• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport delayed to 2017

I wouldn't want her in charge of delivering a triple-A racing game on time and on spec though. She didn't have a fucking clue how to manage resources properly and was always too interested in jetting around the world having tea parties.

Priceless.

Gran Turismo Sport | OT | On Her Majesty's Delayed Service

Gestault

I wasn't going to get this game anyway but this just makes me annoyed we'll have to wait longer for GT7.

Those of us considering grabbing a launch-window PSVR are pretty bummed too.

I'm having trouble understanding how the delay effects you if you weren't going to get it anyway.

GlamFM

Banned
Sure is, but I guess I'm just too dense......;)

They are not fixing GT sport because it's in a bad state. Assetto Corsa is a released game, that's in a bad state. Many people have played GTS, there was a tournament and many enjoyed the improved physics. People, mostly forum-goers complained about the graphics more than anything, but that has improved a million fold, just mere days and weeks after that event.

Some people really have no idea how game development works, they want to see games early but fail to realize that everytime you do it's work in progress, especially for a game like GT which does most of it's graphics and framerate polish in the end. I'd rather a game not have any of the polish features like good shadows, good af or filtering, aa at an early reveal than to be missing many of these features when it releases with awful tearing and framerate to boot when it hits the store shelves.

At the very least, if your game looks phenomenal we can understand why it may drop frames, but if you have a bland looking racer that's dropping frames everywhere whilst having fullscreen tearing up the wazoo, then it's no excuse. I'm pretty sure GTS is being delayed for more content, more features and extra polish, not because what the guys played of it so far was unplayable or some 15fps slideshow. It's as if people put GTS in the same bracket as Ark Survival on the XB1 in it's initial phase or even now for crying out loud.......'Not in a good state" is such a disingenuous statement to make, it's baffling tbh.

Played it two weeks ago - it was in a bad state.

Caddle

It doesn't matter if you prefer Forza to gt, both game can't teach you how to drive. Someone who has never driven a car can't play both games then get behind the wheel and drive.

GHG

Did anyone not see this coming though?

Kaz has been on a massive jolly for pretty much the last decade. He's loving life at the expense of the franchise. Living the dream while all we can do is cuss him on internet forums. Don't blame him to be honest.

Tayaya

The Gran Turismo defense force never ceases to amaze me. The series has been sub par for 10 years now and Polyphony / Sony clearly mishandle the development of the game. If it didn't still sell in huge numbers, changes would have been made long ago.

While I appreciate Kaz's motivation to release a standout product from the competition, it's a waste of time when he / they don't even get the fundamentals right. I cut them some slack with the last couple of games due to the PS3 being shit, but there are no excuses now.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I can say that I put GT6 in for the first time and after letting it go through the motions of patching itself for a good hour the wait was absolutely worth it. I'd been playing Forza 6 since it came out and while it's an excellent racer, is gorgeous, and is a lot of fun, I immediately enjoyed the driving itself in GT a lot more.

Sure the visuals are a little last-gen now, but the lighting still holds up nicely and the the framerate is solid, so that's good enough for what I wanted in a racing game last night. The physics and handling are where it's at and GT strikes me as a far better simulator than Forza does. Forza's great at making anyone feel like a race car driver but you can make a lot of very ham-fisted moves even with all assists off and still be successful. With GT I felt a lot more connected to what the car was doing and had to approach corners the same way I would on an actual track (and yes I have track experience to back that up). It took a lot of adjustment to get back into the feel of GT, especially since I was using a rather unforgiving car (Huayra), but it was worth it just to feel the back end step out as the boost came up and have to correct for that again. The individual car to car handling is superb in GT, and something I was missing in Forza where cars within one class do all feel very similar to one another. I do love Forza for what it is but honestly the racing gets very boring after a while and I have a hard time not winning.

I'm looking forward to GT sport and to finally getting a proper racing game on the PS4 that isn't Project CARS (I am skipping AC because of the quality of the port), but I am happy I still have GT6 because even if it looks a little dated it really is one of the best console racers there is. Gonna race online tonight with some of my old buddies that recently uncovered their copies again, too!

I have a hard time figuring out what to say in the misdt of a strong defense force and a bunch of clueless drive by posts.

I´ll say that if you´ve been following the series like i did for almost 20 years, it´s impossible to pretend like this isn´t a problem.

They still do some things better than anyone, but it´s becoming less and less of a thing to have racing fans playing only on a console.

You can say that we´ve always had sims on PC, but the landscape has changed a lot over these last ten years. There´s no reason for a racing fan to not have a PC these days. Yes, you can have a PS4 and a PC, or an Xbox and a PC, but console only seems to be a horrible choice.

