• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport is extremely limited in offline mode (no saves, unlocks, etc..)

They did not lock single player out. You can play every bit of single player content you want in this game without a PS plus subscription.

People keep saying this like it's a thing, but doesn't this quote from the article directly contradict this statement?

Campaign mode (the career mode that includes the notorious Gran Turismo driving school) is off limits while offline. Also unavailable offline: buying new cars, viewing your garage, editing car liveries, and even the "taking photos of fancy cars in exotic scenery" mode.

To say nothing of the claim that you can't save arcade mode unlocks while offline either. But that quote seems to say that you can't play campaign mode AT ALL while offline. That is the bulk of the game's single-player content. It sounds like you absolutely cannot play all of the single-player content while offline.

EDIT: Though if we're talking about PS+ specifically, I suppose it's likely GT Sport allows you to play campaign without a PS+ membership. The original article was about not having an online connection to the servers, so my bad.

ocean

Banned
I guess this is one of those topics where everybody is a service member in active duty in the middle or nowhere and/or spends his weekend in a countryside cabin with no internet playing video games?

I live in the third world and I have no clue who exactly is in the middle of the (has current-gen console and is buying new releases) | (doesn’t have an internet connection) Venn Diagram. Like I’m sure there’s some people but judging by forum concern trolls you’d think it was every other guy.

Effect

They knew, they just want to join the current mob cuz reasons. Nobody's gonna remember this a week from now.

Needing to be online for multiplayer racings was known. That the bulk of the normal racing content was tied to online and required PS+ was known. That the single player "campaign" was a bunch of challenges and the arcade mode was known.

That you had to have an Internet connection to save any progression (building cars, etc) in the single player (non PS+ content) was not known from what I can remember. That is completely brand new information to me. Anyone being surprised and upset by this is not fake out rage.

People keep saying this like it's a thing, but doesn't this quote from the article directly contradict this statement?

To say nothing of the claim that you can't save arcade mode unlocks while offline either. But that quote seems to say that you can't play campaign mode AT ALL while offline. That is the bulk of the game's single-player content. It sounds like you absolutely cannot play all of the single-player content while offline.

needing to be online and needing PSPlus are two different things.

Rodelero

Try reading what they wrote. You do need to be online (for almost everything). You do not need to have a PS+ subscription (except for multiplayer).

Tigress

You boycott games you don't buy? Is simply not buying a game because it's not for you considered a boycott?

This is asinine. Of course you don't buy a game you boycott. I used to love the gt franchise and racing games were a big thing I'd be interested in. To be fair for some reason five didn't catch me but I would have been interested if this was good. And it didn't have this online bullshit. The fact it does means I won't even consider it (it just makes it easier that I didn't care for 5). Same reason I don't consider project cars.

King_Moc

Banned
Ok I need to read this thread in case i'm missing something, but why would I want to play a game if I can't save any progress or unlock anything?

...because it's fun?

Is it just me that finds this crazy? Are you playing games, or watching bars slowly increase?

Kurdel

Banned
This is the first GT I bought, I had a blast with the beta.

I am an adult in 2017 privileged enough to always be in the presence of an Internet connexion, so I don’t care about the always online aspects of this game.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ok I need to read this thread in case i'm missing something, but why would I want to play a game if I can't save any progress or unlock anything?

Well if you're setting it up for VR mode only, there is nothing to unlock as I believe it's all unlocked from the get go.

To make it more clear:

Online, PS Plus sub: Everything available.

Online, no PS Plus subscription: everything available aside from online racing. Play all single player content, unlock stuff, save progress.

Offline: Arcade mode only. Everything in that mode is unlocked and available, no progression is saved.

Z3M0G

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...port/cid=UP9000-CUSA03220_00-GTSPORTS00000000

Online Play (Optional)

...because it's fun?

Is it just me that finds this crazy? Are you playing games, or watching bars slowly increase?

