we are stuck with that crap.

It's funny because they could go look back at GT3 for an almost perfect chase cam, whay the hell happened.

Although Nurburgring is my home-turf (literally), I hope Hockenheim GP track makes it into the game at some point. Excellent track for online races, especially if PD manages to implement appropriate penalties for leaving the track / cutting turn 1.

Dragnet

Has anyone got any tips for accelarating off the start grid quicker? There's always one or two dudes that immediately jump half the pack, what wizardry is this?!

danowat

Banned
Has anyone got any tips for accelarating off the start grid quicker? There's always one or two dudes that immediately jump half the pack, what wizardry is this?!

Which car are they, and you?, using, drive configuration (i.e. AWD) is the biggest factor, also, TCS has a big affect.

The Lancer is pretty much unbeatable off the line in n300 class.

JamboGT

I always do some practice starts and work out what gearing works best, or what gear to launch in even...

The Lancer was what taught me this, I had worked on gearing for lap time then came to the race and bogged down, from then on it has been geared to get me some slip off the start. The Corvette C7 Group 3 is launched in 3rd with my current setup. I have been running no TC the whole time so not sure what its like on the starts.

Lordani66

Banned
Yikes (at the quality of that video)

There's absolutely nothing in that video that would alter my opinion.

If I have time tonight I'll do an image beside image gameplay comparison of Brands Hatch..so at least it's a sim for sim. Horizon 3 during gameplay on PC would be an unfair comparison.

I'm Back* All shots are gameplay. Look at these at full res.

Gran Turismo: Sport
3ddgranturismosportclxdy4m.png

Forza 6
forzamotorsport6_apexw8usd.png

For those that need help seeing clarity and textures/detail during gameplay...

Both Images Forza (left) / GT:S Right
fgt02hps1c.png

fgt018vszc.png

Like I said, at best on par..and even missing things like grass detail or a defined fence for example...not to mention a very blurry image. HOWEVER, it's a beta, and it could improve...but my opinion stands on the beta. Note: FM6 even has the glinting sun off the back of the car.

Whatever, I came back and posted like for like (as close as I can get .pngs) above after you made the above post. Detail and clarity isn't something you can argue...if you don't see it, then I can't help you :)

Hopefully you come back and scroll up to see me doing what I said I would.

I heard NeoGAF is supposed to be some kind of elite, not 15 year old kids with their parents' email accounts. This post actually made me create a account here just to say this:

Kek. Comparing still shots from photo mode in Forza, which is known to make the image crisp clear to real gameplay shots with movement in GT. Genius.

Amandeep

Downloaded this off my friends psn account and to my surprise it actually works. Though I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually race, I can only seem to do the daily race qualifying trial

NHale

Sooo.... When is this coming out ? :)

From the beta feedback I've seen they might need a bit of time to fix the problems that were found in the beta, so I wouldn't bet for anything before September. If I had to bet this is going to be a early October or late November release.

The SR system needs to be heavily tweaked from what I've seen in some videos. Guys cut entire chicanes in that fantasy tracks with 4 tyres outside the white lines and they still get SR up for that sector? Also cars going too fast in corners to activate the ghosting in D-level classes and still get SR up for that sector? The game should enable ghosting for lower ranked SR guys, but if you force the ghosting you should be penalized for it, they are basically getting a free pass while maintaining the ability to rank up where they will wreck so many races in higher SR races because they are going to behave the same. As it stands the SR system will create mayhem at the first level where ghosting is gone instead of the lower level of the game where it would be expected to be a mess. It doesn't make sense as it stands right now. Allow ghosting but your SR goes down if you force a ghosting situation to happen.

danowat

Banned
Downloaded this off my friends psn account and to my surprise it actually works. Though I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually race, I can only seem to do the daily race qualifying trial

Races are at set times during the day, outside of those, you can only qualify.

From the beta feedback I've seen they might need a bit of time to fix the problems that were found in the beta, so I wouldn't bet for anything before September. If I had to bet this is going to be a early October or late November release.

The SR system needs to be heavily tweaked from what I've seen in some videos. Guys cut entire chicanes in that fantasy tracks with 4 tyres outside the white lines and they still get SR up for that sector? Wtf.

