• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - E3 2017 trailer

Fog was shown with the pre-race pace car footage in the trailer, but I haven't seen standard gameplay footage. The only "clue" we have for rain is the tyre type.

Did you get to play it on the show floor? (not meant as a snippy retort, actual question)

Yes, I played all the big three: Gt Sports, Forza 7 and Project Cars 2

Gestault

Yes, I played all the big three: Gt Sports, Forza 7 and Project Cars 2

Hell yeah. I have tempered hopes for Project Cars 2, but still excited for this whole round of racers. I got a replacement AC adapter for my Driving Force GT in anticipation, because I decided not to modify the brake on my G920 (which means if a game doesn't have the right options, it's not really useful).

This year is awesome.

GenericUser

Sadly in my opinion Gt Sports was The worst racing game at E3 2017
My fear is, that this will turn out as the sad truth. It seems that PD is making the same mistakes again, delivering a pretty looking game in which the key components of a good racing Sim (physics, weather, night day, good engine sound and so on) are still lacking behind the competitiors. I'd love to be wrong.

Gestault

I don't believe any of these games will affect GTS sales... Forza is too niche and pCARs didn't put the world on fire too.

In my view GTS has no competition at all.

I think sales-wise (in terms of other games taking away sales), that's a fair bet. Releasing as an exclusive on the one platform has locked in a dedicated buying audience, and the GT name still matters. I do think the impact of the first current-gen Gran Turismo title will be lessened with two contemporary titles with heavier content heading it off.

If the original plan for last year's release had worked out, the timing would have been more disruptive (in a good way).

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Perhaps they will release it at that time bundled with PS4 Pro to capture dem Holiday sales. (Along with any other new bundles).

xrnzaaas

GT do fine with Nov/Dec releases even when match others games.

I don't believe any of these games will affect GTS sales... Forza is too niche and pCARs didn't put the world on fire too.

They will affect them if GTS is the last one to get a release, but I don't think it'll be a big difference to a scenario where GTS would be the only big racing game with a scheduled release for this fall. Some people just won't wait and they may decide to hold on until they're done with the game they've purchased before GTS or until their budget allows them to buy another full priced game.

Apex

GT do fine with Nov/Dec releases even when match others games.

Yep, in fact a close release date it would affect more negatively to those other games than to GT itself. Althought I don't think it will be very significant.

Gamescon, 22 august. Tokyo Game Show 21 september. There will be new features/content announcements at each one, E3 has been just the starter. We will see how is perceived GTS after them.

I think the multiplayer focus is going to hamper GT. Sure it'll sell by the boatload, but I wonder how quickly the average player will stop playing.

My fear is, that this will turn out as the sad truth. It seems that PD is making the same mistakes again, delivering a pretty looking game in which the key components of a good racing Sim (physics, weather, night day, good engine sound and so on) are still lacking behind the competitiors. I'd love to be wrong.
You are already wrong, go read the beta impressions.

Putty

Yes, you are wrong 8)

farisr

This is a horrible comparison because A) SFV's characters stories are basically what an Arcade most used to consist of for more games. All they had to do was split those cutscenes up and have you fight through the cast, that's an Arcade mode.
It's not a horrible comparison, seeing as much like SFV, PD seemingly has most of the elements needed for a traditional campaign there in the game already and it'd be a matter of shifting things around/restructuring some things.

I forgot to add in that post though, the speculations about GT Sport are factually worse than the SFV situation due to Capcom not going into detail what character stories were going to be like, they're not up in the air here. PD has been up front about what the campaign in GT Sport is.

They have, time and time again, (before the delay and after the delay) laid out the number of total missions and the categories of missions, and what each category means for the campaign. And based off those descriptions and their statements about the campaign, and new advertising stuff as well, it's clear that GT Sport does not feature a traditional offline GT campaign/career at all.

The delay has resulted in the number of overall missions increasing, but the funny thing is, it's the beginner level and racing etiquette stuff that increased, whereas the number of missions in the other two categories have actually decreased.

At this point in time, it is absolutely wrong for someone to claim that the SP in this game is going to be as full-fledged as the other GT games just based off the info that we've been given so far.

The only thing I'm assuming at this point is about performance upgrades. They haven't shown them at all, and with a shift to online competitive multiplayer, and barebones campaign (relative to past GT games), it would make sense for them to be out as well, but yeah that is still an assumption rather than something outright confirmed or said by them.
According to Kaz, this is not the case
Well we already know that's BS due to no dynamic ToD & weather.

And if his logic is:

Dyanmic ToD = different time conditions.
You can select different time conditions at the start of the race, hence it's not a feature that's been cut.

Dynamic weather = different weather conditions.
You can select different weather conditions at the start of the race, hence it's not a feature that's been cut.

Just having something called "campaign" would qualify it being equivalent to what past GT games offered, no matter how lacking it is in comparison.

Now that's all said and done, things can change. I'm not saying that what we see now is a 100% what we'll get. For all we know, they decide to listen and make the appropriate changes. But them confirming the direction they're going in, in regards to campaign once again, especially with the release of the recent screenshots showing off the structure, and doubling down on the sport aspect and writing off the experience the past games provided with their recent advertising indicates that what we see is what we'll get. Going against what they said, and acting like the game will feature a full-fledged campaign rather than what at this point really amounts to glorified license tests to prepare you for online multiplayer should not be happening and is only results in other people getting misled and further disappointment in the future.

What is even offline career content in old GT titles? Races with specific kind of cars.

They would literally only need to provide an instant race option against AI opponents and they would have it covered.

Gestault

What is even offline career content in old GT titles? Races with specific kind of cars.

They would literally only need to provide an instant race option against AI opponents and they would have it covered.

There's some balance required (that caused some problems when it didn't work out in older games) where you let the player into races with what seems like a competetive car, but it's out-classed so much that even starting the race is a waste of time. You're right that they should have the staff to build out a set of streamlined race series, but it's not quite as simple as you describe, if there's a quality bar.

An example in the other direction is not balancing/accounting for all car stats in each class. GT PSP had a goof where the DMC DeLorean was "rated" wrong, so you could absolutely breeze through any single-player races with it.

If they're prioritizing for polish (as opposed to dumping in low-bar content), I'm totally onboard with that even if it means "less." I think a series of license tests that basically give tutorials on the feel for the difference classes, and even a handful of event races for each, that's not too bad. Make those licenses visible on the player's online "card," and give the option to limit entries based on those license certifications. For single-player and grid fills, I'm hoping the AI is improved from the past.

TLChvhd.gif

satriales

As fantastic as this looks, for me it all depends on whether there is a decent single player campaign. I've been a fan of the series since the first game on PS1 but I just don't have any interest in online racing.

Top Bottom