Holy shit...

Well if you're setting it up for VR mode only, there is nothing to unlock as I believe it's all unlocked from the get go.

Ok this is good to know, thank you. I didn't realize it is a separate mode with no progression. I thought you could play the entire game in VR.

dracula_x

Probably because people kept saying that it was only a demo and the full game would be different....

No. It was already known from GTS Online Manual. Several people posted link to the manual in that thread, plus it was available in the demo too.

KageMaru

I agree with you, but a less dramatic concern of mine is that it essentially keeps me from playing at all when I can't connect to the servers.

Online is the focus, but it would be nice to save progression when not connected. I don't think that an unreasonable request

No, it's not unreasonable at all. I hope they eventually patch it where offline content is entirety available when you can't connect online.

I don’t think “online” is a driving factor for people to play GT.

It's the clear focus in GTS though.

I guess this is one of those topics where everybody is a service member in active duty in the middle or nowhere and/or spends his weekend in a countryside cabin with no internet playing video games?

I live in the third world and I have no clue who exactly is in the middle of the (has current-gen console and is buying new releases) | (doesn’t have an internet connection) Venn Diagram. Like I’m sure there’s some people but judging by forum concern trolls you’d think it was every other guy.

DriveClub.
DriveClub.
DriveClub.

Do you people not remember DriveClub.

Also, let's talk about Gravity Rush 2, a Sony first-party game whose online functionality is set to be turned off in the next few months. That game isn't even a year old yet. What happens in a few years if you want to play GT Sport and the servers no longer exist?

The idea that no one should care unless they use a pringles can antenna to get internet access in their remote backwoods cabin is ALSO ridiculous. There are plenty of reasons to care that have nothing to do with the quality of your online connection.

YBdisk

aw yeah, now we're diving headfirst into wacky town. Let's keep this crazy train a-goin'!

But that's what's in the OP. You can't save shit unless you're online. Why do you have to be online if you just want to race a bit, get some credits, buy a new car and shut off the game? Tell me, what's so crazy about that? 😞

Peterthumpa

Probably people unsatisfied with the direction the series has taken that were not planning to buy the game anyway and are just enjoying an extra chance to shit on the game. I'm pretty sure most of them are the same people who says Nintendo sucks because it's 2017 and there's no online multiplayer in Nintendo game X or Y.

Also, let's talk about Gravity Rush 2, a Sony first-party game whose online functionality is set to be turned off in the next few months. That game isn't even a year old yet. What happens in a few years if you want to play GT Sport and the servers no longer exist?
People still using this scenario as an excuse to justify their hate to online only games is just plain ridiculous. Please, name one, ONE first party high caliber game that left their userbase devastaded by prematurely shutting down online services.

Effect

Lot of internet users complaining about using the internet while on the internet.

Some peoples connections are not the best or solid. Dropped connections take place. There are a number of reasons why one's console might be offline. Single player content though should never be tied to an online connection. Locking online content behind PS+ is one thing. I hate that as well but that's where we are. To go beyond that and lock saving in general, saving of all things, behind an online contention is stupid.

You have offline saves and online saves for the different modes. You don't lock off single player content because there is no online connection.

This thread is awesome.

People bitching about needing PS+ (They don't)
People bitching about it not being on the box (It is)
People bitching about not knowing it was an online focused game. (It's been marketed that way since the beginning)
People bitching in an online forum about not having their console online. (awesome)

My guess is most of the people bitching about this are going to be online playing a game tonight.

Z3M0G

No saves? Fuck off.

These kind of games need a "Requires Plus membership" sticker on the cover.

$60 for a demo, disgusting.

I MUST assume you can save progress without PS+... but you need PS+ to play Multiplayer.

"Online Play" seems to only refer to Multiplayer, in this case... which is BS. If your saves are online Only, and your progress is online Only, that needs to rest under the "Online Play" umbrella...

It's primarily an online game, this is correct.