Contstant SR tweaks in the first year are going to be crucial. I am sure they have a vision of how it will play out, but like any ranking system, once the player base goes live, goes through big spikes and stabilizes, it will take adjusting. Not even a massive open beta will give them enough data to account for the clusterfuck the opening month or two will be in the lower classes. There are a ton of PS4s out there and any GT thrown on the shelves will sell gang busters, even if this title was aimed at more serious online racing. People see Gran Turismo and will buy.

As for the Dragontrail chicanes, they absolutely need to remove that gap between the main curbs and the barriers. Just have the curbs right up against the barriers. It would solve the track limits issue and make it a more high risk high reward part of the track,

No, I'm sure someone at Sony is running the numbers and spying at Project CARS and Forza 7, they will force Polyphony to be out before those other two titles. Super early September is the absolute latest GTS can get away with or they will lose sales.

I don't know how many sales, but game critics and more hardcore motorsport fans seem to like Project CARS quite a bit, for car lovers Forza has way more cars on offer, reviewed better in the last years and will surely look great on Scorpio. Someone at Sony is going to kick PD's butt to release GTS before those titles.

danowat

Banned
No, I'm sure someone at Sony is running the numbers and spying at Project CARS and Forza 7, they will force Polyphony to be out before those other two titles. Super early September is the absolute latest GTS can get away with or they will lose sales.

I don't know how many sales, but game critics and more hardcore motorsport fans seem to like Project CARS quite a bit, for car lovers Forza has way more cars on offer, reviewed better in the last years and will surely look great on Scorpio. Someone at Sony is going to kick PD's butt to release GTS before those titles.

Not sure I agree, Sony has the marketshare in terms of console numbers to not worry about losing sales to Forza, they also have the franchise history to go up against PCars.

I think the numbers just are "how many sales do we gain from polishing GTS up more, when the Beta shows that it's already running well and without major bugs" and "how many sales do we lose by launching side-by-side with pCARS2 and Forza 7"

Don't forget that Forza 7 will be out on PC too and that there are original PS4 owners, who might have waited with a Pro-purchase for a direct comparison with Scorpio.

And I didn't say that GTS needs to fear pCARS2 more than pCARS2 needs to fear GTS, but either way both will be hurt to some degree if they launch very close to another.

What kind of alternate reality is this? PCars was trashed online, so many videos on youtube saying how disappointed they were, especially with the console release. Reviews will have little affect unless its outstanding in any way. Forza isn't even on PS4, you know the console with 50 million+ users.

You really think someone at Sony is kicking PD along lol I doubt Sony have ever forced PD to release a game, even in tough situations such as during the PS3 era. The very studio was founded by them telling Kaz to do what he wants.

dragn

anyone wanna try this with me ? :< (i dont have beta)

Whaaaaaat, that works?? I'm guessing you don't need to set their account as primary?

Man I would love to have someone to try it with *winkwink*

shandy706

I heard NeoGAF is supposed to be some kind of elite, not 15 year old kids with their parents' email accounts. This post actually made me create a account here just to say this:

Kek. Comparing still shots from photo mode in Forza, which is known to make the image crisp clear to real gameplay shots with movement in GT. Genius.

This might be a great "first post", if it weren't for the fact that the shot is gameplay with the HUD off running at 4k downsampled. There's a reason no one else said that ;).

Another poster, who knows I also play racers on a PC, even mentioned my shots are from PC.

Welcome to the boards, I recommend getting to know posters before trying to critique them though. I don't BS shots.

On topic,

Still pissed I never got in the darn beta.

Gestault

Just saw it, wasn't sure if other people picked up on it too.

I love this shot:

18121556_10155572059102668_3870654131088854729_o.jpg

Edit: It looks good because it's an actual photograph. I take back being impressed.

Just saw it, wasn't sure if other people picked up on it too.

I love this shot:

the car is lower on one side, because of g-forces etc. in that shot, so that works even in Scapes.