I say this because i look at my racing friends and these delays are becoming more irrelevant. I remember how long it took for us to get GT5 and the delays were like a catastrophe. Now it´s like, "GTSport delayed, no ETA", and people are like "OK".

The last fresh thing we had in the series was GT5, and that was 2010. Since then i´ve seem people playing different types of PC sims to the point where GT become something of "i´ll play it when it comes out, but i don´t really care".

When GTSport releases in december of 2017 it will mark seven years since the last significant game in the series. And before the defense force comes raging, ok, they haven´t said a date so it´s not december, but it´s always december. GT2, GT4, GTHD demo, GT5 Prologue, GT5, GT6, it´s always december so don´t waste your time thinking of something different.

Four years after the PS4 has been released, this is huge, we never had to wait this long, even GT1 came out in 97 and the PS1 was on the market from 94 onward. Then on PS2 it was only a year gap. On PS3 we had GTHD on the same year and them Prologue (best online fun due to quick match) on the following year.

Now we will have to wait FOUR years into the PS4 cycle. How can you not say that this is a bad thing? And what if they decide to release the next PS on 2018 or 2019? It is a huge mess up because if they started working on PS4 right after GT5 none of this would happened.

By starting to work on next gen in mid 2014, and while still using demanding and punishing methods to create assets they almost guaranteed that GTSport would be released wayyyyyy to late on the PS4 lifecycle.

PC tech has evolved in a way in which they can´t play the graphics card anymore, they don´t have the hundreds of cars card anymore because other sims are trying to do the same, they can´t claim most realistic ever because it´s a tough crowd and once again a bunch of PC sims have surpassed, so... it´s really difficult to see the series getting back to what once was.

They have a strong presence with FIA, auto shows and stuff, but that´s because of previous success, it´s not because of GT6 or GT5.

I wouldn´t like to pick a side here, but it´s impossible not to be sad with how things have progressed from 2005 to this day.

Is GT Academy 2016 dead now? Sony said other regions would start their qualifying round with GT Sport's release.

standalone GT Academy demo like before?

Servbot24

Banned
Did anyone not see this coming though?

Kaz has been on a massive jolly for pretty much the last decade. He's loving life at the expense of the franchise. Living the dream while all we can do is cuss him on internet forums. Don't blame him to be honest.

Loving life is what makes GT awesome though, it really feels like a passion project rather than "here is a standard racing game with standard racing features".

1er tigre

Some people really have no idea how game development works, they want to see games early but fail to realize that everytime you do it's work in progress, especially for a game like GT which does most of it's graphics and framerate polish in the end. I'd rather a game not have any of the polish features like good shadows, good af or filtering, aa at an early reveal than to be missing many of these features when it releases with awful tearing and framerate to boot when it hits the store shelves.
Yeah, sure. GT5 and GT6 were rock solid 60fps with no tearing at launch...oh wait ! They're not, even years after release.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I can say that I put GT6 in for the first time and after letting it go through the motions of patching itself for a good hour the wait was absolutely worth it. I'd been playing Forza 6 since it came out and while it's an excellent racer, is gorgeous, and is a lot of fun, I immediately enjoyed the driving itself in GT a lot more.

Sure the visuals are a little last-gen now, but the lighting still holds up nicely and the the framerate is solid, so that's good enough for what I wanted in a racing game last night. The physics and handling are where it's at and GT strikes me as a far better simulator than Forza does. Forza's great at making anyone feel like a race car driver but you can make a lot of very ham-fisted moves even with all assists off and still be successful. With GT I felt a lot more connected to what the car was doing and had to approach corners the same way I would on an actual track (and yes I have track experience to back that up). It took a lot of adjustment to get back into the feel of GT, especially since I was using a rather unforgiving car (Huayra), but it was worth it just to feel the back end step out as the boost came up and have to correct for that again. The individual car to car handling is superb in GT, and something I was missing in Forza where cars within one class do all feel very similar to one another. I do love Forza for what it is but honestly the racing gets very boring after a while and I have a hard time not winning.

I'm looking forward to GT sport and to finally getting a proper racing game on the PS4 that isn't Project CARS (I am skipping AC because of the quality of the port), but I am happy I still have GT6 because even if it looks a little dated it really is one of the best console racers there is. Gonna race online tonight with some of my old buddies that recently uncovered their copies again, too!

This pretty much mimics my opinion. I wish I liked Forza more, but I just can't enjoy the driving itself, which is obviously a lot more important than a livery editor or whatever.

I have a hard time figuring out what to say in the misdt of a strong defense force and a bunch of clueless drive by posts.

