• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport for PS4: What We Know So Far

raven777

It's a substantial jump over GT6

GTS
4f5kts.png

GT6
qG8b.jpg

With that said, they did build a cross-gen engine starting with GT6 and this is running on it. But Uncharted 4 is running on cross-gen engine as well and God of War 3 is a heavily modified PS2 cross-gen engine.

Is that GT6 shot a promotion shot, or in-game shot someone took?

I hope that they can give us proper engine sounds.

In my opinion the only really major issue with GT games is the sound. If they can manage great sounds then this could be the full package

So annoying that you can't use the same wheel with Xbox and PlayStation, many people have both console and would like to play Forza and GT too but buying 2 wheels is kinda crazy...

As the article points out, they hired a former Forza audio lead to help with the sound. They also specifically mentioned audio as one of the things that would be improved dramatically during the conference.

Is that GT6 shot a promotion shot, or in-game shot someone took?

It's a photomode screen.

eFKac

Why the feck didn't Kaz just say all this when he was on stage instead of fumbling around with his translator?

Its simple "we are dropping the numbering system, this will be the platform we use for the lifecycle of the PS4, we have a partnership with the FiA so will be able to give you some fantastic cars/tracks, here's a trailer" *drop mic and walk off to appluase*

But no, all he did yesterday was just confuse the fuck out of everyone.

And who was it that had the inside scoop on this before and knew it was going to be called GT sport by the way?

This, he had the longest speech (that's ok he's earned it) but he said fucking nothing during that.
There are still a lot of questions that I don't know answers to, and I don't think like they should be any kind of mystery. PR I guess.

AtkO

It's a substantial jump over GT6

GTS
[...]

GT6
[...]

With that said, they did build a cross-gen engine starting with GT6 and this is running on it. But Uncharted 4 is running on cross-gen engine as well and God of War 3 is a heavily modified PS2 cross-gen engine.

As gorgeous as you would expect it on many fronts!

Day -4!

(sneaky edit because I'm still half asleep :'( )

danowat

Banned
So GT is stepping away from the road car / upgrade / credit / XP progression curve then?

Or is there going to be this style of gameplay in one of the modes?

Pachimari

I hope they will clear up if this is GT7 or another kind of Gran Turismo. If we are still getting the 1000 cars, go karts, rally and all that. And the track editor, GPS mapping etc.

So is Sport basically GT7 Prologue?

Sport is Gran Turismo 7 early access.

I think GT is going full "game as a service". Makes sense with the way PD kind of suck getting big games out but they are really good at supporting games once they are out.

Just got to know how much game is in GT Sport. By all means if its a smaller game in terms of content but that means all the PS2 stuff has been cut I am 100% fine with.

I hope they rethink the entire single player system. Maybe introducing different race classes and getting serious about rules is part of that. Have different race classes and career paths that all feel pretty different. Kind of like Project Cars.

televator

I wanna see 60 frames. I like that they're finally taking on a series long complaint about audio. I hope that's indicative of pretty much every aspect of the franchise for PD. I've had enough of eye bleeding graphics. I want real substantial progress.

I weep for my PS4's 500GB hard drive if this turns out to be a Destiny kind of thing and they're planning to keep adding to the game's file size for the entire generation.

Loudninja

People really think they all of this for a prologue release?
With more than 75 million cumulative sales (*) around the world, Gran Turismo has revolutionized the driving game genre.
The next evolutionary step in this history-making series will soon be coming to PlayStation®4.
Get ready to be taken to new unforeseen heights with “Gran Turismo SPORT.”

That Gran Turismo SPORT will feature highly evolved graphics and sound quality, not to mention a totally revamped physics engine,
should come as no surprise. The true beauty of Gran Turismo SPORT goes much deeper, as it will forever change
the way driving games are seen. It will redefine the very definition of “gaming” and “motorsports.”
Perhaps the greatest attraction of Gran Turismo SPORT is that it will bring racing experience to everyone, offering players of all ages the motorsports racing experience.

Gran Turismo SPORT will still offer plenty of enjoyment to those who have never experienced a driving game before—introducing them to how fun driving can be—while at the same time satisfy the demanding standards of the seasoned Gran Turismo player.
With more than 100 years of racing history, the FIA is the foremost player on the world’s motorsports stage, and the collaboration with
Gran Turismo SPORT is indeed historic. That is why Paris, France, was chosen as the place to make this announcement, as
it not only serves as the home of the FIA, but it’s where motor racing first started.
http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gtsport/

People really think they all of this for a prologue release?

Well, that's not odd. PD has a track record in releasing prologues. And now they announced a new GT title wich is not called "GT7". Maybe they should have named it "GT7 - Sports" or just presented more information.

TBiddy

Looks too good to be true o_O

That's because it is. None of these screenshots are in-game. Might be in-engine and photo-mode, though, but most racing games look fabulous in that mode.

That said, I have no doubt PD will once again take the crown, unless they have to compromise because of VR support.

danowat

Banned
Who said they did?

I have no idea where these assumptions come from.

the assumption is because it's focused on motorsport, which generally have fixed specifications of vehicles, GT has always been about taking a road car and tuning it and this product appears to move away from that.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
That's because it is. None of these screenshots are in-game. Might be in-engine and photo-mode, though, but most racing games look fabulous in that mode.