Let's say it's 0.8g lateral acceleration programmed into that Scape scene and now I switch to an older car with soft springs and lots of body roll, which could barely handle 0.8g. Will that look stupid then?
Must be something somewhat complex going on here to prevent that, like actually calculating how the Ai would take that corner and taking the telemetry from the moment of that shot. Cool stuff.

cooldawn

About sums up all but the cockpit view, chase cam looks like the camera is a few miles behind and a few hundred feet above, bonnet and roof cam is the same, bumper cam has 10 foot of invisible wall in front and is also too damn high. It's like no one in PD has ever seen a roof cam or bonnet cam or bumper cam or chase came in any other game or even real life. I bet there won't be a change, we are stuck with that crap.
I like roof-cam somewhat...but I guess that's just me making the most of what I've got to play with. Some cars feel like bonnet cam (long-nosed Mercedes or GT-R's, for example) but they need to get a proper bonnet angle in there now.

Oh my...those rainbow lights. It's like DriveClub all over again!

Lordani66

Banned
This might be a great "first post", if it weren't for the fact that the shot is gameplay with the HUD off running at 4k downsampled. There's a reason no one else said that ;).

Another poster, who knows I also play racers on a PC, even mentioned my shots are from PC.

Welcome to the boards, I recommend getting to know posters before trying to critique them though. I don't BS shots.

On topic,

Still pissed I never got in the darn beta.

Then I didn't see the reason to take off the HUD, or at least take it off for both games. Plus comparing 1080p to 4x1080p is maybe even dumber than gameplay vs photo mode.

And for some reason I still think it's a shot from the photo mode. NO WAY that even in 4K there would be no blur on the ground in a still shot from a gameplay...

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I found in GT5 best way to take off was in second (in powerfull cars) 1st gear spins to much if your not good at controling throttle

Tyl3n0L85

Neo Member
Man the lighting is phenomenal in GTS. Photomode looks real so are the replays.

However as soon as I see a gameplay video I find it extremely disappointing. It just feels lifeless and sterile.

What's up with the car sounds? It honestly still sounds like a vacuum cleaner tbh. Also it still looks like you're driving a bumpercar. the collision and damage looks completely outdated .

I'm not bashing, I really think there's a huge gap of quality between replay/gameplay and it really shows.

l2ounD

Those gifs!
They did a good job trying to match that section with the trees and even guardrail patches! Awesome :D

shandy706

Then I didn't see the reason to take off the HUD, or at least take it off for both games. Plus comparing 1080p to 4x1080p is maybe even dumber than gameplay vs photo mode.

And for some reason I still think it's a shot from the photo mode. NO WAY that even in 4K there would be no blur on the ground in a still shot from a gameplay...

I have a PS4, Xbox One, and PC that I play at 4k on..so I'm going to compare based on what I actually play.

The car wasn't moving very fast 15-30mph...so you're correct about blur not being very noticible. I made another post that included motion blur. It looks so clean because I'm also running two forms of AA on top of each other too &#128514;.

Don't worry, I don't expect the IQ from my PC on my PS4. I'm going to compare it though...sort of hard to avoid when you play across a lot of hardware. Games like UC4, The Order, and H:ZD have done incredible things IQ wise though.

l2ounD

Since someone brought this up, I thought this was funny.

For those that need help seeing clarity and textures/detail during gameplay...

Both Images Forza (left) / GT:S Right
fgt02hps1c.png

fgt018vszc.png

Like I said, at best on par..and even missing things like grass detail or a defined fence for example...not to mention a very blurry image. HOWEVER, it's a beta, and it could improve...but my opinion stands on the beta. Note: FM6 even has the glinting sun off the back of the car.

So were those cropped to show better detail, a sharper image and a cool fence?.. but if you just look down further you get this.. I dunno I'd argue one is more detailed and has more variation if you're cherry picking.

And I thought the car was looking pretty sweet, love the AA solution, but then you post another img of it with different lighting.. Whats up with that interior, wheres the detail? Is it an lod thing?

But the different angle in chase cam is neat, didnt know you can do that.

Detail and clarity isn't something you can argue...if you don't see it, then I can't help you :)

Dude at least be objective in your critiquing, there is plenty to go around for all games.

Top Bottom