I´ll say that if you´ve been following the series like i did for almost 20 years, it´s impossible to pretend like this isn´t a problem.

They still do some things better than anyone, but it´s becoming less and less of a thing to have racing fans playing only on a console.

You can say that we´ve always had sims on PC, but the landscape has changed a lot over these last ten years. There´s no reason for a racing fan to not have a PC these days. Yes, you can have a PS4 and a PC, or an Xbox and a PC, but console only seems to be a horrible choice.

I say this because i look at my racing friends and these delays are becoming more irrelevant. I remember how long it took for us to get GT5 and the delays were like a catastrophe. Now it´s like, "GTSport delayed, no ETA", and people are like "OK".

The last fresh thing we had in the series was GT5, and that was 2010. Since then i´ve seem people playing different types of PC sims to the point where GT become something of "i´ll play it when it comes out, but i don´t really care".

When GTSport releases in december of 2017 it will mark seven years since the last significant game in the series. And before the defense force comes raging, ok, they haven´t said a date so it´s not december, but it´s always december. GT2, GT4, GTHD demo, GT5 Prologue, GT5, GT6, it´s always december so don´t waste your time thinking of something different.

Four years after the PS4 has been released, this is huge, we never had to wait this long, even GT1 came out in 97 and the PS1 was on the market from 94 onward. Then on PS2 it was only a year gap. On PS3 we had GTHD on the same year and them Prologue (best online fun due to quick match) on the following year.

Now we will have to wait FOUR years into the PS4 cycle. How can you not say that this is a bad thing? And what if they decide to release the next PS on 2018 or 2019? It is a huge mess up because if they started working on PS4 right after GT5 none of this would happened.

By starting to work on next gen in mid 2014, and while still using demanding and punishing methods to create assets they almost guaranteed that GTSport would be released wayyyyyy to late on the PS4 lifecycle.

PC tech has evolved in a way in which they can´t play the graphics card anymore, they don´t have the hundreds of cars card anymore because other sims are trying to do the same, they can´t claim most realistic ever because it´s a tough crowd and once again a bunch of PC sims have surpassed, so... it´s really difficult to see the series getting back to what once was.

They have a strong presence with FIA, auto shows and stuff, but that´s because of previous success, it´s not because of GT6 or GT5.

I wouldn´t like to pick a side here, but it´s impossible not to be sad with how things have progressed from 2005 to this day.

Great post and agree. and now that Forza series has come to PC too PC is easily the best format for racing games, especially sims.

why does there have to be some side to be on though? Is it so hard to comprehend there's just an audience that doesn't care about any of this, follow the series a bit more casually, and will happily buy it whenever it releases?

I'd say the biggest issue is SP content, because I think a large number of users are accustomed to it, hopefully they are addressing it.

There's just a bunch of ps4 only gamers guys, if the next GT is good, they'll buy it. Life goes on, doesn't really matter how long it takes to come out. You are making assumptions on a bunch of things with this delay.

kinda fed up of all these PlayStation "updates" tbh

Uncharted 4 "update"

PS Plus "update"

Gran Turismo Sport "update"

just give us more info in the tweet thanks

Lol I have to agree, with Sony it's either announce a game years before release, delay a game, update after update with everything

fizzwizz

Banned
lol, nah.

Yes.

Ian Bell says it's no longer exclusive, their cars are also coming to Assetto Corsa and PCars.
Assetto Corsa is getting them The first 8 Porsches this month and without paying EA for the license. I think the deal is that they are a simulator and not a game. They will also make the simulator for the Porsche museum and some driver training simulators for Porsche.
Ian Bell hasn't even Lamorghinis in his game, Ferraris neither... and he talks... a lot.

The rumor about the EA Porsche exclusivity coming to an end next year gets renewed year after year. Last year I was sure it would end this year because Forza took out the RUFs and announced Porsche DLC coming months before FM6 released... Then they came in April, not early January, and Turn 10 paid EA for them, again.

Does somebody know the source of this years rumor that Porsche exclusivity will end? I think, I've heard this even before Ian Bell's back-poking at Kunos' Porsche deal.

AxeMan

While I agree with the spirit of this comment I don't actually agree with how it's phrased.
If someone is serious about SIM racing then a PC is the best way to go.

Though if you're only slight interested, probably even moderately interested, in SIM racing then I can see someone sticking with a console if they're already invested in that space.