That said, I have no doubt PD will once again take the crown, unless they have to compromise because of VR support.

dont think they will settle for a compromise.
They will build a whole sperate render path for VR if i would have to guess.

Snubbers

Oh Yeah..

About time I had my proper racing fix on PS4!!!!!! Can't wait..

I hope that aside from the obvious lovely PD graphics, they really have improved the physics and audio!

Are they going to do some form of prologue? I loved the GT HD and 5 Prologue as appetisers to the full game..

the assumption is because it's focused on motorsport, which generally have fixed specifications of vehicles, GT has always been about taking a road car and tuning it and this product appears to move away from that.

From the OP: "GTPlanet can confirm that GT Sport will include three distinct game modes: “Campaign”, “Sports Mode”, and “Arcade Mode”."

Sounds like you would get your fix within the Campaign and Arcade modes here. Plus, as shown by Solidsnakeex, non-racing road cars are still there.

Loudninja

The multi award winning Gran Turismo series is coming exclusively to PlayStation 4...introducing GT Sport.

Building on its legacy as the most realistic and accessible driving simulator, GT Sport has partnered with the FIA to push the boundaries of racing games. In addition to everything you'd expect from a GT, the team at Polyphony and the FIA are introducing an online racing series that will be recognised alongside real world motor racing by the FIA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PwJf6Y244g

danowat

Banned
So GT is stepping away from the road car / upgrade / credit / XP progression curve then?

Or is there going to be this style of gameplay in one of the modes?

From the OP: "GTPlanet can confirm that GT Sport will include three distinct game modes: “Campaign”, “Sports Mode”, and “Arcade Mode”."

Sounds like you would get your fix within the Campaign and Arcade modes here. Plus, as shown by Solidsnakeex, non-racing road cars are still there.

So as I said in my post above then?, Campaign would likely be traditional GT (without race cars?) and Sports mode would be fixed spec motosports?

Daffy Duck

I'll be waiting on final reviews of this, GT has lost its way for me and there are more enjoyable racers about now.

Let's see if it delivers. I'll also have to see if this is a prologue sort of deal as its a little confusing where it sits.

JamboGT

List of current FIA events:

Code:
[i]Open-wheel racing:
[/i]
FIA Formula One World Championship 
FIA European Formula Three Championship 
FIA Formula E Championship 
FIA Masters Historic Formula One Championship 
FIA Lurani Trophy for Formula Junior Cars 
CIK-FIA Karting World Championship 

[i]Touring-car racing:[/i]

FIA World Touring Car Championship 
FIA European Touring Car Cup 

[i]Sports-car racing:
[/i]
FIA World Endurance Championship 
FIA Masters Historic Sports Car Championship 
Blancpain Sprint Series 

[i]Rallying:[/i]

FIA World Rally Championship 
FIA European Rally Championship 
FIA Middle East Rally Championship 
FIA African Rally Championship 
FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship 
FIA Alternative Energies Cup 
FIA NACAM Rally Championship 
FIA CODASUR South American Rally Championship 
FIA European Historic Rally Championship 
FIA European Rally Cup 
FIA Trophy for Historic Regularity Rallies 

[i]Off-Road:
[/i]
FIA Cross-Country Rally World Cup 
FIA World Rally Cross Championship (WRX) 
FIA European Rallycross Championship (ERX) 
FIA European Autocross Championship 

[i]Hillclimbing:[/i]

FIA European Hill Climb Championship 
FIA International Hill Climb Cup 
FIA Hill Climb Masters 
FIA Historic Hill Climb Championship 

[i]Other racing series:[/i]

FIA European Truck Racing Championship 
T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship 
FIA European Drag Racing Championship
Will be interesting to see how many of these make it into the game eventually.

It isn't that it is licensed by the FIA, it is sanctioned, same way each of these Championships is. That said many may make it in, who knows.

Extremely hyped for this. Esports is a dirty word around these parts, but racing sims actually deserve this name. Thanks for this thread. Is there a video of the stage presentation (Kaz) somewhere?

sublimit

Banned
I honestly couldn't care less about e-sports,FIA and all those real life prizes.

I just want GT to become once again a simple,functional,ambitious,fun driving experience.

I'm saying this as a fan since 1998 but who, like many others, skipped GT6.I still love the series but i miss the more "simple" times of the PS1 and PS2 eras.

Hoje0308

Banned
Isn't the Sport mode likely to be the e-sport portion of the game they're pushing? Seems to me the rest is traditional GT, whereas the unknown mode is the new thing we just heard about.

Avtomat

I could imagine GT Sport being positioned similarly to Project Cars.

Smaller vehie selection
Proper Motorsport rules
No car modification / tuning and race cars only

With some future GT going back to huge vehie selection and dumbed down physics with modifications

I could imagine GT Sport being positioned similarly to Project Cars.

Smaller vehie selection
Proper Motorsport rules
No car modification / tuning and race cars only

With some future GT going back to huge vehie selection and dumbed down physics with modifications

I want to see what happens when PD has time to focus on fewer cars and polish them to a ridiculous level in all aspects. This is the way to go for most hardcore sims. I think we could see something truly special.

Top Bottom