"Online Play (Not So Optional)"

Can't believe there is a defense force for this.

MtZ9N.gif

This thread is awesome.

People bitching about not knowing it was an online focused game. (It's been marketed that way since the beginning)
People bitching in an online forum about not having their console online. (awesome)

My guess is most of the people bitching about this are going to be online playing a game tonight.

Lot of "diehard GT fans" in this thread with nary a clue about the latest GT. Seems very, very legitimate.

Chrisdk

Why isn't your PS4 online? Can't you just hotspot your phone?

It’s online when i’m home, but i have a second “vacation home”(not sure what it’s called in english). It’s a smaller house you use for vacations or weekends. No internet whatsoever there. Tbf It’s not like i would be playing it much there, but it just feels wrong to support shitty practices. It’s like the original Xbox One. There is zero reason to lock it behind online. And you just know that next time more will get locked behind online. How many years before offline is completely gone. It’s all these shitty practices like removing offline features, microtransactions and loot boxes that are all over the place. It’s getting worse and worse.

I don’t subscribe to any of the multiplayer services. If I really need to play something online I have a PC with keyboard/headset/etc for communication

That's not what's being discussed here though. We're talking consoles that aren't connected to the Internet at all.

The concern is more PD's servers, which is a valid one.

Not excusing the folks that went pants on head crazy by comparing one game to an entire console.

That is a valid concern but this is pretty close to gaas so I'd imagine the servers will be up for a long time.

Heroman

Banned
This thread is awesome.

It is as if this is a long-term flash eyes as has been mostly offline only and what about the people like my brother who has terrible internet goes in and out and love the series is he bitching about this?

Zemm

What happens when they take the servers down? (rhetorical question)

You can still play GT3 (the GOAT) now, 16 years later, that won't be possible with GT Sport after probably 4.

I mean it is what it is. Contrary to what a lot of people were insisting in the past, this is not GT7 under another name; it's an online eSport-focused spin-off of the series. With that in mind, it makes sense that the player's state is stored on a remote server rather than on the console itself.

If you're not interested in competing online, there's really no reason for you to be buying the game at all!

DriveClub.
DriveClub.
DriveClub.

Do you people not remember DriveClub.

The idea that no one should care unless they use a pringles can antenna to get internet access in their remote backwoods cabin is ALSO ridiculous. There are plenty of reasons to care that have nothing to do with the quality of your online connection.

If GT had no SP content at all it'd be different but with it having that content being locked to your inet connection to even save sp content is a bit disconcerting. The real question is how they're going to approach the next numbered GT title assuming this isn't seen as a main entry in the series.

Reallink

No, it's not unreasonable at all. I hope they eventually patch it where offline content is entirety available when you can't connect online.

It's the clear focus in GTS though.

Wait, so how is the online integrated that makes it such a focus? I thought this was a traditional GT, I have no interest in playing online troll bumper cars destruction derby.

OGBOBBYJOHNSON

Neo Member
I remember when one of the main complaints about need for speed 2015 was that it was always online and aside from other things, that put many people off the game. I played the beta it was beautiful, but always online Is not good guysssss, imagine getting on after a long ass day, ready to play and you see “no connection to server”. That is the type of stuff that honesty sucks lol

nikos

Not sure if this is true. The servers went down while I was playing the beta. I put my PS4 in rest mode and all of my progress was still there when I turned it on the next day.

Also, there’s a lot to do offline between license tests, missions, etc. More than I anticipated.

Heroman

Banned
I mean it is what it is. Contrary to what a lot of people were insisting in the past, this is not GT7 under another name; it's an online eSport-focused spin-off of the series. With that in mind, it makes sense that the player's state is stored on a remote server rather than on the console itself.

If you're not interested in competing online, there's really no reason for you to be buying the game at all!
So I got to wait like 7 years for next gT game what kind of bull shit is that?

Top Bottom