I'd say if someone is moderately interested in SIM racing and only using a console then they want to ramp it up a bit then they'll go PC.

pCARS 2 has Ferrari and Lamborghini if that means anything.
Is that confirmed? Ferrari... Nice. ...and Aston Martin already. Those are really picky. We'll see... I still think he said that so fast directly after Kunos came out with the Porsche news, it seemed a lot like "if they can get Porsches, we can too, I'll react right now without having looked behnind the workings of their deal"

He wasn't going to get GT Sport and was waiting for a proper GT7. The fact that development didn't go as planned and this is now going to take longer to come out means the proper GT7 is probably even further out now.

I was under the impression GT Sport was GT7.

farisr

I'm not. And they wouldn't have mixed messaging if it was supposed to be either. As long as they're not outright saying this is GT7, I'll consider this an offshoot. I believe the reasoning for the mixed messaging is because they want people to get the impression this is a full fledged GT title when it's not nearly as full fledged. It's a Prologue+ as far as I'm concerned. If THIS is supposed to be GT7, and the content offered in the final game is along the lines of what PD has shown us so far, then they screwed up big time imo.

dracula_x

yes.

“GT SPORT is a regular title of the GT Series. The gaming contents is so ample that you can consider it as ”Gran Turismo 7“. It is titled ” GT Sport“ because the “Sport Mode” of the game is important. If I have to change a statement,maybe “Gran Turismo 7 Sport” is more correct name.”

“For me, Gran Turismo Sport is Gran Turismo 7. Gran Turismo Sport is something that marks the beginning of a new generation or era. When you consider Gran Turismo 1-6 as the first era, GT Sport marks a new generation moving forward.”

→ https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-could-have-been-called-gt7-sport/

why does there have to be some side to be on though? Is it so hard to comprehend there's just an audience that doesn't care about any of this, follow the series a bit more casually, and will happily buy it whenever it releases?

I'd say the biggest issue is SP content, because I think a large number of users are accustomed to it, hopefully they are addressing it.

There's just a bunch of ps4 only gamers guys, if the next GT is good, they'll buy it. Life goes on, doesn't really matter how long it takes to come out. You are making assumptions on a bunch of things with this delay.

Stop being reasonable.

Assetto Corsa is getting them The first 8 Porsches this month and without paying EA for the license. I think the deal is that they are a simulator and not a game. They will also make the simulator for the Porsche museum and some driver training simulators for Porsche.
Ian Bell hasn't even Lamorghinis in his game, Ferraris neither... and he talks... a lot.

The rumor about the EA Porsche exclusivity coming to an end next year gets renewed year after year. Last year I was sure it would end this year because Forza took out the RUFs and announced Porsche DLC coming months before FM6 released... Then they came in April, not early January, and Turn 10 paid EA for them, again.

Quoted for truth, every year

farisr

Again they're being a bit roundabout and of course want copies of this game to sell at full price rather than it be considered anything less than a regular title.

“GT SPORT is a regular title of the GT Series. The gaming contents is so ample that you can consider it as ”Gran Turismo 7“.
Well we already know the SP isn't ample if they go through with what they showed off in those slides. And of course they're gonna talk up about how much content is being offered in the game like it's comparable to a full fledged title. They want to sell copies.
It is titled ” GT Sport“ because the “Sport Mode” of the game is important. If I have to change a statement,maybe “Gran Turismo 7 Sport” is more correct name.”
So, not a proper GT7. Got it. Before you go "GT7 is in the title" there's this game called GT5 Prologue, which is not GT5 either.

This just comes off as PR talk honestly.

There's too much missing for me to consider this a GT7. The traditional fleshed out GT career which is the biggest offender, then there's the lack of dynamic time of day and dynamic weather that GT5 & GT6 featured.

And it's really weird how we have no mention or shown off performance upgrades/parts. Only visual customization. Especially when they've already gone deep into explaining what modes and features to expect.

Anyways, believe what you want. For me, if this is what the future of GT is from now on, then GT series ended at 6 for me.

Quoted for truth, every year

This year is different for definite though. Two franchises that have Porsche 100% confirmed, one of which (AC) is practically an indie game considering the team size/assumed budget. Forza's current status on Porsche is "stay tuned" but we know they're not in at launch because the final list doesn't include them.

But yeah, because of AC and pCARS, things are definitely different. This year will be the one, I think.

Celcius

°Temp. member
To me GT games are still the best by far regarding playability and feel. However, as successful as the series is I just don't see why they can't hire more people to get them done faster.

Yup. And nothing on the official final car list matches it. RUF is absent, so if you put two and two together another Porsche pack seems likely.

But again, like I said, the climate is different for Porsche licencing this year.

I also think even if EA lost the exclusivity T10 might continue to do the Porsche pack thing, it's easy money and we're suckers.

Top Bottom